• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2015 |OT| The Disappearance of YEAARRT!

Status
Not open for further replies.

lonely

SAO is soooooo 2013
That's when it aired right?
. In the casual anime crowd all anyone cares about now is Tokyo Ghoul. The number Kaneki and other various character cosplays I saw from that show at a con a few months ago was insane. Its like AquaWateria's wet dream. And I bet that when #i'm at the London Comic Con this weekend it'll be the same story.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
SAO is soooooo 2013
. In the casual anime crowd all anyone cares about now is Tokyo Ghoul. The number Kaneki and other various character cosplays I saw from that show at a con a few months ago was insane. Its like AquaWateria's wet dream. And I bet that when #i'm at the London Comic Con this weekend it'll be the same story.

If you're sick of SAO, you're in for a bad time because as I said, my understanding is that they have plenty more material to adapt.

Jex

SAO is soooooo 2013

Well, if we assume that an anime's popularity can be measured squarely off the number of Linkin Park's "In The End" AMV's created using clips of the anime in question,then it's pretty clear that Toykyo Ghoul is where it's at. Although, to be fair, SAO currently has more "In The End" AMV's on youtube but I assure you, it's just a matter of time.

And really, how else can we measure a work's cultural success than through the creation of AMV's based off of Linkin Park's hit song, "In The End"?

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Well, if we assume that an anime's popularity can be measured squarely off the number of Linkin Park's "In The End" AMV's based on it being uploaded to YouTube, then it's pretty clear that Toykyo Ghoul is where it's at.

And really, how else can we measure a work's cultural success than through the creation of AMV's based off of Linkin Park's hit song, "In The End"?

This is brilliant.

ibyea

Banned
Well, if we assume that an anime's popularity can be measured squarely off the number of Linkin Park's "In The End" AMV's created using clips of the anime in question,then it's pretty clear that Toykyo Ghoul is where it's at. Although, to be fair, SAO currently has more "In The End" AMV's on youtube but I assure you, it's just a matter of time.

XD

SAO is soooooo 2013

Hey hey I only care about the manga because it's actually good, but the anime can burn in ashes due to the butcher of a mess it turned out to be. I mean how can you utterly butcher the characterization of the MC. The Kaneki in the anime is completely different from the Kaneki in the manga.

phaze

I will say it's a must watch, but I can't tell you how to react to it.

It was my first, so I had no biases....

Actually, now that I think about it, SAO would have been vastly improved if they excised the ALO arc by itself.

Its not Code Geass or anything, which is patently ridiculous but definitely worth watching (even if to make fun of it). Don't watch SAO if you just want to be involved in something, because SAO is kind of garbagey, and this is coming from someone who has a tendency to like things more than dislike them.

I think I did watch 1 or 2 episodes and found it dull as dishwasher. And knowing that it apparently gets worse than that with full on harem and hmm other tentacle related things, didn't exactlywant to make me press on. And I have a general aversion to all MMORPG things so that didn't help either.
watch Log horizon.
I lasted like 3 minutes. At least SAO didn't take its MMORPG setting very seriously. :p

SAO is soooooo 2013
tumblr_nhdp9kom4x1tdpvvsil.gif

Understandable, how can you not like sexy mofo like Ken.

lonely

If you're sick of SAO, you're in for a bad time because as I said, my understanding is that they have plenty more material to adapt.

I was cringing at work the other day when I heard a chorus of agreement that SAO was a good show. I'm glad that I'm able to force my friends to watch Log Horizon instead of this trash.

I... I don't have a comeback for this because there's a Gundam game that uses Linkin Park as the openings music and a Linkin Park Gundam kit.

ibyea

Banned
This SAO talk is making me think, man, I am missing out on the authentic AnimeGAF experience by not watching shows I know I would outright despise.

jbug617

Banned
Sentai releases for September

K-On Season 1 Bluray (Dub)
Argevollen Collection 1 DVD/Bluray
My Teen Romantic Comedy Snafu S1 Bluray
Appleseed (Sentai Selects) (Dub)
Patlabor WXIII DVD/Bluray (Dub)
The Comic Artist and his Assistants DVD/Bluray
Hamatora DVD/Bluray (Dub)
Sabagebu! - Survival Game Club! DVD/Bluray
Nobunaga: The Fool Collection 2 DVD/Bluray
Persona 4: The Animation Collectors Edition DVD/Bluray (Dub)

Snafu and Persona 4 are my must have for that month.

Jex

This SAO talk is making me think, man, I am missing out on the authentic AnimeGAF experience by not watching shows I know I would outright despise.

There's a time to engage in such an experience, but I can't really recommend doing if after the fact. There are certain shows, such as Code Geass, which stand the test of time and prove their worth outside of initial shock value. However those are few and far between.

Cornbread78

I think I did watch 1 or 2 episodes and found it dull as dishwasher. And knowing that it apparently gets worse than that with full on harem and hmm other tentacle related things.

The first 15 episodes of Season 1 and they complete first arc of season 2 with Sinon are still pretty good arcs and can be enjoyed.

I donlt know, it's like the Wii. Casuals love SAO, but the hardcore crowd tends to hate it from what I can see, who knows...

Puruzi

Banned
I thought Sinon was alright, but then she did that whole speech about smiling in a video game, got scared of a finger gun, then started fiending for Kirito's dick. Nope.

The other anime I watched recently was season 1 of Aldnoah.Zero.

This show, it uh... it makes no sense. Humans landed on Mars in the 1970s and by 2015 they're a completely different culture and empire and they all hate people on Earth and want to conquer? Duder, that don't make no sense. That's just really whack.

And I was actually digging the show at first, despite that. I read that the producer was inspired by Man of Steel (which is insane and ridiculous, btw) but I got a much stronger sense of BattleTech in the roots of the show, in particular the Clans. If you really looked at it, it feels a lot like the 3049 Clan invasion. The Earth Mechs are all weak and incredibly helpless in the face of the overpowered Martian Aldnoah Mechs, just like how Inner Sphere Mechs were completely outmatched by the Clan OmniMechs in BattleTech. And Slaine, being this captive ward of the Martians, was kinda like Phelan Ward in Clan Wolf. The Martians wanted to conquer Earth because Mars had scarce resources, just like the Clans did in the Kerensky Cluster. And the Martians' use of ancient Aldnoah tech was kinda like how Clan tech was built off of old Star League technology. So... there's quite a lot of similarities there. I thought that was neat.

***SPOILERS past this point***

But you know, the show just doesn't make sense the more you watch. Slaine is constantly beaten over and over again by his adopted Commander dude, which just feels brutal and over the top. So then when he finally finds out the truth and acts compassionately toward Slaine, I was like... dude, no. I still fucking hate you cause you've been beating the crap out of this little guy with your cane for the last 10 episodes. You don't get to be the compassionate father figure now, you fuck. I mean really, the show runners actually thought they could get away with that character turn?

The overall animation is fine. I mean, the CGI is there, and it looks bad, and CGI in anime always tends to look bad and not good, and it's here and it looks bad. But I guess that's kinda the state of anime in 2015. You just gotta accept it. The characters look.... well, really identical. Like, at the end of the first episode, the main character loses a friend who flies off of the back of the truck, and I couldn't tell who was who. They both looked pretty much identical. That's really a problem. And it happens with other characters. Inko and the main character's sister also look identical, except that the sister has slightly longer hair. But in some shots, that's not all that apparent. They just all look the same. It's a problem, man. And also, when the characters are in profile, they all look like they're talking out of the side of their mouths.

The Martians only apparently have 37 Mechs or something. 37 Mechs to conquer an entire planet? I'm sorry, but no matter how overpowered you are, and they certainly are incredibly overpowered... you need way more than 37 units. That's completely insufficient to pacify a whole planet. Not to mention that the Martian Mechs themselves feel more like they were designed to be video game bosses rather than actual coherent military units. In a real military, you'd probably build a whole lot of Mechs with those long range killer lasers (ya know, that Mech in the intro we never actually get to see in any of the episodes). Instead, you've got Mechs like one with an invulnerability field, which is really good, but which is also only armed with... big ol' bear claws. That's right, they invested in an invincible juggernaut Mech who's only offensive ability is to get real close and melee you. And which spends about half an hour chasing after a truck helplessly, because it has no guns at all. Again... they only brought 37 of these things to conquer a planet? When one needs to lumber after a fleeing truck for long stretches of time? Does this make any sense at all? This is video game boss logic.

The aesthetic designs of the Martian Mechs are really terribad too. They uh, they don't seem to make any sense. Like, they legitimately look like they'd bang their giant toe spike up against their knee or their arm against their torso as soon as they actually tried to move. It's ridiculous how loopy they look. The Earth Mechs are... better, but also real generic. They look like the generic Macross-style robots, but with giant over-sized fins attached to their ankles. That's not a real great look. The guns also seem to follow the generic look of other mecha anime, with short bullpup rifles. Muv Luv Alternate had the same looking bullpup rifles. I guess Japanese anime studios like the look of stubby bullpup rifles.

The main character is completely... a robot, I think. He's got nothing there. He's a brilliant genius dude, but he's very unemotional. I didn't care for that at all. The whole being-a-genius thing isn't that bad, after all Ender's Game is one of the best scifi stories ever written, so I can deal with a main protagonist being real smart, but Ender actually had some depth and there were things going on in his psyche and emotions and you felt for him. This main character... no, didn't feel for him at all. Just blank, like a video game avatar or something. And plus, he goes and shoots down Slaine after he helped him out, like a huge asshole. Why would we, as the audience, like this guy after he goes and does a dick thing like that?

Slaine is a whole lot better. I'll say that, I liked Slaine a lot. You felt for Slaine and what he was going through. Well, except for the last couple of episodes, when his character becomes oddly written and does inexplicable things. He finally finds out who the main culprit behind the conspiracy to assassinate the Princess is, but uh, this master villain guy doesn't kill him, but hands him an uber Mech. Why? What is the logic behind this? And then, in the final episode of the season, Slaine goes and saves the villain while they're engaged in a Mech duel. Why? Why would he save this guy who tried to kill the princess who he's in love with? I don't understand any of this. I think I was paying attention... but I don't get it.

So yeah, I don't know if I'll watch the 2nd season. It hooked me in with the BattleTech similarities at the start, but the show really went downhill in a hurry. And visually, the Mech designs stink. I heard somewhere that these show runners wanted this to be a Gundam-killer or something. Well, that ain't happening. The designs of the Martian Mechs look terrible. Giant top heavy torsos on really small legs? That's your idea of good design? I mean, I don't see how that's gonna appeal to otakus who have grown up adoring Gundams, with their giant oversized legs and small arms. That's not a recipe for success. And the Earth Mechs look way too generic to leave any sort of impression.

Happy Birthday cajun.

SAO is definetely on the edge of "so bad its horrible" instead of "so bad its good." (well, maybe more like "sort of watchable if nothing else is on") I think being the first to air with the MMO concept is pretty much was what gave it the level of popularity it got.

Oh god, I just woke up in some nightmarish alternate reality where .hack doesn't exist. How do I get back home?

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Grimace just forgot .hack existed... like everyone else.

SAO is the WoW of MMO anime.

phaze

The other anime I watched recently was season 1 of Aldnoah.Zero.

This show, it uh... it makes no sense. Humans landed on Mars in the 1970s and by 2015 they're a completely different culture and empire and they all hate people on Earth and want to conquer? Duder, that don't make no sense. That's just really whack.

Slaine is a whole lot better. I'll say that, I liked Slaine a lot. You felt for Slaine and what he was going through. Well, except for the last couple of episodes, when his character becomes oddly written and does inexplicable things. He finally finds out who the main culprit behind the conspiracy to assassinate the Princess is, but uh, this master villain guy doesn't kill him, but hands him an uber Mech. Why? What is the logic behind this? And then, in the final episode of the season, Slaine goes and saves the villain while they're engaged in a Mech duel. Why? Why would he save this guy who tried to kill the princess who he's in love with? I don't understand any of this. I think I was paying attention... but I don't get it.

Season 1 is a masterpiece of writing compared to season 2. I really would advise against wasting more of your time with this atrocity, especially if you like Slaine. Who only continues to make more strange choices as the show goes on. The ending is completely unsatisfying and fails to even delve a bit into the origins of Aldnoah and other stuff.

Best Wishes Cajun !

Season 1 is a masterpiece of writing compared to season 2. I really would advise against wasting more of your time with this atrocity, especially if you sort of like Slaine.

Best Wishes Cajun !

Ah, thanks.

Yeah, I'll just skip it. I'm watching Blue Gender now too, which is actually pretty awesome, so I'm in a good place.

Narag

SAO is soooooo 2013

dresden will be pleased.

I thought Sinon was alright, but then she did that whole speech about smiling in a video game, got scared of a finger gun, then started fiending for Kirito's dick. Nope.
^^ agreed And I like females with guns. Besides that the show is trash and couldn't finish the first arc of season 2.

Angry Grimace

Happy Birthday cajun.

Oh god, I just woke up in some nightmarish alternate reality where .hack doesn't exist. How do I get back home?

Yeah, but nobody cares about .hack so that doesn't matter!

muahahaha

No, but they werent' stuck there, I think? In any case, that was kind of ahead of its time. There's a crapload of "stuck in an MMO" things now, especially if you consider arguable stuff like DanMachi. Or even ShieldBro, which doesn't have an anime.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
I can't believe that there was a contest to see who has the most SAO gifs today and I wasn't invited.

Midonin

Long as we're talking about unlicensed anime, I'd love it if someone picked up Umi Monogatari. Pachinko game-based, Junichi Sato-directed magical priestess girls of the sea. The West could always use more heartwarming anime.

Moonlight

Banned
Sound! Euphonium 7

Weather is a very simple, yet effective visual and narrative device this episode. Rain characterizes its' visual identity, washing out the lighting, subduing the colour palette, and accentuating the distinct sobriety to this episode. It's a departure, in more ways than one. Not just from Kumiko's perspective, though in these past couple episodes, she's definitely been getting further from the spotlight, but from a tonal one. An appropriate one, given what it's about. Aoi, not unexpectedly, quits the band, and we spend the rest of the episode seeing that ripple stretch out.

Something that I thought was interesting was how much the episode... wasn't about Aoi, ultimately. She might have been the one to quit, but while I initially expected the episode to be about getting her to fall back in love with band (as I've seen common in a handful of sports shows), the episode spends very little time exaggerating the ambiguity of her feelings (and indeed, it receives a blunt and fairly conclusive denouement towards the end). It's the consequences that matter, and how they affect Kumiko, and more importantly than anyone this episode, Ogasawara. The episode takes pains to point out that she and Aoi aren't so different (besides the pig-tails), particularly in their experiences in the previous year, and how that relates to her insecurities as the club president. It's well-accomplished, particularly for how little we actually knew about Ogasawara up to this point.

And so when she talks with Kaori near the end of the episode, the result is incredibly cathartic, and as a scene, really well executed. While the usage of backgrounds in Euphonium have been somewhat hit and miss thus far, I think this scene exhibited a really strong step-up in that regard. There's a certain intimacy to the space that the two share, and I appreciated the cuts to the well-used sheet music to reinforce Ogasawara's own investment in the band and music in general.

A few other interesting things in the episode, of course. While most of the attention is paid to Ogasawara's conflict, it's fairly clear to see the impact that Aoi's departure has had on Kumiko, too, even if it's not dealt with as explicitly. But more interesting than anything else is how that related to the flashback that Kumiko has in the restaurant, with who I'm strongly suspecting is her sister. We already know something of their relationship, after all, and it's not entirely close. Aoi is another senior to Kumiko, and someone who we know spent a lot of time playing music with her back in the day, and it's easy to imagine how that might impact someone like Kumiko, who remains uncertain of her place in the band.

Finally, I thought it was really nice that, near the end, we're treated to a brief flashback of Aoi and Ogasawara eating together, for Aoi to ask if she was quitting too. We don't see her answer, we just cut back to the present, to her leading the tuning session, and that's that. It's a nice moment of 'show, don't tell'.

This might be my favourite episode of Euphonium thus far. It's going in exciting directions, and while I didn't manage to talk much about it, one of those things is the romance angle between Katou and Shuichi.

Happy birthday cajun

SAO probably would have went on pretty averagely if the second half of season 1 didn't have so many bad plot points. They were so awful that it caused people to look over the earlier half and see its faults. It caused people to turnover from liking it because they refused to like something that had stuff like almost incest, tentacle rape and almost regular rape. SAO's first half doesn't do anything particularly wrong as many other anime do similar things. SAO2's first arc is kind of similar to SAO's 1st half and probably wouldn't have caused much of a backlash if they just skipped that second arc. It would have just went on with a decent sized fanbase regular anime fans would let coexist

Cornbread78

B Gata H Kei ep. 2-6:
Yamada continues to entertain us with her mission to get on Kosuda's junk. So far, it's been a failed mission the entire time. However, it is a very entertaining ride watching her screw it up each time and have no real clue how to have a relationship or express feelings. Kinda funny seeign thsi stuff come out of a girls mouth for once, lol. Poor Kosuda ha s no balls either, so they are a good match. Let the good times roll.

I only watched SAO till the arc where they
got married
where it got boring so I dropped it. I did enjoy the episodes where he was solo though and it was about world building and personal stories.

Narag

why do we keep talking about bad anime like SAO when we could be talking about good anime like...

Gifu Dodou!! Kanetsugu & Keiji

Sound! Euphonium 7:
Takemoto's episode doesn't disappoint, and I think easily establishes itself as the strongest episode of the show to date. Takemoto is an excellent visual storyteller, and those skills are on display throughout the episode. There are a number of great moments where the framing of the characters really helps to tell the story, such as during the scene with Aoi, Haruka and Kumiko in the hallway. The way that Haruka's eyes are completely blocked off for most of that scene really does a great job of building the mood there. Throughout the whole proceedings, we have some really great moments where the characters' expressions are hidden or manipulated in some way by the storyboarding. The downcast weather throughout much of the episode also further highlights this. The direction is really pretty spectacular throughout, and it helps to highlight just how strong the script is as well.

This episode really does a great job of building on some characters who haven't gotten quite as much screen time, particularly Haruka and Kaori. Their conversation near the end of the episode was a great moment, with the direction doing a pretty good job of setting the scene (Haruka standing up off the bed was a particular favorite of mine, but I also liked how the whole scene was blocked with the elevation of the characters), and the dialogue did a great job of showing why both of them had their reactions to what was going on. It was also nice to see Natsuki open up a bit about what happened during the previous year, and we get to see how she's starting to change some over the course of the series. I really enjoyed her explanation to Kumiko and the others. Asuka trying to calm Haruka down was also pretty good, with us getting a chance to see a different side of their relationship.

Aoi's story has been building up for a few episodes in the background, and we finally see where it was leading up to, even if it was something fairly predictable. Notably, the episode doesn't really dwell on it too much, and instead of everyone making Aoi see how much she actually loved the band and help her to come back, she just kind of floats away, and most of the drama is centered around picking up the pieces. I think it was a very sensible decision to focus mostly on how Haruka was effected by this and deal with her crisis, because that gives the situation a bit more weight, and it doesn't trivialize Aoi's decision. It's sad for everyone, but there's not much sense in trying to force her back in, and this way lets us explore a new facet of the characters. It also provides a nice counter point to what happened during the previous year.

It's difficult for a show to balance a cast of this size, but so far I think that Euphonium is doing a pretty admirable job of trying. I'm really enjoying seeing these characters and getting each of their perspectives on what is going on. This was definitely the best episode yet, but I also think it highlights just how strong the show is on an episode to episode basis. Anime of the Season isn't even really a competition at this point.

ibyea

Banned
There's a time to engage in such an experience, but I can't really recommend doing if after the fact. There are certain shows, such as Code Geass, which stand the test of time and prove their worth outside of initial shock value. However those are few and far between.

Yeah, it's too late for SAO. I would just be doing it by myself and get angry without the group fun. ^_^

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom