• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2015 |OT| The Disappearance of YEAARRT!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gunslinger Stratos - 07

It was ...." ABOUT TIME"

Gunslinger%20Stratos%20-%2007.jpg

I kinda expected as much as all my worries were proven true on who the mastermind trully was.

I still think that the professor is an idiot and will mess things up big time, but right now , i kinda want this stupid feud to stop so they can focus on something simple..please work together !

I was planning on watching Kyousougiga because visually it looks creative, so yeah.

Also can you watch the Heartcatch Precure Movie as a standalone?

I wouldn't recommend seeing the Heartcatch Movie on its own really. I think it really works best after you've seen the series which is worth the watch if you're looking for something a little light-hearted and with plenty of action.

The reason Iroha and Hachiman get along so well is because he treats her the way he treats his sister.
I kinda feel like she is going to tell him that she actually likes him, and he's gonna be the one turning her down.

Yeah, i too think that is what going to happen.

SNAFU TOO 7

Based on the way thing goes, i wouldn't be surprised if Hachiman deliver his usual "dude, you fucking suck" speech in the next episode, because that other student council spend way too much time doing brainstorming and no action. He probably going to deliver it to Iroha as well. There also a chance he going to involve Yukinoshita to be involved with the whole student council. Can't wait for the next episode.
This would be excellent actually, but I don't think Hachiman would be able to do it. He's a good guy and likes to help, but I don't think he's realized that Yukino was actually interested in being involved in the student council. He has his suspicions, but Hachiman is the kind of guy that doesn't take any hints as an answer to a question in his mind. He's the kind of guy that needs to be told everything up front since he doubts everything and everyone, always over analyzing what people say and do. Since she hasn't said anything herself, he won't do it.

Midonin

Eden of Grisaia 05

Glad to have the girls back in play in the main story again. All the routes happened, it seems, and now it's their turn to shine. To rescue him. Not sure what was up with
Holo-Kazuki
at the end, but I stand by what I said - Grisaia is proof that VN-based anime still stand a chance. Love the fully completed opening, too. The way the images transition into each other is really nicely pulled off.

Cornbread78

Yeah, i too think that is what going to happen.

SNAFU TOO 7

Based on the way thing goes, i wouldn't be surprised if Hachiman deliver his usual "dude, you fucking suck" speech in the next episode, because that other student council spend way too much time doing brainstorming and no action. He probably going to deliver it to Iroha as well. There also a chance he going to involve Yukinoshita to be involved with the whole student council. Can't wait for the next episode.

Yeah, appears likely that he's about to go off because nobody on his student council is happy and the other council is complacent. Something has to change and he knows it.. Many be he'll get the little girl from the camp to step up and save the day and be the hero..

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I kinda feel like she is going to tell him that she actually likes him, and he's gonna be the one turning her down.

This would be excellent actually, but I don't think Hachiman would be able to do it. He's a good guy and likes to help, but I don't think he's realized that Yukino was actually interested in being involved in the student council. He has his suspicions, but Hachiman is the kind of guy that doesn't take any hints as an answer to a question in his mind. He's the kind of guy that needs to be told everything up front since he doubts everything and everyone, always over analyzing what people say and do. Since she hasn't said anything herself, he won't do it.

I don't know why he would. He is attracted to all three of them (at least physically, I have no clue what he internally thinks).

Stop, shinkawa was just misunderstood and misled by her confusing intentions. Currently shinkawa is second best SAO male animated.

The second time in the last 24 hours DTL has defended a character actively attempting to rape a female lead.

Yeah, appears likely that he's about to go off because nobody on his student council is happy and the other council is complacent. Something has to change and he knows it.. Many be he'll get the little girl from the camp to step up and save the day and be the hero..
Hmm, I wonder what he's going to do... I mean we are talking about the guy that needed his sister to request him to save the club in order for him to do it. I feel like he's gonna stop going /:

I don't know why he would. He is attracted to all three of them (at least physically, I have no clue what he internally thinks).
Hmm idk about that. We have never heard him say anything other than with the guy that looks like a girl lol. When Iroha appeared he seemed more annoyed than attracted to her also.

Whatever solution Hachiman comes up with this time, it has to be different from his old ways. We spent the last few episodes watching him understand the consequences of his methods and how much they suck. Ideally he doesn't save the day and Iroha is the one that steps up instead.

TheRancor

Mad Max: Fury Road

So while the movie was pretty awesome, I'd like to bring attention about the planned Mad Max anime that never happened. That's right, an "anime".

http://blogs.indiewire.com/theplaylist/george-miller-says-mad-max-furiosa-was-initially-planned-as-an-anime-companion-film-to-mad-max-fury-road-20150507

As we’d gleaned before, Miller was eyeing a separate project that would have focused on the character of Furiosa, brought to life by Theron in Fury Road. But, instead of a sequel, it sounds like Miller had originally wanted to do the Mad Max: Furiosa project in conjunction with Fury Road. But not as a live-action movie -- it was apparently going to be an anime:

“[The dream] wasn't a conflation of two stories,” Miller said in an interview with L.A. Playlister Charlie Schmidlin. “We were going to do [‘Furiosa’ as] an anime before it was delayed a second time when we were rained out of Australia. But because we were delayed that didn't happen, and so we've got that script, and we've got another one.” 

Indeed, this isn't the first time Miller has revealed he has much more ready to go in the 'Mad Max' world. “In order to tell this story, we came up with two others. We’ve written the screenplay of one and the novelization of another, but it’s a very rough novel,” he said at Comic-Con last year. “We kept working on them while we were working on other things.”

Here's an older interview from 2009 when it was still a thing and Miller with seemingly strange views in his reasoning for calling it anime http://moviesblog.mtv.com/2009/03/05/exclusive-fourth-mad-max-in-developmentas-3-d-anime-feature/

Now Miller is resurrecting the idea as an R-rated, stereoscopic anime flick for theatrical release. It’s a curious undertaking, to be sure, but one made all the more certain to happen after the runaway success in 2006 of his computer-animated “Happy Feet”—not that the newest, ever-violent “Max” film will have much in common with that kid-friendly penguin party.

“I see myself as someone who is very curious about storytelling and all its various media," Miller said. “I’ve always loved anime, in particular the Japanese sensibility. It’s something I’ve always wanted to do

For the anime release, Miller isn’t looking simply to mimic Japanese-style animation but rather to adapt it for Western audiences. “The anime is an opportunity for me to shift a little bit about what anime is doing because anime is ripe for an adjustment or sea change,” he explained. “It’s coming in games and I believe it’s the same in anime. There’s going to be a hybrid anime where it shifts more towards Western sensibilities. [Japanese filmmaker Akira] Kurosawa was able to bridge that gap between the Japanese sensibilities and the West and make those definitive films.”

So yeah. Lol.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Hmm idk about that. We have never heard him say anything other than with the guy that looks like a girl lol. When Iroha appeared he seemed more annoyed than attracted to her also.

He makes it pretty clear that he's physically attracted to all three of them, the anime adaptation doesn't make it as obvious since you don't get his narration. (that isn't a spoiler of anything, he says that as each character is introduced)

The fact that so many people see an incest angle is funny to me though. I feel like they made it pretty clear in the very first episode that he loves his sister in a completely normal, non-romantic way.

Zephyx

I suppose I just don't see it that way since Hachiman and Yukino are explicitly genuine to the point that the plot revolves around it. The reason Yukino is mad at Hachiman is partially because he tried to keep Hayato's group together by deception and she's super upset about any kind of deception.

I think all of them are far from genuine at this point with Yui being the closest. Hachiman's too far detached with his feelings to admit that he cares for someone, Yui is just trying to maintain the relationship instead of advancing it while Yukino is still closed and reserved as ever. There might be small improvements here and there but I think there's a lot more to flesh out in terms of character development.

I too like her a lot. But I bet there will be no winner at all.

I just get the impression that Yukino and Hachiman would get romantically involved. I think they're more like "my first real friend."

That's the way I see the ending too. I want somebody to "win" of course and I admit that I'll be disappointed if we go the non-romantic route. Personally, it should be either Iroha or Yui.

Re-kan - 07
And here continues the harmless comedy.
There is nothing more that needs to be said at this point re-kan won't evolve as this is the best they can do..the characters aren't bad, but they aren't great either ... at least the plot of each episode is servicable

He makes it pretty clear that he's physically attracted to all three of them, the anime adaptation doesn't make it as obvious since you don't get his narration. (that isn't a spoiler of anything, he says that as each character is introduced)

The fact that so many people see an incest angle is funny to me though. I feel like they made it pretty clear in the very first episode that he loves his sister in a completely normal, non-romantic way.
I haven't read the LNs so this is great insight. I want to read them but I'm afraid of spoilers, or not being able to stop myself and read ahead. As for the second point I don't see it either it just seems like they both have a great genuine brother-sister relationship.
That's the way I see the ending too. I want somebody to "win" of course and I admit that I'll be disappointed if we go the non-romantic route. Personally, it should be either Iroha or Yui.
I'm not a big fan of Yukino so I am with you on that.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan

True. Maybe Yui will be the one who will inform 8man? Now that i think about it, sensei (forgot her name) doen't have much screen time, maybe she'll be the one who tell him.

Could be. Considering she's little girl, she won't get any repercussion for being blunt. Only question is if 8man willing to do it.

Narag

So while the movie was pretty awesome, I'd like to bring attention about the planned Mad Max anime that never happened. That's right, an "anime".

http://blogs.indiewire.com/theplaylist/george-miller-says-mad-max-furiosa-was-initially-planned-as-an-anime-companion-film-to-mad-max-fury-road-20150507

Here's an older interview from 2009 when it was still a thing and Miller with seemingly strange views in his reasoning for calling it anime http://moviesblog.mtv.com/2009/03/05/exclusive-fourth-mad-max-in-developmentas-3-d-anime-feature/

So yeah. Lol.

Fund it if t they can dig up people that can animate 2d cars.

I just really like how Hachiman and Komachi's relationship isn't some creepy incest or ONNIII CHAAANNN fest. Hachiman definitely dotes on his sister but its handled a lot better than many other sibling relationships in anime.

Angry Grimace

I haven't read the LNs so this is great insight. I want to read them but I'm afraid of spoilers, or not being able to stop myself and read ahead. As for the second point I don't see it either it just seems like they both have a great genuine brother-sister relationship.

I'm not a big fan of Yukino so I am with you on that.

The LN only has 10 volumes and this arc in the anime is middle of the 9th so they will probably get to the end of all the published material this season. The series is supposed to end in a couple of volumes after that, actually.

If they were to make a sequel to something with a conclusive ending, Rebellion is the way to do it. I'm glad it was made. For a "milking" it's actually super good, at least.

So every sequel to something with a conclusive ending should be one big "screw you" to anyone who liked the way the original ended? Sure. Okay.

Let's have a G Gundam sequel where
Allenby goes all yandere and kills Domon and Rain.
Because screw the
Love Love Tenkyoken right?

If they ended it the way Urobuchi originally intended, it would have been the ending everyone had foreseen. Everyone would cry for Homura for a week and we would have forgotten about the series after that. It would have been an unremarkable ending to a remarkable series. This ending opens doors to a new conflict. BRING ON SAYAKA (& Kyouko)!!

A new conflict that was just thrown out there with no resolution planned out.

Also, what was unremarkable about the way the original series ended?
Madoka saves all the magical girls from despair, sacrificing her own existence, Homura vows to continue fight, knowing that she'll meet Madoka again one day.

The fact that they were able to pull off an ending even remotely bitter-sweet like that when everything was so screwed up before is what I loved about the series. How is that in any way unremarkable?

I love how it ends ad its pretty much the only thing Homura could do in that situation given how she feels and what she is prone to do. Honestly dont see why people dislike it so much especially in the context of the show.

Madoka Rebellion is like a Gurren Lagann sequel where
the Spiral Nemesis actually did happen and it was intentionally caused by Viral of all people.
It makes everything that happened in the original series feel meaningless by comparison.

Isn't Rebellion another one of those fan mock-ups like Darker than Black 2, Gunslinger Girls 2 and the Usagi Drop manga? I'm pretty sure they don't exist.

I really wish it was. If Madoka was the Evangelion of magical girl anime, then Madoka Rebellion is Eureka Seven Astral Ocean.

I really , REALLY disagree with the bolded... there is like an entire discussion between homura and madoka in rebellion about those loose ends in that supposed "perfect ending.

That "perfect" ending ignore the character that did the most behind the scene work in the franchise and whose goals weren't completed. The original ending was alright , good even ...but let's not act as if everything was solved

Maybe I could see your point there. I understand that Rebellion goes into the fact that
some of the characters had regrets from the series, but I still think that the original ending is great because even despite those regrets, you could still feel like everything was going to turn out okay.

And that's another one of my huge problems with Rebellion.

In Madoka, sure everything seemed really sad, but you could feel that it was leaning towards something positive.

Rebellion is the opposite of that, where yeah, everything seems all fine and dandy, but it leans toward something negative.

I can see why some people would enjoy that, and I won't hold it against anybody who does, but for me, it all just feels unnecessary when I really felt a good sense of closure with the original ending.

Anko

A new conflict that was just thrown out there with no resolution planned out.

Also, what was unremarkable about the way the original series ended?
Madoka saves all the magical girls from despair, sacrificing her own existence, Homura vows to continue fight, knowing that she'll meet Madoka again one day.

The fact that they were able to pull off an ending even remotely bitter-sweet like that when everything was so screwed up before is what I loved about the series. How is that in any way unremarkable?
I'm not talking about the ending to the original TV series. Sorry if I wasn't clear. I was talking about their original plan to have the movie end with
Homura going off with Madoka peacefully

The LN only has 10 volumes and this arc in the anime is middle of the 9th. They will probably get to the end of all the published material this season.

The series is supposed to end in a couple of volumes after that, actually.
I pray that they make a season 3 for the anime. Kinda sucks that it's gonna be a while until we see it, if it does happen.

High school Dxd Born - 06
Highschool%20DxD%20BorN%20-%2006_01.jpg
Highschool%20DxD%20BorN%20-%2006_03.jpg

The side grin and smile is the stuff of legends
Kiryuu Aika is a human, but ( spoilers ) she is without a freaking doubt , the best human character in the dxd-verse.
This might seem like a bold declaration, especially for those who have only watched the anime , but this is a simple and pure truth.

Damn how i wish the anime will go in a 4th season so we can have her side story animated.. I felt like it would be futile to hope, but with the existence of the 3rd season , hopes is all i can have right now.

Highschool%20DxD%20BorN%20-%2006_02.jpg

I want to take her home !

^^ joke/s
But i reall y don't since her future home will be the best she' could hope to find... Rossweisse is finally there , aafter the rushed loki arc , but no matter since she is needed for the events to come. I wonder how they 'll deal with the next ordeal but hey, i remembered , that they yet again changed some things in this 3rd season..
The rook Devil contract is near , let us wait for it.

Highschool%20DxD%20BorN%20-%2006_04.jpg

Oh the irony !

Geeh i wonder what would have happenned , if things were different, i guess i can only read the books to figure it out !!

Anyway , excellent episode , just the right changes , and dxd is at his best with the unexpected. Xenovia gym attack was perfect .( i have hopes for you xenovia ) and so was the reveal of the chichiryutei !! all the pieces are falling into place for the 2 next arc ( they are really going to adapt 5 arcs in 13 eps , damn )

Angry Grimace

I pray that they make a season 3 for the anime. Kinda sucks that it's gonna be a while until we see it, if it does happen.

The first season came out in 2013 and covered everything that was out at the time. So I imagine that if this season sells well they'll just do the same thing in a couple years.

All I will say is that you guys sound like you will enjoy the rest of this arc, particularly the next episode.

Maybe I could see your point there. I understand that Rebellion goes into the fact that
some of the characters had regrets from the series, but I still think that the original ending is great because even despite those regrets, you could still feel like everything was going to turn out okay.

And that's another one of my huge problems with Rebellion.

In Madoka, sure everything seemed really sad, but you could feel that it was leaning towards something positive.

Rebellion is the opposite of that, where yeah, everything seems all fine and dandy, but it leans toward something negative.

I can see why some people would enjoy that, and I won't hold it against anybody who does, but for me, it all just feels unnecessary when I really felt a good sense of closure with the original ending.

Actually , i really don't see it like that .

Yes, after madoka TV , things were going in the right direction , but the solution to an impossible problem was just a patchwork... If you think about it 2 things happenned.
First, Magical girls don't become witches
Second , because of 1) , the kyuubei peole don't receive as much energy.

I mean yeah , one of the problem , is that collecting energy was necessary , so you can't just wish to destroy them. So madoka sacrified herself, she changed the rules.. Ok that mean no more despair for the magical girls, BUT 2 people are left in a "no win " situation. Madoka , who lost her interractions to her familly, homura who didn't manage to allow her friend and beloved to live a "normal" life with her, they were essentially separated.

So no i can't accept madoka Tv conclusion as it is.. I was very happy when they shaked all those things in rebellion.
Because in rebellion, most of this stuff is adressed.

The no-witch system of madoka is still there, madoka is back on the human plane ( for better or worse ) , homura actually controls kyuubei and co ( because the movie clearly shows that they were already trying to harness and capture the madoka as a god -entity ) and most of all , the problem of energy is still solved.

So no i just can't see it as a negative.. It's a bold move and risky ( by homura ) because
it rely on the fact that homura can control kyubei , and it put madoka at risk given that she is forced back as a human temporary
, but aside from that everyone is happy. madoka Tv ended on the biggest self sacrifice in anime i can think off and rebellion basicly said " your sacrifice was selfish , i can't accept it as it is " witch is , by all means entirely true even if you don't factor all she did , in order to save her friend.

Angry Grimace

Ninja Slayer 1

I thought drugs were super illegal in Japan

The first season came out in 2013 and covered everything that was out at the time. So I imagine that if this season sells well they'll just do the same thing in a couple years.

All I will say is that you guys sound like you will enjoy the rest of this arc, particularly the next episode.
Yeah 2-3 years probably /: Ouu what a tease!

I'm not talking about the ending to the original TV series. Sorry if I wasn't clear. I was talking about their original plan to have the movie end with
Homura going off with Madoka peacefully

Oh. Well in that case, I wouldn't really care if it was unremarkable or not, because the movie didn't even really need to exist in the first place.

Actually , i really don't see it like that .

Yes, after madoka TV , things were going in the right direction , but the solution to an impossible problem was just a patchwork... If you think about it 2 things happenned.
First, Magical girls don't become witches
Second , because of 1) , the kyuubei peole don't receive as much energy.

I mean yeah , one of the problem , is that collecting energy was necessary , so you can't just wish to destroy them. So madoka sacrified herself, she changed the rules.. Ok that mean no more despair for the magical girls, BUT 2 people are left in a "no win " situation. Madoka , who lost her interractions to her familly, homura who didn't manage to allow her friend and beloved to live a "normal" life with her, they were essentially separated.

So no i can't accept madoka Tv conclusion as it is.. I was very happy when they shaked all those things in rebellion.
Because in rebellion, most of this stuff is adressed.

The no-witch system of madoka is still there, madoka is back on the human plane ( for better or worse ) , homura actually controls kyuubei and co ( because the movie clearly shows that they were already trying to harness and capture the madoka as a god -entity ) and most of all , the problem of energy is still solved.

So no i just can't see it as a negative.. It's a bold move and risky ( by homura ) because
it rely on the fact that homura can control kyubei , and it put madoka at risk given that she is forced back as a human temporary
, but aside from that everyone is happy. madoka Tv ended on the biggest self sacrifice in anime i can think off and rebellion basicly said " your sacrifice was selfish , i can't accept it as it is " witch is , by all means entirely true even if you don't factor all she did , in order to save her friend.

True, but I was mostly referring to the fact that in Rebellion
it's been made clear that Homura "broke the rules" and is now the enemy.

So now, instead of the future leaning towards every magical girl being a part of the Law of Cycles and all together, it's leading towards one big impending battle between Madoka and Homura. That's what I mean by leaning towards something negative. How's that all going to play out? We won't know until SHAFT make a sequel to this (I still believe that they will). And I hate that.

So now, instead of the future leaning towards every magical girl being a part of the Law of Cycles and all together, it's leading towards one big impending battle between Madoka and Homura. That's what I mean by leaning towards something negative. How's that all going to play out? We won't know until SHAFT make a sequel to this (I still believe that they will). And I hate that.

I don't think that there will be a conflict between
madoka and homura . What is clear is that they are on opposites sides , but you can't go back on the rules too ( the one madoka wrote). Both are ennemies , yes , but they aren't in conflict because they have the same goal, just different means to achive that goal. I still think that rebellion ending is more positive because it ends with 2 protagonist reunited( on different sides of the fence , yes, madoka won't forgive homura , once she regain her memory , yes)... but at least they are together

phaze

Finally.

The manliest fight of our generation will commence.
So hard-boiled

I usually manage to get used to the artstyles and character designs I hate at the beginning but this above makes me think not continuing OP was a good idea.

The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya 11-12/27, 26

Those chronological back end episodes feel more like DVD bonuses rather than a part of the main narrative.

I finally realise that going by the broadcast order might have been a mistake. I scrolled down down past the wiki list of episodes and it seems there is no non chronological order (Kyon order) for the second season ? I'm not sure why I was labouring under that impression yeah, that's what I get for not delving much into the subject matter. If I'm going to end up following the chronological order anyway, I might just as well start now.

Arslan Senki - 07

Good episode. The sword fight was nice, if a bit short, I hope that was a small taste of what is to come. I liked that the Queen's history was told as rumors between the Lusitanian generals.
I'm not opposed to see what's going on in the capital, but I'd like for the Arslan team to become more.. active. I feel like I'm going to end up liking plenty of characters in this show, and this episode left me optimistic for the future.

Simoun 16 They attempted to do that one thing from the first episode again and failed yet again. Don't think they are dead though.
Grisaia no Rakuen 05 And now starts the journey to get him out of prison. The
Sci-fi
shit starts now! Also felt like a bunch of CG shots the episode.
and they got in some dirty jokes
Yamada-kun 06 Alright

EDEN OF GRISAIA

And there we are , the bestest ARC EVER of grisaia has started !
And nobody will be ready for the sheer mayhem of what will happen.
I can only imagine what will everyone watching this show will have when they'll finish the last episode in a few months.

Ps: That opening is fantastic ..

So yeah. Lol.

Kinda a shame this never happened.

So every sequel to something with a conclusive ending should be one big "screw you" to anyone who liked the way the original ended? Sure. Okay.

If they do it as good as Rebellion did then yes.

zzzzz #7

BOOOOORING.

Also that's now how you sell your DVD, studio Wit.

You need 2 female characters to do that !

-----------------------------------------
Hello kirino Mosaic - 07

How weird how i was making fun of KM and the insane use of english in the very first episode , and now it has , IMO one of the best use of english in anime.

So karen is really the best character , news at 11 , but still ..

"any day , anytime, anywhere , karen desu !!"

PS: Karen mother has magnificent teaching skills

Anko

Oh. Well in that case, I wouldn't really care if it was unremarkable or not, because the movie didn't even really need to exist in the first place.

I believe the director said fans were free to regard the TV series as the one canon end if they so choose. He went with this ending despite knowing that it would receive a mixed response.

I don't think Madoka will see
Homura as the enemy, despite Homura setting herself up as the devil. Homura did bring Madoka back because she thought it would be best for her (Madoka). I'm guessing it'll be centered around Madoka reaching out to Homura. And we shouldn't forget about QB. You know he's definitely going to try and take advantage of the situation.

Further thoughts on Madoka Magica Rebellion:

Ignoring the first atrocious fan fiction level first 30 minutes, this was both amazing and atrocious movie, The movie turns a dark, but bittersweet story of love and sacrifice into an absolute tragedy borne from suffering, thereby annihilating everything that was the point of the finale of the original show. Homura's selfish decision overrides Madoka's choice and makes her sacrifice count for nothing. Seriously, that ending is completely meaningless. No magical girls got saved from despair. What was once a climax is just an event.
It's not completely meaningless. Madoka
the goddess still exists I think. Homura just took the human part of Madoka and put her back in the human world. There are no witches in this world. Madoka is not a magical girl. If anything, Homura's consistent in having saved Madoka. Is preventing someone from sacrificing herself really selfish though?

That love is now an obsession. That hope is now not giving a fuck at all except Madoka.
Homura's love has always been obsessive, even in the TV series. She has always put Madoka first. It didn't matter if it was not possible to save the others. She tries and it pains her when she can't but it's not enough to get her to reset the world. Only Madoka can.

That impetus to save Madoka devolved into how she could keep her for herself.
I wouldn't say that Homura did it to
keep Madoka for herself. It's quite the opposite isn't it? If she went with Madoka, she would have been by her side for eternity, just as Madoka said. But no. She rejected that and chose to make Madoka human again. Homura did it to give Madoka her own idea of what happiness would be for her. Yes, she made that decision for her, but it was based on what Madoka, as a human, told her - that she would never be able to bear the notion of going far away from her loved ones. What Homura did will potentially pit Madoka against her. She knows that. It's tragic because Homura loves Madoka and wants so much for Madoka to be happy with a normal life, but it won't ever be one where Homura is by her side.

Looking at the the post credit scene, the side of the field where Madoka's chair from the Luminous OP is supposed to be is gone. This is also the field where the two sat and spoke to one another in rebellion. Homura looks so lonely and spent in that chair

At the same time here is the thing, it was done really well, and I can see why she did what she did as screwed up as it is. At the very least the movie was off its rockers towards the end (well, it was kind of off its rocker at the beginning as well, what's up with the cake song?), and whether that is awesome is something only you can decide (I liked that movie went full on crazy). If there was any way to screw up with the status quo established previously, this is a great way to go about it. And if the original show were a tragedy, it would be something like this. Aside from the first 30 minutes I can't decide whether it's good or bad, it's both! The difficulty comes from the fact that the movie is not isolated from the show and so it overrides the show's beautifully built up climax, but at the same time it feels like a logical progression, as if it couldn't have happened otherwise. God why would they do this to me? ;_;
Why hate on the start though. I loved it. It gave us a glimpse of the world that could have been. Go watch it again, with the knowledge that Sayaka knew everything from the beginning. See where Homura and Madoka's conversation/feelings start to misalign. I think that this was the natural progression of Homura's feelings, however misguided it might be.

Now excuse me while I go loop Kimi no Gin no Niwa endlessly. ;_;

yurisses

Neo Member
Time of Eve (and Pale Cocoon)

I rewatched Time of Eve recently. It's been one of the only rewatches I enjoyed less than on first watch. This time around I was pretty annoyed by the protagonists' intrusiveness and insensitivity. Is it just me? Candidly opening someone else's photo folder? Peeking on someone who purposely hid to have some privacy? I found it a forced, unpleasant way to explore the side characters' background. The protagonists' obnoxious behaviour is in part a product of the setting, but that makes the cafe's success dubious, and still the story could have worked with less obnoxious main characters.

In fact, maybe I would have liked Time of Eve better if it respected its own rules and left more ambiguous which characters were androids and which were humans. I'd probably have liked a more atmospheric approach with the "speakeasy" safe place free of discrimination, rather than it being turned into a sleuthing ground where Holmes and Watson violate everyone's privacy to explore themes better fleshed out by previous novels and short stories.

I also rewatched Pale Cocoon last year in its shiny encode from 2011. The upgrade made a big difference. (The CGI is still CGI, but at least it looks decent.) After rewatching Time of Eve, Pale Cocoon definitively took my top spot. I prefer its BLAME-ish cyberpunk aesthetic, devoid of human life but full of vast, dimly-lit, disused offices and structures. Its protagonists are not tone-deaf like Eve's, whose tone-jumping in script also bothered me at times. I also feel like Time of Eve's reach exceeded its grasp while Pale Cocoon realised its premise satisfyingly. I've seen said that Pale Cocoon's message is simplistic, but I don't see a message in Pale Cocoon; I see a sci-fi premise with a twist (a climactic/cathartic one at that), an interesting buildup presenting various opinions on the use/purpose of history, and a great aesthetic.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
Hachiman crying would be so out of character. I feel like he has too much pride for that.

That's the thing, I haven't read the LN's but I'm sure he's going through a transformation right now.

In the beginning, in S1, he saw himself as a worthless character in the story of life and got caught in this service club with Yui and Yukino. Hikigaya loathed it since he believed he had no placed he belonged too. Having depressing experiences as a child with shitty people made his outlook on life a dim one, believing no one cares for him and he has to fight his battles on his own, which is a good mentality to have but it goes to an extreme with Hikigaya, which ends up denying the attention and friendship of other people.

With that low value of self and depending on the situation, like if its better if he does it than anybody else so they don't get hurt, he plunges and sacrifices himself depending to resolve an issue.

The transformation going on right now is that he is beginning to realize that he has value and doesn't understand what that is since this is possibly the first time someone other than his sister outside his home is starting to show him he has value, which are Yui and Yukino. However, the two are doing it in different and very polarizing ways, one is showing it outwardly while the other is being obtuse about it and now believes she is worthless since Hikigaya can come up with all the solutions (which Hikigaya doesn't believe at all). Which in turn, is giving him value and worth as a member of the club in his own eyes, even though he hasn't realized it yet. Since all of them are teenagers and have difficulty portraying their honest feelings, it basically all boils down to Hikigaya being a martyr for select people when they ask for help and Yukino and Yui aren't liking that anymore since they think he is not just a useless piece of flesh (which Hiki thinks he is) but a friend and a classmate who provides great ideas and have a great time with.

Since the beginning of the club, Hikigaya didn't want to join due to his personality, same with Yukino, I don't recall why Yui joined though, possibly had no other clubs to join in (might have to rewatch S1 to remember). However, since he now is starting to feel as a functioning member of the club, its conflicting with his pride of

"not saying anything and being quiet since my opinion (not a solution to a problem) means nothing"

and Yukino see's that the only way to relieve Hiki from all this trouble is to tell him that its alright to leave the club if its too much of a hassle. Now the part that frustrated me this episode, which is a good thing cause its showing that Hiki is growing, is how he tried to reply back to Yukino's statement but didn't, showing he's just learning how to accept his new perception of life. He'll eventually break down (probably won't show it all too well, maybe just get really mad) and say his honest feelings, not what optimal for a situation, not the best for all three of them, just what he wants since now he has to put his pride aside for the sake of his two friends, Yukino and Yui. This is basically what I was thinking of when I saw the latest episode.
Iroha is the best girl, fuck everyone else!

You need 2 female characters to do that !

-----------------------------------------
Hello kirino Mosaic - 07

How weird how i was making fun of KM and the insane use of english in the very first episode , and now it has , IMO one of the best use of english in anime.

So karen is really the best character , news at 11 , but still ..

"any day , anytime, anywhere , karen desu !!"

PS: Karen mother has magnificent teaching skills

Not really, Seraph was advertised for the female audience considering the amount of BL overtones from merchandising and promotional posters. Too bad it's not working that well for the BD.

It seems most of the audience have fled to Kekkai Sensen for some reason looking at the BD preorders and the amount of art on Pixiv as well.

Mandelbo

What happened with Seraph of the End? I'm not watching it, but the last I was hearing of it was that it was pretty good and that it was supposed to be the next Attack on Titan, or something. Did it start petering out after the beginning or am I just imagining that people were praising it?

ibyea

Banned
It's not completely meaningless. Madoka
the goddess still exists I think. Homura just took the human part of Madoka and put her back in the human world. There are no witches in this world. Madoka is not a magical girl. If anything, Homura's consistent in having saved Madoka. Is preventing someone from sacrificing herself really selfish though?

Oh, I was under the impression things got undone. Also, what she did to Madoka she did without her consent. If you ask me that is messed up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom