• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2015 |OT| The Disappearance of YEAARRT!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Got anime in the mail today:
CFssoMoWEAAG9ut.jpg:large

+ some games

Articalys

Okay, yeah, wow. I didn't realize they used a negative headline every single time when possible, even if there was positive news from it, and ignored it when they wouldn't be able to. That is pretty scummy.

Click-driven revenue is a cancer against fair reporting.

javac

Best girls never win. This is a lesson you must learn.

Macross :) No spoilers for people who haven't seen it, because if you haven't, fucking watch it now and drop all of that other rubbish you're ruining your eyes, ears and brain with! But yes, the best girl truly wins, but to be fair calling her the 'best girl' is a fucking disgrace, don't sully her with those words, she's my waifu.

FutureCard Buddyfight Fight:100 (Hundred) Episode 7 (engdub)
CFs4JBsWoAAzk5s.png

Can I have a Carved Stallion of Dreams, Dallahas. He was amazing card. Also loved the Dashing in the Moonlight, Red Cap. Legend world has some great cards, though I like Gao's normal decks a bit more. His feels faster paced and all. Additionally though at least any deck is capable of the Gao Formation.

Cornbread78

Well... Ayu won ;

True, but they were all childhood friends so there was no contest really, lol

Macross :) No spoilers for people who haven't seen it, because if you haven't, fucking watch it now and drop all of that other rubbish you're ruining your eyes, ears and brain with! But yes, the best girl truly wins, but to be fair calling her the 'best girl' is a fucking disgrace, don't sully her with those words, she's my waifu.

Wait, which show again, lol?

BluWacky

Here's all of the Anime Limited updates from yesterday:

Thanks for the updates.

Unfortunately - although I'm not surprised - no news on the Escaflowne Blurays that were due out in "fourth quarter 2014" when announced in 2013. It's been nearly two years since the American announcement, too (I'm guessing Anime Limited will wait until they have material that Funimation has prepped and they can use). It would be nice to have SOME comment on it :(

Saudades

Which one of them should I watch? DYRL?

DiGiKerot

NO i didn't ( weird i tend to read most if not all posts ) ..the date on amazon.co.uk is as it is.

october is still far away....

The December date for Baccano on Amazon is a placeholder Amazon themselves put on there because AtA couldn't specify a date more accurate than this year. They have every intention of releasing it before then.

javac

Wait, which show again, lol?
Super Dimension Fortress Macross, it's a 36 episode series that came out back in 1982 and is one of the more influential shows from the mecha genre, and in my top 5 series of all time for sure. It's old, antiqued at times, cheesy and just plain amazing and better for it. The characters are some of the best in anime, with amazing designs and a stunning soundtrack. Seriously one of the GOATS. I don’t know if your acquainted with older shows, but this is pretty damn good. If you want to watch some good, old mecha anime, I’d recommend Gunbuster first, a 6 episode OVA, will blow your mind for sure. Once you get a bearing on the older shows and their mannerisms, shows like Macross are a must.

Thanks for the updates.
Unfortunately - although I'm not surprised - no news on the Escaflowne Blurays that were due out in "fourth quarter 2014" when announced in 2013. It's been nearly two years since the American announcement, too (I'm guessing Anime Limited will wait until they have material that Funimation has prepped and they can use). It would be nice to have SOME comment on it :(
Yeah that is sad, I wanted to see more/anything about Escaflowne, but I'd rather they not rush it in the end :) Never seen the show, but have been intrigued by it for years so the Blu-ray will hopefully reward my patience.

Which one of them should I watch? DYRL?
I think in the end, the TV series is the best place to start. I wrote a review for the film, DYRL on here, and I loved it to bits, but that had a lot to do with the love I already held for the cast and soundtrack. This might sound like a massive disservice, but I say this earnestly when I say DYRL is like a massive, amazing Macross music video. It's an amazing film in its own right mind you and holds up on its own, but I think the show is a must before hand to get everything out of it. Watch the show to get a feel for the universe, its soundtrack, general aesthetic and characters and come back for the breath-taking film which will leave you with a huge smile on your face. I know it seems more appealing to watch the 2 hour film first, but those 36 episodes are worth it big time and the film is an amazing send off.

SNAFU 7-8

I think I lost the plot somewhere or something is wrong with the crunchyroll subs because it feels like everyone is talking really vaguely and I have NO IDEA what they are even on about at all at this point.

They keep talking about "it" and Hachiman saying he wants the real thing and then everyone is crying and Yukinoshita says "I don't understand" and I say to myself "I don't understand either" and then I'm just left with a feeling of WTF.

Yet I can't stop myself from liking this show. 10/10

And yeah I'll probably go read the light novels at this point.

Crunchyrolls subs for this show are really vague for some reason. I dont blame people for being confused. It's like if they're afraid of having the same translations as fansubs and think they'll be accused of copying by other people so they intentionally take the most roundabout way to translate something. Its extremely frustrating.

DiGiKerot

Thanks for the updates.

There was a quick update on it, but internet is so bad around the ExCel today that I'd imagine Andy was having trouble keeping the UKA Twitter updated at pace.

From what I gather, they have materials now (and the broadcast version of the show is up one Viewster for the UK now), but the HD-remaster masters they have had delivered actually have different timing to the subtitles and the like, so progress is slower than ideal. I think they're still expecting this year, but *shrug*

Any idea when they're releasing the fixed version of Durarara season 1?

The standard edition BDs of Durarara, which should be out now, is the corrected version. They've been running a replacement program if you happen to have the LE with the crappy disks.

Cornbread78

SNAFU S2 ep.8
Dammit, that was an
emotional Hiki right there and it shows he is growing up emotionally finally; almost made me tear up a little with him, lol. Of
course, it's all thanks to sensei! I can't believe he said that to her (made her blush, how cute..) Also, Hiki yet again,
denying Yui
! He definitely recognized it this time! A lot of non-understanding at the end, but I think that was a turning point for the three of them where they now know
just how important the club is to all of them.
Excellent episode like usual.

Oh and even Sensei thinks Hiki is the man for Yuki, lol

So did Hestia/Pick up chicks in a dungeon the anime actually turn into something serious and awesome?

Yeah, last episode was awesome. .

My Teen Romantic Comedy SNAFU Too 8

And... There it is. This is a good point to heal all the wounds. Now they all know that
their relationships with each other are really important to each other.
And it seems Hachiman has made his decision. I can really relate with thinking at a hundred miles an hour when making an emotional statement. And he just nailed it.

This is getting really good.

Cornbread78

My Teen Romantic Comedy SNAFU Too 8

And... There it is. This is a good point to heal all the wounds. Now they all know that
their relationships with each other are really important to each other.
And it seems Hachiman has made his decision. I can really relate with thinking at a hundred miles an hour when making an emotional statement. And he just nailed it.

This is getting really good.

The biggest part of that is the fact he
actually made an emotional statement with tears in his eyes.

Sailor Moon Crystal 21-22

I kind of forgot about Chibi-Usa becoming evil during this arc, it's still a far better use of her character then anything she does as a good guy up to this point. Still has all the standard Crystal problems including a hilarious Inferno Cop moment where everyone slides towards each other at the end of 22.

OreGairu / SNAFU! S2 Ep. 8

j38hNpT.png

This is just so good. Emotional, and well produced. I had to watch it a few times to really appreciate everything.

Hachiman's monologue (huge spoilers) was done really well.
Hachiman's ugly cry was heartbreaking. The expression on his face conveyed more emotion than a typical theatrical anime crying scene could. Many brought up that Shirobako episode when they went back and redid the crying scene in Exodus.
I'm glad Feel had the discipline to tone it down. Definitely watched that scene many, many times.

Besides just the contents of the scene, the animation, music and voice work were fantastic.
The hug at the end between Yui and Yukino, Hachimans mouth quivering, Yukino's door slam, Hachiman looking left and right at the girls during his monologue.
So many little details made watching this episode a joy.

Its easy to write Yui off as an air head but she's the most emotionally mature and genuine (no pun intended) person in the group. She's honest and caring and works hard to keep everyone together. If she wasn't around I think the club would have dissolved a long time ago.

I'm really excited about the rest of the season.
The service club is back. I can't wait to see the girls interact with Mr. Logical Synergy as well as with Iroha.
I love Iroha's voice, its really cute. Sensei also got some extended screen time and dropped some wisdom while being super cool and cute. The post credits preview part with her was absolutely hilarious and sad. I love how her VA changes moods so quickly. Someone marry her already!

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
FSN Unlimited Talking Works

FWK93mU.gif
FWK93mU.gif
FWK93mU.gif
FWK93mU.gif
FWK93mU.gif
FWK93mU.gif
FWK93mU.gif
FWK93mU.gif

FWK93mU.gif
FWK93mU.gif
FWK93mU.gif
FWK93mU.gif
FWK93mU.gif
FWK93mU.gif
FWK93mU.gif
FWK93mU.gif

Wow. Just wow. I can't believe how badly they have fucked up this fight.

I'm not one for the criticism that they're talking too much, but they spent the entire episode dedicated to the fight just fucking talking and talking and talking about shit that didn't make a lick of sense. I was literally shouting at the screen - "stop fucking talking and go over there and fucking fight him."

To be clear, Shirou's rejection of Archer's vision is important. It just doesn't need to take up the entire fucking episode with random fucking words that are barely coherent.

FSN Unlimited Talking Works

Wow. Just wow. I can't believe how badly they have fucked up this fight.

I'm not one for the criticism that they're talking too much, but they spent the entire episode dedicated to the fight just fucking talking and talking and talking about shit that didn't make a lick of sense. I was literally shouting at the screen - "stop fucking talking and go over there and fucking fight him."

To be clear, Shirou's rejection of Archer's vision is important. It just doesn't need to take up the entire fucking episode with random fucking words that are barely coherent.

Despite me liking it, I can't really disagree. All the fights in S2 so far haven't seemed to last more than a few minutes at most, interspersed with talking and introspection. If they couldn't commit to a decent fight scene considering how important this episode is, I don't really have much hopes left for any fight for the rest of this.

Fate/Stay Night -Unlimited Blade Works- 20

This episode was great.
We saw Kotome get what he deserves.
I literally stood up and clapped when that happened. It was great to see. People who are saying they messed up the fight I don't think get what they're trying to do. This episode, while there was some fighting, was more to confirm everyone's path and that they will see it to the end. Shirou now has his answer and knows what he must do. Hell, the
Archer/Shirou
fight has barely begun.

The animation and sound this episode was top notch! This truly should be renamed to Unlimited Budget Works. Everything is just so well done. Very pleased with how this episode turned out.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Do people forget that they're watching an adaptation of an adult visual novel? What do you expect?
The criticism that I don't know the source material doesn't work here, sorry. I read all three routes. It doesn't need to be adapted as a 20 minute long speech and in the novel it was just internal dialog AS they fought.

phaze

Isn't the entirety of Nisekoi trolling fillers?

Those are not fillers but episodic content !

FSN: UBW 20
Lancer proving once gain he's the best servant.

F/Z based speculation
Surely Kirei won't bite the dust just yet ? He survived similar wound at the end of F/Z.

The
scabbard twist
was nice reveal but why didn't Shirou heal in similar fashion from his earlier wounds if he had it in him all along ?

I'm withholding my judgement on the whole Shirou character development business till its finished but I don't like where it seems to be going right now.

Phatmac

...huh that Avalon twist is pretty strange considering this is Rin's story but I guess it's fine considering the memory of Kiritsugu Emiya is still remembered by Shirou full heartedly unlike Archer who has lost faith in humanity. Avalon also doesn't heal that quickly in UBW when compared to the fate route since that's Saber's story. The flashback trip with Shirou was great considering he understands Archer yet rejects him since Shirou still thinks Kiritsugu's dream is worth following. The scene with Archer distorting Shirou's ideal is great has it directly compares to Saber's dream and failure as her ideal is also curropt. The music department greatly improved this episode near the end especially. The scene with lancer is similar to the VN but it's still tragic consider his history with Bazett. Overall it was an amazing episode which will hopefully be capped off with a great end next week.

Plastic Memories 8

Lot of episodes today where people are making emotional confessions and realizing things for themselves. This episode is no different. The bomb was finally dropped. The words were said, followed by a pretty funny after credits scene.

Come on, Tsukasa. Get gud.

Phatmac

I also think the fight between Shirou and Archer is far from over. It'll probably be most of the episode as Shirou has found his answer for achieving his goal of being the hero that his father couldn't be. Thinking about it now this route is probably the best one to follow after F/Z although Rin didn't get the revenge she deserved with the Azoth dagger.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
The criticism that I don't know the source material doesn't work here, sorry.
Uh, that's not what I'm doing.

Visual novels are wordy. Why would you expect something else from a VN adaptation? How these words come out is designed around the medium. Visual novels are typically told from a personal or internal perspective, so obviously an internal monologue makes sense in that context. Internal monologues are generally less useful in a medium like anime when dialogue is also available. In this situation dialogue contrasts the perspectives of both parties while laying down the bridgework between them. I mean you're essentially getting the creation of a heroic spirit or whatever. This episode was clearly billed as a major plot point given the removal of the OP, so obviously they intend to spend a good chunk of time on the duel.

I don't even really understand your criticism. The action is really bad but there's still contact/an engagement for most of the episode. The breaks are all either flashforwards, flashbacks, or jumps to other characters. It's not like nothing is happening.

And if you're some Type Mooninite who read these dumb VNs how do you not understand what they're talking about? The translation/script sucks but the intent is pretty plain.

Plastic Memories - 8

The cool theories I thought of along with others are starting to hold less and less water every week with this show.

Everything this show is doing is just setting itself up for the finale that will involve Isla's deactivation.

It's not doing anything interesting with its premise. I mean, you have a setting where androids are integrated into human society.

And you go with a really "by-the-books" tragic love story?

The characters are definitely tolerable, and sometimes enjoyable to watch, but with so much potential, why do something so basic?

It just really, really disappoints me. Especially considering that this was written by Steins;Gate writer Naotaka Hayashi.

Jarmel

Banned
Uh, that's not what I'm doing.

Visual novels are wordy. Why would you expect something else from a VN adaptation? How these words come out is designed around the medium. Visual novels are typically told from a personal or internal perspective, so obviously an internal monologue makes sense in that context. Internal monologues are generally less useful in a medium like anime when dialogue is also available. In this situation dialogue contrasts the perspectives of both parties while laying down the bridgework between them. I mean you're essentially getting the creation of a heroic spirit or whatever. This episode was clearly billed as a major plot point given the removal of the OP, so obviously they intend to spend a good chunk of time on the duel.

I don't even really understand your criticism. The action is really bad but there's still contact/an engagement for most of the episode. The breaks are all either flashforwards, flashbacks, or jumps to other characters. It's not like nothing is happening.

And if you're some Type Mooninite who read these dumb VNs how do you not understand what they're talking about? The translation/script sucks but the intent is pretty plain.

By that reasoning, a person shouldn't complain if a light novel adaptation is extremely dialogue heavy for a number of episodes?

There are ways to represent thoughts and ideals visually without the need for dialogue.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
By that reasoning, a person shouldn't complain if a light novel adaptation is extremely dialogue heavy for a number of episodes?

There are ways to represent thoughts and ideals visually without the need for dialogue.
Anyone is welcome to set whatever unreasonable expectations they desire. There is nothing inherently undesirable about dialogue heavy material. Most light novels are drawn out and dull for other reasons.

Fate/stay night is actually loaded with windows into different eras, littered with symbolism, allegories, and parallels between characters. Saber basically said nothing but the most recent episode was still about her, to an extent. It's still bad, but it's not just straightforward dialogue between two seated parties.

cajunator

Banned
So I just checked MVM's twitter account and their 2016 line up looks pretty good: Love live S1/S2, Flowers of Evil, So I Can't Play H, Busou Shinki, Rosen Maiden-Zuruckspulen, Sasami-San@Ganbarani, Photokano, Re-Kan, Outbreak Company, Kamisama Kiss S2, Nyanko!, Love, Election & Chocolate, Hidamari Sketch S1, Kampfer/Kampfer Fur Die Liebe, Kill Me Baby, Maid-Sama! and Samurai Harem. Unlimited Blade Works will also be releasing here in the UK at the end of the year.

BGBW rejoices. Still no Yuru Yuri though. Wonder what the holdup n Europe is for that show.

Got anime in the mail today:

+ some games

Nice!@ So that Gurren Lagann set is the whole entire thing?

It's been many years since I've watched it, but I recall it being rather bland. The setting is definitely up Cornbread's alley though.

aww...

I think I watched like, six episodes of that and bailed out.

It just seemed waaaaay too generic by fantasy anime standards for me.

What do yall mean by bland and generic? I think it utilized Ragnarok character/setting assets nicely and I wouldnt call those bland or boring. But I guess maybe Final Fantasy and other recent games have kind of made fantasy pretty spectacular.

Thanks for the updates.

I would love Escaflowne blurays. That show would look phenomenal in HD!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom