• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2015 |OT| The Disappearance of YEAARRT!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jex

But it's not as if NGE even has poor animation. It's limited and stunted in spots, but on the whole it's still entirely serviceable and solid.

I mean, now you're almost making the debate purely one of semantics. When the animation is extremely limited (or even non-existent) as it is in some places of the series then that's another way of saying that it's poor.
Arguably yes. It very cleverly disguises it's lower budget and is generally a visually interesting show in most places where it didn't fall completely apart.
I feel like slightly over-emphasizing how much of the show is plagued by budget/production difficulties. There are obviously large swatches of the later half of the series that are extremely limited in terms of frame count, but there are also huge chunks of the series that look just fine.
Though I suppose there is also a question there about whether an anime with subpar animation can be classified as looking good.
Is that really a question because it feels like this has been answered many times. I mean, technically speaking, Japanese animation is built on limited (hence, supbar) animation, especially compared to the West, and it's pretty clear that lots of it is extremely good looking.

Narag

JoJo's Bizarre Adventures Stardust Crusaders 43

bWvLWp9l.jpg

Like I mentioned on IRC, the Egypt portion of Stardust Crusaders may end up better than Battle Tendency after this and assuming they nail Dio's World. I'm confident they will too.

Thoraxes

Funimation's not always had the best of luck with limited amounts of LEs. Some LEs produced for about 3-5k units still haven't sold out a couple years later. The whole 5,000 units may sound like a lot, but barring an exceedingly popular show or one that's really recent, it's not. For every Cowboy Bebop that sells out of the 12k LEs produced, there's a Fujiko Mine that still has LEs to this very day when it was released 2 years ago. My own personal opinion is that the 5k won't move out that quickly.
Very true, though those are usually just regular copies that cone with chipboard boxes.

ibyea

Banned
HIbike Euphonium 5
In which
the club finally gets it together and performs admirably as a marching band.
Also, wow at that lighting and animation when Reina pulled her hair back.

Ojamajo Doremi Sharp 1
Those new outfits and porons are pretty cool. I also like the clapping transformation a whole lot too. The baby is totally adorable, and I guess Onpu is a part of the group now. At least she isn't doing that forbidden magic anymore.

She does do more forbidden magic. That being being the best of them all.

That being said, I can't wait for the Sharp Movie+ep40 combo from you.

Syrinx

Ojamajo Doremi Sharp 1
Those new outfits and porons are pretty cool. I also like the clapping transformation a whole lot too. The baby is totally adorable, and I guess Onpu is a part of the group now. At least she isn't doing that forbidden magic anymore.

Hana-chan is the single cutest character in all of anime.

How many potential girlfriends does Hachiman actually have in that damned show? By the time I bailed in S1 even his darn sister seemed to want him to some degree.

I dunno, this show is well regarded here (by most watching it anyways) but to me it felt like just another generic, kind of wish fulfillment LN adaptation with another supposedly jaded and loner-type MC getting close to tons of chicks anyways, even if that goes against these characteristics. And when a show tries really hard to tell me what kind of character someone is but what I'm then presented just doesn't match that at all, I put off majorly.

Mature

I mean, now you're almost making the debate purely one of semantics. When the animation is extremely limited (or even non-existent) as it is in some places of the series then that's another way of saying that it's poor.
I guess I'd argue that the rate of which it is poor or non-existent isn't enough to color the whole shows run as being poorly animated— which seems to be the stigma phaze was operating on. It's a good looking show for a variety of reasons.

Mandelbo

I have no idea, I'm not in any mood at all.... I might just keep watching Chobits, but I don;t know. I want to laugh and cry at the same time, lol.

Seriously, Love Lab is brilliant. Of all the anime I watched last year, it's one of the best. You won't regret watching it!

tumblr_mphut3WWNy1r2pvg2o1_500.gif

tumblr_muzjt6ds9e1sihyr3o1_500.gif

Ojamajo Doremi Sharp 1

I need to up my game... I'm only on episode 31!

jbug617

Banned
How many potential girlfriends does Hachiman actually have in that damned show? By the time I bailed in S1 even his darn sister seemed to want him to some degree.

I dunno, this show is well regarded here (by most watching it anyways) but to me it felt like just another generic, kind of wish fulfillment LN adaptation with another supposedly jaded and loner-type MC getting close to tons of chicks anyways, even if that goes against these characteristics. And when a show tries really hard to tell me what kind of character someone is but what I'm then presented just doesn't match that at all, I put off majorly.

Realistically I would say 3 (Yukino, Yui, and Iroha). Rest of them care about him but nothing romantic.

Syrinx

It is. People like it because it's a manga adaptation (not a LN) animated by Shaft, and it's filled with more character facial expressions and (i assume so anyway) much better animation than you usually get from harem LN adaptations.

At least I think that's why people like it. Nisekoi was always strange to me with it being one of the few popular harem anime around here.

wrong show bruh

JoJo's Bizarre Adventures Stardust Crusaders 43

Like I mentioned on IRC, the Egypt portion of Stardust Crusaders may end up better than Battle Tendency after this and assuming they nail Dio's World. I'm confident they will too.

I like Part 3 more then Part 2 because Part 3's ending sections are amazing, and when I think of all the great moments in Part 3 there are way, way more then Part 2. It's also longer to be fair

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"

The main two, plus Iroha, but its mostly just ship-tease. I guess Yui is pretty explicitly into him.

The sister isn't into him, you just would assume so since when she describes the kind of guy she liked, it was basically just a description of Hachiman. That's not actually a thing that's unusual (lots of girls like men who have similar personalities to their brothers or fathers), its just that its anime in 2015 so the assumption is that she actually likes her brother.

Shokugeki no Soma - 07

Really? You had options like leopard and USA theme, yet you chose that bra? I haven't been this disappointed since Dexter.
I would've wanted a bit more time on how they cooked and prepared the dishes. Her dish turned from a lump of meat to three dishes of lewd meat roses in a jiffy. Go full HxH and dedicate like 8 episodes to the cooking of Don!

Anyway, I enjoyed the episode a lot as usual. Megumi making me go doki doki and Meat can swing a tie. All is well.

jbug617

Banned
How 'many' does this rest consist of?

Shizuka (Teacher)
Komachi (Sister)
Haruna (Yukino's Sister)

The other girls in the story are just there (Kaori, Saki, Meguri, Ebina etc) to progress the story.

I don't know a lot about what happens in the LN so who knows if someone else comes into the story.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
How 'many' does this rest consist of?
Like 5 girls and a bunch of guys? Hina (the glasses girl), Saki (the girl with the huge family), Miura (the Alpha Bitch girl), Haruna (Yukino's sister), Komachi (that line was worth a lot of Komachi points).

None of them are into him at all. For what's its worth I don't think Yukino is romantically into him at all, either.

Shizuka (Teacher)
Komachi (Sister)
Haruna (Yukino's Sister)

The other girls in the story are just there (Kaori, Saki, Meguri, Ebina etc) to progress the story.

I don't know a lot about what happens in the LN so who knows if someone else comes into the story.

There are only 10 volumes of the LN and this arc is basically the middle of Volume 9, so if there are, you'll find out soon enough.

Cornbread78

H&C it is then :)

I have to get used to that "water color" style artwork, from the first episode, it looks like both dudes are going to fight over "Honey" while "Clover" watches, lol.

Seriously, Love Lab is brilliant. Of all the anime I watched last year, it's one of the best. You won't regret watching it!

tumblr_mphut3WWNy1r2pvg2o1_500.gif

tumblr_muzjt6ds9e1sihyr3o1_500.gif

nice gifs, those can be reused, lol. Show looks like it could be fun. Is it just a straight slice if life, school, comedy?

Shizuka (Teacher)
Komachi (Sister)
Haruna (Yukino's Sister)

Like 5 girls and a bunch of guys? Hina (the glasses girl), Saki (the girl with the huge family), Miura (the Alpha Bitch girl), Haruna (Yukino's sister), Komachi (that line was worth a lot of Komachi points).

None of them are into him at all. For what's its worth I don't think Yukino is romantically into him at all, either.

There are only 10 volumes of the LN and this arc is basically the middle of Volume 9, so if there are, you'll find out soon enough.

'Aight, thanks for the replies.

ibyea

Banned
Yona of the Dawn 13
Yona meets the blue dragon and confronts him like a badass. They also found out what's up with the villagers.

Puruzi

Banned
Soma 7

I wanna post images but I don't wanna get sent to the shadow realm.
Basically Best Girl: The Episode. Foodgasm was yesssssss

Mandelbo

nice gifs, those can be reused, lol. Show looks like it could be fun. Is it just a straight slice if life, school, comedy?

It's a comedy about a group of girls who research love and fix love-related problems that other students have. There is a loose story that ties all the episodes together, but it's secondary to the humour, which is consistently great. It's very fun to watch and adorable to boot :D

Theonik

I feel like slightly over-emphasizing how much of the show is plagued by budget/production difficulties. There are obviously large swatches of the later half of the series that are extremely limited in terms of frame count, but there are also huge chunks of the series that look just fine.
Is that really a question because it feels like this has been answered many times. I mean, technically speaking, Japanese animation is built on limited (hence, supbar) animation, especially compared to the West, and it's pretty clear that lots of it is extremely good looking.
Well there is limited animation, and there is having large parts of episodes composed of stills. NGE looks good for the most part and works great with its creative restrictions. but the production became a complete mess at some point and it shows in the final product.
I mean, I can't in good conscience give props to a show doing 700 frame episodes. It feels like cheating.

Can't say I enjoy Ore Monogatari particularly much as the relationship, while untypical for anime, feels uninteresting as hell. The purity antics of the last two episodes were just kinda lame. It's not an uninteresting topic but going about this stuff with hand-holding eh... of course that's not "impure". If she had voiced actual interest in sex—not 'impure' either but socially a more difficult topic—or s.th., which of course wouldn't fit this character, I wouldn't mind this kind of angle at all. KareKano was extremely good about this topic btw.

However I'll still have to keep watching if there are more scenes like the extremely glorious last sequence of this 6th episode; holy shit that was hilarious.

Angry Grimace

Can't say I enjoy Ore Monogatari particularly much as the relationship, while untypical for anime, feels uninteresting as hell. The purity antics of the last two episodes were just kinda lame. It's not an uninteresting topic but going about this stuff with hand-holding eh... of course that's not "impure". If she had voiced actual interest in sex or s.th., which of course wouldn't fit this character, I wouldn't mind this kind of angle at all. KareKano was extremely good about this topic btw.

However I'll still have to keep watching if there are more scenes like the extremely glorious last sequence of this 6th episode; holy shit that was hilarious.

I think I would have found it more interesting and funny if it main plot was Suna's sister picking up on Takeo.

That body.

Those lips.

No wonder she's the only girl Bell has fallen for and continues to spill his spaghetti over.

Grandpa Z was is such a good role model too.

Shame he couldn't go through with it.

Shortstack gonna get rekt

Angry Grimace

I rather wonder if and when there's gonna be any kind of world building as to why there are literal gods living with random dudes. And trying to fuck them.

Sterok

Nagato Yuki 7

It's called The Disappearance of Nagato Yuki because that's what happens to her screen-time. If her name wasn't in the title I'd think this was the Ryoko/Haruhi show. Ryoko, you're supposed to be cheering on Yuki, not stealing her scenes. Haruhi, you already had 2 seasons. Otherwise a relaxing and comedic episode. Haruhi gets stuff done. Ryoko is the only one that can control Haruhi. Tsuruya eats Haruhi's antics right up. Mikuru manages to be more likeable than she is in the original. I think it helps that she doesn't suffer nearly as much abuse.

Funimation just picked up Hosoda's new movie, the Boy and the Beast. Pretty expected, as they also have Summer Wars and Wolf Children. I think they'll be re-releasing The Girl Who Leapt Through Time at some point too.

Adding a bit to this, the international rights holder for Summer Wars, Wolf Children, and Boy and the Beast (pointless note: also the holder for the new Eva movies (though not the old)) is NTV. NTV and Funimation have a good working relationship.

The Girl Who Leapt Through Time had and still likely has rights held by Kadokawa Pictures/Shoten/whatever the fuck Kadokawa grouped that into now since they picked up the film for broader distribution/home video. It's quite probable Funi will get it, but they don't have the best relationship together (Funi tried to sabotage the domestic Kadokawa releases in February/March 2012 which has instituted a BD-holdback for all Kadokawa titles from Funi).

The new Hosada movie BD-Box is being sold by NTV/Studio Chizu with support from VAP, but being distributed by Kadokawa, so there may be some transfer for TGWLTT, but that's speculation at this point.

Cornbread78

I rather wonder if and when there's gonna be any kind of world building as to why there are literal gods living with random dudes. And trying to fuck them.

Because they are lonely? Really though, they have been hinting at a bigger plot the last few episodes, so I have a feeling we are going to learn a lot more pretty soon. My buddy bought the manga/ ln but I told him to STFU and don't say anything, lol.

And and take a look at Greek mythology and how those gods act.

Ojamajo Doremi Sharp 1

I do love the transformation seqence in Sharp (Although Doremi's transformation in Motto is my favourite one of the lot).

Angry Grimace

Because they are lonely? Really though, they have been hinting at a bigger plot the last few episodes, so I have a feeling we are going to learn a lot more pretty soon. My buddy bought the manga/ ln but I told him to STFU and don't say anything, lol.

And and take a look at Greek mythology and how those gods act.

Yeah, but Zeus didn't exactly ask when he decided he thought some human was hot.

It usually involved him transforming into a goat. Because this helps you pick up human women.

sonicmj1

Reminds me of this rant about Boku ha Tomodachi ga Sukunai, aka I Have Few Friends, the light novel/anime about a guy with no friends who spends his time hanging out with a bunch of girls.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom