• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2015 |OT| The Disappearance of YEAARRT!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joe Molotov

vi26Pxa.jpg

Midonin

Mikagura School Suite 07

"Because I wasn't manly enough, or something equally silly."

That's right, making fun of someone over those kinds of things is silly. And backwards. What's not backwards? Throwing a party for that person, even if you have to enlist Eruna to make it happen. She can't spell and her ideas for things to wear to parties are wacko, but she's got a good heart. And Otone is an interesting character with her minor tsundereness. So that's what Seisa's power is? She lives up to her name.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Mikagura Gakuen Kumikyoku Episode 7:

I think we now have our core cast assembled with the formal introduction of Otone here, who seems to be a bit of a schizophrenic all things considered, certainly makes her one of the most interesting of the cast when even Eruna things you are a bit of an oddball. Also, if nothing else we are learning in great detail every single turn on and fetish that Eurna is packing in that head of hers. I am just going to assume that is a very long list that could fill an endless battle shonen length worth of time. Anyway, the real focus here was on Ashui and I suppose that was nice but nothing here made him more interesting then watching paint dry so call it a wash. I suppose that is my biggest problem with this series, the supporting cast is kind of shit.

jgminto

The first 15 episodes of Season 1 and they complete first arc of season 2 with Sinon are still pretty good arcs and can be enjoyed.
SAO was almost instantly garbage. The hilarious attempts at drama matched with Kirito's protagonist invincibility, the absolutely godawful attempt at a romance worse than any teen fiction I've read or watched, watching Kirito and Asuna play house with their digimon and acting nothing like people in a relationship, the nonsense attempt to turn the guy who trapped and killed thousands of people because he wanted to into a sympathetic character that Kirito idolises. It's all shit.

Sound! Euphonium 7:

Takemoto's episode doesn't disappoint, and I think easily establishes itself as the strongest episode of the show to date. Takemoto is an excellent visual storyteller, and those skills are on display throughout the episode. There are a number of great moments where the framing of the characters really helps to tell the story, such as during the scene with Aoi, Haruka and Kumiko in the hallway. The way that Haruka's eyes are completely blocked off for most of that scene really does a great job of building the mood there. Throughout the whole proceedings, we have some really great moments where the characters' expressions are hidden or manipulated in some way by the storyboarding. The downcast weather throughout much of the episode also further highlights this. The direction is really pretty spectacular throughout, and it helps to highlight just how strong the script is as well.

This episode really does a great job of building on some characters who haven't gotten quite as much screen time, particularly Haruka and Kaori. Their conversation near the end of the episode was a great moment, with the direction doing a pretty good job of setting the scene (Haruka standing up off the bed was a particular favorite of mine, but I also liked how the whole scene was blocked with the elevation of the characters), and the dialogue did a great job of showing why both of them had their reactions to what was going on. It was also nice to see Natsuki open up a bit about what happened during the previous year, and we get to see how she's starting to change some over the course of the series. I really enjoyed her explanation to Kumiko and the others. Asuka trying to calm Haruka down was also pretty good, with us getting a chance to see a different side of their relationship.

Aoi's story has been building up for a few episodes in the background, and we finally see where it was leading up to, even if it was something fairly predictable. Notably, the episode doesn't really dwell on it too much, and instead of everyone making Aoi see how much she actually loved the band and help her to come back, she just kind of floats away, and most of the drama is centered around picking up the pieces. I think it was a very sensible decision to focus mostly on how Haruka was effected by this and deal with her crisis, because that gives the situation a bit more weight, and it doesn't trivialize Aoi's decision. It's sad for everyone, but there's not much sense in trying to force her back in, and this way lets us explore a new facet of the characters. It also provides a nice counter point to what happened during the previous year.

It's difficult for a show to balance a cast of this size, but so far I think that Euphonium is doing a pretty admirable job of trying. I'm really enjoying seeing these characters and getting each of their perspectives on what is going on. This was definitely the best episode yet, but I also think it highlights just how strong the show is on an episode to episode basis. Anime of the Season isn't even really a competition at this point.

Kekkai Sensen, Gintama, and Arslan Senki say otherwise :)

Cornbread78

So this is weird, I just went to update my MAL and it says my account has been banned? I just opened it the other day and only made 1 short post in the Plastic Memories thread and 1 in the Fruit of Grisaia thread, neither of which would have a spoiler. Why would they do that? Does anyone know a mod over there to ask? I didn't get a message either... just weird..

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
SAO was almost instantly garbage. The hilarious attempts at drama matched with Kirito's protagonist invincibility, the absolutely godawful attempt at a romance worse than any teen fiction I've read or watched, watching Kirito and Asuna play house with their digimon and acting nothing like people in a relationship, the nonsense attempt to turn the guy who trapped and killed thousands of people because he wanted to into a sympathetic character that Kirito idolises. It's all shit.

The idea of coping with being stuck in an MMO is one of things that was handled in a completely absurd way in SAO. You can't be a super-fucking-hero in an MMO. That's the point of an MMO.

At least Log Horizon attempted to actually address the realities of living in an MMO and how people cope with it. (By taking a kitty husband)

jgminto

The idea of coping with being stuck in an MMO is one of things that was handled in a completely absurd way in SAO. You can't be a super-fucking-hero in an MMO. That's the point of an MMO.

At least Log Horizon attempted to actually address the realities of living in an MMO and how people cope with it. (By taking a kitty husband)

I think I read that the author of SAO never actually played an MMO.

Cornbread78

Maybe I'm wrong here, but wasn't Kirito chosen to be as strong as he was from his beta experience and was granted the duel wield as confirmation of that later on? He OP'd himself as a loner and knowing the mechanics of Aincrad more than anyone.

Also, Log Horizon did do a much better job with the life with an MMO, which reflects the difference in focus between the two different animes. If they merged the two stories types it would be near perfect, however, they are separate. .

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
SAO probably gets hated on too much, but it's not good. It has merits, mostly what dimb said in the talented animators and that it looks pretty

It gets hated on just the right amount. Its several levels down from, say, F/SN which gets hated on about equally despite being demonstrably better than SAO in every appreciable way.

Come at me bros

Maybe I'm wrong here, but wasn't Kirito chosen to be as strong as he was from his beta experience and was granted the duel wield as confirmation of that later on? He OP'd himself as a loner and knowing the mechanics of Aincrad more than anyone.

Also, Log Horizon did do a much better job with the life with an MMO, which reflects the difference in focus between the two different animes. If they merged the two stories types it would be near perfect, however, they are separate. .

The story of SAO is basically entirely about Kirito da God and his gigantic harem of hot chicks (who coincidentally look exactly like their idealized computer game avatars) lusting after his dick. An MMO story needs an ensemble cast almost by definition.

Euphonium is good but I'm meh on the Yuri pandering, plus I'm not into band as others are.

I can't say that anything in Euphonium has even remotely struck me as "pandering". Yeah, it features a largely female cast who interact with one another, but there's not anything that I would call pandering. The closest I could see anyone even coming to that would be the Kumiko/Kousaka stuff, but that's more just shown as Kumiko being really awkward around her, and not really presented in any sort of "yuri" way. Most of the character relationships are presented in a pretty down to earth way, as opposed to your yuri pandering shows which generally go out of their way to constantly be putting characters into yuri situations, fill the scenes with pandering imagery and double meanings, and really play everything up.

If Euphonium is "yuri pandering", then every series that has ever had two female students interact with one another is yuri pandering.

cajunator

Banned
I think I did watch 1 or 2 episodes and found it dull as dishwasher. And knowing that it apparently gets worse than that with full on harem and hmm other tentacle related things, didn't exactlywant to make me press on. And I have a general aversion to all MMORPG things so that didn't help either.

I lasted like 3 minutes. At least SAO didn't take its MMORPG setting very seriously. :p

tumblr_nhdp9kom4x1tdpvvsil.gif

Understandable, how can you not like sexy mofo like Ken.

SAO does take its MMORPG setting very seriously. At first it does anyway. Both shows start much the same way but then go wildly different directions.

Sentai releases for September

K-On Season 1 Bluray (Dub)
Argevollen Collection 1 DVD/Bluray
My Teen Romantic Comedy Snafu S1 Bluray
Appleseed (Sentai Selects) (Dub)
Patlabor WXIII DVD/Bluray (Dub)
The Comic Artist and his Assistants DVD/Bluray
Hamatora DVD/Bluray (Dub)
Sabagebu! - Survival Game Club! DVD/Bluray
Nobunaga: The Fool Collection 2 DVD/Bluray
Persona 4: The Animation Collectors Edition DVD/Bluray (Dub)

Snafu and Persona 4 are my must have for that month.

SNAFU - SOLD. Been waiting for bluray and passed on DVD. another great decision!
Sabagebu I dont even have to say lol. So happy.

The first 15 episodes of Season 1 and they complete first arc of season 2 with Sinon are still pretty good arcs and can be enjoyed.

I donlt know, it's like the Wii. Casuals love SAO, but the hardcore crowd tends to hate it from what I can see, who knows...

Yeah basically SAO part 1 and SAO2 are watchable for me, so its like one half of a good show and should have stopped there. Instead it pushed further into squicky territory and just got horrible. There is no reason for awful characters like Suguha, Leafa, the rapey antagonist, or for Kirito to be so untouchable and flawless. these things arent fun. They ruin the experience.

Angry Grimace

Sometimes, I'm glad the shows I really like aren't popular so I don't need to see people tear it apart as badly as SAO.

Tear apart shows those people like; feels good man.

No seriously, I think a lot of the underground shows that are popular on GAF/fora in general are actually pretty boring.

So this is weird, I just went to update my MAL and it says my account has been banned? I just opened it the other day and only made 1 short post in the Plastic Memories thread and 1 in the Fruit of Grisaia thread, neither of which would have a spoiler. Why would they do that? Does anyone know a mod over there to ask? I didn't get a message either... just weird..

They've been hacked (again) and lots of people got fake ban messages.

Jex

The Vision of Escaflowne (1996, Sunrise) – Episodes 1 to 14

Love triangles, amazing artwork, hot* guys, fantastical locations, robot-knights, great action scenes, cat girls and awesome music.

When I say “Escaflowne” those are probably some of the ideas that spring to your mind (not necessarily in that order). If I told you an anime contained all of the above elements then you’d probably conclude that the end result would be a pretty fun show. And you wouldn’t be wrong. Escaflowne, taken purely as a piece of gloriously indulgent escapist entertainment, is an entertaining series composed of lots of really cool elements.

Unfortunately, the underlying story that weaves all these pieces together into a coherent story just doesn’t work. In other words, the script it a mess and this undermines everything which is built ontop of that script.

Now, I don’t want to sit around and pick this show to pieces. Nitpicking for the sake of nitpicking can be a very tiresome exercise which often fails to illuminate anything important. You can quite easily miss the forest for the trees if you go down that route. I’m honestly not too fussed about the small stuff when there are so many bigger issues which I feel that writers completely bungle.

Overall Story (Episodes 1 – 14)

So I’m roughly half way through this series and I can honestly say I have no idea what is going on or why. I don’t really know who the protagonist of the story is. I don’t know what the stakes are. I have no idea why characters are doing what they’re doing or why they’re going where they are going.

Don’t get me wrong, I know there are bad guys and good guys in the story. The bag guys are bad because they use flamethrowers on civilians, just like in Vietnam. The good guys are good because they’re potential romantic interests for Hitomi, the protagonist. This much is clear. I’m just not clear on how any of these elements work together, on a mechanical level, to create a narrative.

This isn’t a joke. I’m honestly trying to sum up the plot of the 1st half of the series and it’s really difficult. I can tell you that we meet a bunch of characters and I can tell you that the characters visit a lot of locations, but I can’t honestly explain why they’re doing what they’re doing or what their plans are. I vaguely understand what the bad guys are up to, but I don’t really care because I feel like the stakes have been poorly developed.
Still, I promised to stay away from focusing on minor details so I’m just going to move onto my next major issue with the show.

Hitomi, our ostensible protagonist

Hitomi is a normal highschool girl who gets transplanted to a fantasy land where she gets caught up in this war thing between the evil Zaibach Empire and some other people. But who is Hitomi? What are her hopes and dreams? What defines her character? What are her flaws?

I don’t know the answers to any of those questions and that’s one my biggest problems with the series as a whole. For a protagonist, she’s extremely bland and poorly defined. I can’t describe her personality because she doesn’t have one.

What do we know about Hitomi? Well let’s examine how she’s introduced in the first episode:

- Athletic. Note how this isn’t a character trait, it’s just a skill that she has.
- In love with the captain of her Track Team, but she’s too shy to tell him her feelings. Well, now we’re starting to get a character with a goal that needs to be achieved but who can’t achieve it because she isn’t brave enough. Great! Maybe she’ll go on some kind of magical adventure and along the way develop and grow as a person to the point where she can come right out and express her feelings!
- Or not. Surprisingly, for a shoujo protagonist, she actually musters the courage to confess to her crush minutes after we learn that she even has a crush. Which neatly completes this very brief arc for Hitomi. Unfortunately, as a character, that’s basically all we learn about her within this episode. Which basically leaves her a blank slate for the rest of the show. Whoops.
- To be fair, we also learn that she has some ability to predict the future. Again, not a character trait, just a skill.

It doesn’t really get any better for Hitomi’s character. From the end of the first episode Hitomi witnesses a man fight a dragon and is then transported into a magical world. You’d normally expect a human being to have some reaction to these events. You know:

- Disbelief
- Fear
- Curiosity
- Excitement

How does Hitomi react? She doesn’t. She doesn’t react like a human being. She doesn’t ask anyone questions about the new world she’s in, or how she got there or why. She doesn’t freak out, either about being in another world, or to the fact that another world exists, or that it’s populated with talking giant animals*. She doesn’t wonder how she’ll get home. She doesn’t even bring it up – one of the other characters makes an offhand remark about getting her home, eventually, but it’s literally just a line with no further explanation given. We see a brief scene of her daydreaming about her love interest but that’s it.

Now, I’m not saying I want to see scene after scene of Hitomi freaking out about the magical world with tons of characters dropping exposition all over the place – but you need to address the issue. In what normal “Characters gets sucked to another world” story do you see a character apparently not care that they got sucked to another world? It takes about 8 episodes for Hitomi to even briefly discuss the fact that she’s away from home.

There are other problems with Hitomi, too. Apart from being a bland protagonist she also does very little to actually drive the story forward in any meaningful way. This is because she has no goals. You might think that her goal is to get home but she barely even mentions it and she never takes any steps to help her achieve that objective. At heart, Hitomi is a reactionary character. She reacts to things other people do. She reacts to her visions of the future. She has no agency.

I can see someone saying, “But Hitomi is clearly an important character! How often has she saved Van’s life? Or used her powers to find and rescues Van? Or used her powers to work out how to help Van?” The problem here, is that Hitomi exists largely as a tool that lets other characters achieve their goals.

You’ll remember earlier that I said Hitomi is athletic and that she has the ability to predict the future? She largely uses these two powers not to further any goal of her own, but to keep Van from getting horribly killed. This reduces her to less of a person and more of a tool because all she does with her powers is let other characters keep living so that they can have their own stories. Because Van is saved by Hitomi, Van can continue on his story which, presumably, is to get revenge for his people. If Van was less useless, or had some kind of newtype-esque power, Hitomi would serve literally no purpose in the story but to tag along with the gang.

I could go on and on (and on), but hopefully you get the picture. There are serious, fundamental problems with the core elements of the story. I haven’t even had time to get to any of the other characters, or the dialogue itself. It’s a deeply flawed show.

*Several episodes later Hitomi is freaked out by giant talking animals when she goes to visit a market. However this doesn’t make any sense because she already saw them in the second episode. And why is this the ONE thing that freaks her out? She’s been hanging out with a cat girl for ages!

Rainy

Banned
Hibike! Euphonium 7

So much blushing! Good episode though, I liked this one a lot. That last scene hah.

As for AOTS? I'd probably take SNAFU S2 but this is pretty good too.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Yahari SNAFU S2 - 07:

It's gonna suck when this show inevitably devolves into a harem (granted it can be argued it already has), but I like how the show currently has interesting characters and stories that don't revolve around dressing up as maids and shit.

Angry Grimace

Yahari SNAFU S2 - 07:

It's gonna suck when this show inevitably devolves into a harem (granted it can be argued it already has), but I like how the show currently has interesting characters and stories that don't revolve around dressing up as maids and shit.

They dressed up as maids in episode 5 of Season 1, there was a mostly meaningless and random swimsuit/beach episode in Episode ~8 and Yui's attempted to ask Hachiman out in a roundabout way like 4 times already.

(lol I don't really think its a harem)

Man the publisher of Etotama's Blu-rays completely fucked up and have killed any chance of there being a second season. It already released it's Vol 2 BR, it sold 586 units the first week which is slightly better then Vol 1 which 494. Difference being they had the 'smart' idea of releasing Vol 1 before the 2nd episode even aired....and no the anime hasn't done anything for the manga sales wise.

Hibike! 07
r3MCW0t.jpg

This is one cozy looking bedroom, I want it

I didn't really care about the whole "last year" conflict so it's good that that's finally out of the way.

I'm really hyped for next episode if it's gonna involve Hazuki's love story though.

jbug617

Banned
They dressed up as maids in episode 5 of Season 1, there was a mostly meaningless and random swimsuit/beach episode in Episode ~8 and Yui's attempted to ask Hachiman out in a roundabout way like 4 times already.

the OVA is the best episode. Waifu contest.

Not what I had in mind, but sure.

I would add Prison School, Monster Musume, and Jitsu wa Watashi wa but chances are they might turn out mediocre due to bad management. Plus considering they are ecchi, if the execution/direction is terrible then all hope is lost.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to

I had completely forgotten about that. *bangs head against desk*

I was only deluding myself...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom