• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2015 |OT| The Disappearance of YEAARRT!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Etotama - 06

Probably my favorite episode so far. Great fight, fun moments and progression. Based Shima-tan

anslgc.gif

xzgwzs.gif
I feel like I'm missing out on some crazy good fighting scenes not watching this. But then I see the character designs and feel like if I did watch it my blood sugar would rise to a point that I'd get diabetes. Too much moe. Too much cute.

Tamako Market was very "Meh" specially after watching Hyouka. The movie was great though, the bird not being there made me enjoy it 10x more.

Different goals of production. The Hyouka anime series was written for Yonezawa's characters to develop over the course of a year through focus on the characters themselves. It also had 23 episodes to gradually spread the focus towards through the original novels. Tamako Market was an anime-original series that had 12 episodes and chose to focus on the surrounding individuals in the market bit-by-bit instead of solely on Tamako herself (who got the movie instead). It leaves the viewer a bit confused as the person everything revolves around isn't really expanded upon or detailed in the series, so she seems to be more of a minor character than in a show like Hyouka. Yamada had an interesting idea, but the execution of it wasn't as good as she may have intended.

(It took me another try and watching of the series to really appreciate it more. Dera never bothered me though.)

I feel like I'm missing out on some crazy good fighting scenes not watching this. But then I see the character designs and feel like if I did watch it my blood sugar would rise to a point that I'd get diabetes. Too much moe. Too much cute.

Cajun and I would like a word with you ..

In short : Watch it , it's FUN !
Fun da best , it's also an anime that doesn't take itself seriously !

Midonin

Punchline 06

I know that Marina Inoue has a track record with androgynous characters - Natsuru comes to mind, as does her turn in Gyrozetter where she played both Kakeru and his mother. Finding out that
Yuuta is actually Yuu, really a girl, though everyone identifies him with male pronouns
makes me wonder what greater effect this will have on the plot. Speaking of the plot, now that we're invested (well, I'm invested) enough in the characters, that particular train can get running. This does feel very VN-like, and in all my time of playing VNs, if there's even a slight bit of fantasy or sci-fi leaning, how does one make the medium fit the story, a medium where making choices and doing time loops are the core gameplay mechanic?

Time loops. Miyazawa Kenji is another Yuuta, but the main goal at this point isn't to say "I got it right", it's to ask "Why?" The time warp is starting again, and I am looking forward to it. Still wish Rabura kept her original character design, but otherwise, this has been one of the shows I've looked forward to most this season. A sense of absurdity and conspiracy, eros and pathos, wordplay and time travel. This feels like something only Japan's culture could produce, a blend of its pop culture ephemera of robots and superheroes, mystics and recluses.

And it is exciting as hell.

Cornbread78

Stella Women's Academy High School Division Class C3 ep. 5-9:
I am so confused right now.. I mean, I understand what Yura did, but why? It makes no sense.... Why would she do that? Uggh, this is drama.. that is just ignorance stubborness... uughh, I hate girls like that.

Different goals of production. The Hyouka anime series was written for Yonezawa's characters to develop over the course of a year through focus on the characters themselves. It also had 23 episodes to gradually spread the focus towards through the original novels. Tamako Market was an anime-original series that had 12 episodes and chose to focus on the surrounding individuals in the market bit-by-bit instead of solely on Tamako herself (who got the movie instead). It leaves the viewer a bit confused as the person everything revolves around isn't really expanded upon or detailed in the series, so she seems to be more of a minor character than in a show like Hyouka. Yamada had an interesting idea, but the execution of it wasn't as good as she may have intended.

(It took me another try and watching of the series to really appreciate it more. Dera never bothered me though.)
Oh yeah I do realize that comparing both is like comparing pears to apples, but putting genres and all that aside, I just didn't enjoy Tamako as much as I thought I would. The show looked great, the story was alright... Maybe it was the bird lmfao. For some reason he pissed me off and he stole a lot of time from each episode. I liked the movie a lot because we got to see the characters interact without that silly bird I think.

Maybe I'll give it a shot, but no offence to the genre or anything, it's just not for me. I can have SOME moe in there, but when the show is dripping in it, I just can't do it lol.

Theonik

Stella Women's Academy High School Division Class C3 ep. 1-4

Ok, well, I took a break from Sabagebu since you can pick it up and watch at any time and started watching this... Straight away, this series has a totaly different tone and feel to it than Sabagebu; they are not even close. Stella has a "slice of life" tone to it and feels like it will go through Yura's "coming of age" story. It's does not feel geared towards a drama, a comedy and/or anything else thus far; it's just there. Does a central plot develope in the story line for the series? Does it turn Madoka at some point. Does one of teh members confuse the airsoft gun for a real one and go on a rampage? It's the blond one, right? I'll keep watching to see where it goes, but so far Sabagebu was much more entertaining. This feels like a lighthearted romp through a teanager's school time.
Stella is really bad bail while you still can.

Does it have a blood pumping soundtrack?
I doubt they can even hope to match the UNTS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doEwWzMz99A

Yeah I see where you're coming from. Took me a few episodes to get used to it.

Cornbread78

Not the reaction I was hoping for, but I'll check back in when you finish the series.

There was a line from You're Lie in April about "Finding oneself during a serious competition" that rings true here but in a grander way.... I'll try to do a write up shortly, I'm almost done...

EDIT, is Episode 13 an add-on? It's not in-line with the rest of the story, right?

Mikagura Gakuen - 06

Intresting to see how the show changed gears ..
i must admit that i'm actually surprised because some of those changes were unexpected.

That ending , was unexpected... is the poor green haired guy/girl cursed to lose every fight animated in this show, lol ?

Midonin

EDIT, is Episode 13 an add-on? It's not in-line with the rest of the story, right?
That's how it goes with a lot of anime. There's a regular broadcast run that completes the story, and a bonus episode (usually DVD-only) that has the cast doing something a little more light-hearted, a little goofier than the previous content. Often a beach/fanservicey episode, but not always.

It just so happened that due to broadcast scheduling, Stella's aired on TV.

Cornbread78

Stella Women's Academy High School Division Class C3 ep. 9-END (ep.12):
Hmm, I almost have to let this one set in for awhile, since there was soo much going on at teh end. It is a Coming of Age story in regards to mental maturity more than anything else. It did take awhile to get to that main point but it had a good message about believing in yourself first and letting things happen around you organically, rather that forcing your believes what you want to be onto others. The end was touching in a good way and made me smile with happiness.... I might type more later, but time to clear outta the office, lol.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Who knows, maybe it'll get a full series sometime, but for now just an OVA has been announced.

Of course, that the Achiga OVA hasn't been translated is not a good sign for Biyori; unlike the pretty straightforward Achiga OVA, Biyori, as a 4koma, really relies on knowing what people are saying. I really hope it (and the Achiga one too of course) gets translated.

In other Saki news, Ritz FINALLY just finished a new chapter of Saki after a two-issue break (so the last chapter was six weeks ago)... and in it we learn that there won't be a chapter next issue either, come back in a month. Argh.
Maybe the Saki fanbase isn't as big as we thought it was. lol
And I have no doubt that Biyori will be done before the main series is even close. Time to think up new spinoffs... maybe the guy can finally have his own series. :p

The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya 01/25 (Dear God this is confusing.)
Breathtaking cinematography, intricate storyline and the best narrator in business. Kyon is a natural at this. I want to him to narrate every Discovery/National Geographic documentary now.

Think I will staywith the broadcast order for now and see how it goes.
I forgot the show started with their home movie. What an amazing way to start the series, since it gives you all the context without actually being exposition.

cajunator

Banned

it wasnt that it was anime but the language used. I can see why it got them in trouble. however its an internet meme and probably a lot of people outside of the loop dont know its just a joke picture.

Etotama - 06

Probably my favorite episode so far. Great fight, fun moments and progression. Based Shima-tan

anslgc.gif

xzgwzs.gif

Yeah the animation is pretty exciting. Its too frenetic for some but its my kind of humor and cuteness.

This.

Cornbread78

A lot of truth here. The show is a lot of fun, and ep. 5 proved its stance that it's just fun. Obviously, there is an adventure/story behind it and we got some progress there today, but this series shouldn't be missed.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Punchline 06

I know that Marina Inoue has a track record with androgynous characters - Natsuru comes to mind, as does her turn in Gyrozetter where she played both Kakeru and his mother. Finding out that
Yuuta is actually Yuu, really a girl, though everyone identifies him with male pronouns
makes me wonder what greater effect this will have on the plot. Speaking of the plot, now that we're invested (well, I'm invested) enough in the characters, that particular train can get running. This does feel very VN-like, and in all my time of playing VNs, if there's even a slight bit of fantasy or sci-fi leaning, how does one make the medium fit the story, a medium where making choices and doing time loops are the core gameplay mechanic?

Time loops. Miyazawa Kenji is another Yuuta, but the main goal at this point isn't to say "I got it right", it's to ask "Why?" The time warp is starting again, and I am looking forward to it. Still wish Rabura kept her original character design, but otherwise, this has been one of the shows I've looked forward to most this season. A sense of absurdity and conspiracy, eros and pathos, wordplay and time travel. This feels like something only Japan's culture could produce, a blend of its pop culture ephemera of robots and superheroes, mystics and recluses.

And it is exciting as hell.

I got to admit it didn't see that particular truth bomb coming, and it is honestly the most interesting development Punchline has laid out thus far.
I saw the time loop coming early when they revealed Yuta could hop back in time. The Jin-Roh looking mother fucker just bored me since he was more or less a plot device to finally get some much needed back story. This whole deal with Yuta is confounding my head since I am not exactly sure if we are dealing with either a very intriguing and complicated transgendered situation or we have protagnist that somehow found a way to be a more perverted lesbian than Eruna, which is a feat in and of itself.

Cornbread78

Your Lie in april is something I put in my queue but didnt know how good it was till now. Im looking forward to marathoning it.

It's got feels for sure, but also a great message behind it as well. Again, prepare yourself, it hits those feels hard.... but it is all worth it. I got kinda chocked up several times watching the series.. The ending could have added a little more content to it, but it pulls at your heartstrings all the same; it was excellant and surprising, which gets you again just thinking about it. Also, wear headphones when you watch it if you can; Great music..

J@hranimo

Banned
Punchline 6

I kinda jumped on this anime while browsing new additions on Crunchyroll, and it was intriguing with the first episode. Episodes 2-4 were just kinda here and there, not much going one which almost made me want to drop it...but with the ending of episode 5 and all of episode 6? Oh yeah they got my full attention.

We Back.

cajunator

Banned
It's got feels for sure, but also a great message behind it as well. Again, prepare yourself, it hits those feels hard.... but it is all worth it. I got kinda chocked up several times watching the series.. The ending could have added a little more content to it, but it pulls at your heartstrings all the same; it was excellant and surprising, which gets you again just thinking about it. Also, wear headphones when you watch it if you can; Great music..

I think I am a brick when it comes to getting emotional. I just cant for some reason.
Still probably would enjoy it though.

Midonin

I've been writing several paragraphs long posts on it every week! As far as kids' merchandise-based idol shows go, it's pretty good. Makoto Moriwaki has an eye for striking a balance between comedy, life lessons and even a bit of drama.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
OreGairu/SNAFU - Episodes 3-5, Isshiki Iroha for President (Notice Me Senpai) Arc

Everyone's mad at each other for reasons that continue to make no sense. I guess they're mad because he hurts himself (he didn't?) Or is it because he's just fake-solved Hina's problems by putting shit off? Oh wait, Yui's reason for being mad at Hachiman is obvious, given she's coming over to hug him and massage his hair. With previous interests like Orimoto, I suppose I don't blame him for being oblivious, but teenage girls don't come over in private to run their hands through your hair for no reason, Hachiman.

Anyways, Hachiman has a bubbly new kohai and spends about eight seconds convincing her to be president, which works for no real reason other than Isshiki is gullible as fuck. Isshiki must not watch any anime; anime student council is the equivalent of being the President of the United States in terms of how much time it takes. In any case, Hachiman preserves his friendship-group of not-friends and earns lots of Komachi points.

....and then the next episode of the new arc, Yukino still mad. For reasons. Hug it out, people.

Thoraxes

Excellent post. I've been looking forward to your impressions / reactions / observations to the episodes, and this one delivered!
Thanks! I've been kinda backlogged with anime recently, so it was nice to get back and watch an episode!
You've pretty much nailed what makes this so good. Great write up!
Thanks! I really like writing about this show. I'll have to go back and get the links for my other two reviews too.
Wow, this is an amazing level of detail.
It really is incredible that they are paying that much attention to all of that. Blows me away.

Damn I'm not watching this, but if true that's really impressive. 90% of the audience wouldn't pick it up, but they thought that far ahead about it.
For this stuff you can definitely trust my observations! I've been in music for over 20 years and have a bachelor's and master's degree in composition.

Punchline - 04

Don't mind me , i'm the suspicious character that know more than he should and carelessly forgot to tell you , that you had a time limit!

But , please continue as usual !

Ninja Slayer 05

I really enjoy this weekly dose of shittyness but I'm already reciting a death haiku for those who want to bingewatch it after it aired though. This kind of show only works when you watch it in small bursts.

Darkninja killing that other guy was hype. SAYONARA!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom