• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2015 |OT| The Disappearance of YEAARRT!

Status
Not open for further replies.

phaze

Prison School is probably gonna be a one cour. I bet it's gonna end right after
the guys get out of prison
, which is kinda early in the manga but it has a ton of material for them to cover. Unless they breeze through everything as quickly as possible.

There's a few. Only one you need is Iroha though. Yui is alright too. Yukino... Eh.

One cour for like 70 chapters would be a disaster.

Considering the anime for Prison School may not reach the point where the manga is really great, it's gonna be a bit underwhelming. I mean the beginning was pretty average and not that great till it found that turning point. Plus the art is one of the biggest reasons as to why Prison School is so great, but if the anime is full of quality then yeah it's screwed.

If the execution for the comedy is mediocre, then all you will get is an ecchi mess of an adaption.
I actually really liked the first arc, it's for most of the time on par with what comes after for me. And if they are forced to censor vicepres, it will only get better!

Ore Monogatari!! 07

xYKH7qU.jpg

A show about big burly dudes wrestling each other is the sweetest thing this season

how are they bad?

OniAi is one of those "Watch it for the girls" shows when like none of them are really that good.

Blond girl might be the only exception.

Did at least contribute with the winking and screaming externally gifs.

Love Chocolate isn't necessarily a bad show.

But it's one of those shows where it doesn't really have a standout moment and becomes just another anime that can be easily forgotten about along with numerous other VN adaptions.

Sterok

Pleiades 7

And now they're flying around the sun. That is some sweet magic to be able to withstand that heat. Timeline shenanigans strike again. Minato is still super mysterious guy. Next time, we finally get some Nanako development.

Midonin

Triage X 07

Makes as much sense as GUILT.

Wish Upon the Pleiades 07

I'm loving the space travel aspect of this show. All these different planets and stellar bodies - including the Sun - becoming quest locations, gives this show a grander scale than a magical girl show which would restrain itself to a city. The energy of the flying sequences, too, all capped off with that parallel worlds plot device coming into play as Aoi and Subaru are able to both hold onto their memories. Such a pleasant little show.

Tsukikage Ran 11-13

Who is Tsukikage Ran? We know she has a former lover and mentor who taught her how to drink and use her sword, but there are no flashbacks and very few words spoken between them. She's not very forthcoming with her past... and perhaps she doesn't need to be. Like many wandering heroes in mythologies all over the world, Ran is whoever the people of the town she's staying in need her to be, and as long as she's compensated with a bit of a drink, all is good. The revenge episode was another really heroic showing for her, and the episode with Meow's "crossifixion" gave her a chance to be a hero as well, even if she ended up getting herself into even more trouble.

I'm sure stories about samurai have been told since samurai existed, and this somewhat modern take, with two girls in the lead and its easygoing nature, is one of the most relaxing series I've seen that also has a fight in every episode. The structure establishes itself in the first episode and goes through variations from that point on, but it feels like a world well lived in. That's the strength of these travelogue shows. It's an obscure one, but I'm glad I tried it out. I always like finding curios.

For my next backlog show, an obscure detective series that I wouldn't even be aware of if not for character songs.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
This is correct. Only 1 character is even interested in Hiki and she hasn't even told him yet, so don't listen to those that say there is a harem here, lol. He is a true loner. .

Its not a Tenchi-harem where there's 6 girls actively lusting after him, but its still about a loner who coincidentally hangs out with the hottest girls in the entire school.

But of course, this isn't even that unrealistic given the scenario: Hachiman is basically the only person in the entire school who is capable or willing to do anything about anything. (I mean, the entire school being full of teenagers who avoid drama is already unrealistic, of course)

Jex

Ah, gotcha.

Well, I still stand by my statement. 08th MS Team is the best Gundam series/OVA/DC direct to DVD animated film.
0080 disagrees.
Not in a world where 0080 exists. That's so good that it's not fair to the rest of Gundam.
While I agree with your disagreement, I'd just like to say that there should be enough room in your heart for both 08th MS Team and 0080: War in the Pocket.

javac

City Hunter 1 Review (TV Series, 51 Episodes, 1987)
City Hunter is a fantastic, hilarious, heartfelt show that not only hits all of the right notes; but it does so with flying colors and keeps its audience fully entertained from start to end as it twists and turns through some of the most hilarious and yet emotional scenarios in a show of this fashion to ever grace the medium. From the absolutely fantastic character designs by the man, the myth and the legend Tsukasa Hojo, to the gorgeous Soundtrack, City Hunter does everything within its power to make each and every episode memorable and each and every character lovable. You’ll laugh and you’ll most definitely shed some tears as you follow these characters throughout 51 impeccable episodes.

Animated by Studio Sunrise, released all the way back in April 1987 and directed by Kenji Kodama, director of Detective Conan Case Closed, each episode follows an episodic format with each of these episodes trailing a very similar story beat. The main character, the lovable Ryou Saeba is what’s known as a sweeper (the type without a broom), a private eye and a man who knows his way around a gun, namely his trusty Colt Python, a .357 Magnum revolver. When people have a problem; they come to this guy in order to get them sorted out. From people who want to get rid of old habits to people whom have old habits chasing them as their pasts catch up to them (from the Yakuza and all sorts of other nasty people), anything is game for the impressionable Ryou…as long as that person happens to be a beautiful lady! Exceptions are made, and he’ll certainly help out a man in need, but a pretty girl has to be in the equation somewhere down the line in order to gain his attention and his heart. Ryou may come across as pervy, often being called a sexual manic, and these scenes are certainly hilarious, but without a doubt his heart is in the right place and this is one of the key elements in making City Hunter above and beyond any other show that’s cut from the same cloth. The show not only has tact, it has heart.

Hey Mr. Private Eye
Oh help me with my private life
Where oh where can he be
Find that man for me

Oh hey Mr. Private Eye
I keep rememberin' our private nights
You gotta bring back my love to me

The lyrics above from one of my favorite songs from the soundtrack (Mr Private Eye) really drive home the relationship between Ryou and his clients. He’s a man who helps people find their lost love, a person who helps people love themselves again, mends their hearts and helps them to move on, forward to the next day, selflessly as he teaches them to love again. Ryou is a person who throws himself in the line of fire in order to help others, people who he often doesn’t even know. It’s a job to him, and it pays well, but it’s clear that the sentiment is what drives Saeba, the smiles on the faces of his clients is what pushes him forward and makes each and every day worth it to him. This along with many other personality traits are what make Ryou a character whom you root for, who you want to see succeed and one day find his own true mokkori love. He’s handsome (thanks to the amazing designs by Tsukasa Hojo) and that adds to the charm and endearment you share towards him as he goofs around like the lovable oaf that he is. Make no mistake, like another one of my favorite characters in anime, Gotou from Patlabor, his goofiness is often a front to hide his more serious side, a pissed off Ryou is somebody you don’t want to be in the crosshairs of. Saeba is sharp as a pin and skilled in all walks of life, well outside of getting in bed with a girl I guess! The best marksman in the world, shooting off the belt buckle of a man a kilometer away is just another day on the job for Ryou, so you know when somebody walks from a fire fight against him alive that he let them live. This actually adds a lot to his character, as you see him first hand giving people chances to redeem themselves. In fact, just the mere utterance of his name sends shivers down the spines of criminals, people who generally have heard of the name City Hunter but have no idea what he looks like, like the urban legend that he is. Looks can be deceiving, and the silly Ryou is not what he often seems to be and that definitely adds to the charm of it all.

This adds a lot to the comedy of City Hunter, as Ryou taunts his foes before embarrassing them as they trip and stumble over themselves. Clients generally don’t take him seriously at first, with girls mistaking him for a pervert, neglecting his help, but as he gets to know them and they get to know him a beautiful bond is often formed between his clients and himself. These are the moments where City Hunter shines, and where City Hunter becomes a truly heartfelt show, a show in which you love each and every character dearly. An episode in particular for example revolved around a girl who was once saved by a man when she was a child, and ever since that day she’s kept away from men, hoping to find that man again. It happens that the man in question looks a lot like Ryou, so he’s hired in order to reinvigorate her love and open her heart up again, so she can finally love again…but was that man all those years ago actually Ryou? These are the types of scenarios you find in City Hunter, and it’s absolutely brilliant.

The art for City Hunter is truly something that I appreciate, with the character designs being iconic and attractive, which is a word I’d also use to describe the females of this show. Make no mistake, the girls of City Hunter are truly formidable allies and enemies of his, with many of them being Ryou’s equal, or damn close and sometimes even his superior, forever keeping him in his toes. But he wouldn’t have it any other way, because he’s Ryou. From follow private eyes, to scientist, princesses, police officers, a gifted croupier, a revolutionary girl, singers and actresses, the females are all talented, diverse and important people in this story, and what makes them more fun to see is how their looks can often be deceiving as they punch well above their own weight and beyond, often protecting themselves without the need for Ryou at all. Sometimes all they need is a face that believes in them, that makes them at ease before they tackle their issues head on and Ryou is often that face that calms the wavering heart. Ryou often plays the part of the stabilizers on a bike, hold them up until they learn to ride by themselves, as the wind blows in their hair and they learn to be young at heart again, free from their troubles

It’s clear that the defining element to City Hunter and its mastery is its characters, and the voice acting has a huge play in that. The Japanese voice cast for this show is sublime, and what I’d describe as utter perfection. Ryou goes from ditzy and silly to slick and serious at the drop of a hat, and this coupled with his mannerisms and character design works in order to create a dynamic and fun character that’s both lovable and desirable. His partner in crime, Kaori is also a favorite of mine and for good reason. A lady who works close with Ryou, living under the same roof, they often exhibit a sense of resentment for each other in an endearing way which brings to mind the image of a married couple, bickering and shouting at each other, but in the end are just two people who truly trust each other as they entrust their lives in the arms of one another. The partnership and bond of these two is very fun to witness grow as you see them in hilarious situations but also emotional ones. These are two people who deep down care for each other, and it’s a beautiful thing to see bloom.

The music for City Hunter is easily a highlight, embracing its 80’s life; it’s jazzy, cheesy and full of emotion with each song doing a stand-up job of signalling what type of scene is coming next. You know something heartfelt is coming your way when you hear The Shining of Cat's Eye play, and you know Saeba is going to do something badass when you hear Want Your Love. The music is energetic, dynamic and punchy, unashamed to tap into its cheesy 80’s action heritage. I will say that the verity of music is a bit lacking, with the same select pieces being used at the appropriate times time and time again, with even the opening music being used within the show in the background many times, but in the end I personally didn’t mind this at all as what’s there is top notch and straight up my alley. The opening and closing themes are also fantastic, with one of the greatest fade-ins in any anime, period. Easily a top 10 soundtrack for me when it’s all said and done and easily a top 10 show to boot. Funny how that works.

Even though I previously mentioned how each episode is episodic in nature, with the beats often being the same from episode to episode, yet each episode still feels truly fresh and interesting, which again is thanks to the great cast that appear in each and every one of those 51 episodes. A girl grieving about a lost lover wanting to be able to move on, a girl who has to play a game of pool in order to keep her families bar, a father who wants to see his little girl again after being framed for a hit and run, a princess who wants just a few days of freedom, to live a normal life even if just for a few days, each scenario is emotional, funny and engrossing and satisfying to watch. You care about the outcomes and the relationships feel truly genuine. It’s a show that’s not a downer, and is made to make its audience happy, so it’s no mystery why I had a massive smile plastered across my face during each episode, as I giggled and laughed to no end with each passing minute.

City Hunter is without a doubt a show that everybody should see, it’s on the longer side (51 Episodes) with 4 seasons in total bringing it to a total of 140+ episodes, and a few spin offs and films in the mix, so it’s a long trek, and one that even I feel that I’ve only just begun. The story goes on, and with it I too go on, eagerly awaiting the next episode, wanting to know what happens next, where the characters go and where they find themselves next has become a part of my daily routine. Whatever the case, City Hunter is one of the greatest shows I’ve had the pleasure of watching. It’s funny, genuinely so with an amazing cast of characters that you care for, with each episode reeling in a new story for you to enjoy, all wrapped up with a soundtrack that gets your blood flowing, and the smiles long, a show that’s pure, and upfront about its intentions. A show that’s aged with grace, with comedy as sharp and funny as ever, with each and every gag hitting all the right spots, you’ll find yourself entertained during the 21 hours of animation goodness. Drama, comedy, action, M&M’s and beautiful girls, it’s all here, in the city that never sleeps, with its watchful protector looking over as long as one beautiful girl still exists, ready to strike. At the end of it all, through thick and thin, with chance and luck, all I can truly say is, Mokkori!
10/10

A must watch, the pinnacle of shounen, and the prototype for shows like GTO and even Bebop. Great music, sublime art with some of the best character designs to grace anime, with humor that hits all of the right notes. A must watch, and I show I won't soon be forgetting, Mr. Private Eye. Now if you don’t mind I’m going to get some M&M’s…

oX504mc.jpg

tToTwmM.jpg

1Mcfc0A.jpg

GET SOME NUTS! Wait, wrong snack.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Triage X Episode 7:

I think this series needs to go back to medical school to learn what medical things actually are. aside from that the new rival group actually makes for somewhat compelling fights.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
http://myanimelist.net/animelist/darkside1337

Finally watched my 10,000th episode of anime. I feel really old right now. And kind of depressed.

Haven't been watching a ton this season. Started watching Kuroko this week and dig it. It's been a while since I've watched a ridiculous sports shounen series on the same level as Prince of Tennis. So far no extinction of dinosaurs but I'd imagine the series continues to ramp up in terms of implausibility as it goes on. Also still enjoying Ace of Diamond and Baby Steps so hooray for sports anime I guess.

Not really a fan of Oremonogatari. The cringe in this series is reminiscent of something like Kimi ni Todoke. Suna is the best character in the show by a fair bit just because he constantly points out how ridiculous this shit is. Not too fond of DanMachi either.

Guess Show by Rock would be my favorite non sports anime of the season. Still need to watch some shows I've intentionally avoided for now like SNAFU S2

Cornbread78

Its not a Tenchi-harem where there's 6 girls actively lusting after him, but its still about a loner who coincidentally hangs out with the hottest girls in the entire school.

But of course, this isn't even that unrealistic given the scenario: Hachiman is basically the only person in the entire school who is capable or willing to do anything about anything. (I mean, the entire school being full of teenagers who avoid drama is already unrealistic, of course)

Are Yuki and Yui even "the hottest chicks" though? It seems to me that the teacher put Hiki with Yuki in that room together so they could help each other and not just for Hiki. They both have isolation issues, Hiki's are just worse. The teacher wanted both of them to grow socially, so they would be productive members of society, hence the "service club"

better get on that one, lol. It's worth it!

While I agree with your disagreement, I'd just like to say that there should be enough room in your heart for both 08th MS Team and 0080: War in the Pocket.

Oh yeah, there's definitely room in my heart for both of them. I just think that 0080 happens to be much better.

But 08th MS Team was one of the first Gundam works I ever saw, so it will always hold a special place in my heart, and I remember it doing some pretty interesting things. I should probably rewatch it sometime soon, because I think it's been at least a decade since I saw it.

Ore Monogatari - 07

It honestly feels like this show has no substance. Yes, the relationship in this show is vastly different from other anime but it isn't actual interesting to follow. The characters are pretty darn one-note and I can't say I care for any of them.

That said, the direction is strong and some of the comedy hits well, especially visually.

Ore Monogatari - 07

It honestly feels like this show has no substance. Yes, the relationship in this show is vastly different from other anime but it isn't actual interesting to follow. The characters are pretty darn one-note and I can't say I care for any of them.

That said, the direction is strong and some of the comedy hits well, especially visually.

I've enjoyed each episode, but I do agree that there isn't a whole lot of substance in any episode, and a lot of it can feel similar. The other problem is that the most enjoyable character was only in the previous two episodes.

Takeo and Yamato in general feel like they're fairly flat right now, and kind of hitting on the same notes over and over. But I'm still finding it a pretty pleasing show to watch, partly because of the direction, and partly because the show does cut through some of the bullshit that plagues a lot of other romance anime/manga.

Kyoukai no Rinne 06- 07

Doesn't seem like the love story vibes have kicked in yet. I thought that angle would have been more obvious by now. As it stands this spirit of the week format has been fine with me thus far with the introduction of actual antagonists.

Phatmac

weird seeing Sakamoto without his glasses at the start. Lol at Gintoki singing the Doraemon theme song. At first it started pretty silly but ended up being a little emotional. Kick the can is still coming up in Gintama for some reason.

What is SNAFU like? Now that a bluray is coming out Im going to watch it.

Full of best girls (and boy), but not really a harem. First season is more comedy, second season is more drama. Well written characters and the banter between them is very entertaining.

Yup Cajun no wars needed, she's the best girl. When you see her you'll agree with us.

Also this. Most anime seem to go down the incestuous route most of the time when it comes to siblings, in this show all you get is a legitimate brother to sister relationship. They love each other like family, and interact with each other like so. It's sad to say this, but it's quite refreshing seeing them together as normal siblings lol.

Komachi is the best imouto.

Nagi no Asukara: Nagi-Asu: A Lull in the Sea, interesting...

Was my 2014 AOTY. Plot is good but the visuals and soundtrack are absolutely fantastic. Some gifs:

PA Works really outdid themselves with this.

Articalys

So what is it that people dislike about Anime News Network? Is it the fact that they use early magazine scans but still have advertising on their site? If they were a random blog with no advertising would anyone care?

Crocodile

So what is it that people dislike about Anime News Network? Is it the fact that they use early magazine scans but still have advertising on their site? If they were a random blog with no advertising would anyone care?

Vito is literally the only person (and he gets so annoyed about it too) I've ever seen anywhere on the internet that has a problem with the site and to this day I have no idea why. Maybe they didn't cite sources in the past (I have no clue) but whenever I've read an article from them they have always cited sources. Most of the magazines from which things get announced are straight up unavailable to English speakers so it isn't even like a NeoGaf and magazine scans type of scenario.

Nephtis

I've enjoyed each episode, but I do agree that there isn't a whole lot of substance in any episode, and a lot of it can feel similar. The other problem is that the most enjoyable character was only in the previous two episodes.

Takeo and Yamato in general feel like they're fairly flat right now, and kind of hitting on the same notes over and over. But I'm still finding it a pretty pleasing show to watch, partly because of the direction, and partly because the show does cut through some of the bullshit that plagues a lot of other romance anime/manga.

I feel like this is one of those shows where it's ok to turn off your brain -- you don't need to look for substance or complicated story lines. All you need to do is take the show for what it is, and enjoy it.

It's one of the few shows, besides Usagi Drop (1st part, I refuse to accept 2nd half) that has me smiling from beginning to the very end.

Knights of Sidonia:

Watched about an episode and a half on Netflix. Running commentary consisted of:

Boy, fully CGI anime? What a bad idea.

Everybody looks identical. Can't tell them apart.

CGI everywhere. Really, this is bad.

Ohhhh... a tentacle rape monster. This is uh... rather predictable?

Still can't tell anybody apart. They all look ugly and bad.

Were they shooting for ugliest looking anime of all time?

Phatmac

Knight of Sidonia:

Watched about an episode and a half on Netflix. Running commentary consisted of:

Were they shooting for ugliest looking anime of all time?
I keep thinking it's an anime based on the music video and get sad when it isn't. :(

Watermarking pirated magazine scans is pretty scummy. It is when Kotaku does it too.

Knight of Sidonia:

With Show By Rock, Unicorn Gundam and from what I've seen of Etotama. I now think there's a place in anime for CG if done right. Although most of the time it just looks out of place or jittery. There are apparently a few more good examples of CG out there though, I've heard Stand By Me: Doraemon looks pretty good at least.

Puruzi

Banned
BRS, Etotama, and Show By Rock have awesome CG
I still like BRS's the most tho, fight scenes were really damn cool

Also anything made by Yuasa is ugly as fuck kappa

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom