• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2015 |OT| The Disappearance of YEAARRT!

Status
Not open for further replies.
How many potential girlfriends does Hachiman actually have in that damned show? By the time I bailed in S1 even his darn sister seemed to want him to some degree.

I dunno, this show is well regarded here (by most watching it anyways) but to me it felt like just another generic, kind of wish fulfillment LN adaptation with another supposedly jaded and loner-type MC getting close to tons of chicks anyways, even if that goes against these characteristics. And when a show tries really hard to tell me what kind of character someone is but what I'm then presented just doesn't match that at all, I put off majorly.

Realistically, there's 1 in the anime (2 if you count Iroha, who's starting to warm up to him), with a bunch of other girls that he's friends with that care about him. His little sister likes to tease him but it isn't some creepy incestuous bullshit like some other shows. Its set in high school and he's in a club that helps people so of course there will be lots of girls (and guys) in the cast.

Not sure whats so generic or wish fulfillment about the show. He's not some total loser that continues to build a harem despite having with zero good qualities. People care about him cause hes a good dude. He's getting developed nicely.

Maybe the Saki fanbase isn't as big as we thought it was. lol
And I have no doubt that Biyori will be done before the main series is even close. Time to think up new spinoffs... maybe the guy can finally have his own series. :p
Well, the mangas seem to be doing fine, but I think each of the three animes sold less than the one before it, which is not a good trend. The most recent season (The Nationals) still did decently enough that more Saki anime is likely, but the first Saki anime did better.

I can think of a few reasons why -- the long breaks between seasons can't be helping, for one; for anyone who doesn't follow the manga yearlong to multiyear breaks between seasons is a long time to wait. Ritz is slow at drawing.

Also, Biyori I guess must not be as popular as the main series -- I mean, the manga was the first Saki spinoff and started before Achiga-hen, but only now is it finally getting an anime, and it's just a single OVA. I hope it does well and they make more!

There's plenty more animes they could make if sales hold up -- a full Biyori series, more main-series Saki if the Nationals ever finish (it's still the semifinal round, Saki's match is about to start), and a Shinohayu (the current spinoff manga from the artist who drew Achiga-hen) anime as well of course. I hope it happens, but we'll see.

How many potential girlfriends does Hachiman actually have in that damned show? By the time I bailed in S1 even his darn sister seemed to want him to some degree.

I dunno, this show is well regarded here (by most watching it anyways) but to me it felt like just another generic, kind of wish fulfillment LN adaptation with another supposedly jaded and loner-type MC getting close to tons of chicks anyways, even if that goes against these characteristics. And when a show tries really hard to tell me what kind of character someone is but what I'm then presented just doesn't match that at all, I put off majorly.
Yeah, SNAFU has some pretty good parts, but the more harem-anime parts are definitely not its better moments. What was it, ep. 2 of the first season, that had that INCREDIBLY stupid moment where the MC wins that tennis match through that insane wind direction thing? That was really dumb. The OVA that followed S1 was pretty dumb as well. And yet some other parts are pretty good... but still, there's a definite harem otaku-wish-fulfillment to the show, yeah, and it'd probably be better without it.

The idiotic incest-bait "jokes" are a serious lowlight as well, of course.

Yeah Momoka is great. she literally doesnt give a damn about anything. But not in a villainous way somehow.
She just wants to win! Yeah, she's pretty cruel, but somehow doesn't come across as a villain... she's just a great and funny protagonist and will do anything to win. :)

Of course, being as great a show as it was, I imagine they'll never make more (good animes rarely get followups, etc.).

Stardust Crusaders 43

AlAeZNl.gif

DanMachi 07

- Gets roundhouse kicked straight in the face
- "It's not your fault"

Our hero ladies and gentlemen.

WTF at that sleeping scene though.

Nisekoi: Episode 6
CFFgL7WWoAAy22b.jpg

Scene made me think the writer made a last minute decision to make Tsugumi female. I think it would have made the series fun if she had been male and had a thing for Ichijou. Instead were just left with Shu as the male character. Though that scene was funny to imagine Shu being worried he gave Ichijou the wrong idea.

I love when Ichijou does his eye thing.
CFFj4liWMAAuCi5.jpg

Canonically speaking it wont make sense to have a non Onodera ending. She's the only one that consistently puts in any effort. Chitoge scenes feel so lifeless and forced. Plus Ichijou only sees her as a gorilla.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Yeah, SNAFU has some pretty good parts, but the more harem-anime parts are definitely not its better moments. What was it, ep. 2 of the first season, that had that INCREDIBLY stupid moment where the MC wins that tennis match through that insane wind direction thing? That was really dumb. The OVA that followed S1 was pretty dumb as well. And yet some other parts are pretty good... but still, there's a definite harem otaku-wish-fulfillment to the show, yeah, and it'd probably be better without it.

The idiotic incest-bait "jokes" are a serious lowlight as well, of course.

I feel weird defending the propriety of a modern anime, but I don't get the complaint of incest moments in that particular anime.

Ojamajo Doremi 7:
This was quite a fun episode. Doremi following Pop secretly and trying to keep her out of trouble was quite amusing, especially as she kept wasting magic only for Pop to figure things out on her own. But then it all leads up to the moment where she really does have to save the day, and although it presents her with a bit of a dilemma, she makes the choice quite easily. It's a moment requiring a lot of maturity from her.

Then sadly we get to the exam and Doremi messes up, although at least in part because she was given a rather bizarre task, compared to the pretty straightforward ones that Hadzuki and Aiko got. It's a setback for her, but only a minor one.
This show continues to be carried both by the quality character writing as well as the excellent art. Every episode is a joy to watch.

I feel weird defending the propriety of a modern anime, but I don't get the complaint of incest moments in that particular anime.

A lot of the interactions between him and his sister exist exclusively to get incest fans more interested in the series, there's no other explanation for any of that.

Aureon

Please do not let me serve on a jury. I am actually a crazy person.
The Continuous Bullying of Asahina Mikuru 04/07

Whether its Jojo or Haruhi, baseball will never be not boring.

I should probably learn the rules one of these days though.

This
aliens angle
is so weird.

Watch \ Read One Outs!!
I loathe sports manga\series\whatever, but that thing was pure genius.

zulux21

Watch \ Read One Outs!!
I loathe sports manga\series\whatever, but that thing was pure genius.

If I recall right you will have to do both. I don't believe there is manga translations for the second half of the anime (though there is for everything after)

either way, I totally agree... it's like if you took the tension of death note and applied it to betting on baseball instead, it's a great ride.

Cornbread78

Dude the arc that starts right from where the show left off...
yoooooo..
YOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
So fucking good. If there's a season 2, its going to be fantastic.

S2 better happen after they end S1 right as a arc was starting. Plus, poor Huk must get a chance to look like a man in her eyes instead of a childhood friend at some point, the "king" is smart, but a wuss bag girly-man.

Kurokan Episode 12

No matter what Hiraizumi tries to do she cant persuade these boys from not playing. I love how dedicated they are becoming for baseball. The only way to go from some back country no name school to big name is to practice practice practice.

Zeno appearance in last episode. Fucking cruel.

S2 better happen after they end S1 right as a arc was starting. Plus, poor Huk must get a chance to look like a man in her eyes instead of a childhood friend at some point, the "king" is smart, but a wuss bag girly-man.

I really hope there will be a S2. Now that the dragons are assembled and all that ramping up is over, the series gets really fun and exciting. Lots of awesome scenes I really want to see animated.

Both Soo Won and Hak fans will be very happy :)

fertygo

For an supposed Harem show, SNAFU actually does quite opposite of that actually, sure Hachiman interact with girl here and there, but 95% you can see it as schoolmate interaction, and romance interest is kept between main triangle and even that not in main focus.

ibyea

Banned
Yona of the Dawn 14
And so ends the search for the Blue Dragon. After the okay past few episodes, the show came with a really strong story for the three episodes mini arc.

Man, that speech at the end hits so hard. You could tell how resigned Yukino has become over the whole situation with the club and Hachiman was visibly shaken by her words. This whole mini arc begs the question of whether there is a real tie between the club anymore or if Hachiman has simply been the sole problem solver. The Christmas event is definitely heading towards disaster and it feels as if there is no way for Iroha to take control over the student council anymore. I'm guessing next episode is gonna be a true breaking point in the series, possibly wish Hachiman having some sort of revelation.

Tuck

FLCL (Fooly Cooly) - 1
Thats was... er.... something. Kind of hard to follow. Pretty crazy. Decently funny, and with interesting animation.

Only 6 episodes total, and I've heard good things so I'll keep going.

EDIT: Episode 2 - so much budget, that ending sequence was awesome.

Syrinx

Cross Ange 4

You people lied to me. You said it was entertainingly stupid. This is not. It's just really, really, really fucking stupid. Irritatingly so.

Nothing interesting is happening. Nothing at all. We've had Ange go from princess to subhuman soldier, rape, her continuously being in denial about being a Norma, rape, becoming super-badass soldier suddenly, and then horrible petty people being horrible and petty to each other. And apparently her kingdom fell. Someone said so. Also rape.

I can't really put into words what made Code Geass the experience that it was. But if I had to try, it was that, in one way or another, you were getting your money's worth with each episode. Here, I ain't getting shit. Just horrible, stupid, petty people being horrible, stupid, petty people (and not even being entertaining, just irritating) in an isolated Norma facility fighting some enemy that they haven't even tried to flesh out or even explain. And rape.

Yu-Gi-Oh! 5D's Episode 23

Wow no one told me
Stardust Dragon
would be in this duel. Best duel since since the Jack and Yusei partial duel. I always loved the deck built around that card and I still use one in 2015. It is just too incredible.

Epic combo.

Clov

Adding a bit to this, the international rights holder for Summer Wars, Wolf Children, and Boy and the Beast (pointless note: also the holder for the new Eva movies (though not the old)) is NTV. NTV and Funimation have a good working relationship.

The Girl Who Leapt Through Time had and still likely has rights held by Kadokawa Pictures/Shoten/whatever the fuck Kadokawa grouped that into now since they picked up the film for broader distribution/home video. It's quite probable Funi will get it, but they don't have the best relationship together (Funi tried to sabotage the domestic Kadokawa releases in February/March 2012 which has instituted a BD-holdback for all Kadokawa titles from Funi).

The new Hosada movie BD-Box is being sold by NTV/Studio Chizu with support from VAP, but being distributed by Kadokawa, so there may be some transfer for TGWLTT, but that's speculation at this point.

I had forgotten that TGWLTT was a Kadokawa title. Should have checked my old Bandai DVD of it! Despite Funimation and Kadokawa's rocky relationship, it does seem pretty likely that they'll pick it up at some point as you say. They'll probably have an easier time if they are able to get it from the committee releasing the BD-box, but who knows if that's even possible. Either way, I'm pretty confident that we'll see the BD back in North America at some point.

Neon Genesis Evangelion - 5

Boy, Gendo sure seemed to show more fear for Rei than he did for Shinji when his mecha was going out of control. What a father.

So of course Rei slaps Shinji when he says he doesn't have faith in his father because she most likely thinks he's a man she can trust after he saved her.

And low and behold, it seems the angels are getting smarter and know exactly where Unit 01 is going to pop up. Interesting development. For other mecha shows I've seen, it usually takes 20 or so episodes for the enemy to start doing something like that.

Well, looks like Rei's gonna have to take this one down.

ibyea

Banned
Neon Genesis Evangelion - 5

Boy, Gendo sure seemed to show more fear for Rei than he did for Shinji when his mecha was going out of control. What a father.

So of course Rei slaps Shinji when he says he doesn't have faith in his father because she most likely thinks he's a man she can trust after he saved her.

And low and behold, it seems the Angels are getting smarter and know exactly where Unit 01 is going to pop up. Interesting development. For other mecha shows I've seen, it usually takes 20 or so episodes for the enemy to start doing something like that.

Well, looks like Rei's gonna have to take this one down.

Oh man, that one is like my favorite Angel. It looks cool and it's extremely dangerous.

Totakeke

Hibike Euphonium 01-06

This is really good and charming. Having only watched Hyouka for the first time about two months ago, this definitely feels very much similar in how the interactions between the two main characters pulls you into the show.

Cornbread78

Cross Ange 4

You people lied to me. You said it was entertainingly stupid. This is not. It's just really, really, really fucking stupid. Irritatingly so.

Nothing interesting is happening. Nothing at all. We've had Ange go from princess to subhuman soldier, rape, her continuously being in denial about being a Norma, rape, becoming super-badass soldier suddenly, and then horrible petty people being horrible and petty to each other. And apparently her kingdom fell. Someone said so. Also rape.

I can't really put into words what made Code Geass the experience that it was. But if I had to try, it was that, in one way or another, you were getting your money's worth with each episode. Here, I ain't getting shit. Just horrible, stupid, petty people being horrible, stupid, petty people (and not even being entertaining, just irritating) in an isolated Norma facility fighting some enemy that they haven't even tried to flesh out or even explain. And rape.

There is a turn for the better soon enough, you haven't even seen all the cast members yet, this is a late bloomer of entertainment.

I really hope there will be a S2. Now that the dragons are assembled and all that ramping up is over, the series gets really fun and exciting. Lots of awesome scenes I really want to see animated.

Both Soo Won and Hak fans will be very happy :)

Is there such a thing as a Soo Weenie fan, lol?
I really enjoyed S1 and have no idea how th e manga went, but the prospect of a good S2 closing out some of the storylines sounds awesome to me.

Shergal

FLCL (Fooly Cooly) - 1
Thats was... er.... something. Kind of hard to follow. Pretty crazy. Decently funny, and with interesting animation.

Only 6 episodes total, and I've heard good things so I'll keep going.

If you are confused after finishing it, watch the DVD director's commentary.

But mostly, don't get too caught up in plot. Show's about the characters.

Cornbread78

Honey and Clover ep.2-5
While this is still very early and building plotlines at the moment, I can appreciate the college setting this one uses rather than your typical HS show. We are finally getting some back story mixed in for Yuuta, but everything else is still incoherent, lol. Also, Ayumi needs to move on already, but then again, it wouldn't be a slice of life show without some early mild drama. This one is a slow burner, isn't it?

Cross Ange 4

Give it 2 more eps and then the introduction of each character will be done... and then .the sstupidity will start ( you thought that as stupid ? lol )

Honey and Clover ep.2-5
While this is still very early and building plotlines at the moment, I can appreciate the college setting this one uses rather than your typical HS show. We are finally getting some back story mixed in for Yuuta, but everything else is still incoherent, lol. Also, Ayumi needs to move on already, but then again, it wouldn't be a slice of life show without some early mild drama. This one is a slow burner, isn't it?

It does have a fairly slow start, to get used to the characters and the like, but the drama hits pretty hard later on.

Cornbread78

And of course I had to beg and plead for a code on Twitter earlier today, lol. Damn Lurker's are gonna gobble those up, lol. Hopefully, one is still there Sun night

Hibike Euphonium 01-06

This is really good and charming. Having only watched Hyouka for the first time about two months ago, this definitely feels very much similar in how the interactions between the two main characters pulls you into the show.

I want to emphasize how well Ayano Takeda (the author of the novels) has crafted the tale. Usually novels will have about a half dozen characters who get a lot of focus, but Takeda has managed to introduces so many characters (pretty much everyone gets a good amount of screentime and depth) while constructing an over-arcing period that is flushed out and naturally placed. Beginners are beginners. Experienced players are better than beginners and sound like that. It's a very well crafted story that engages the reader/viewer and feels natural to that environment. Not having read Hyouka, I definitely see similarities with the depth of a good novel compared to the light novels usually adapted.

Having translated Chuunibyou's first two novels, the writing style, content, and general text is significantly better in Euphonium than them. People mocked KyoAni for not giving out a grand prize before last year, but if they were like Chuunibyou or worse, there's just cause for that.

Jarmel

Banned
JoJo-43

I'm really not happy with how this is playing out. Mainly in how it seems everybody other than Jotaro is just straight jobbing.

I think of the 3 Parts shown so far, Part 3 is becoming my least favorite.

PK Gaming

JoJo-43

I'm really not happy with how this is playing out. Mainly in how it seems everybody other than Jotaro is just straight jobbing.

I think of the 3 Parts shown so far, Part 3 is becoming my least favorite.

It's pretty much the Jotaro Kujo show

JoJo Part 3: Featuring that awesome protagonist from part 2 and Polnareff

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom