• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2015 |OT| The Disappearance of YEAARRT!

Status
Not open for further replies.
There's also something else I want to point out about Sidonia:

*img*

See, this is just... this looks and feels dumb to me. I don't like this sorta thing.

This seems just like a gimmick that people in an anime studio came up with to make something that's special-y and unique and gimmicky. It doesn't seem like something that engineers in a military research and development process would actually come up with. There's no reason why you'd want to hook up with four of your buddies in some super complicated configuration and then fire your boosters. Why go to that trouble? And who's in charge exactly when they're all grouped up? I end up rolling my eyes when I see something like this.

Yeh. But really, everything about this show is abhorrent. Similarly to SAO I can at best applaud some of the background art and that's where all praise stops.

Holy shit the art style and CGI...I blows my fucking mind that you'd actually go the CGI route and manage to make everyone look samey nontheless. Then there's the atrocious framerate and generally shoddy animation. Like, fuck me, why did they even go with CGI when it doesn't seem to benefit them in any way looking at the result? Maybe it reduced overall production cost dramatically but I kinda doubt it.

I'll not even dive into the characters and plot. I'm not surprised S2 focuses even more into these bizarre alien-harem antics.

e: I think this show actually creeps me out to a degree.

Yeh. But really, everything about this show is abhorrent. Similarly to SAO I can at best applaud some of the background art and that's where all praise stops.

Holy shit the art style and CGI...I blows my fucking mind that you'd actually go the CGI route and manage to make everyone look samey nontheless. Then there's the atrocious framerate and generally shoddy animation. Like, fuck me, why did they even go with CGI when it doesn't seem to benefit them in any way looking at the result? Maybe it reduced overall production cost dramatically but I kinda doubt it.

I'll not even dive into the characters and plot. I'm not surprised S2 focuses even more into these bizarre alien-harem antics.
I don't think it is so much about cost per se but the reliability and predictability of it. Also under the (possibly false) impression that it is more humane (less stressful and tedious) than traditional animation.

e: I think this show actually creeps me out to a degree.

I thought it was funny how the Queen/Leader of Sidonia wore a mask, when all the CGI people's faces look just as stiff and emotionless without it.

Thoraxes

2015-05-2103.49.043aqh5.jpg

wonzo

Banned
It was pretty good but didn't think it quite lived up to the manga.
I actually found the anime better thanks to all the fleshing out Yuasa did with the story. Made things feel far more thematically and emotionally complete than the manga did. (doesnt have matsumoto's godlike paneling and art tho)

Mailbox

Golden Time ep.2-3
Ok, I just finished ep.3 and I think I know what everyone is referring to now, is it the
whole amnesia side plot? I wonder how they are going to mess with it in this show? Go figure her dad is rich a rubs a hospital as well, so convenient. .
Those friggen
religious (crazy scientology, lol) members running after them was funny. It's a shame they lost th e or luggage though.
Now, our MC already has about 6 possible maidens lined up, but I think we know where this is headed based on the opening. We just need a little more comedy like ep. 1 going forward..

The stuff everyone refers to is.... part of "that", yes.

I can understand (really i can) why people don't like stuff that happens in the second half and I did find the ending to be a tad too weak. Could have used an episode or 2 more to fix it up.

Overall i actually liked Golden Time though I can't guarantee you will like the second half. Just watch and don't let some people discourage you :)

oh... I actually just marathoned Hyouka.
The one thing that I will say is that I loved both the character interactions and use of different shot types. After catching up to a lot of stuff airing now, Hyouka was very much a breath of fresh air in terms of art and scene direction.
Kyoani did a lot better job on this than Amagi's Brilliant Park, though i enjoyed both. They also ended it a lot better than Amagi as well, but i still didn't feel 100% satisfied by it.

Still, I want to see more of the stuff that made Hyouka what it was in more anime.

also: Satoshi is an idiot and an ass.

Anko

I feel like giving R.O.D. another watch. It's been so long...
Edit:Oh my god I missed the BD Box. FFfffffffff.

Knights of Sidonia:

Watched about an episode and a half on Netflix. Running commentary consisted of:

Boy, fully CGI anime? What a bad idea.

Everybody looks identical. Can't tell them apart.

CGI everywhere. Really, this is bad.

Ohhhh... a tentacle rape monster. This is uh... rather predictable?

Still can't tell anybody apart. They all look ugly and bad.

Were they shooting for ugliest looking anime of all time?

Yeah.. well.. everyone looking identical is more because of the mangaka's lack of ability. He knows this.
He was once tasked to draw a portrait of the two seiyuu, Suzaki Aya and Sakura Ayane. Problem is that the two of them had similar hairstyles. So he.. uh .. had to differentiate them some other way.
tEdUfKF.jpg

But Hoshijiro is cute! You'll get used to the CG soon. S2 improves on it imo. I'm just watching this to see how many times they can rely on Tanikaze to save the day nowadays...

DEATH™

All of this talk of Golden Time made me rewatch some of it again just to see if it aged well.

And I just got reminded of how awesome 2D-Kun was.

A toast for you brother...

There's also something else I want to point out about Sidonia:

mqFE7Sp.gif

See, this is just... this looks and feels dumb to me. I don't like this sorta thing.

This seems just like a gimmick that people in an anime studio came up with to make something that's special-y and unique and gimmicky. It doesn't seem like something that engineers in a military research and development process would actually come up with. There's no reason why you'd want to hook up with four of your buddies in some super complicated configuration and then fire your boosters. Why go to that trouble? And who's in charge exactly when they're all grouped up? I end up rolling my eyes when I see something like this.

Eh...uh... I guess you aren't capable of watching any mecha anime because human shaped robots are like the dumbest things in the list of dumb things. This is what you could even call useful.

Cornbread78

I really have to stop replying to posts with spoilers in them, ugghh. That at sucks, now I know what you mean Cajun... Not too fond of that being used because of Kanon and Air, etc.. Oh well, let's see how it goes anyhow.

cajunator

Banned
I really have to stop replying to posts with spoilers in them, ugghh. That at sucks, now I know what you mean Cajun... Not too fond of that being used because of Kanon and Air, etc.. Oh well, let's see how it goes anyhow.

Yeah it was a cheap annoying gimmick and it just muddles up everything.

TUSR

Banned
Someone is actively watching a show, and people aren't even using spoiler tags properly.

Smh

Even if it's Golden Time.

javac

Doesn't seem to get the warmest reception, but I'm going to give it a watch one day for sure, really interested in it as its one of Oshii's earlier works, after Urusei Yatsura and all of that stuff which I also need to check out one day, although I'm just interested in Beautiful Dreamer in that case. Don't know if it's very Oshii-like, but it'll be interesting to see from a historical point of view, being one of the first OVA's and all that.

Jintor

What the fuck is with Crunchy's piece of shit player? Jesus christ. I'm paying for this laggy, stuttery piece of crap? It doesn't even pause and buffer, it just STUTTERS. GOD-AWFUL. Like, it wants to be able to pick up smoothly whereever you skip to, but because of that it goes smooth for 5 seconds then starts stuttering like crazy until the buffer catches up. Who designed this?!? Jesus christ.

Love Lab 5

Aww, they skimped out on actually speaking English.

Riko did a thing!

omg maki lol

oh and then they skipped over the training arc :<

and then defeat. bad end!

uh oh new characters

Cornbread78

What the fuck is with Crunchy's piece of shit player? Jesus christ. I'm paying for this laggy, stuttery piece of crap? It doesn't even pause and buffer, it just STUTTERS. GOD-AWFUL. Like, it wants to be able to pick up smoothly whereever you skip to, but because of that it goes smooth for 5 seconds then starts stuttering like crazy until the buffer catches up. Who designed this?!? Jesus christ.

I've found it helps if you go to the time stamp that you want, then pause it for a couple seconds while it catches up. It should run fine after that...

AIR
Almost done, I can't deal with this first thing in the morning....

Cornbread78

Air ep. 8-END:
tumblr_matxo0PcnZ1qzbbtto7_500.gif

(BTW, this gif needs a "This is AnimeGAF" caption written on it for future use)

Damn, You know it&#8217;s coming through most of the show, but in the end, there is no way of stopping it. As I said before, the music is great, especially the track that plays through the ending. It's well timed, has a great melody and it really helps grab the moment; which is what these shows are all about (Clannad, Kanon, Air).
There were some loopholes in the ending though, at least it seems like there was to me... They played a cut in ep. 8-10
that showed what has happened to the bloodlines in prior history and explained how it would be passed down through time, however, that didn&#8217;t occur with the current timeline with the characters involved, then it shows the little boy and girl at the end that know everything that is going on as a another flashback? Kinda confusing. Also, Yukito came back, even in the current timeline, as well as his reincarnation through the crow from a previous timeline, but just vanishes? They said he would die, but how/why did he just vanish?
I must have missed some text in there or missed a screen of something to throw me so off there. However, none of that changed the fact that this anime, was yet another, tear jerker at the end. Obviously, it's not as powerful as Clannad or Your Lie in April because there was a little bit of confusion there on what is occurring, however, they do an amazing job with it.. It&#8217;s just not fair making me feel this way the rest of the day now. Well, time to go get pissed at Golden Life now&#8230;
tumblr_mi88tqeYpM1r987fqo1_500.gif

Midonin

Aikatsu! Akari Generation 134

Right when the main cast finishes preparing their units does a new character appear - but that's next week. This was all about Madoka and Akari forming Skips and Madoka coming to realize what Akari's life is like, and how to get along with her. The two make a good match, far more Love Laika than Asterisk. I'm curious what big end of season event is being built up to here, since this season has a greater focus on units than ones before it.

Articalys

So does Crunchyroll's news team have any of the same problems as ANN, or are they better? Why can't we just have a straightforward English-language anime news site that's not a blog?

They played a cut in ep. 8-10
that showed what has happened to the bloodlines in prior history and explained how it would be passed down through time, however, that didn&#8217;t occur with the current timeline with the characters involved, then it shows the little boy and girl at the end that know everything that is going on as a another flashback? Kinda confusing. Also, Yukito came back, even in the current timeline, as well as his reincarnation through the crow from a previous timeline, but just vanishes? They said he would die, but how/why did he just vanish?
I must have missed some text in there or missed a screen of something to throw me so off there.

Hm?
Yukito is the descendant of Ryuya and Uraha. And Misuzu is Kanna reincarnated.

Anyway... It's one of the weaker shows that would have been better as 2 cour. And the one where the movie is actually more straight-forward and better.

Oh, and did you spot the cameo in episode 2? :p

So does Crunchyroll's news team have any of the same problems as ANN, or are they better? Why can't we just have a straightforward English-language anime news site that's not a blog?

Crunchy has a varied number of news staff, one of which has Japanese as their first language and their articles are edited by Eng staff. Another grabs news from twitter posters like myself and copies/pastes their translations while giving them credit in most cases. There's not the hypocrisy that ANN has, so it tends to be slightly better. It's more dependent on the writer than ANN is for news. They also have a fair amount of clickbait ("see which shows Japanese otaku...."), but they're also more likely to run stuff that isn't always negative for other aspects of Japanese culture.

Sadly it's still better to follow people on twitter for news updates regarding speed. News itself isn't profitable, so you have to have articles that misrepresent things to get clicks/revenue.

Someone asked earlier and I thought you'd be the perfect person to ask since you seem to know about the manga for this, is the format episodic like BBB, or continuous? I ask because I could see both formats working for this.

From the little I've read it's about crazy oddjobers that have some great backstory, they pretty much take offers, have fun, and fight. Though there are definitely it's serious moments as well. It's not episodic but more continuous. From looking at the trailer Studio Manglobe definitely got the atmosphere down.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom