• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2015 |OT| The Disappearance of YEAARRT!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just finished watching and you hit all of the right points. My god, this episode actually had me laughing quite a bit thanks to Zapp and Chain. As for the last part, yes this episode should be good for those saying that the plot doesn't make sense. Little by little the pieces of the puzzle are coming together and the events from previous episodes start making more sense.

14WK67l.jpg

Man I can't wait till Abe Sapien is introduced next episode of Part 2 of Z's Longest Days. This show is truly a reference to Hellboy, I mean it has its own Fishman.

Tuck

UBW - 20
See? What did I say? I told you. I told you. I was right. Some awesome fight-scenes, mostly useless talking.

To be fair, the battle segments were pretty hype. And Lancer was fun to watch. And some of what Archer said was solid - I'm not big on the philosophical bullshit but in certain amounts it can be effective. The problem was that everything meaningful that was said was repeated ad naseum until the 22 minute slot was filled up, and thats a damn shame. Also, I'm pretty sure this show has broken like... every rule set out in Fate Zero, but I can't be bothered to go back and check for sure. F/Zero seemed pretty rigid with its rules but this is just like "Oh yeah heres some new information that lets us get around all those inconvenient details." Like Lancer surviving the command spell long enough to kill Kitomine - it was fun to watch, but a bit of a stretch.

Oh, and they need to stop cutting Archer's monologue short. I want to hear it in all its cheesy-awesomeness glory!

Theonik

AHAHAHA not in this country. :(
MVM only releases US stuff. The US got a BD for it so we are as well probably.

So I just checked MVM's twitter account and their 2016 line up looks pretty good: Love live S1/S2, Flowers of Evil, So I Can't Play H, Busou Shinki, Rosen Maiden-Zuruckspulen, Sasami-San@Ganbarani, Photokano, Re-Kan, Outbreak Company, Kamisama Kiss S2, Nyanko!, Love, Election & Chocolate, Hidamari Sketch S1, Kampfer/Kampfer Fur Die Liebe, Kill Me Baby, Maid-Sama! and Samurai Harem. Unlimited Blade Works will also be releasing here in the UK at the end of the year.
Sounds OK.

Valvrave? Code Geass?
Code Geass has had a UK BD release for years now.

Do people forget that they're watching an adaptation of an adult visual novel? What do you expect?
Sex.

Sukeban Deka (Dub)

What do you get when you combine a high school criminal turned detective, a yo-yo that functions as both a weapon and a badge, and a sister trio who rule a school with greed, fame and absolute power? An absolute mess. Sukeban Deka stars majestic pink haired Saki Asamiya as she battles the queen bitches of high school with not but her trusty yo-yo and harsh vulgarities.

The direction in this is a mess. It starts with a back alley rape scene transitioning to a violent bus crash then to the introduction of students at a high school. There is no method or reason to the flow between scenes and it's just confusing. I also want to touch on the use of still frames with dramatic music. This is a trick directors use to convey something of importance with a still shot which is typically of a character's face with dramatic music in the background. It's not as popular in today's anime but from what I've seen from older stuff it was used quite often. Here the director shows no restraints, it's used everywhere. When it is used everywhere it's dramatic effective is lost with nothing left but a corny still of the character that looks like they're trying to pass gas.

The three antagonists all have something they're looking to achieve. It's a fairly simple setup but it works for the most part. One is obsessed with money representing greed, another steals paintings to acquire fame representing vanity and the last brainwashes the student body using rainbows on the computer screen representing domination. They all seek to control the school in their own different way. The overall plot is incredibly stupid mixing high school drama with yakuza gangs.

As for the dub it's very bad. The actors either over act or are completely flat. Some sound like they have something in their mouth while they're talking. It's obvious from the writing that this is awful on every level so they went the campy route and it works if you like that sort of thing. The artstyle is also bad but I'm not going to go into details about it.

It's crass, stupid, and incredibly campy. Sukeban Deka is one of those "so bad it's good" anime and if you like that sort of stuff I guess you could watch it. I had a few good laughs and some of the dialogue had me in stitches but I'm just not a fan of this style of anime. When I look back on my time spent with it I would have rather used it more productively, like leveling my character in WoW.

Got a chance to finally watch Paprika.

Gorgeous movie, but honestly I felt bored for most of it. I also didnt really get what happened in the end or the deal with Paprika herself. The cop dude was cool though.

The blu ray wasn't completely 16:9 either so that bugged me. Its like the picture had a thick black border around it.

Knights of Sidonia: Battle for Planet Nine 7

They took the haremshit to the next level with this one. The one girl even grows breasts and bursts out of her space suit for the MC.

Gunslinger Stratos Episode 8 – Battlefield / The Price of Bloodshed

Dead End indeed. Wow. That felt more like a final episode than an eighth one though. I mean the huge climax moment, everyone working together,
causalities and Xi's surprising move
, what more would this animes climax need?

Mirai finally felt worthwhile.

KanameYuuki

So I always hated Aphrodite, Pisces is my zodiac sign and I was waiting and waiting to look at how much of a boss he would be just to end up on a let down on the Sanctuary episodes, same happened on Hades chapters with him being a pushover, now he finally does something cool on the last episode and then...

And thinking about it, the same happened on the last 3D movie T~T Why...

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Uh, that's not what I'm doing.

Visual novels are wordy. Why would you expect something else from a VN adaptation? How these words come out is designed around the medium. Visual novels are typically told from a personal or internal perspective, so obviously an internal monologue makes sense in that context. Internal monologues are generally less useful in a medium like anime when dialogue is also available. In this situation dialogue contrasts the perspectives of both parties while laying down the bridgework between them. I mean you're essentially getting the creation of a heroic spirit or whatever. This episode was clearly billed as a major plot point given the removal of the OP, so obviously they intend to spend a good chunk of time on the duel.

I don't even really understand your criticism. The action is really bad but there's still contact/an engagement for most of the episode. The breaks are all either flashforwards, flashbacks, or jumps to other characters. It's not like nothing is happening.

And if you're some Type Mooninite who read these dumb VNs how do you not understand what they're talking about? The translation/script sucks but the intent is pretty plain.

You are way over-analyzing this, mate. This is not a VN, its an anime adaptation of one. Its not necessary to have 20 minutes dedicated to Shirou figuring out that he rejects Archer's belief.

Phatmac

You are way over-analyzing this, mate. This is not a VN, its an anime adaptation of one. Its not necessary to have 20 minutes dedicated to Shirou figuring out that he rejects Archer's belief.
Yeah they just need lots of action now. They've talked for far too long even if I liked the scenes with the both of them it's time to fight.

Tuck

Plastic Memories - 8
The fuck is with all this fan service? Come on.

I'm guessing through the power of BS, Isla will magically regain her memories at the end.

But I hope not.

Plastic Memories - 8
The fuck is with all this fan service? Come on.

I'm guessing through the power of BS, Isla will magically regain her memories at the end.

But I hope not.

Ehhh, I honestly don't think it'll happen. She will probably get a new OS, and Tsukasa will just stay with her anyway

Cornbread78

Plastic Memories ep.8
Dammit Tsukasa, why did you go and do that? They did a great job
crafting a beautiful moment with Isla and Tsuk, but damn, even he knows it's going to royally suck to see this through. Why would he go and fall in love with her.
I love this show, but it's gonna get painful unless they have a surprised alternate ending..

Plastic Memories ep.8
Dammit Tsukasa, why did you go and do that? They did a great job
crafting a beautiful moment with Isla and Tsuk, but damn, even he knows it's going to royally suck to see this through. Why would he go and fall in love with her.
I love this show, but it's gonna get painful unless they have a surprised alternate ending..
Hey we both saw it can happen in
Your Lie in April
so I don't think they will shy away from it.

Robotguy

Samurai Flamenco 13
Mostly just setting things up for next episode. We learn that From Beyond is larger than originally anticipated. The Flamengers struggle of the problem of who to save in difficult situations, and Red Ax goes missing.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Literally the plot off Wikipedia:
The main theme in Fate/stay night is "conquering oneself". There are three story lines in the visual novel; each has a different theme. The first one, Fate, is the "oneself as an ideal". The second one, Unlimited Blade Works, is "struggling with oneself as an ideal". The third one, Heaven's Feel, is "the friction with real and ideal"
Twenty minutes of a two cour series is somehow too long for what is the entire point of the work.

Cornbread78

Hey we both saw it can happen in
Your Lie in April
so I don't think they will shy away from it.

Well, the problem there is that she never kept her
promise to perform with him one last time
he should have forgotten her because of that. Well, besides, I just watched Chobits, what is wrong with these guys, there is no way to replicate the release thing. .

Chobits was one of the first manga series I read. I remember those days after school camping out at Barnes and Noble like an asshole and reading every new volume that came out. Good times.

Shinji running off was hilarious. Rest of the episode was pretty boring, at least Aimers insert song was hype inducing. Go Emiya.

Utapri Revolutions Episide 8

Code T.V.U as the most popular song was a great achievement. I still listen to it.

Dont know where Id put Original Resonance from Tokiya and Hijirikawa. It was great but not as exciting as Code T.V.U

Kikirin

What do yall mean by bland and generic? I think it utilized Ragnarok character/setting assets nicely and I wouldnt call those bland or boring. But I guess maybe Final Fantasy and other recent games have kind of made fantasy pretty spectacular.

I wasn't particularly familiar with the source, so it likely affected my enjoyment of the anime some, in terms of being able to catch game references and other fan-catering stuff. Or perhaps marathoning it hurt the pace at which it was meant to be better-enjoyed. Or maybe generally watching anime before going to sleep put me in the wrong mood for it.

But from what I remember, it played the fantasy adventure type of story a bit too straightforwardly, with middling characters, a plot that generally didn't surprise, and execution that was relatively passable. Compare that with the likes of Scrapped Princess or Coffin Princess Chaika or Claymore, which leave a bigger impact through likable characters, interesting settings, thought-provoking questions, and/or adrenaline-pumping action sequences.

That isn't to say that it was outright bad, but it wasn't particularly memorable for me either.

Midonin

Re-Kan! 08

Ghosts don't have to be scary. Ones like these are pretty heartwarming.

High School DxD BorN 08

In Japanese, 胸 can mean "breasts" or "heart". Issei takes that to its ridiculous conclusion.

UBW 20

I actually liked the philosophical discussion going on. And the way it was compared to Kiritsugu's.

Plastic Memories 08

So that's what replacing an OS is like. Changing someone's identity. You don't have to invoke battles to invoke questions about what sci-fi means for humanity. Because science is ultimately for humanity.

cajunator

Banned
GIUn8SO.gif
Precure moms
Uh7SAV5.gif

its all about those Love Live moms

I wasn't particularly familiar with the source, so it likely affected my enjoyment of the anime some, in terms of being able to catch game references and other fan-catering stuff. Or perhaps marathoning it hurt the pace at which it was meant to be better-enjoyed. Or maybe generally watching anime before going to sleep put me in the wrong mood for it.

But from what I remember, it played the fantasy adventure type of story a bit too straightforwardly, with middling characters, a plot that generally didn't surprise, and execution that was relatively passable. Compare that with the likes of Scrapped Princess or Coffin Princess Chaika or Claymore, which leave a bigger impact through likable characters, interesting settings, thought-provoking questions, and/or adrenaline-pumping action sequences.

That isn't to say that it was outright bad, but it wasn't particularly memorable for me either.

I was gonna ask if Scrapped Princess seemed too generic also but you answered my question.

Link Man

Banned
Kanon 7

Whoa, what the hell Makoto? That blindsided me.

Finally, a bit of character development. I was starting to think it was going to just be the same routine, with slight variation, but it got kind of heavy in the last half of the episode.

Cornbread78

Kanon 7

Whoa, what the hell Makoto? That blindsided me.

Finally, a bit of character development. I was starting to think it was going to just be the same routine, with slight variation, but it got kind of heavy in the last half of the episode.

Oh man, everything is about to change; almost seat belt time.

I haven't watched Love Live, should I?
lol, nor sure about the whole mom thing or where it came from, but only 1 mom really impacts Season 1.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom