• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2015 |OT| The Disappearance of YEAARRT!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
I was at an anime convention over the weekend, ended up seeing some Bubblegum Crisis for the first time.

I really want to watch this now.

Ooof done with Witcher 3. Time to come back to the otaku age.

I should stop doing the side stuff. Man there's people already done?! I'm still doing level 12 sidequests here. Don't ask me how many hours I've played because the in-game clock is broken, but I've pretty much been playing every night since launch for a good 3-4 hours.

Dungeon Harem 8

HOLY. FUCKING. SHIT.

Who would have guessed that the anime filled with harem and fantasy anime tropes would end up being this awesome? Seriously even if you don't watch the series I'd recommend watching this episode, the fight scene was really gripping and had a lot of weight to it. Best fight scene I've watched in a while. This show. God damn. This show.

Ah, sounds like they went for the Bioware route.

Not really. On hard and very hard you get less experience per side quest and game mechanics get harder. People are really struggling unless you know what you're doing.

I should stop doing the side stuff. Man there's people already done?! I'm still doing level 12 sidequests here. Don't ask me how many hours I've played because the in-game clock is broken, but I've pretty much been playing every night since launch for a good 3-4 hours.

I was playing more than that per day if it makes you feel better. The obsession was real but I'm finally done and can take a rest haha.

Saudades

AnimeGAF hypes up Mad Max and it turns out to be just an okay film with really good music.

Well these are the same people that said Cowboy Bebop was a good anime, and we saw how bad that turned out. Its reasons why one should see Tomorrowland instead.
What world did I just woke up to...
Tis' not a lovely day indeed.

Yeah, good luck with reading the rest of the manga. It really goes...places.
Yeah some of the subplots kinda go nowhere (especially the one with that...girl). But I think at least it still resolves the main fight pretty well.

I was playing more than that per day if it makes you feel better. The obsession was real but I'm finally done and can take a rest haha.
Okay that does make me feel a little better. These days I don't do long video game sessions, so I can see this either lasting me a very long time... Or having it join my other unfinished stuff. Either way I'd say I'm only in the beginning
my last story mission was in Velen, I'm trying to free Dandelion.
This was about 10 or so hours ago in-game, again I keep doing side quests lol. I find all these side stories so goddamn interesting.

Acosta

Dungeon ni Deai 8

That was some fucking amazing action, I like how this show is able to take himself seriously and going beyond Hestia awesomeness and cute girls.

Bell is really a great character. Loving the show.

Dungeon Harem 8

HOLY. FUCKING. SHIT.

Who would have guessed that the anime filled with harem and fantasy anime tropes would end up being this awesome? Seriously even if you don't watch the series I'd recommend watching this episode, the fight scene was really gripping and had a lot of weight to it. Best fight scene I've watched in a while. This show. God damn. This show.

Brother!

AnimeGAF hypes up Mad Max and it turns out to be just an okay film with really good music.

Thanks, I guess.

Well these are the same people that said Cowboy Bebop was a good anime, and we saw how bad that turned out. Its reasons why one should see Tomorrowland instead.

What_the_Fuck_am_I_reading.png

Neon Genesis Evangelion - 10

So in this episode NERV tries to catch an Angel before it hatches, so they send Asuka to do some super mecha scuba diving.

I think the biggest question on my mind for this show is what exactly the Angels are. Like, where did these things come from? If they're showing up from like, beneath the earth and within the sea or something, they're not invaders from outer space or anything.

Are they being controlled? If so, who's controlling them?

They're just these deformed things that just show up and attack. That's it.

Considering some of the "things", I've heard about this show and how it ends, I don't assume I'll receive a particularly decent answer for these questions.

John Blade

Vision of Escaflowne 01-26 Complete

Have no idea who recommended this (probably someone in this thread) but I've slowly managed to get my way through it. It's a bit more shoujo than I would've liked but overall I don't regret the time I spent watching it.

The animation is truly superb, and that is very upsetting. It's like watching an old video of an extinct bird, you are awed at the graciousness of it's flight, but saddened by a real sense of loss. There's also an odd sense of nostalgia - like many here I grew up on 90's anime and Escaflowne embodies a lot of that distinct style that has been lost in the ravages of time.

The show starts off with our standard highschool protagonist transported into a fantasy world, but unlike the modern incarnation of this trope with SAO (and the million other coattail riders), there isn't that disgusting sense of the world being constructed as a means of masturbatory wish fulfilment. Rather, we are quickly shown a reality of war and death in quite graphic detail and the main charter is often sidelined to powerlessly watch horrors unfold. The world of Gaea is constructed very basically, with no complex political or economic systems being explored, and it feels that at times the array of beast men only exist for padding. However at the same time what is shown is done rather well, with a very nice array of scenes and settings which give an understanding of the various locales and the culture of the people who live there.

The mecha battles are very, very nice. There is a lot less weight to deal with than Gundam, which words very nicely with the way the battles play out and the human.The lack of Pokemon backgrounds during battles is also incredible, allowing us to see the full detail of the battles. Mecha design is very good, with the titular Escaflowne looking unique without being overdesigned or burdened with ridiculous design elements. The dragon form much less so but not really an issue. All the mecha from the various countries are also unique looking, with it being very clear which mech is which even in dark or far off shot scenes.

The female characters are OK, with only Merleru (or whatever that cat girl is called) standing out as particularly bad. Like most non anime fiction et in this type of world the women are afforded a large degree of autonomy and technical ability. I think it works well in generally keeping the women off the battlefield as we expect from these sort of medieval style fiction, but not making them purely window dressing or overly annoying. They do talk a bit too much about their feelings for the men though, and a lot of their plot points can be a bit too entwined with the question of which man will they get with.The romance is pretty standard for a shoujo, with the girl being torn between two pretty boys. They do go off track into unfamiliar territory with the character with the love child, but they quickly and bizarrely at the last second return to the standard trope nonsense of romantic love conquers all. Interstellar pls.

I would've liked to see more scenes of how the MC's family were dealing with her having disappeared. I'm not a fan of the way they handled it. I really loved those scenes in Xamd Lost Memories, where his mother and father search tirelessly to find their missing son, as I think it helps add weightiness to the show, and not just have it being an extended dream state where you are gone for a while but you come back and nothing changed.

The music is great, with a nice collection of memorable themes for different situations and moods.

As I alluded to before, the ending isn't very good. The romance suddenly goes back to standard, a huge plot element is created at the last second and then dropped as if it isn't extremely significant
the nuke
but worst of all Dilandeu being
Allen's sister
was complete and utter unredeemable bullshit. What did that add to the show? The ending comes suddenly and makes the show feel like it rushed to a conclusion.

8.5/10

The show have it's own flaw which some you have explain in this review. Still, I do like the mech fight scene and might be one of the realistic mech battle of how it move and fight. Unlike other mecha anime show, they don't really show how the mecha is been move by the pilot except by control which doesn't feel right and realistic as you watch. The battle with the two mech on Escaflowne have this feel of weight which you expect from two heavy suit fighting. This just me talking about something you don't care.

Still, do like the show with the flaws but love the music quite a bit. They have some of the great music which I still listen to once a while like the link below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tfkqkVMEqmk
Escaflowne - Farewell

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FTQ3asOb4wU
Escaflowne - Romance

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=92U6zxybTig
Escaflowne - Arcadia

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fv50DzU2l4s
Escaflowne - Gloria

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_49H_N43jQ
Escaflowne - Dance of Curse (aka: battle music you hear)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rHZA3DUAVdo
Escaflowne - Eyes

Still, I am glad you love the show.

Jarmel

Banned
Kekkai Sensen-8

Wow. This was the best episode yet. Everything was on point; the direction, the music, the comedy, and the action. The music especially this episode was fantastic.

Well damn. I really didn't expect this episode to be this good.
Zx1PyyK.jpg

I'm loving Kimura's art direction.
Seems like they're going to be delivering the goods for the two-parter.

Cornbread78

Dungeon Harem 8

HOLY. FUCKING. SHIT.

That fight was amazing! The music, the animation, the facial expressions even down to the audience there, the little details in their conversation while watching and the importance of the battle to Bell were well done and amazing to watch.

There were also so many little details you pick up on when you watch it several times.
like the Minotaur's right hand blowing off after the second internal Firebolt (someone here noticed that firsy, lol) the way he throws Lili's lifeless body, (poor Lili.) and the mind zero stasis he ended up in
not to mention Aiza calling his
safety and killshot
awesome awesome awesome...

javac

Bebop is fucking good, but I've seen soo much awesome shit since I last watched Bebop which was over 5 years ago that I don't really care for it anymore. Even in the OST department, I'm just tired of Bebop. It's good, its fucking great, but so much other amazing shit is out there that its a disservice to them all to hold Bebop as the one and true savior of anime like a lot of people do.

Bebop is fucking good, but I've seen soo much awesome shit since I last watched Bebop which was over 5 years ago that I don't really care for it anymore. Even in the OST department, I'm just tired of Bebop. It's good, its fucking great, but so much other amazing shit is out there that its a disservice to them all to hold Bebop as the one and true savior of anime like a lot of people do.

I still do

javac

I still do

That's obviously fine, its a mighty good show to say the least, but it gets tiring when you hear people act as if anime doesn't matter outside of Bebop and Eva, and that comes from my stupid closed off ass, the guy who doesn't watch a load of shit for no reason whatsoever is saying this for pete's sake. I think it's good, but I don't have orgasms whenever I see it, and I get the impression a lot of people do, which is fine I guess :p

Tomorrowland deserves to be seen though, we need to give sci-fi movies more of a chance.

Nothing from the trailers appealed to me and then critics didn't really like it either. So unless GAF or the internet as a whole makes it its mission to tell me it's better than reviews give it credit for,r I won't.

I mean it happened with Marco Polo

Feels like I'd get tied up and used as blood bag if I admit Age of Ultron was more entertaining to watch.

Age of Ultron was like a transformers clusterfuck of action. I was never on the edge of my seat or enthralled by any scene.

Crocodile

Thanks for answering my questions from before everyone. Hopefully I didn't cause a shitstorm :p

Also, there's a new "anime is doomed" thread in OT so ............ yeah..........

javac

Ultron was the type of movie that bored me, but I didn't want to admit that I was bored at the tim, so I held a half arsed smile on my face. Didn't like it at all. Loved Captain America 2 outside of the last act, which was a bit meh. Never saw GotG which I regret, was too busy at the time to go to the cinema.

Feels like I'd get tied up and used as blood bag if I admit Age of Ultron was more entertaining to watch.

As you should

Thanks for answering my questions from before everyone. Hopefully I didn't cause a shitstorm :p

Also, there's a new "anime is doomed" thread in OT so ............ yeah..........

"Hideaki Anno predicts decline of anime in 5 to 20 years"

Who gives a shit about what Anno says after 3.33? It's no secret he fucking hates anime and all the people who have ever watched anything he made.

Ultron was the type of movie that bored me, but I didn't want to admit that I was bored at the tim, so I held a half arsed smile on my face. Didn't like it at all. Loved Captain America 2 outside of the last act, which was a bit meh. Never saw GotG which I regret, was too busy at the time to go to the cinema.

Guardians of the Galaxy is up there for many people. I'd argue plenty say it's their favorite Marvel film (myself included). You could always rent it/buy it. It isn't anything that HAS to be watched in theaters.

javac

Anno's not wrong and I have no fucking clue what 3.33 has to do with any of that, but sure. Maybe your regard for his directing and film-making has dwindled after that film, but I think he knows a thing or two about the industry. He's always been negative for sure, but why wouldn't he be? The industry has been in a need of a shake up for a long ass time, and it has less to do with the quality of shows and "hur dur anime was batter in tha past" and more to do with the other factors that aren't sustainable or attracting new talent. It's been the case for a while. Nobody, not even Anno insinuated that anime would disappear entirely, but that the rest of the world are catching up, and like in the technology segment, Japan are and have fallen behind.

Kekkai Sensen Episode 9 Preview
http://youtu.be/5NwCd-kWyXg

Why is the OST for this series so goddamn amazing? Did I just here some tribal music in the preview goddamn. It's been a long time since I've heard an OST as diverse and brilliant as this. I really don't think there will be a OST this whole year that will be able to rival Kekkai's, no way. Best soundtrack for this season and probably this whole year.

Goddamnit I have to wait till July 15 for it to release.

As you should

"Hideaki Anno predicts decline of anime in 5 to 20 years"

Who gives a shit about what Anno says after 3.33? It's no secret he fucking hates anime and all the people who have ever watched anything he made.

Doesn't he pander to the Otaku even though he hates them.

javac

Guardians of the Galaxy is up there for many people. I'd argue plenty say it's their favorite Marvel film (myself included). You could always rent it/buy it. It isn't anything that HAS to be watched in theaters.

I hear that a lot, in regards to the film being amazing, I will watch it no doubt. It'd be stupid to miss it just because I can't see it on the big screen, but I'm in less of a rush now to see it right now. I'll get it on BD one day, I don't do rents/streaming! :p

Jarmel

Banned
Why is the OST for this series so goddamn amazing? Did I just here some tribal music in the preview goddamn. It's been a long time since I've heard an OST as diverse and brilliant as this. I really don't think there will be a OST this whole year that will be able to rival Kekkai's, no way. Best soundtrack for this season and probably this whole year.

Goddamnit I have to wait till July 15 for it to release.

Iwasaki has put in good work. Going outside the industry is seemingly paying off in spades for the show both on a quality and sales front.

Neon Genesis Evangelion - 10

So in this episode NERV tries to catch an Angel before it hatches, so they send Asuka to do some super mecha scuba diving.

I think the biggest question on my mind for this show is what exactly the Angels are. Like, where did these things come from? If they're showing up from like, beneath the earth and within the sea or something, they're not invaders from outer space or anything.

Are they being controlled? If so, who's controlling them?

They're just these deformed things that just show up and attack. That's it.

Considering some of the "things", I've heard about this show and how it ends, I don't assume I'll receive a particularly decent answer for these questions.

Ahahahahahahahahaha...

Yeah uhhh, no you're not. You're really not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom