• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2015 |OT| The Disappearance of YEAARRT!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mandelbo

I felt that the jokes in SYD started wearing thin around episode 7, so I never bothered finishing it - the ED is great, though, and I remember the OP being pretty decent too. The B Gata H Kei manga is really enjoyable though, I should get around to watching the anime at some point.

I felt that the jokes in SYD started wearing thin around episode 7, so I never bothered finishing it - the ED is great, though, and I remember the OP being pretty decent too. The B Gata H Kei manga is really enjoyable though, I should get around to watching the anime at some point.

SYD , updates his running jokes by introducing more characters to the mix
If you have a tolerance for this kind of material , there shouldn't be any problem , but not everyone has that much tolerance.

Jintor

the important thing with syd is to take breaks in between seasons. otherwise you will undoubtedly overload because it never really changes its schtique

Grisaia no Rakuen - 06

Michiru is still clueless. This new base is not that much different from the previous place.
Also that perfectly timed cliffanger so you could guess WTf is going on during several weeks.

kewlmyc

I'm shocked by the lack of Durarara on people's posts. Did everyone drop it last season?

Avoid, the cast is annoying and aggravating. I couldnt stand the unfair physical abuse of one of the leads.

I agree on the physical violence humor being bad, but the rest of the series is really good and funny. Give it 3 episodes.

Tizoc

oKrzhbF.gif

Who is this slattern?
The animation interests me.

cajunator

Banned
Here's one:

Two:

Let's not forget this one:

NOW, who's the best girl again?

Guess its about time I watch this show.

She is. I was ready to hate her but I have been won over.

Speaking of Sagami, I wonder if shell make an appearance this season since she and her cronies are on the ending theme animation.

Went from:

"Sorry not happening, I have someone I like" to
"Youre being too obvious! Its creepy and really not happening!" to
"That nearly made my heart skip a beat but its not happening!" to
"I like older guys but I cant!"

Wonder what the 5th one will be haha.

They're practically a couple in this scene. Its so misleading without context.

tumblr_no0vfzFQUe1qet0cro1_540.gif

tumblr_no0vfzFQUe1qet0cro3_540.gif

This is a pretty good argument for choosing her.

I'm planning to purchase the Stein's Gate VN when it releases in PSN sometime this June. Do you guys think it's a better experience to play the VN before the anime or vice versa? I'm planning to add it to my watch list.

The anime is excellent. I havent played the VN but honestly I cant see how the anime is representative of a mess when it is so good.

My current list for summer is as follows:

My list currently looks identical.

I'm willing to give them a chance, just because I liked Battle of Gods so much.

Don't let Toei into your hearts. Their only goal is to pray on your nostalgia and hope that you'll gain some amount of hope for their next project being good for the sole purpose of turning all your happy feelings into ash.

phaze

Toei has two shows in my Top10. More than anyone sans Gainax so clearly they're a great company.

Just look at their godly work in Saint Seiya: Soul of Gold. They really did justice to the original show !

Summer shows that have passed my incredibly high standard bar

Will watch:
Non Non Biyori Repeat - more renge
Gakkou Gurashi - loli zombie apocalypse survivor or something, I expect suffering
Gangsta - looks neat
Gate - tank n elf
Umaru-chan - seems like it'll be fun and Dogakobo
Prison School - all the buzz around it
Monster Musume - :)

Checking out:
Ushio to Tora - mappa, that long hair and a big ass super saiyan tiger
Shimoneta to Iu Gainen - she's pretty much naked
Overlord - skeleton dude might be cool
Bikini Warriors - brown elf, I can smell the trash from here
God Eater - need to wash away fate
Ranpo Kidan - looks spooky, nice butt (not sure if girl)

Disappointment:
Valkyrie yuri soul eater noragami thing apparently wasn't summer

Yes I'm bored at work.

javac

You might also like to check out Burn Up W, Bubblegum Crisis, and Youre Under Arrest.

Never heard of Burn up W, which is a surprise as I'm usually on the top of things like this, thanks for that recommendation. The girls look a bit more 'anime' compared to the more trendy Gunsmith characters or the more grounded You're Under Arrest characters, but I'll give it a shot! :) Bubblegum Crisis is something I'm going to get on BD before watching it. You're Under Arrest is also something that I've been eager to watch for a long time ass time, the characters look really cool, love the uniforms! :)

Avoid, the cast is annoying and aggravating. I couldnt stand the unfair physical abuse of one of the leads.
She doesn't mean it ..it's the clearest case of an abusive relationship in anime.
DO.IT.FOR.HER

My list currently looks identical.
My list is as follows:
WILL WATCH
  • Akagami no Shirayuki-hime
  • Dragon Ball Chou
  • Fate kaleid 2wei Herz
  • Getchaman Crows Insigh
  • Gate
  • Monster Musume
  • NonNon Biyori Repeat
  • Overlord
  • To Love- ru darkness2nd
  • Working!!!
MAYBE
  • Aoharu x Kikanjuu
  • Chaos Dragon
  • Charlotte
  • Classroom crisis
  • Gakkou Gurashi
  • God eater
  • Kangoku gakuen
  • Kuusen Madoushi Koukosei no Kyoukan
  • Ranpo Kitan
  • Rokka no Yuusha
FOR THE LAUGH ONLY
  • Bikini warrior ( will probably hate it )
  • Aquarion Logos
Don't let Toei into your hearts. Their only goal is to pray on your nostalgia and hope that you'll gain some amount of hope for their next project being good for the sole purpose of turning all your happy feelings into ash.
Toei has two shows in my Top10. More than anyone sans Gainax so clearly it's a great company.

Just look at their godly work in Saint Seiya: Soul of Gold. They really did justice to the original show !

Toei is capable of the best ( precure heartcatch ) and the worst ( precure : max heart, yes5 )

Don't fight toei , embrace it ... Just avoid the bad shows

Toei is capable of the best ( precure heartcatch ) and the worst ( precure : max heart, yes5 )

Don't fight toei , embrace it ... Just avoid the bad shows

The problem is that in the last few years, Toei has veered extremely far into the bad category. Not just in declining production values, but also in how they've treated their revivals of old franchises. Sailor Moon Crystal and Digimon Adventure Tri were both massive middle fingers to fans of the originals, and I have little doubt that Dragon Ball Super will follow suit.

Havent really checked out the list for summer but off the bat:

- Non Non Biyori S2 (most hyped)
- Charlotte (more PA Works)
- Working 3
- Any spring shows I'm watching that continue

Oh I had no idea the new DragonBall is gonna start this summer. Definitely that as well.

Mission complete.

The problem is that in the last few years, Toei has veered extremely far into the bad category. Not just in declining production values, but also in how they've treated their revivals of old franchises. Sailor Moon Crystal and Digimon Adventure Tri were both massive middle fingers to fans of the originals, and I have little doubt that Dragon Ball Super will follow suit.

eh, what? Did I miss something?

Shigurui - 07-12 [Finale]
SuI7xnw.png

The story begins in 1629 and we're introduced to the two main characters Gennosuke Fujiki (on the left) and Seigen Irako, who are about to fight each other in a tournament. Fujiki, accompanied by the woman Mie Iwamoto, is without a left arm, while Irako has a cripple right leg in addition to being blind. Irako himself was accompanied by Lady Iku. After they take their stances though, the anime dives into history between these four characters, which is where the story actually takes place. There we get to see a rivalry unfold between the two mains who strive to learn the secret technique of the Kogan-Ryuu school's master Kogan Iwamato as well as becoming his successor.

While this doesn't sound particularly unique for an anime, it ended up being just that thanks to the much more grounded approach and really well done portrayal of a rather dark and messed up setting. This type of show could easily be seen as edgy with merely gratuitous violence and nudity, but instead the really strong direction—also damn atmospheric OST—really drove it home.

The visuals feature a lot of dark and bright contrasts as well as muted colors, with the exception of more symbolic scenes and the usually bright red blood. The light sources radiate brightly, even in the darker scenes, and during daytime the heat and brightness of the sun is quite apparent. Nice lighting and shading. The characters are pretty detailed with clearly visible noses and somewhat distinct facial features, though there were still times when I was slightly unsure whether I was looking at Fujiki or Irako. Overall top visuals from Madhouse.

Special mention should also go to the 'Xray' flashes that reveal some pretty detailed anatomy and looked great.

So I've mentioned above that this show is much more grounded in reality than Naruto & co. with no real magical powers and the likes. That said, it doesn't go some completely realistic route either so don't expect that. There's still a lot of ridiculously talented samurai and when
someone relatively freshly blinded (~3 years) manages to murder supposedly extremely skilled other individuals without any hassle
then you just have to suspend your disbelief quite a bunch. But it's still grounded enough for me to feel engaged. That's also to a large part because the characterization is quite good in this show and I was eager to see how everything plays out.

The combat for the most part really came down to having the proper stance and then striking quickly to take out the opponent which was a bit monotone in the long run but was not only fairly interesting conceptually but really well executed too. There certainly wasn't a lack of tension, which can be partially credited to the unforgiving nature of this show. When you know the two main characters will end up somewhat crippled eventually and plenty characters take a good beating, no one feels quite save. It's also not like the pacing is ever terrible. It can be slow but deliberately so and not to a fault.

Here an example from episode 3: link

Now the largest issue I have with this anime is that it ends before telling the entire story. While the final episode is half decent for a breakpoint, it was still obviously left in the middle of nowhere and after some research it turns out the anime adapted 31 chapters of the 84 from the manga. So yeh, that kinda just sucks, especially since this series ran in 2007 and I suppose getting a sequel is highly unlikely :/

With that, Shigurui gets a 8/10 from me as. It's a very good, quite unique show that I'd recommend to anyone somewhat interested in the premise and that can stomach violence and nudity. A pity the anime doesn't tell the entire story, though.

Hello!! Kiniro Mosaic 8
Just when I was thinking that the show's humor hasn't been as strong lately, they put out a really funny episode. The was the best episode of the season.

I'm still satisfied with precure.

You mean something else matters ?

Kiniro Mosaic episode 8

Honoka was this close to
fucking Karen's blond hair.
I think she was just going to taste it.
Hello!! Kiniro Mosaic 8
Just when I was thinking that the show's humor hasn't been as strong lately, they put out a really funny episode. The was the best episode of the season.

I think it was without a doubt the weakest of this season.

cajunator

Banned
prisma illya 2wei herz

Glorious. Yall dont get banned!

Can somebody explain to me what the series with the chibi-Saber in the bear suit is supposed to be about and why people are hype for it? I know nothing about it.

It looks fun and adorable. what other reason is needed?

Kono Subarashii Sekai ni Shukufuku o! TV anime by DEEN, directed by Takaomi Kanasaki, series composition Makoto Uezu , character design Koichi Kikuta

http://sneakerbunko.jp/series/konosuba/

Will watch for cuties.

Plastic Memories 03

Who the hell buys herbs as a present lol.
This show is pretty dynamic and colorful though, I'll watch more.

Plastic Memories 04

I liked that they baked the boy a cake to remind him of
his dead mother
, Happy birthday kid.

faridmon

So which show is worth the watch beside SNAFFU this season? I haven't kept up with the current ins and outs of Anime.
Oh and apparently Durarararara S2 is very tame compared to the first one :/

Apart from the Ecchi Cooking one and KyoAnie's attempt to have another K-on hit!

phaze

You picked a really unflattering angle. He can be really cute when he tries to !

Glad you didn't regret giving it a chance.
Spilling brains
have never before been so poetic !
Just realised Fujiki's voice actor also did Waver from F/Z and Hisoka. Weird.

So which show is worth the watch beside SNAFFU this season? I haven't kept up with the current ins and outs of Anime.

Apart from the Ecchi Cooking one and KyoAnie's attempt to have another K-on hit!

Kekkai Sensen/Blood Blockade Battlefront and Jojo are alright.

Drrr s2 has been just poor so far unfortunately. ;(
---

Nothing really stands out to me in the Summer. Will check Prison School, Gangsta and Durarara but I'm not expecting much out of any of them. Animu is kaput.

The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya 23
004652guuop.png

Drugging your female friend and forcing her to make out is bad ? How dare you Kyon !

She finally broke him. It's good to know that even Kyon has a line behind which he refuses to be dragged. Even by Haruhi. Too bad
they made up at the end.

Watch the first three episodes of Plastic Memories and see if you like it. It has a lot of tonal shifts though.

Hibike is nothing like K-on BTW. Give it a try and maybe you'll enjoy it.

So which show is worth the watch beside SNAFFU this season?
My personal opinion, I watch other stuff too but these are the must watch (and I'm even throwing in the week days they are on):

Tuesday
- Euphonium

Friday  
- SNAFU (which you already watch)
- DanMachi
- Shokugeki no Soma

Saturday
- Kekkai Sensen

Sunday    
- Arslan Senki

Andrew J.

Summer Watchlist:

Aquarion Logos
Durarara Ten
Prisma Illya Zwei Herz
Non Non Biyori S2
Symphogear GX

And whichever of Bikini Warriors, Prison School, and Monster Musume gets the most positive impressions.

Punch Line is pretty awesome.

Cornbread78

We have succeeded AnimeGAF. A new member for #teamIroha

You're just going to make Yui cry more..

Cajun, it's time. Season 1 awaits you. Season Too has been even better thus far.. Enjoy it, it is a very thought provoking series and may catch you off-guard at time with how you may have dealt with things..

Grzi

Not a lot of people seem to be excited about Ushio to Tora. I expect it to be one of the better titles of the season.

cajunator

Banned
Finally someone lists Miss Monochrome.

My summer list is also short. But continuing to watch the card games animes too. Drrr and Junjou are what Ik most excited for.

Miss Monochrome Second Season
God Eater
Durarara!! x2 Ten
Gate
Chaos Dragon
Gatchaman Crowds: Insight
Charlotte
Aquarion Logos
Kuusen Madoushi Kouhosei no Kyoukan
Gangsta
Junjou Romantica 3
Ushio to Tora
Rokka no Yuusha
Overlord
Prison School
Akagami no Shirayuki hime
Aoharu x Kikanjuu

Wait what?! Miss monochrome yesssssssssssssssssssssss!
Summer saved!

Thankies.

Wagnaria is leaving Crunchyroll on Sunday. Worth watching?

This makes me sad. This is the sorta reason why I dont like the idea of things going digital only. What other avenues would there be to watch Wagnaria from now on without a physical release?

sonicmj1

If quality is measured in the amount of posts generated on AnimeGAF, then SNAFU and Is it Wrong to Pick Up Girls in a Dungeon? are the clear frontrunners for best show of the season.

Personally, my favorite shows are Euphonium (which feels much more Hyouka than K-On to me) and Blood Blockade Battlefront. Not the strongest season, though.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Yui is doomed

She's 3rd in line behind superior Yukino and drastically superior Iroha

If quality is measured in the amount of posts generated on AnimeGAF, then SNAFU and Is it Wrong to Pick Up Girls in a Dungeon? are the clear frontrunners for best show of the season.

Personally, my favorite shows are Euphonium (which feels much more Hyouka than K-On to me) and Blood Blockade Battlefront. Not the strongest season, though.

Seems like there are a lot of adaptations of material where people already know what's going on so there's less discussion on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom