• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2015 |OT| The Disappearance of YEAARRT!

Status
Not open for further replies.

cajunator

Banned
The thing about watching Blood C after the fact is that you're going to miss out on the hilarious TV censoring which this show really took the next level. It was kind a joke unto itself which is missing from the final home release.

Agreed. The censoring somehow made it look even more absurd. There are Elfen Lied levels of bloodshed but somehow seeing it censored with solly black bars and fog just made it even better than otherwise. I have the uncensored blurays and it lacks something.

Sabagebu! 1-12
Due to Stella 's negative impact on me I decided to avoid this show when it aired. After seeing the general praise on here I decided to try it out, now this is what I was hoping Stella would be like. Generally an enjoyable show that had some amazing comedy moments, and even when it goes action based it never takes itself too seriously. None of the gags ever felt overplayed, nor did it feel like it was trying to shove jokes that didn't work down your throat.

7/10

cajunator

Banned

Oh god. Not lkke this. Hestia was a mistake. She's nothing but trash.

Sabagebu! 1-12
Due to Stella 's negative impact on me I decided to avoid this show when it aired. After seeing the general praise on here I decided to try it out, now this is what I was hoping Stella would be like. Generally an enjoyable show that had some amazing comedy moments, and even when it goes action based it never takes itself too seriously. None of the gags ever felt overplayed, nor did it feel like it was trying to shove jokes that didn't work down your throat.

7/10

If thats 7/10 then what shows do you rate a perfect 10? Or at least 9/10?

Mature

Blood-C - 5-6
Dead twins.
A circus act of bystanders each running outside one at a time to be killed. Talking dog. Blah blah.

The coffee is suspicious.

Quasar

Have you seen Haibane Renmei or Kino's Journey?

No. Haven't seen either. Are either available streaming anywhere?

Looking at my scoring I'm just pretty unwilling to give out extremes (and just what is a perfect anime - I have the same issue with giving games 10's). Even with shows I drop, they need to be especially bad (technically and storywise) for me to go below 4.

cajunator

Banned
No. Haven't seen either. Are either available streaming anywhere?

Looking at my scoring I'm just pretty unwilling to give out extremes (and just what is a perfect anime - I have the same issue with giving games 10's). Even with shows I drop, they need to be especially bad (technically and storywise) for me to go below 4.

I see. Well thats why you dont have any tens then :)

We are already friends on MAL but whaterver, http://myanimelist.net/profile/Blacksaber.

I know but if your name doesnt match gaf I dont remember who is who.

DiGiKerot

In early-morning "let's not wait until the panel later" UK news, All the Anime just tweeted out about licensing Aldnoah.Zero, which will be the thing they mentioned yesterday about the cliffhangers driving folks nuts.

wonzo

Banned
tumblr_nka75u0SYA1tz04ebo1_400.png

tumblr_nk9gklaCkq1tz04ebo1_400.png

tumblr_ngxk8ubErU1tz04ebo1_400.png

CCvVbBFUEAEynly.png:large

tumblr_ng4s93iwop1qkv3fno1_400.png

Does anyone actually read MAL reviews to learn if a show is good or not?. Most MAL reviews are super cringey to me.

I doubt many in here do. I already know people in here I can ask for recs and know they have something good to say when they type up something huge. Also a ton of reviews and recs on MAL are joke ones.

Also being able to review something when it's not done (OR EVEN OUT) is stupid. Individual episodes? Sure. Extremely long series like One Piece? Why not. 1 cour anime series? lol.

TUSR

Banned
Does anyone actually read MAL reviews to learn if a show is good or not?. Most MAL reviews are super cringey to me.
I think I've already told this story, I wrote a review for Patema Inverted. Gave it a generous 6/10 and my review said "what a disappointing shitty movie."

Mod deleted my review, and threatened to ban my account.

MAL reviews are serious.

Quasar

I don't I generally just use overall ranking in genre and what its compared to to get a sense of whether I might like trying it. Though it was used much more when I was starting out than now, as I've seen/tried most things in the genres I like that the community is fond for.

But then I tend to not use reviews in media as buying advice. Especially now where with most media I can sample before I buy. I guess film is an exception, but I feel I'm experienced enough to get a sense from trailers and other details to get a sense for whether I'd like a film.

Quasar

I think I've already told this story, I wrote a review for Patema Inverted. Gave it a generous 6/10 and my review said "what a disappointing shitty movie."

Mod deleted my review, and threatened to ban my account.

MAL reviews are serious.

If you gave it a 6 , it couldn't have been that shitty :)

Jex

No. I don't think just judging the aggregate reviews of a variety of unknown anime watchers is a good method for learning whether something is good or not. I mean, I can understand people using it as a way of learning what's popular, but it's certainly not going to tell you what's worth your time.

Jintor

As with video games, I think the only real way to use reviews is to find people whose tastes are either similar to yours or where you understand how they arrive at their opinions (for instance, I honestly do find DTL's nonsensical patter useful because I understand the things he likes) and to factor that into anything you read.

Alongside as Quasar says your own judgement about what sample media is available.

No. I don't think just judging the aggregate reviews of a variety of unknown anime watchers is a good method for learning whether something is good or not. I mean, I can understand people using it as a way of learning what's popular, but it's certainly not going to tell you what's worth your time.
The way I go about it with new shows is, a month or so before a season starts I'll look up what's gonna be on. I'll look at the poster and description, see if it peaks my interest. If so, I'll write the name down on my phone (I have an "upcoming anime" list). Once the season starts, I'll give them a try and judge for myself whether I find the shows entertaining or not. Other shows that weren't on my list, or older stuff I get through word of mouth or even through here. I don't really read reviews or use MAL other than to look up information about what's on currently.

Arslan Senki - 08

I like the strategic plans Narsus hatches and executes, and how well he can read people and their actions. Keikaku of any kind is my g-spot, so this episode was to my liking.
I was a bit disappointed with the fight between
Daryun and Kharlan
though. There is a post credit scene, so don't bounce at credits.

cajunator

Banned
The way I go about it with new shows is, a month or so before a season starts I'll look up what's gonna be on. I'll look at the poster and description, see if it peaks my interest. If so, I'll write the name down on my phone (I have an "upcoming anime" list). Once the season starts, I'll give them a try and judge for myself whether I find the shows entertaining or not. Other shows that weren't on my list, or older stuff I get through word of mouth or even through here. I don't really read reviews or use MAL other than to look up information about what's on currently.

I have a rather simple method.
if the show immediately interests me I will put it at the forefront of my watchlist. Reviews have no bearing on my choices. Its a gut feeling and little else.

H20: Footprints in the Sand[/B] 06
Well, things got resolved between the two girls, at least for now. Now they'll stop bullying and beating the shit out of her.
Also new hairstyle for main heroine.
sHmydHOm.png
BX0UzBcm.png

Episode 8
It went to real weird place, magical girl, 4th wall breaking but it made sort of sense in the end. Good scene at the end, music was great and sad. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T7Yyi62yEMs
Also, it is VN originally. That's where the good bgm comes from.

Anime GAF is the center of the Cross Ange fandom.

We know greatness.

If something is below a 7 on MAL then I know something is wrong with that show.

Some of my favourite shows are below a 7 on MAL:

- Goldfish Warning!
- Sazae-san
- Robot Girls Z
- Marie and Gali
- Mobile Suit Gundam ZZ
- Pupipo!

Then there's Mirai Mizue's work like Wonder which are also rated under 7/10 average too.

Just because it's below some arbitrary average rating on MAL doesn't mean there is something wrong with a show. People can find some good in everything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom