• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2015 |OT| The Disappearance of YEAARRT!

Status
Not open for further replies.
BBB has become so terribly meh and I'm waiting/hoping ore monogatari reaches shit manga isn't up to. So right now my fucking aots is a god damn dungeon harem until I watch gintama.

What happened anime? What happened?

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
They need to give us a Yui story arc at some point. It's been all Hiki and Yuki for awhile now In terms of depth. We know she likes Hiki but can't come clean about her feelings. I think Hiki knows it too...

She's just in denial for anime reasons.

Vito

Banned
tumblr_noi256ejqT1sqqtwzo1_1280.jpg

Yūhei Murota, Love Live!’s character designer drew today’s Yamada-kun and the 7 Witches endcard.

By Miki Yoshikawa, Yamada-kun manga's author.

People are really forgetting that Iroha really likes Hayama not 8man. I'm sorry but Iroha is the type who loves using something for her own selfish needs to just only leave it at the end. The truth is she's the less genuine female of the 3 and the less trustworthy, which is why I really don't like her that much.

Yui is the most genuine person of the 3 and the female character I like the most. The saddest part is that the most genuine person is gonna end up getting crushed by a oblivious 8man at the end of the series because of his internal issues. I really hope the best for her.

Droplet

Having finished the second Euphonium novel, I've become annoyed at the producers and publicity staff emphasizing the four girls for merchandising/sales reasons over the other aspects of the concert band. Euphonium's charm is its ability to weave tales from many members together into one narrative, but thus far Oohashi, Nakamura, and Saito have been content to only push Kumiko, Hazuki, Sapphire, and Reina (with the KyoAni Shop adding Asuka, Haruka, and Kaori). It really reeks of trying to sell this show to otaku and ignoring your other possible revenue streams (literally no Taki/Shuichi merchandise?!). I wouldn't be surprised if those three (and probably Hideaki Hatta) pushed for the additional content needed to space the first novel into a cour to focus on those four for the merchandising reasons alone.

This isn't a complaint about the work itself; I'm still immensely enjoying the show. I personally feel the other aspects surrounding it don't really depict the Euphonium novel as well as it could/should be. (And watching the first PV after reading the novel emphasized that back in March for me)

Despite the op/ed and anime marketing push for the girls to take the spotlight, I'm glad the show itself doesn't seem to be hugely affected by its target audience. I guess I wouldn't really know how big the changes have been, but it definitely isn't pandering (cross fingers). It would be pretty sad if the series was someone how edited to fit the idea that these 4 are at the center if they really aren't, yet I do think that given the series seeming focus on them it would be upsetting if they weren't all important in some way.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
People are really forgetting that Iroha really likes Hayama not 8man. I'm sorry but Iroha is the type who loves using something for her own selfish needs to just only leave it at the end. The truth is she's the less genuine female of the 3 and the less trustworthy, which is why I really don't like her that much.

Yui is the most genuine person of the 3 and the female character I like the most. The saddest part is that the most genuine person is gonna end up getting crushed by a oblivious 8man at the end of the series because of his internal issues. I really hope the best for her.

She likes Hayama because he's physically attractive. That's pretty much it, and the point of the show is that superficial relationships are fleeting.

My assumption is that Hachiman avoids Yui's attempts to go out with him because he still assumes she likes him out of guilt due to the dog thing (which probably isn't even wrong; she was clearly into him roughly the same amount when she joined the club to begin with).

Jex

Having finished the second Euphonium novel, I've become annoyed at the producers and publicity staff emphasizing the four girls for merchandising/sales reasons over the other aspects of the concert band. Euphonium's charm is its ability to weave tales from many members together into one narrative, but thus far Oohashi, Nakamura, and Saito have been content to only push Kumiko, Hazuki, Sapphire, and Reina (with the KyoAni Shop adding Asuka, Haruka, and Kaori). It really reeks of trying to sell this show to otaku and ignoring your other possible revenue streams (literally no Taki/Shuichi merchandise?!). I wouldn't be surprised if those three (and probably Hideaki Hatta) pushed for the additional content needed to space the first novel into a cour to focus on those four for the merchandising reasons alone.

This isn't a complaint about the work itself; I'm still immensely enjoying the show. I personally feel the other aspects surrounding it don't really depict the Euphonium novel as well as it could/should be. (And watching the first PV after reading the novel emphasized that back in March for me)

Well, that sounds like a pretty cynical and conservative move, but I suppose I can understand where they're coming from. By building off the appeal of their earlier works they aim to pull in a certain level of audience as a 'safe bet'.

It does lead to their works appearing 'samey' to a casual observer.

BBB has become so terribly meh and I'm waiting/hoping ore monogatari reaches shit manga isn't up to. So right now my fucking aots is a god damn dungeon harem until I watch gintama.

Honestly I don't know how Dungeon harem can be better than BBB even if it's a opinion. I mean I don't hate the former but it's filled with lots of harem antics we've seen every season and the fact that Hestia is painfully annoying doesn't help. Hestia is so clingy that it makes things a bit terrible to watch. And the fact that every chick wants the MC so bad doesn't help the shows case.

I have lost faith in humanity.😌

Angry Grimace

I don't know anything about Euphonium other than I avoided it because the advertising copy makes it look look like the kind of pandering moe-moe yuri bait I avoid like the plague.

Honestly I don't know how Dungeon harem can be better than BBB even if it's a opinion. I mean I don't hate the former but it's filled with lots of harem antics we've seen every season and the fact that Hestia is painfully annoying doesn't help. Hestia is so clingy that it makes things a bit terrible to watch. And the fact that every chick wants the MC so bad doesn't help the shows case.

I have lost faith in humanity.��

Dungeon Girls is fun because it does the Sword Art Online thing (down to the MC just being Kirito, voice and all) except not being dumb and taking itself deadly seriously.

Cornbread78

Very true about Iroha. I don't believe she has any romantic interests in Hiki since the Hayman is beau, but a friendship could develop since Hiki does know Haya. I'm really torn about Yui though, she is great for Hiki in that she could fill s lot of his needs and she is a really genuine character. She even gets frustrated that Hiki waits in the hallway for her instead of the classroom, so he "doesn't destroy her image" She needs to come clean with her feelings soon though. I still believe Hiki already knows her feelings though. Here is where I get crazy; Yui would be my favorite match up, but wouldn't Yuki make the most sense? They are one in the same. There is a reason they were paired up in the room together and really, they are the only two that can truly help each other to grow out of their shells. This is also why they but heads so often as there's no doubt that they actually care about one another.

phaze

Ehh even with the weak last episode its still the best show of the season for me. Though Jojo might surpass should it manage to keep the level of last episode till the end.

Alright: BBB

Okay: Jojo: SC

Shut up and start fighting: FSN:UBW

Anime was a mistake: Soma

Trigger was a mistake: Ninja Slayer

Very true about Iroha. I don't believe she has any romantic interests in Hiki since the Hayman is beau, but a friendship could develop since Hiki does know Haya. I'm really torn about Yui though, she is great for Hiki in that she could fill s lot of his needs and she is a really genuine character. She even gets frustrated that Hiki waits in the hallway for her instead of the classroom, so he "doesn't destroy her image" She needs to come clean with her feelings soon though. Here is where I get crazy; Yui would be my favorite match up, but wouldn't Yuki make the most sense? They are one in the same. There is a reason they were paired up in the room together and really, they are the only two that can truly help each other to grow out of their shells. This is also why they but heads so often as there's no doubt that they actually care about one another.

Honestly if 8man and Yukino end up together I wouldn't be mad, maybe a bit disappointed. I mean I would be really happy if 8man ends up with Yui because she's the most genuine, but what I really want is for to be truly happy and not suffer.

Despite the op/ed and anime marketing push for the girls to take the spotlight, I'm glad the show itself doesn't seem to be hugely affected by its target audience. I guess I wouldn't really know how big the changes have been, but it definitely isn't pandering (cross fingers). It would be pretty sad if the series was someone how edited to fit the idea that these 4 are at the center if they really aren't, yet I do think that given the series seeming focus on them it would be upsetting if they weren't all important in some way.
I wouldn't say it's so much pandering as is making the focus easier to sell via merchandise and marketing. The first novel really focuses on Kumiko and Reina's relationship combined with the process of the concert (via auditions and practicing, and I am so glad I can finally put some concrete sentences to explain my POV on it). By enlarging the cast which the director/composer puts focus on, you increase your chances of getting a fan to buy merchandise of that character. Thus we get scenes of the three walking home/sitting together and Hazuki got an episode of practicing/focus, all of which were not in the novel. I'm not going to say that Hazuki/Sapphire aren't involved in the novel, but they have reduced screentime compared to Reina/Asuka on the level of Natsuki/Takuya/Riko. For the story being told, these scenes work well and people are enjoying them. This makes it a good adaptation (especially since they are focusing on two characters that would usually get focus in other tales), but it's not exactly faithful. (I've gotten too many questions from people automatically assuming an unfaithful adaptation is bad and this is a prime example of why that's not always the case.)

Well, that sounds like a pretty cynical and conservative move, but I suppose I can understand where they're coming from. By building off the appeal of their earlier works they aim to pull in a certain level of audience as a 'safe bet'.

It does lead to their works appearing 'samey' to a casual observer.
From my POV, I never understood the "samey" argument until your post. It's definitely a conservative move, especially with how well the novel weaves the plots together w/o focusing on so many characters. The marketing was definitely trying to imitate K-On!, but the material itself wasn't K-On! at all and so that really irked me when I tried to correct that misconception. I completely understand that it's a business move, and one based in pretty solid logic for that market and the situation the producers are in. There's just a big part of me that somewhat regrets that my experience with the novel can't be replicated for others since most anime fans don't read and the novel isn't even translated.

I don't know anything about Euphonium other than I avoided it because the advertising copy makes it look look like the kind of pandering moe-moe yuri bait I avoid like the plague.

As I mentioned above, while the marketing makes it look like K-On!, the material itself is much more solid and focused on the drama of playing instruments in a band more than slice-of-life comedy. There's another plot revolving around the relationship of two of the female leads, but IMO the fandom has kinda taken the shipping thing too far for what's been shown.

Jarmel

Banned
Dungeon Girls is fun because it does the Sword Art Online thing (down to the MC just being Kirito, voice and all) except not being dumb and taking itself deadly seriously.

You have to be joking. Lili's absolutely idiotic background was dead serious.

Danmachi isn't any better than SAO.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
I don't know anything about Euphonium other than I avoided it because the advertising copy makes it look look like the kind of pandering moe-moe bait I avoid like the plague.

:^)

Gonna give Euphonium a try again today, even though I'm not that much into this kind of music. All this talk about the show really makes me want to give it a chance.

Cornbread78

Pff, you and your females. Hachiman wants the Totsuka.

Well, he does make him blush constantly, lol.

Honestly if 8man and Yukino end up together I wouldn't be mad, maybe a bit disappointed. I mean I would be really happy if 8man ends up with Yui because she's the most genuine, but what I really want is for to be truly happy and not suffer.

Yuki and Hiki would probably work out best based on history and their personal needs.

The Student Council elections
would have been the perfect time for Yui to develop more but Hachiman took that away too. Damn you 8man!

Jarmel

Banned
I didn't say it was a gag series dude.

The show takes itself seriously, I mean the main character's background to becoming an adventurer was his grandfather being axed off.

It's more comedic than SAO and there hasn't been anything as bad as "Asada-san Asada-san Asada-san" but stuff like that Minotaur chasing them and the upcoming monster are played straight.

I haven't even gotten into how pandering and self-insert the leads is in that the girls are slicking themselves to Bell without any real build-up.

Angry Grimace

The show takes itself seriously, I mean the main character's background to becoming an adventurer was his grandfather being axed off.

It's more comedic than SAO and there hasn't been anything as bad as "Asada-san Asada-san Asada-san" but stuff like that Minotaur chasing them and the upcoming monster are played straight.

I haven't even gotten into how pandering and self-insert the leads is in that the girls are slicking themselves to Bell without any real build-up.

It's clearly a lot more of a comedy than SAO is. I'm not really sure I understand your point.

Etotama 4

I just want a compilation of the fights. The first half of the episodes are hit or miss (usually miss) but the fights themselves are fun to watch. Cow's english is so funny though. OH MY GOT. I burst out laughing.

So much for the twist at the end of episode 3 too hah.

Rabbit > Sheep > Dragon > Tiger > Horse > Everyone else

Angry Grimace

Very suspicious indeed. He only blushes with him, even though he's surrounded by beautiful girls. Yui is practically throwing herself on to him too, and he doesn't even react lol.
I'm a little surprised how long they're really run with the Totsuka blush gags.

As for Yui, I think the legitimate answer is that he assumes Yui is just being nice because she's nice to everyone - the Orimoto thing is probably instructive. She was nice to everyone so he assumed she liked him and he asked out and got humiliated.

Tuck

Arslan Senki - 7
Great episode. Lots of things happened, and there were two awesome fights. Nice to see the return of that blond slave from the first episode, I was hoping he'd show up sooner than later. My only issue is that Arslan's strategist guy instantly knew exactly what Karlhan was going to do. Sort of felt... cheap? Same thing happened with the slaves. I guess he is supposed to be a master strategist.

Zephyx

I like Iroha as a character a lot better than either Yui or Yukino actually. Yukino seems to get pissed off over basically anything and refuses to admit Hachiman is her friend for some insane person reason (even though she is completely aware of how he is) and Yui doesn't really have any hidden depths.

I think we still haven't fully explored Yui's depth. I do agree with most comments around here that she is the most genuine among all the characters (aside Totsuka maybe) but I feel she is still withholding her feelings given she still haven't told Hachiman what she really wants. I'm guessing Yui will try to betray Yukino at some point (as Haruno hinted before) due to her feelings for Hachiman or some other thing. Maybe at that point is where her character will be fully explored.

I'm a little surprised how long they're really run with the Totsuka blush gags.

As for Yui, I think the legitimate answer is that he assumes Yui is just being nice because she's nice to everyone - the Orimoto thing is probably instructive. She was nice to everyone so he assumed she liked him and he asked out and got humiliated.
I kind of agree on the first point.

As for your second point, yes I think it has to do with his trauma a lot

Angry Grimace

I think we still haven't fully explored Yui's depth. I do agree with most comments around here that she is the most genuine among all the characters (aside Totsuka maybe) but I feel she is still withholding her feelings given she still haven't told Hachiman what she really wants. I'm guessing Yui will try to betray Yukino at some point (as Haruno hinted before) due to her feelings for Hachiman or some other thing. Maybe at that point is where her character will be fully explored.

I suppose I just don't see it that way since Hachiman and Yukino are explicitly genuine to the point that the plot revolves around it. The reason Yukino is mad at Hachiman is partially because he tried to keep Hayato's group together by deception and she's super upset about any kind of deception.

Angry Grimace

Yeah I like her character but no matter what we all know who will win In the end if a girl does win...

I just get the impression that Yukino and Hachiman would get romantically involved. I think they're more like "my first real friend."

Midonin

Hello!! Kin-iro Mosaic 07

For fans of English, at least half of the episode was in English, since it involved Karen and her family in one sketch and Karen and Alice's past in another. While my mind can "hear" the Japanese VAs tones in English thanks to years of watching, actually hearing them speaking somewhat broken English is still a bit of a surreal experience. Very heartwarming episode all around. Karen and Alice both are prone to flights of fancy, but friendship rules all!

Blood Blockade Battlefront 7

You seem to like BBB quite a bit and it's got me wondering if you've watched any of Rie Matsumoto's other works as I think you'd like Kyousougiga quite a bit.

If you feel like digging a little deeper she worked also directed Marie and Gali Episode 0 and the Heartcatch Precure Movie to name a few.

I just get the impression that Yukino and Hachiman would get romantically involved. I think they're more like "my first real friend."
Yeah that's my impression as well if there is a winner.
I too like her a lot. But I bet there will be no winner at all.
Also agreed as well. Personally I rather see a winner, doesnt matter who, than none. Something that alway irritates me about these types of animes..meh just my pet peeve.

Cornbread78

I too like her a lot. But I bet there will be no winner at all.

Both are correct, lol. Yuki and Hiki need each other the most and would make sense for them to hook up, but are both of then too stubborn as they ar self absorbed with their own personal issues? Friends make the best lovers they say.. Yui is great, but. I think the alternate (no pun intended) ending may be the safest for the support group, lol.

Yeah that's my impression as well if there is a winner.

Also agreed as well. Personally I rather see a winner, doesnt matter who, than none. Something that alway irritates me about these types of animes..meh just my pet peeve.

Exactly, we all know the safe winner, but we all know how it will go in the end... His sister will win!

You seem to like BBB quite a bit and it's got me wondering if you've watched any of Rie Matsumoto's other works as I think you'd like Kyousougiga quite a bit.

If you feel like digging a little deeper she worked also directed Marie and Gali Episode 0 and the Heartcatch Precure Movie to name a few.

I was planning on watching Kyousougiga because visually it looks creative, so yeah.

Also can you watch the Heartcatch Precure Movie as a standalone?

Angry Grimace

Both are correct, lol. Yuki and Hiki need each other the most and would make sense for them to hook up, but are both of then too stubborn as they ar self absorbed with their own personal issues? Friends make the best lovers they say.. Yui is great, but. I think the alternate (no pun intended) ending may be the safest for the support group, lol.

Exactly, we all know the safe winner, but we all know how it will go in the end... His sister will win!

The reason Iroha and Hachiman get along so well is because he treats her the way he treats his sister.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan

Yeah, i too think that is what going to happen.

SNAFU TOO 7

Based on the way thing goes, i wouldn't be surprised if Hachiman deliver his usual "dude, you fucking suck" speech in the next episode, because that other student council spend way too much time doing brainstorming and no action. He probably going to deliver it to Iroha as well. There also a chance he going to involve Yukinoshita to be involved with the whole student council. Can't wait for the next episode.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom