• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2015 |OT| The Disappearance of YEAARRT!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Welcome to the club. Some just hate how popular it got with so many flaws.

Well obviously I wouldn't give two shits if this piece of crap show hadn't gained any traction. After all, I watched it because it got so damned popular and eventually caught my attention (that was before I was browsing AnimeGAF).

So I then watched the show and it was garbage in just about all regards. I could give credit to some of the nicer looking background art but that's not gonna help it, because it's like the least important thing if a show is otherwise terrible.

However, do I now hate it because of its popularity? No, I hate the show on its own merits. Had I watched it without knowing about any hype or so, I still would have hated it.

Of course, it is additionally a god damn shame that this crap gained as much popularity as it did and thus you can't escape the people talking about it, but it doesn't affect the show's quality itself.

e:
In other news, Happy Birthday Cajun!

Midonin

Happy birthday, cajun

Sound! Euphonium 07

When I think of saxophones and people quitting musical groups, the first thing that comes to mind is Otoha. Seriously, Otoha is strong of will and of heart. But that's in a completely different genre and just me putting my pet interests forward.

This series has been focusing on the competition aspect, and I respect that, but to some degree, I sort of got what Aoi and her friends were saying too. Music is, to some degree, an art, and while that "art" may be lowered on an individual level when it's harder for each person to make their contribution stand out, that doesn't mean it's not there. Though art won't win a competition, as Kaori can testify. This series is forcing me to confront my own ideas about what art are, too.

But the incoming romantic misunderstanding... I knew this was coming, knew that people would hope it was coming, and I would rather just focus on Kumiko, Hazuki and Sapphire learning and growing with music together. That's what I came here for. Not that I'm not open to the series being about other things, but maybe opening the windows and letting a little bit of the atmosphere type in wouldn't hurt.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Well obviously I wouldn't give two shits if this piece of crap show hadn't gained any traction. After all, I watched it because it got so damned popular and eventually caught my attention (that was before I was browsing AnimeGAF).

So I then watched the show and it was garbage in just about all regards. I could give credit to some of the nicer looking background art but not gonna help it, because that's like the least important thing if a show is otherwise terrible.

However, do I now hate it because of its popularity? No, I hate the show on its own merits. Had I watched it without knowing about any hype or so, I still would have hated it.

Of course, it is additionally a god damn shame that this crap gained as much popularity as it gets and so you can't escape the people talking about it, but it doesn't affect the shows quality itself.

e:
In other news, Happy Birthday Cajun!

SAO is definetely on the edge of "so bad its horrible" instead of "so bad its good." (well, maybe more like "sort of watchable if nothing else is on") I think being the first to air with the MMO concept is pretty much was what gave it the level of popularity it got. I mean, its worse in every possible way than Log Horizon at depicting the same subject matter. Season 2's random panning shots of Sinon's ass and chest made everything so much more cringeworthy though.

Oh hell, what am I saying, the licking tears off a naked girl's face, random Sinon ass shots and Kirito being the Gary Stuest Gary Stu to ever Gary Stu is probably why its so popular.

SAO is definetely on the edge of "so bad its horrible" instead of "so bad its good." (well, maybe more like "watchable if nothing else is on") I think being the first to air with the MMO concept is pretty much was what gave it the level of popularity.

I mean, its worse in every possible way than Log Horizon at depicting the same subject matter. Season 2's random panning shots of Sinon's ass and chest made everything so much more cringeworthy though.

It's pretty much the only anime I did hate watch the second season for, as in parts it really is so bad it's good and I was following a blog (wrongeverytime.com) which had SAO episode reviews that were a rather funny read.

However, I find watching something like that to be rather draining as it's ultimately still garbage. Especially when you watch it by yourself. So at the half point of S2 I bailed out and was happier for it.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
It's pretty much the only anime I did hate watch the second season for, as in parts it really is so bad it's good and I was following a blog (wrongeverytime.com) which had SAO episode reviews that were a rather funny read.

However, I find watching something like that to be rather draining as it's ultimately still garbage. Especially when you watch it by yourself. So at the half point of S2 I bailed out and was happier for it.

The worst part about SAO to me honestly is that the show has no reason to exist outside of the Aincrad arc. Literally every other arc seems only to exist as either "Kirito being the best at everything"-fanservice, or straight fanservice of the female leads (Sugu in Elf world, Sinon in Gun Gale Online, everyone in the shorter arcs after that). There isn't even an overarching narrative.

At least in Dungeon Girls, I can ask myself why there are Gods hanging around randomly and wonder what the purpose of the dungeon is. (I also occasionally crack a smile at something that happens in Dan Machi vs. just laughing at SAO for its audacity)

I'm bad at making avatars :T

You've done some pretty good ones before! You just need to scale them so they don't lose their original aspect ratio.

SAO is definetely on the edge of "so bad its horrible" instead of "so bad its good." (well, maybe more like "sort of watchable if nothing else is on") I think being the first to air with the MMO concept is pretty much was what gave it the level of popularity it got. I mean, its worse in every possible way than Log Horizon at depicting the same subject matter. Season 2's random panning shots of Sinon's ass and chest made everything so much more cringeworthy though.

Oh hell, what am I saying, the licking tears off a naked girl's face, random Sinon ass shots and Kirito being the Gary Stuest Gary Stu to ever Gary Stu is probably why its so popular.

.hack came before SAO did so it wasn't the first of the MMO anime. SAO did become a lot more popular than .hack though.

I just started watching Patlabor. Huh, this is pretty fun. I can see now why people like it, I can see the appeal. I'm on like, the 5th episode now. The only real criticisms I have are that the characters suddenly deform their faces and grow their mouths really large sometimes, and that looks silly. That didn't need to happen. They could've stopped with that whole schtick. And uh, there's that one early episode where the experimental military labor goes haywire and is just blowing away all of the military's elite labors. Yet somehow gets stopped by these two police labors. Really? That's just silly. That wasn't believable in the slightest.

I think the one big worry that I have now, being on the 5th episode, is just... are all of the rest of the episodes just going to revolve around Ohta doing something stupid and being a buffoon, and then having Noa being plucky and resourceful and saving the day? Is that really the pattern they're gonna fall into for the whole show? Cause that'll get old.

Cornbread78

B Gata H Kei ep. 1:
Holy crap, that was funny. Crude, rude crass, but good humor all the way around. You win Cajun…. This should be interesting to see where it goes…

310px-B_gata_K_kei_epi_1.png

cajunator

Banned
B Gata H Kei ep. 1:
Holy crap, that was funny. Crude, rude crass, but good humor all the way around. You win Cajun…. This should be interesting to see where it goes…

310px-B_gata_K_kei_epi_1.png

Its great in that the prettiest girl in school this time has zero sex experience and her attempts to get anywhere are super awkward.

Another day , another endless recursion in time ..it's a SAo discussion on animegaf..

But it's not just another day , since it's cajun birthday !

happy birthday cajun !

Cornbread78

thumb-350-314574.jpg
thumb-350-318183.jpg

thumb-350-320322.jpg
3480.gif

2518.gif

Sorry GAF, screw the story, these two are awesome together... The gifs and artwork online are insane for this one... BTW, the first image should have been the ending...

or:

thumb-350-554581.jpg

well, I feel better now... a tear just rolled down my cheek..

Cornbread78

I've come to the realization more and more that the reason why I can deal with terrible plot holes and boring luls in stories is because all that truly matters in the end is that 1 second you can make truly a difference. Living for the moment and stepping up in that moment are a great thing...

We don't need to resort to this.

LOL, I was looking at online images anyhow and my mouse just slipped...

cajunator

Banned
Woah. What's this :^)

Check it out. Its insanely funny.

Also, a lot of shows have been stuck in licensing/ license renewal hell for over a decade, like

Trouble Chocolate
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LE4fwV1nHe4

Android announcer Maico 2010
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uIwbQi_bLgc

Sumomo mo Momo mo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-LnWNohEaII

Mahoraba Heartful Days
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xmm9sb_mahoraba-opening-full_music

Penguin musume
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jXJLOhIRAqU

Omishi MAgical theater risky Safety
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQ6wRGRmtCw

Kamen No Maid guy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TEbUmrEbi_0

So if any of these pop up on licensing lists in the future seemingly at random, they are most assuredly real.

Jex

The only positive thing about the fandom's reaction to Sword Art Online is how hard and fast they turned on the show. This, at least, means that it will be buried harder and faster than I originally imagined.

I mean, people were certainly shitting all over it from day one but I just assumed that the 'general anime fandom' would hold it up as some kind of great work for years to become. I expected to see it on top 10 lists for a few years.

Instead, as soon as it got that point in the story that we all know too well, the reversal of the fandom felt surprisingly sudden. Soon, it became something that was wildly mocked not just here, but in it's own threads. I honestly did not see that coming because, as far as I was concerned, it had always been a bad show.

Perhaps that makes it worse though. If you really like a show and then it does something you detest you're probably going to be more vocal in your displeasure than if you always thought it sucked.

cajunator

Banned
The only positive thing about the fandom's reaction to Sword Art Online is how hard and fast they turned on the show. This, at least, means that it will be buried harder and faster than I originally imagined.

I mean, people were certainly shitting all over it from day one but I just assumed that the 'general anime fandom' would hold it up as some kind of great work for years to become. I expected to see it on top 10 lists for a few years.

Instead, as soon as it got that point in the story that we all know too well, the reversal of the fandom felt surprisingly sudden. Soon, it became something that was wildly mocked not just here, but in it's own threads. I honestly did not see that coming because, as far as I was concerned, it had always been a bad show.

Perhaps that makes it worse though. If you really like a show and then it does something you detest you're probably going to be more vocal in your displeasure than if you always thought it sucked.

Season 1 was an awful waste of time but SAO2 has actually been a fun diversion. Hell it got me to buy it and I hate the show.
Further, dont count on it suddenly falling out of popularity. the marketing for it is enormous, I see cosplayers everywhere and merchandise of almost every kind. There will be no wishing this show out of existence. Too many people like it.

Lain

http://images5.alphacoders.com/314/thumb-350-314574.jpg
http://images7.alphacoders.com/318/thumb-350-318183.jpg
http://images5.alphacoders.com/320/thumb-350-320322.jpg
http://giffiles.alphacoders.com/348/3480.gif
http://giffiles.alphacoders.com/251/2518.gif

Sorry GAF, screw the story, these two are awesome together... The gifs and artwork online are insane for this one... BTW, the first image should have been the ending...

or:

http://images7.alphacoders.com/554/thumb-350-554581.jpg

well, I feel better now... a tear just rolled down my cheek..

I completely agree, they are great together.
Also, plot holes or not, the show was great to follow. I just wish BDs for the second season will get a release over here, so I can put them next to the BDs of the first season and Extra.

Cornbread78

Straight for the kill; you must be a hitman in your day job.

Season 1 was an awful waste of time but SAO2 has actually been a fun diversion. Hell it got me to buy it and I hate the show.
Further, dont count on it suddenly falling out of popularity. the marketing for it is enormous, I see cosplayers everywhere and merchandise of almost every kind. There will be no wishing this show out of existence. Too many people like it.

The seeds have already been sown for a third season, more focused on reality than the fantasy world. It could get very interesting there.

I completely agree, they are great together.
Also, plot holes or not, the show was great to follow. I just wish BDs for the second season will get a release over here, so I can put them next to the BDs of the first season and Extra.

Volume 1 is scheduled for a June 30 release in DVD, regular edition Blu-ray, and limited edition Blu-ray versions. With the recent trend of Aniplex of America scheduling releases every 2 months, it is likely volume 2 will be released in August, volume 3 in October, and volume 4 in December.

I'm pondering getting volume 1 at Otakon and the latter 3 in December as my patience for this new release scheduling has run dry (also spending a lot of money importing Euphonium BDs and key frame sets from the KyoAni Shop).

I liked watching SAO cause it was obviously just made by a bunch of dudes who'd played WoW and I've played WoW and it was fun to see them making an anime out of dumb MMO tropes.

Then at about episode 15 or 16, it got real weird and made no sense and there was some incest and stuff and they went back into another MMO and why would you ever do that and it was less like WoW and uh.

So I think I stopped at a good place.

Jex

I don't seek to wish it out of existence. While there is still anime being produced and money invested in the property it will maintain some semblance of popularity but that seems like a temporary situation. The other big action work which appealed to a number of non-anime fans, Attack on Titan, is clearly here to stay as a staple of anime recommendation lists for years to come.

Angry Grimace

I wish someone in the foreign licensing department had the stones to refuse to listen to the translation efforts of people who don't speak English so we wouldn't have been stuck with "Attack on Titan" instead of "Attack of the Titans."

For the record, I enjoyed Attack on Titan and will continue to recommend it to people.

The seeds have already been sown for a third season, more focused on reality than the fantasy world. It could get very interesting there.

The LN is actually quite a bit farther ahead from what I understand (I didn't read it so I don't really know). I think the arc its on is significantly longer than GGO was.

cajunator

Banned
I liked watching SAO cause it was obviously just made by a bunch of dudes who'd played WoW and I've played WoW and it was fun to see them making an anime out of dumb MMO tropes.

Then at about episode 15 or 16, it got real weird and made no sense and there was some incest and stuff and they went back into another MMO and why would you ever do that and it was less like WoW and uh.

So I think I stopped at a good place.

yup thats around where I gave up on it too.

Jex

I'm honestly far less passionate about the series than, say, firehawk12 or any of it's detractors over in the Toonami thread or even the people who posted in the main SAO thread back when it was airing in Japan.

I don't hate the show in any capacity or even actively dislike it. The problems with the show's writing are, frankly, fairly common to anime in general. It's not some uniquely awful product that I need erased from existence. It's basically your standard action show with a cool theme, in this case, that of an MMO. I can understand why people like it.

It's just not something I'd ever recommend to someone because I feel that plenty of others shows do what it does, but far better. I can't really say the same about Attack on Titan, even if it's just kind of a reskinned Gantz, because the things that production did really well are extraordinary.

phaze

All this SAO talk makes me feel left out. Maybe I missed out on something really important and a sort of obligatory watch for an anime viewer.

Why not talk about a much better Aniplex Light Novel Anime?

Durarara X2 11

Oh man that was a fun episode. Choatic, exciting and enthralling. Looking forward to watching the last episode.

Angry Grimace

Actually, now that I think about it, SAO would have been vastly improved if they excised the ALO arc by itself.

All this SAO talk makes me feel left out. Maybe I missed out on something really important and a sort of obligatory watch for an anime viewer.

Its not Code Geass or anything, which is patently ridiculous but definitely worth watching (even if to make fun of it). Don't watch SAO if you just want to be involved in something, because SAO is kind of garbagey, and this is coming from someone who has a tendency to like things more than dislike them.

Jarmel

Banned
I think the part about SAO that annoys me the most is that Kajiura wrote music for it.

Why did she accept this shit of a show? If there's anyone in the industry who has the luxury of turning down shows to only work on shows of their choosing, it's Kajiura. Her lack of enthusiasm about SAO as compared to shows like F/Z or even FSN shows. I think Kajiura is more excited about the current FSN, for which she only wrote the EDs, than she was for the two SAO seasons combined.

I dropped the fucking show when Asuna offered her body to whatshisface(?). They suddenly went from barely speaking to happily married with a child who has amnesia or something. Thank god I can't really remember anymore. Please don't bother to help me remember.

Haha her work for SAO was so damn lazy. She reused motifs straight from Fate Zero.

Jex

I just started watching Patlabor. Huh, this is pretty fun. I can see now why people like it, I can see the appeal. I'm on like, the 5th episode now. The only real criticisms I have are that the characters suddenly deform their faces and grow their mouths really large sometimes, and that looks silly. That didn't need to happen. They could've stopped with that whole schtick. And uh, there's that one early episode where the experimental military labor goes haywire and is just blowing away all of the military's elite labors. Yet somehow gets stopped by these two police labors. Really? That's just silly. That wasn't believable in the slightest.

I think the one big worry that I have now, being on the 5th episode, is just... are all of the rest of the episodes just going to revolve around Ohta doing something stupid and being a buffoon, and then having Noa being plucky and resourceful and saving the day? Is that really the pattern they're gonna fall into for the whole show? Cause that'll get old.
I take it you've just decided to watch the TV series and skip the initial OVA?

With regards to the shows format, it doesn't really have a consistent one. It's a very varied series so you don't really have to worry about it becoming too stale in that regard.

As for the characters, they stay mostly the same throughout the series due to it's episodic nature but, due to the different kinds of stories the show tackles, I don't think this is a problem in the slightest.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom