• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2015 |OT| The Disappearance of YEAARRT!

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's pretty much exactly how I see it. It's not really a major issue but nevertheless detracting as it not only feels out of place but...especially unnecessary because the strong characterization of many characters doesn't require any of this. And 'ultimatemegax' who read the novel(s?) mentioned several times that all this is pretty much exclusive to this anime adaption which would explain why that aspect appears poorly integrated/inserted.

I'm beginning the third novel. There's definitely a fair amount of subtext between Kumiko and Reina that's carried over, though more amplified at this point in the story. (One part that I enjoy in the second novel that won't be animated is how they agree to meet early to practice together and so they ride the Keihan train together at 6 AM.)

My main complaint revolves around Asuka, who's pretty much most similar to her novel counterpart in the latest episode. The goofy, comedic character in episodes 1-5 is a stark contrast to her more music-focused self in the novel and is one of the big representations of what Ishihara/Hanada do with characters. She's definitely more complex in the novel, but most characters are like that.

I've only got a couple of comments and something pretty much no one here or in Eng will know about regarding today's episode, so I might as well mention them.

I saw somewhere, maybe elsewhere, where a poster commented about how Yuko spoke poorly about Reina and they interpreted it as Yuko being a bad uppserclassman. That's not the case at all. Reina is auditioning for the solo trumpet part, which would typically go to Kaori if based on seniority. Yuko is a huge fan of Kaori (shown by trying to walk home together twice in this episode) and so she badmouths Reina based on that alone. Additionally, she and Natsuki are pretty much enemies. They do not get along well at all (and I don't recall the reason for that being mentioned in the two novels).

Additionally, I'm glad we finally got to see Haruka's self-doubt. Asuka is easily the most talented of the third year class, but she doesn't have the people skills to manage the band as the president. Haruka is fully capable of bringing everyone together, but because she's not the most talented, she doubts herself and has that "I'm only doing this because Asuka didn't want to" negative vibe around her. Kaori's comments help bring her back and help boost her confidence in herself. She doesn't have to be the most talented; she just has to be the best president and player she can be.

Finally, here's something that I just discovered today. Aoi mentioned earlier and in today's episode how she failed the entrance exam to her first choice of high schools. Up until that point, Aoi had been known as a genius. She was highly intelligent and believed that in herself. Once she didn't pass that exam, she started to have doubts and didn't try her best for fear of failure. That's why she didn't want to take the band so seriously in the previous year. This is from one of the 10 shorts Takeda wrote and was published on the novel's website and will be included in the fourth (and probably final) volume of the novels released on Sunday.

I think now you all can see why I love the novels: Takeda packs so much into the story for each character. Novel 2 expanded a lot on Natsuki and Taki where you as a reader go "I want to know about them!" Each character feels like they could truly star in their own story and yet Kumiko herself never feels out of place as your focal point. I truly wish they were in English so I could shout "READ THEM!"

Another example would be Kekkai Sensen which has the best storyboarding and soundtrack this season but BONES didn't give Matsumoto any money for character animation. Yes there is Nakamura and Bahi's cuts but there are way too many stills and sequences like the underground fight club were woefully animated for what could have been a sakuga showcase. This is really surprising as BONES is almost never this bad in this front. There's also stuff like the sound mixing but that might be more on Matsumoto.

As for Bones not putting much money for character animation isn't really too surprising. The reason I say this is due to the fact that Bones probably didn't think this series would do as well as it's doing currently. I mean Kekkai Sensen doesn't have the same appeal as the usual norm of anime, plus it's highly western influenced. Like look at Baccano which was western influenced as well and ended up not selling that well. That's why I believe they added anime original content to play it safe so that if the series bombed they would end it with the anime original content.

Though since its predicted to sell a good amount of BD and the manga is getting a boost, having a season 2 is more than likely. Plus if it happens they will probably increase the budget.

Midonin

Tsukikage Ran 07-10

Science and religion. Tragedy and comedy. All interesting stories in their own right.

Hiraga Gennai seems to be the Japanese Ben Franklin, and "Genkai" in the science episode was clearly based on him. Fun story, and it does give a rough idea as to the time frame this story is taking place in. The episode with the religious cult that was secretly a money laundering scheme was not really creepy, but it did feature some pretty intense stakes compared to past episodes, with Ran being more of a hero than a passerby with her running into a burning building. Meow does seem like the kind of person who'd be duped into a cult.

Ran and Meow haven't had much in the way of backstory. We have a rough idea of their personalities - Ran likes sake and considers herself a wanderer, Meow is an egotistic but well-meaning idiot - but then we find out her backstory with Mei....
who's become a drug dealer and dies in Meow's arms
. The episodic nature of the show means Meow is back to normal by the next episode, but as a one-off? I wasn't expecting this level of tragedy. Samurai dramas aren't all friendship and good vibes, but damn.

Which is why I chased it down with episode 10 in order to not make my last episode of the day a tragedy. Steph is one of the goofier takes on a foreigner I've seen in anime, being the size and strength of Lou Ferrigno, and thinking Japan consists of "ninjas, samurai and geisha." Ran turning into a dork over the elephants is a comedic side of her we haven't really seen until now.

It's a really easy show to watch, and I'm enjoying it thus far.

Sometime I look at bad shows like Gintama and think "The people that watch this show will never call it bad because they've been watching it so long. They have too much stock in it now no matter how unwatchable it gets."

Kinda like people who watch One Piece will never call it a bad show because that would be them admitting they spent the past ten plus years of their lives watching a bad show.

If band in Japan is anything like it is in the US, then it's a breeding ground for sexual experimentation. The main difference is Euphonium is far more tasteful than reality.

Sometime I look at bad shows like Gintama and think "The people that watch this show will never call it bad because they've been watching it so long. They have too much stock in it now no matter how unwatchable it gets."

Kinda like people who watch One Piece will never call it a bad show because that would be them admitting they spent the past ten plus years of their lives watching a bad show.

Oh dear...

0eazs.gif

Your joking right? I mean you don't actually believe that.

Calling Gintama bad, whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat!😒 You just opened a can of worms friend.

Puruzi

Banned

SHOTS
I don't care about Gintama, never watched it and I probably won't ever.

I still need to continue Gintama beyond episode 30 (I think) but bad? Come on!

If you're going to call a show like TTGL, Gintama, Jojo (still need to finish part 2), Madoka Magica, or G Gundam bad, you better back it up with some serious evidence.

If you're going to call a show like TTGL, Gintama, Jojo (still need to finish part 2), Madoka Magica, or G Gundam bad, you better back it up with some serious evidence.
Madoka is the only one of those shows I like.

Jarmel

Banned
As for Bones not putting much money for character animation isn't really too surprising. The reason I say this is due to the fact that Bones probably didn't think this series would do as well as it's doing currently. I mean Kekkai Sensen doesn't have the same appeal as the usual norm of anime, plus it's highly western influenced. Like look at Baccano which was western influenced as well and ended up not selling that well. That's why I believe they added anime original content to play it safe so that if the series bombed they would end it with the anime original content.

Though since its predicted to sell a good amount of BD and the manga is getting a boost, having a season 2 is more than likely. Plus if it happens they will probably increase the budget.

Yea I understand the reasons why. However season 2 potential doesn't make up for S1's shortcomings. Captain Earth was another show that somebody at BONES skimped out on budget/time-wise. However going by Studio A's efforts with Noragami, BONES can do better.

We'll see whether Nakamura goes ham again in the finale though.

That said, I have been very impressed with the anime original material. This is astounding considering how bad BONES usually is but it seems going out of the box is paying off for them.

Puruzi

Banned

I only like TTGL and Madoka out of those. I don't care about the others and I actively dislike Jojo.

I like them all to varying degrees but Madoka is also the weakest of those
I'd say Gintama is easily the weakest. I find nothing about Gintama amusing or entertaining in the slightest.

TTGL suffers from the fact I have a deep seeded hate of super powered robots and power of friendship bullshit. Not to mention all the character in the show were immensely idiotic and the only one that curried any favor with me was Rossiu

G Gundam is fine if you view it as a comedy I suppose.

And Jojo is just bad. I actively detest Jojo with a passion.

Yea I understand the reasons why. However season 2 potential doesn't make up for S1's shortcomings. Captain Earth was another show that somebody at BONES skimped out on budget/time-wise. However going by Studio A's efforts with Noragami, BONES can do better.

We'll see whether Nakamura goes ham again in the finale though.

That said, I have been very impressed with the anime original material. This is astounding considering how bad BONES usually is but it seems going out of the box is paying off for them.

Yeah it seems he mostly does Live-Action series which is why the script isn't the usual crap. If I'm not mistaken he also did the script for the Live-Action adaption of Liar Game.

Also going by the preview for the next episode it should definitely have good amounts of action.

Yeah Z's Longest Day should be really good, plus the stakes should be high with there being a villain.

Link Man

Banned

So, like Cleveland Browns fans?

I like them all to varying degrees but Madoka is also the weakest of those

I still need to finish Jojo and Gintama, and while Madoka is one of my all-time favourites...I sorta have to agree.

Manly characters being awesome > magical girl despair.

I'd say Gintama is easily the weakest. I find nothing about Gintama amusing or entertaining in the slightest.

TTGL suffers from the fact I have a deep seeded hate of super powered robots and power of friendship bullshit. Not to mention all the character in the show were immensely idiotic and the only one that curried any favor with me was Rossiu

2sOw7GL.jpg

I have watched 100+ episodes of YuGiOh ZeXal and I have absolutely no hesitations in calling it terrible.

Jarmel

Banned
I'm not exactly fond of JoJo right now due to the godawful pacing. Like how many episodes has Dio been reading a damn book?

You have no sense of humor.😌

Crocodile

I think refusing to watch an anime because the artstyle is offensively ugly to you is a very valid reason not to watch it.

I only like TTGL and Madoka out of those. I don't care about the others and I actively dislike Jojo.

shaking_head_breaking_bad.gif

I guess the Super Robot thing is just personal preference but how can a man hate hype incarnate? :(

I'm not exactly fond of JoJo right now due to the godawful pacing. Like how many episodes has Dio been reading a damn book?

Vanilla Ice has been great so far. The middle of Terrence D'Arby dragged but the start and end were great. Petshop was great. Hol Horse Round 2 sucked. Daniel D'Arby was good. Set sucked. Bastet was great. Anubis was fine. Oingo & Boingo was great. N'doul was good. Most of Egypt has been paced fine as far as I can tell

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Should I go with Overture to a New War instead of the first two episodes when introducing someone to the LotGH franchise? My only concern is their disappointment when everything looks like shite from episode 3 onwards.

Puruzi

Banned
This thread is alright. It's okay for people to have wrong opinions, like actually thinking Jojo is good
kappa
but seriously I hate Jojo

Should I go with Overture to a New War instead of the first two episodes when introducing someone to the LotGH franchise? My only concern is their disappointment when everything looks like shite from episode 3 onwards.

Yes, Overture should definitely be watched instead of the first two. As for the drop in quality, just need to deal with it. And it's not nearly that bad.

They would have to deal with the drop in quality anyway if they start with My Conquest Is the Sea of Stars.

I guess the Super Robot thing is just personal preference but how can a man hate hype incarnate? :(
All that yelling and screaming did absolutely nothing for me. One thing about me is that I tend to favor mecha shows where the characters are showing impressive technical skill and control with the mechs rather than summoning some mystical power/energy to make themselves and the mech stronger when things get tough.

Jarmel

Banned
I understand that. Feels like we've had this conversation a lot so i know other people's feelings

hahaha

We have, I'm just repeating it for other parties. I understand the perspective from a purist or long-term fan, in that you want everything in there, but I don't think it works from a newcomer's point of view.

hahaha

We have, I'm just repeating it for other parties. I understand the perspective from a purist or long-term fan, in that you want everything in there, but I don't think it works from a newcomer's point of view.

Depends on the person I think. From what I've noticed, Part 3 is pretty obviously less liked then 2 in the West.

I really don't mind Monster of the Week, especially in JoJo where each encounter feels different. But I've said it so many times now it's old hat - Araki only really started mastering it in Part 4. The D'arby fights, Vanilla Ice and Pet Shop were where he started to turn around though

Yeah, I guess. Overture does look better. But I mean, no matter which way you start, it's slow going for the first 12 episodes. I don't think the series really grabs a new viewer until the Iserlohn Operation.

Jarmel

Banned
Depends on the person I think. From what I've noticed, Part 3 is pretty obviously less liked then 2 in the West.

I really don't mind Monster of the Week, especially in JoJo where each encounter feels different. But I've said it so many times now it's old hat - Araki only really started mastering it in Part 4. The D'arby fights, Vanilla Ice and Pet Shop were where he started to turn around though

I will definitely agree he's getting better and the ones you selected have been the highlight of both cours.

sonicmj1

The other anime I watched recently was season 1 of Aldnoah.Zero.

So yeah, I don't know if I'll watch the 2nd season. It hooked me in with the BattleTech similarities at the start, but the show really went downhill in a hurry. And visually, the Mech designs stink. I heard somewhere that these show runners wanted this to be a Gundam-killer or something. Well, that ain't happening. The designs of the Martian Mechs look terrible. Giant top heavy torsos on really small legs? That's your idea of good design? I mean, I don't see how that's gonna appeal to otakus who have grown up adoring Gundams, with their giant oversized legs and small arms. That's not a recipe for success. And the Earth Mechs look way too generic to leave any sort of impression.

Season 2 is pointless. Any ending you can imagine will be more emotionally satisfying than what you will get from watching it. Don't waste your time.

PK Gaming

I'm beginning the third novel. There's definitely a fair amount of subtext between Kumiko and Reina that's carried over, though more amplified at this point in the story. (One part that I enjoy in the second novel that won't be animated is how they agree to meet early to practice together and so they ride the Keihan train together at 6 AM.)

Possible Euphonium novel spoilers, if you want nothing to do with spoilers avoid this post like the plague

That's interesting, and contrary to what I've heard from a (dubious) source on the internet. All this time, I've been under the impression that there was subtext between Kumiko and Shuuichi in the source material, and that it was somehow altered changed in the anime. To hear that there was there was a basis for that sort of subtext in the source material definitely makes me happy. Not because i'm into that sort of thing, but because the integrity of the relationship between Kumiko and Reina has remained intact

Ojamajo Doremi 9:
This was a nice episode for tugging on the heartstrings a little bit. Doremi makes some mistakes, and she treats Dodo poorly a bit, but then she has to make up for it. It's a tough position for a kid her age to be in, and she's essentially having to learn how to take care of and raise a newborn fairy. Although it isn't easy, she learns a valuable lesson by the end of it.

The show also continues to delight on the visual front, with some more strong facial expressions and backgrounds. This episode also has some nice visual gags which work quite well. The characters continue to be very enjoyable to watch, and each episode of this show has been truly enjoyable. It's just the characters going about their lives and learning to use magic, but it's written extremely well, and there's a lot of love being put into the production.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom