• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2015 |OT| The Disappearance of YEAARRT!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hellix

Those are not fillers but episodic content !

FSN: UBW 20
Lancer proving once gain he's the best servant.

F/Z based speculation
Surely Kirei won't bite the dust just yet ? He survived similar wound at the end of F/Z.

The
scabbard twist
was nice reveal but why didn't Shirou heal in similar fashion from his earlier wounds if he had it in him all along ?

I'm withholding my judgement on the whole Shirou character development business till its finished but I don't like where it seems to be going right now.

But he did.

XXq1CMv.jpg

Rainy

Banned
Plastic Memories 8

Okay so...I'm a sucker for romance and I'm loving what they're doing here. At the same time I would like to see some non-romantic stuff about the giftias etc.

There's still 5 episodes left. Let's see what happens.

kewlmyc

It's already out, I already received my replacement discs, they just sent me a copy of the Newly released Standard Edition Blu-ray as that contains the new discs which have been fixed.

Cool, thanks.

SNAFU 7-8

I think I lost the plot somewhere or something is wrong with the crunchyroll subs because it feels like everyone is talking really vaguely and I have NO IDEA what they are even on about at all at this point.

They keep talking about "it" and Hachiman saying he wants the real thing and then everyone is crying and Yukinoshita says "I don't understand" and I say to myself "I don't understand either" and then I'm just left with a feeling of WTF.

Yet I can't stop myself from liking this show. 10/10

And yeah I'll probably go read the light novels at this point.

It all boils down to
Hachiman wanting to have a real friendship with the club, unlike the shallow, superficial friendship Hayama and co have. Yukino is hesitant to do the same and seeing Hachiman of all people break down like that confused the hell out of her since he's the last person she would have expected to change like that.

Goddamnit, Crunchyroll.

You really screwed the pooch on Genuine.

To be fair, the whole "genuine" thing comes from a fan translation.

Saudades

F/Z based speculation
Surely Kirei won't bite the dust just yet ? He survived similar wound at the end of F/Z.
He only survived
because the Grail saved him.

Fate/Stay Night Unlimited Blade Works 20

Ve3VISf.jpg

Not this shit again.

And the only character I root for just left the spectacle. Too bad he couldn't just take that SOAB Shinji along with him due to some plot convenience. Kotomine dying like a bitch in this route is pretty sad too, considering he was one of the more interesting characters in the prequel and didn't have as much screen time/action in this series. Guess there's still HF for that.

The Archer vs Shirou fight is botched as expected. Nothing managed to amaze me in terms of choreography except for a very short moment. In fact, no fight scene in this series has been as good as the Lancer vs Saber fight in FZ.

Phatmac

I'm just so amazed by FSN UBW 20 at the 17:00 mark. Seeing both Shirou and Archer recount their horrific origin yet both having different ambitions with them. From Shirou devoting his life to his father's unfulfilled wish since he saved him with Avalon. For him to continue to walk the path of hell devoting his life to being someone that can save people and becoming a machine and picking the sword from the stone like Saber the both of them accept their life as a hero that won't get happiness like regular people. Archer is the ideal of Shirou's. Dream but regrets it all due to his choice of becoming a counter guardian while trying to save lives like Shirou wants to. The music only amplifies this feeling of triumph for Shirou realizing his wish and making it come true by beating himself. Bravo Ufotable!

He only survived

Fate/Stay Night Unlimited Blade Works 20

And the only character I root for just left the spectacle. Too bad he couldn't just take that SOAB Shinji along with him due to some plot convenience. Kotomine dying like a bitch in this route is pretty sad too, considering he was one of the more interesting characters in the prequel and didn't have as much screen time/action in this series. Guess there's still HF for that.

The Archer vs Shirou fight is botched as expected. Nothing managed to amaze me in terms of choreography except for a very short moment. In fact, no fight scene in this series has been as good as the Lancer vs Saber fight in FZ.
I knew someone would bring up that scene, but there really isn't anything wrong with what he's saying there unless you refuse to think and take it at face value. He's saying that even if Archer is correct that his actions and ideals are hypocrisy and will only lead him to regret, that doesn't mean he's right that they shouldn't exist and that they're worthless. Shiro is essentially saying Archer is missing the forest for the trees

Shokugeki No Soma 5-7

Watching meat girl get wrecked was just as satisfying as I remembered. Only JoJo can match the big shit eating grin I get while watching SnS. Soma's cocky nature combined with the cooking beat downs really makes this series special.

Saudades

Well, it makes sense in context. 'Right' indicates some sort of moral bearing, but 'correct' washes its hands of that meaning.

I knew someone would bring up that scene, but there really isn't anything wrong with what he's saying there unless you refuse to think and take it at face value. He's saying that even if Archer is correct that his actions and ideals are hypocrisy and will only lead him to regret, that doesn't mean he's right that they shouldn't exist and that they're worthless. Shiro is essentially saying Archer is missing the forest for the trees

It makes sense. Archer may be correct in theory but he isn't truly correct in Shirou's mind. It makes sense in context.

My point is that like "People die when they are killed", there were a million ways they could've word that line differently and they chose that one.

phaze

But he did.

XXq1CMv.jpg

But it still took him like a full night to recover I think. A far cry from what he pulled here and from what F/Z spoilers
Kiritsugu pulled in his fight with Kirei.

But okay I will allow it.

He only survived

That's quite an anticlimactic send off then. Expected much more out of him. F/Z spoilers
IIRC he said he didn't have no pulse after that, which is why I assumed shrugging off this wound would be nothing for him
. Oh well, that's what you get for luring Kariya to the church ! Justice has been finally served.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
They botched the only episode and fight I cared about in UBW. I can't believe this shit. At least Deen made this shit epic with a fight and dialogue at the same time without a terrible pacing break. This shit is madly offensive. I'm pretty upset that they had the nerve to title this episode Unlimited Blade Works.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
I just wrote a long post my first in awhile here and then hit CMD+R to hopefully replace the mispelling of a name, didn't realize it would refresh the page removing my writing with no way to get it back :(

cajunator

Banned
So did Hestia/Pick up chicks in a dungeon the anime actually turn into something serious and awesome?

Well it certainly turned violent.

Impressive. They spread it out over 5 volumes here.

But he did.

XXq1CMv.jpg

Shoulda just let him bleed.

Woop woop, Marika arrived today. My Nisekoi S1 collection is complete. Fuck yeah!

Based SHAFT

Mine too!
Squeeeeeeeee!

Also impressed with the DtB LE set.
I love collecting animu.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
It makes sense. Archer may be correct in theory but he isn't truly correct in Shirou's mind. It makes sense in context.

It's is basically redundant, the VN conveyed the concept a better to me a least. Archer was wrapped up in the end result, and the end result which is that that life will end in regret and despair. Shirou's argument, was that he never gave a fuck about how this life ends he didn't do it to be happy or thankful in the end, he did it because he wanted to live a completely selfless life and save lives.

Archer is correct about how it ends, but he completely misses why he's following the path in the first place.

Sterok

Re-Kan 8

Still perfectly average. Sort of an okay episode dealing with a little ghost girl about to move on, but still nothing amazing. If nothing else, I can give props for consistency.

Phatmac

It's is basically redundant, the VN conveyed the concept a better to me a least. Archer was wrapped up in the end result, and the end result, is that that life will end in regret and despair. Shirou's argument, was that he never gave a fuck about how the his life, ends he didn't do it to be happy or thankful in the end, he did it because he wanted to live a completely selfless life and save lives.

Archer is correct about how it ends, but he completely misses why he's following the path in the first place.
Yeah it's tough to convey everything the VN does right in these ways.

Cornbread78

It all boils down to
Hachiman wanting to have a real friendship with the club, unlike the shallow, superficial friendship Hayama and co have. Yukino is hesitant to do the same and seeing Hachiman of all people break down like that confused the hell out of her since he's the last person she would have expected to change like that.

To be fair, the whole "genuine" thing comes from a fan translation.

Great breakdown.
Both scenes, first with sensei and Hiki that set everything up for later. Then the emotionally charged conversation with Hiki and the girls w
ere both amazing and very well written.

kewlmyc

Unlimited Blade Works 20

Wow, that was actually kinda disappointing. There had to be a better way of blending the dialogue and action than that. Oh well, maybe next episode will be better.

Trojita

Here is me trying to rewrite my previous paragraph that disappeared due to an accidental refresh.

Is It Wrong to Try to Pick Up Girls in a Dungeon? Episodes 1-7

My write up is mostly going to focus on the "Supporter" Arc and the gender roles reinforced herein. This arc gets surprisingly dark. Terrible stuff is happening to people even in a world where gods and goddesses, whether they be in Heaven or Earth, can influence change.

In this arc our main character, the new adventurer Bell, is instructed that he should find a supporter to join him on his dungeon runs. A supporter specializes in picking up monster drops, providing range support, and providing moral support. Bell initially shrugs off the notion but meets a girl named Liliruca who also of course happens to be a supporter. He hires Liliruca and they go into dungeon. Liliruca steals Bell's Legendary, a priceless weapon gifted to him by his patron Goddess. Bell later realizes the Dagger is missing, but thinks he misplaced or dropped it, being too naive to think that Liliruca stole it. Even after she is caught with the knife by others, Bell still doesn't realize Liliruca took it. Liliruca continues to "support" Bell in continuous dungeon runs, but we later find out she was stealing a large amount of the money that they were making off the monster drops. We learn that Liliruca has had a terrible life. Liliruca lost her parents early in life. She has been abused by adventurers that she was hired or forced to support. Liliruca is trying to amass enough money "to pay her way out" of the Familia (Guild) she belongs to. The Familia Liliruca belongs to named Soma is host to Adventurers that would betray people they would have once considered as "friends".

One day Liliruca sees Bell arguing with one of the adventurers that abused her. She mistakes this argument as a conversation between Bell and the Adventurer to scam her. Liliruca devises a plan to trap Bell. She convinces Bell that he is good enough to take on the high level monsters on the Dungeon's 10th floor. Bell had barely been able to take out the monsters on floor 7 last time. When they arrive on the Floor 10, Liliruca convinces Bell to walk forward into a misty area that is obscuring vision. They run into a high level ogre. Bell fights and kills this ogre. Another one comes, he takes care of that one. Another one comes and then another one, and all of a sudden Bell is surrounded. He notices that someone had been luring the monsters here with monster bait. He calls out for Liliruca who he cannot see anymore. All of a sudden he hears a sound and we see Liliruca using a machine to grab Bell's dagger, stealing it one more time. We learn that Liliruca had set the monster bait out so that Bell would be sorrounded. She runs away leaving Bell to die. On her way out of the dungeon with her plunder, she runs into a band of the adventurers that had been abusing her. They hit her, steal her stuff, and leave her to be killed by a trap they set themselves. They set out crying ant children that will lure killer dungeon ants to her location and kill her. Right before she is eaten, Bell saves her of course.

Now to the focus of this writeup. SHE LEFT HIM TO DIE. She purposely setup a trap that was supposed to kill him. Ironically this is the same thing that happens to her afterwards. Now while the adventurers that abused her are horrible and deserve judgement, which the ringleader gets later on in the form of death, she did the same thing to Bell but is forgiven because she is a cute girl. If this was a man or unattractive woman character-type they would be punished and not forgiven, but because she is a cute girl this does not happen. We even have the main character Bell explain to Liliruca that the only reason he saved her was because "she is a girl". We know that she says that Bell was the adventurer that was the kindest to her since she started as a supporter as she leaves him to die, do we have any expectation not to believe she may have killed adventurers that weren't horrible like the band of abuse adventurers, but weren't as naively kind as Bell?

In a case of reverse gender roles we find out Bell was saved, unknowingly, from the onslaught of unending ogres by a girl.

Maybe I'm just getting jaded. I could detach myself from disbelief when watching anime, but this was just so dumb.

Also can we talk about how Bell Cranell is now worse than Kirito when it comes to being the poster child of getting things he doesn't "deserve".

First lets look at the special ability Bell just happens to develop. It's basically akin to Level Up Stats+++. He is increasing his stats at a ridiculous rate as long as his heart is into it, which fortunately for a shounen hero is not in short supply.

He is also given a (presumably equivalent) lvl 99 weapon by his patron goddess, a legendary Dagger forged by the god of Smith herself, priceless and one of a kind. Paying for such a weapon would be impossible for Bell. The dagger is even more ridiculous because it becomes augmented with power the higher Bell's stats get, which with his special ability results in ridiculous power. He also happens upon what appears to be a great set of armor in a cheap junk pile at the Hephaestus store.

Then he just happens to be given an ancient very expensive grimoire that teaches him a quick to use magic spell.

Also he has amassed more love interests than Kirito in the same amount of episodes.

Let's list them all

Hestia
Aiz Wallenstein
Eina The Half Elf Adventurer Advisor to Bell
Syr the Restaurant Maid.
Ryu the Elf Maid (Debatable but not an impossibility. She recognized Bell's new dagger in Liliruca's possesion and even broke her composed silent demeanor to get it back).
Liliruca
Freya
Demeter
The random goddesses at the bathhouse.

This is being nitpicky, but I'm not a fan of them genderswapping some of the gods for pandering "creative license". There are many great goddesses out there that I don't see why they had to genderswap Hephaestus and Loki except for pandering to the male viewership.

I tried to reconstruct most of what I wrote last time, but I may have missed something.

Himemiya

The Sukeban Deka OVA has enough (mostly over the top) shades of what made the manga such a popular action-shoujo classic, and you're all wack if you think it needs the dub to be enjoyable.

Trojita

It's really old, but I feel like spamming it around, since I just bothered to make a screenshot:

Totally no conflicts of interest.

I don't really understand where you are going for with this. They are a website for Japanese content that also opened up a consultation branch dedicated to assisting American companies in acquiring Japanese content and Japanese companies the ability to have a bridge into the American economy. If he is giving titles they help facilitate to bring over more coverage, promotions, and favorable news on their site, you might have a point.

Tuck

BBB - 8
Ehh, it was ok. Some interesting things happened at the beginning and end bu the main segment of the story wasn't fleshed out enough.

I haven't watched UBW yet, but it sounds like I was right not to get excited for what will likely be 20% fight, 60% useless talking and 20% meaningful talking.

Midonin

Go! Princess Precure 17

KIMI WA SHOOTING STAAAAAAAAAAAAR

Kirara episodes have all been pretty great, and this one felt like a sequel to her debut episode. The relationship between her and her mom was nicely fleshed out, and we know her dad is a big time actor, who is, at the moment, filming a movie in Brazil. The Shooting Star attack was pretty sweet, too. Those model Zetsuborgs will never not be creepy. The lack of face really doesn't help matters.

Ooh, Haruka vs Twilight battle next week.

Baalzebup

Is It Wrong to Try to Pick Up Girls in a Dungeon? Episodes 1-7 Megasnip

There are a few points that you seem to have missed when writing this. Especially the thing with Lili was actually addressed just when he was in the process of saving her. Yes, Lili is conveniently a female since she is/becomes part of Bells harem, but as far as saving and forgiving her goes, her gender wasn't actually an issue. Yes, Bell utters the standard "cuz you're a girl" line, but it was called out right then and there and he gave his actual reason, because he wanted to save Lili in particular. He saves her because he sees his former self in her, completely alone and miserable for it.

The Dulcinea effect should only be called out as such if there really isn't anything more to it. After all, we have yet to see Bell fail to try to save someone because they are of the same gender.

Kekkai Sensen 8

mrg3wso.jpg

Holy Shit this is the first time I've seen a power up come from a erection.😆😆😆

I really love how Bones took the creative liberty of this scene. In the manga it was originally like this http://i.imgur.com/UmrfAN2.jpg. The fact they had a temperature signature to convey Zapp's sexual excitement made it fabulously brilliant. I also love how you see a little bulge on his pants. The action in this episode was great as well.

3pb5Wgq.jpg

Chain is truly the best girl this Spring Season.😎

I really loved Chain's screentime in this episode. Her banter with Zapp is truly based. I mean they both hate each other's guts and it's just amazing. The fact she got Zapp to get all macho within seconds was goddamn amazing. She truly knows how to manipulate the Dick Suck.

caJViul.jpg

Berserk reference? Behelit!

I really loved the interactions between the Master and Zapp. I mean he completely destroyed Zapp's pride as a man, truly suffering. Plus it makes it even worse that Zapp's forced to translate all the words that came out of the Master. Though I can seriously see why Zapp is the way he is especially considering he was left in a wasteland all alone.

VO1TDN7.jpg

The picture is getting clear and clear.

This episode truly made the mystery between White and Black a lot clearer. It seems their parents were casters which was told in the beginning of the episode through clever visuals (Based Matsumoto). Which probably means their parents probably sacrificed their lives to seal something which most likely led to White's and Black's current predicament. White truly did die and her brother must of made a contract with one of the 13th Kings. Plus it seems Black knows that he's being taken over by the 13th King. Now the question is what is White's motive and from seeing the preview it seems like White is suffering. A great episode for me, thank you Zapp.

Dio

Banned
My point is that like "People die when they are killed", there were a million ways they could've word that line differently and they chose that one.

I discovered that it's not really UFOtable's fault, that's the subber's.

More literally translated, the japanese sentence is "Your correctness is nothing more than one correctness".

This would be "What is right for you is simply one possible answer," by a more competent translator.

お前の正しさはただ正しいだけのものだ

The word is "正しさ" in both instances.

Kekkai Sensen 8

I really love how Bones took the creative liberty of this scene. In the manga it was originally like this http://i.imgur.com/UmrfAN2.jpg. The fact they had a temperature signature to convey Zapp's sexual excitement made it fabulously brilliant. I also love how you see a little bulge on his pants. The action in this episode was great as well.

I really loved Chain's screentime in this episode. Her banter with Zapp is truly based. I mean they both hate each other's guts and it's just amazing. The fact she got Zapp to get all macho within seconds was goddamn amazing. She truly knows how to manipulate the Dick Suck.

I really loved the interactions between the Master and Zapp. I mean he completely destroyed Zapp's pride as a man, truly suffering. Plus it makes it even worse that Zapp's forced to translate all the words that came out of the Master. Though I can seriously see why Zapp is the way he is especially considering he was left in a wasteland all alone.

This episode truly made the mystery between White and Black a lot clearer. It seems their parents were casters which was told in the beginning of the episode through clever visuals (Based Matsumoto). Which probably means their parents probably sacrificed their lives to seal something which most likely led to White's and Black's current predicament. White truly did die and her brother must of made a contract with one of the 13th Kings. Plus it seems Black knows that he's being taken over by the 13th King. Now the question is what is White's motive and from seeing the preview it seems like White is suffering. A great episode for me, thank you Zapp.

Just finished watching and you hit all of the right points. My god, this episode actually had me laughing quite a bit thanks to Zapp and Chain. As for the last part, yes this episode should be good for those saying that the plot doesn't make sense. Little by little the pieces of the puzzle are coming together and the events from previous episodes start making more sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom