• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2015 |OT| The Disappearance of YEAARRT!

Status
Not open for further replies.

NeonZ

They should do the opposite of Sailor Moon Crystal and only recast Goku. Get somebody not terrible this time.

The day they recast Goku, probably when Nozawa dies or retires, it'll be with someone who sounds just like Nozawa in the role anyway. Goku's Japanese voice is way too iconic to be significantly changed.

Vito

Banned
Taimadou Gakuen 35 Shiken Shoutai aka Anti-Magic Academy "The 35th Test Platoon" anime character designs. (Character design: Kōsuke Kawamura)

tumblr_nojsg6gmOF1sqqtwzo1_1280.jpg
tumblr_nojsg6gmOF1sqqtwzo2_1280.jpg

http://otakomu.jp/archives/259608.html

CorvoSol

Nice impressions on a wonderful film. Can't say I've really considered this city/countryside angle when I was watching it, though I admittedly never did much critical thinking over this title. As you say, it's also a grounded, subtle movie so it isn't shoving any such themes right into your face. It's probably a part of what I enjoy in these kind of works. I simply liked following this woman's (or girl's) story and didn't have to look for anything deeper to enjoy it, as it was simply well done on its own. That you can then additionally see those parallels, as opposed to having those hammered into your skull, is how I like my films/series to be.

When I look at Yuri Kuma Arashi and it's entirely uncompelling story and characters, how could I possibly be interested in any themes it tries to convey?

In fairness, one has to ask if Lesbian Bear Storm was ever really going to offer anything more meaningful than its title.

I will say, I never would have thought of comparing Only Yesterday to Arjuna. lol

We all know my brain functions in weird ass ways anyway, haha.

Nice impressions on a wonderful film. Can't say I've really considered this city/countryside angle when I was watching it, though I admittedly never did much critical thinking over this title. As you say, it's also a grounded, subtle movie so it isn't shoving any such themes right into your face. It's probably a part of what I enjoy in these kind of works. I simply liked following this woman's (or girl's) story and didn't have to look for anything deeper to enjoy it, as it was simply well done on its own. That you can then additionally see those parallels, as opposed to having those hammered into your skull, is how I like my films/series to be.

When I look at Yuri Kuma Arashi and it's entirely uncompelling story and characters, how could I possibly be interested in any themes it tries to convey?

The sad thing is that Ikuhara was once capable of doing this. Utena is great in large part because it works as a show with excellent characters even if you ignore most of the symbolism.

Anko

Show by rock 7
Boring episode for me since I don't really like that band of idiots. I'm also getting bored of their same old jokes. One of the revelations this episode also makes this a lot less dark than I hoped it would become. I actually kinda wished the band of idiots
lost to the dark monster instead. By the looks of the preview, Aion will turn next episode. If that's the case, they could have condensed this episode with the next since Tsugihagi isn't much of a character and they seem to be doing the same thing with Aion
. When the hell is Cyan actually going to get to do something other than run around?

...Something must be wrong with me. I keep wishing for despair and suffering.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
PRISON SCHOOL GONNA BE GREAT

I HOPE

I wonder why shitty directors still have their jobs. Prison School is not going to get the anime it deserves. For anyone who has read the manga, you would understand why.

Did some digging and fansubs say "If this is all that it takes to tear us apart then maybe we weren't all that close to begin with". This sounds infinitely better than the Crunchy sub, and more meaningful as this is what Hachiman said to Hayama few episodes back.

Yeah, I'm kinda apprehensive about the end of this season. I had no idea SNAFU was based on a LN and I didnt really pay attention as much during the first season so I didnt really miss it too much when it finished. I'm really gonna hate the wait for new LNs to drop and for a new season, which will take another few years to materialize :(

That makes a lot more sense, it makes Hachiman learn that this relationship with Yukino has value and he doesn't want to lose it. Which in turn will press him to open up a little more and be honest, same with Yunkino.

It'll probably take 2-3 years to get another season, as long as it happens, I'm content.

Taimadou Gakuen 35 Shiken Shoutai aka Anti-Magic Academy "The 35th Test Platoon" anime character designs. (Character design: Kōsuke Kawamura)

I am so down for this anime. This summer will be a rough one trying to keep up with all this goodness.

Monmosu PV https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ikzH2JraY7U

Designs for the 3 new characters VA were leaked for

Only dabbled with the manga but this anime is looking to be promising.

Speaking as someone who just went through this with Digimon, don't.

It's not going to be good, and you're only going to set yourself up for more pain this way. Steel your heart against it, and expect it to start in winter with 4 minute web episodes every three weeks with all the characters recast.

I don't know. This is Dragon ball we're talking about here.

They've made two movies that seem to be getting a lot of positive reception (and I know that's not saying much, but still), so I think the only way they could screw Super up is to not have a moment where Goku and Piccolo drive cars.

Honestly, and I mean no offense by this, but I think Japan has more respect for Dragon ball than they do for Sailor Moon and Digimon, which also increases the chances of Super being a legitimate TV series.

Reknoc

I don't know. This is Dragon ball we're talking about here.

They've made two movies that seem to be getting a lot of positive reception (and I know that's not saying much, but still), so I think the only way they could screw Super up is to not have a moment where Goku and Piccolo drive cars.

Honestly, and I mean no offense by this, but I think Japan has more respect for Dragon ball than they do for Sailor Moon and Digimon, which also increases the chances of Super being a legitimate TV series.

I don't know about the Freeza film, but Battle of Gods was pretty ugly by Toei movie standards. I mean, I still enjoyed it but that was because Whis and Beerus were great, but it didn't touch their One Piece films.

/XX/

sounded pretty dull from what dresden posted bout the manga. zzzzzzz
It could be called things like derivative and ridiculous... but dull isn't exactly how I'd describe it, man! Featuring petrol-heads' existentialism by the grace of God, talking bikes, silly and a bit-of-an-outcast maidens (being perverts too, of course)... this work has plenty of witty and crazy moments enough to overrun much of its generic first appearance. At least fans of tosh and his recent 'shōnen' adventures should look into what another great "ero-industry warrior" successfully wading through new challenges can achieve on more mainstream ways, but conserving much of what made them stand out.

Because, certainly, I have to admit that Mr. Mimana's 'h-dōjin' is what attracted me to his work in the beginning, in particular his accomplishment in the art of the curly hair (mighty example is Temoshinko from the mild Good Morning, Penis), but the exaggerated kind of humour he showcases along with a very expressive penmanship makes his style perfectly valid to make decent projects for all audiences too!

cajunator

Banned
You have to be joking. Lili's absolutely idiotic background was dead serious.

Danmachi isn't any better than SAO.

err...yeah its definitely better than SAO. thats not saying a whole lot. At the very least it doesnt introduce characters and just throw them on the side.

Dude that's tame af.

Best girl tho

You never know these days. Better safe than banned.
Also no shes not the best!

Mad Max: Fury Road

So while the movie was pretty awesome, I'd like to bring attention about the planned Mad Max anime that never happened. That's right, an "anime".

http://blogs.indiewire.com/theplaylist/george-miller-says-mad-max-furiosa-was-initially-planned-as-an-anime-companion-film-to-mad-max-fury-road-20150507

Here's an older interview from 2009 when it was still a thing and Miller with seemingly strange views in his reasoning for calling it anime http://moviesblog.mtv.com/2009/03/05/exclusive-fourth-mad-max-in-developmentas-3-d-anime-feature/

So yeah. Lol.

Wait this was almost an anime? I can kind of believe that but it would have been kind of like Redline maybe.

cajunator

Banned
Fund it if t they can dig up people that can animate 2d cars.

Aw hell Ill offer to draw them myself if thats whats necessary.

So every sequel to something with a conclusive ending should be one big "screw you" to anyone who liked the way the original ended? Sure. Okay.

Let's have a G Gundam sequel where
Allenby goes all yandere and kills Domon and Rain.
Because screw the
Love Love Tenkyoken right?

A new conflict that was just thrown out there with no resolution planned out.

Also, what was unremarkable about the way the original series ended?
Madoka saves all the magical girls from despair, sacrificing her own existence, Homura vows to continue fight, knowing that she'll meet Madoka again one day.

The fact that they were able to pull off an ending even remotely bitter-sweet like that when everything was so screwed up before is what I loved about the series. How is that in any way unremarkable?

Madoka Rebellion is like a Gurren Lagann sequel where
the Spiral Nemesis actually did happen and it was intentionally caused by Viral of all people.
It makes everything that happened in the original series feel meaningless by comparison.

I really wish it was. If Madoka was the Evangelion of magical girl anime, then Madoka Rebellion is Eureka Seven Astral Ocean.

Maybe I could see your point there. I understand that Rebellion goes into the fact that
some of the characters had regrets from the series, but I still think that the original ending is great because even despite those regrets, you could still feel like everything was going to turn out okay.

And that's another one of my huge problems with Rebellion.

In Madoka, sure everything seemed really sad, but you could feel that it was leaning towards something positive.

Rebellion is the opposite of that, where yeah, everything seems all fine and dandy, but it leans toward something negative.

I can see why some people would enjoy that, and I won't hold it against anybody who does, but for me, it all just feels unnecessary when I really felt a good sense of closure with the original ending.

Whether or not the ending of rebellion tied up the series with a pretty bow is kind of irrelevant and would have been boring. The way it ended seems much closer to how Homura would have responded and what she would have done. She has always come off as selfish and self interested and I got that vibe even from the series. It was the natural way it could end IMO. Also fits the dark narrative of the entire show and the tone.

That I did not expect.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
This is so sterile and limp that I actually hate that it exists. I hate that anyone could possibly anticipate this. I hate anime.

I don't hate the concept of bizarre interspecies romance with monsters that basically just look like cute girls (because it might be funny), I just already know I hate Monster Musume. Also, super lewd.

The exact opposite of super lewd. I know I said I hate cute girls doing cute things shows, but its mostly just Umaru being silly and her friends being silly, so this will be fun, I assume. I can't imagine the episodes are more than 3 or 4 minutes though.

Jex

ONLY YESTERDAY

[...]

Ultimately, this seems to be the basic idea of the movie: the city is a cold, hard place that produces cynical, guarded people who have trouble relating to or understanding one another, and where survival is based upon one's ability to blend into the crowd. The country is a warm, loving place that produces emotive, healthy, individualistic people who are at the same time far more selfless and caring.

One thing that's certainly clear from watching Miyazaki and Takhata's films is that they both tend towards an overt pro-country, pro-simple life bias. You don't really see either director interrogate the idea that maybe people in the country aren't any better, or wise, than the people who live in cities.

I suppose it's less of an overt bias on their parts and more of a lens with which they view the world around them. Still, it's weakness to their work which one has to bear in mind when viewing what they produce.

Cornbread78

Love Live! ep. 2-END:
Ok, so as promised, I went through the entire first season. It was your typical school drama, but with idols instead of sports or other activities. The characters all had pretty good personalities. I don't know who would be voting for team Niko anyhow? Meh... I don't think I have a favorite, but still, Niko is a tsundare, ugghh. The ending was sweet with the added drama, but I'm glad it worked out the way it did, although, I would have changed the script just a little bit, lol.

Jex

This is so sterile and limp that I actually hate that it exists. I hate that anyone could possibly anticipate this. I hate anime.

While I haven't quite reached that point I must admit that the PV looks pretty bad. It's just appears to be really stiff and bland which presumably isn't what the audience is looking for.

cajunator

Banned
Chobits ep. 7-8
The weird just keeps coming with poor Chi. How can she
shut down every computer around town after being touched in the crotch by the peep show guy. Then the voice in her head? WTF?
She is very cute, but Hideki needs to focus on the super cute Yumi. However, very cute moment at the end of ep.8.

I agree. Yumi is a cutie. But Chi has her moments. Although being a computer girl is just bizarre in itself, though VIdeo Girl Ai went down this sort of road first. The funny thing is despite Chi not being real their relationship still feels more genuine than most harem animes.

But you guys told me how horrible that show was last week, you should be embarrassed with yourself, lol...

^^^^
Edit: The post above was made in a joking manor and was done for fun (the "lol" was there, LOL)

Now everyone hold hands, watch some SAO and Cross Ange with smiles ahoy!

Cross ange yes, SAO hell no. but I really think you are ready to watch Yami to Boshi. Put that on your list somewhere. Ask MadP about it.

Yes, long live Love Live! I shall add it to my MAL now and watch both seasons on Crunchyroll to further my enlightenment.

Love Live is pretty fun. You might enjoy it.

PRISON SCHOOL GONNA BE GREAT

I HOPE

I sincerely hope that show doesnt take down animegaf. How do we even discuss it?

I started following anime just this season because of SNAFU and Soma. Normally, I'd wait till the end of the season and marathon it so I don't get a nagging feeling I was left hanging. I think I need one more to add to my list. Maybe Grisaia (I haven't watched or have any idea of the story)?

Same here. It'll likely be toned down given its content which will affect the humor and interactions which are the staple of the manga.

First off welcome to this really fun hobby!
Secondly, I kind of feel for you because there is so much good stuff to wade through and a good portion of it isnt streaming at all.

Whether or not the ending of rebellion tied up the series with a pretty bow is kind of irrelevant and would have been boring. The way it ended seems much closer to how Homura would have responded and what she would have done. She has always come off as selfish and self interested and I got that vibe even from the series. It was the natural way it could end IMO. Also fits the dark narrative of the entire show and the tone.

I can see why someone would like that about the movie. But for me, I just really did not appreciate how
they went about making Homura into a villain at the end after how much I loved how the original series ended.

I sincerely hope that show doesnt take down animegaf. How do we even discuss it?
We must speak in code. They kinda do it in the manga too. Kiyoshi's dilemma with the medusa recently is a good example. Didn't this sentence sound completely inoffensive right now? Only people that watch or read would know what we are even talking about lol.

cajunator

Banned
I'm looking forward to that Gate anime this summer.

Guys, it's got the military fighting dragons in a fantasy land when they're on an adventure and stuff.

Every time I read Gate I think of the anime Rio Rainbow Gate. but this show will be nothing like that.

Cross Ange minus the viewer self-loathing and trashy lesbianism? What's the point?

But thats what makes it fun! Also Vivian.

There are some nationalistic tones at times that can get pretty annoying in the manga, hopefully they tone them down for the adaption.

A Brown Elf does appear at some point.

Im listening..

Guys, it really doesn't matter in what season or what format Dragon Ball Super eventually manifests, it's Toei so it's guaranteed to be bad!

You're probably right. I dont now how they could do DragonBall any justice at this point.

Taruranto

Love Live! ep. 2-END:
Ok, so as promised, I went through the entire first season. It was your typical school drama, but with idols instead of sports or other activities. The characters all had pretty good personalities. I don't know who would be voting for team Niko anyhow? Meh... I don't think I have a favorite, but still, Niko is a tsundare, ugghh. The ending was sweet with the added drama, but I'm glad it worked out the way it did, although, I would have changed the wcript just a little bit, lol.

Why they all have the same face.

cajunator

Banned
That and Wagnaria s3 have me really excited for next season.

I cant wait for more Yamada!

Magic Knight Rayearth 29-30

Eagle with Autozam's sad backstory yada yada yada. More or less expected given how everyone is somewhat sympathetic in this show. Eagle and Lantis desperately want to restart their bromance. So Autozam does have more than 3 people. That's a relief.

Now Nova, that was great. Seems like they saved their budget for this fight. She's crazy. In a good way. Easily the best antagonist thus far. Sometimes someone who is just brutal is needed. Should be a nice wake-up call for Hikaru.

My favorite thing about MKR is how automotive obsessed it is, just like Chaika. Its fun picking out all the car names.

OMG. I wanna see this.

Stig disagree
MLSQbSh.jpg

:O

I cant understand what my husband is saying episode 1
So I on impulse decided to open the crunchyroll app I downloaded on my WiiU, I downloaded a while ago and looked at it, but iirc I couldnt do anything unless I had a premium account, now unless I completely forgot it has given me the option of samples and free trials and the option to login, login is futile as I have a CR account but dont have the premium atleast not yet. So I decided to check out the samples, because why not, saw something that caught my eye which is this anime right here, it actually has to do with a couple who are not only together already, but are fucking married, fucking game changer here.

Anyways since it was the first time with the samples I had assume they only played 3 mins and whatever seconds this episode was, but as it went along it became apparent that this was one of those few min anime things, its pretty funny however, despite some weird cuts because the pacing is at F-zero miles per hour. But it really does play the whole episode of the sample they give, which leads me to my next anime watched....

Fate/Zettai Ryouiki episode 0 prologue
I have the visual novel, I havent dived more than maybe 5 mins into before basically putting it on hold indefinitely as I have gone on hiatus on VNs, its been god maybe a year since then, but I always wanted to play the VN before watching the show since I saw fate/zero, but I decided to watch the prologue as it wouldnt hurt and it will be just the beginning stuff.

I really enjoyed it, great animation and a amazing fight happens and then im left with intrigue, feel like playing the VN right now tho might just wait until tomorrow. While watching I wanted to see what they changed for the "have da secks for the manas" and I think I have a pretty good idea what they changed haha.

Agreed. ICUWMHIS is one of the underrated surprises of the year so far.

Hmmm. Initial thoughts, Usagi is best.

8 x 11 printer paper has made me interested in seeing this.

Eeeeeeeeee Suu <3 <3 <3
These designs are absolutely spot on!

YES

RPOeq77.jpg

TOP GEAR LIVES MOTHERFUCKERS

Stig-chan is mai waifu

OH MY GOD I WANT TO SEE THIS

While I haven't quite reached that point I must admit that the PV looks pretty bad. It's just appears to be really stiff and bland which presumably isn't what the audience is looking for.

Let me sign that, too.

When you hear about this supposedly oh so fantastic ecchi manga and then see this blandest of trailers. Meh.

The character design certainly screams generic, and that's with animal parts.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan

I'm feeling it. bless you Dogakobo studio

Not sure what to think. I like the manga, but i don't know if i'm going to enjoy the anime version.

Stig-chan so moe~

Btw the fact that we've seen nothing of Prison School or hell the issue we still don't know the studio or director, isn't giving me any hope that the production commitee didn't just dump this on some C rate studio.

Now you're making me worry....

So, 30 minutes anime? Nice.

Plastic Memories 6-7

This show sure is quick in changing the mood. One episode it goes grim dark with a child about to get murdered by wanderer, latest episode is Tsukasa and Isla on a date with few comedic moment. Eh, i'll watch it till the end.

Well, people enjoyed Battle of Gods, and I think that new Frieza movie is shaping up to be pretty good.

I don't think we really need to worry too much about this.
It's Toei. I didn't think there was reason to worry about Digimon based on the promotion and art. Now, one meltdown later, I want to make sure no one follows in my footsteps. Toei will pull something. Friends don't let friends get hyped by Toei.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom