• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2015 |OT| The Disappearance of YEAARRT!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Doesn't he pander to the Otaku even though he hates them.
Otaku were a mistake . They're nothing but trash.

Bebop is fucking good, but I've seen soo much awesome shit since I last watched Bebop which was over 5 years ago that I don't really care for it anymore. Even in the OST department, I'm just tired of Bebop. It's good, its fucking great, but so much other amazing shit is out there that its a disservice to them all to hold Bebop as the one and true savior of anime like a lot of people do.
Well bebop, in some parts didn't age perfectly ..and some anime did stuff better than beebop before and after it.. i won't argue that there is a potential debate here.
But no way you can convince me that beebop is bad. no way.
And that's the problem i have with DTL comment.
Beebop wouldn't be in my top 10 of best anime. It would be in my top 20 however . Despite it's age , it's a must-watch if you're watching anime IMO.
Why do you think I joined the Marvel cult and surrendered my body and soul to Terra Battle? I have to be prepared.

Now everything make sense.

Crocodile

Anno's not wrong and I have no fucking clue what 3.33 has to do with any of that, but sure. Maybe your regard for his directing and film-making has dwindled after that film, but I think he knows a thing or two about the industry. He's always been negative for sure, but why wouldn't he be? The industry has been in a need of a shake up for a long ass time, and it has less to do with the quality of shows and "hur dur anime was batter in tha past" and more to do with the other factors that aren't sustainable or attracting new talent. It's been the case for a while. Nobody, not even Anno insinuated that anime would disappear entirely, but that the rest of the world are catching up, and like in the technology segment, Japan are and have fallen behind.

Oh I agree with the bolded. The issue is that the discourse of this subject in the OT won't reach above Animewasamistake.gif, "FUCK K'ON!", and "all anime is trash - trust me I'm an expert who hasn't watched a single anime in 15 years!". That's my source of irritation.

ibyea

Banned
Oh I agree with the bolded. The issue is that the discourse of this subject in the OT won't reach above Animewasamistake.gif, "FUCK K'ON!", and "all anime is trash - trust me I'm an expert who hasn't watched a single anime in 15 years!". That's my source of irritation.

Yeah, it's already happened in that thread.

javac

Yeah I agree with you in that front, the discussion will end up meaningless. The animewasamistake meme has run its course.

I am probably the only person in the world who has ever hyped up Cross Ange to be anything but trash

People seem to hold it up as this "so bad its good!" affair, but it doesn't even look to be that.

Quasar

Anno's not wrong and I have no fucking clue what 3.33 has to do with any of that, but sure. Maybe your regard for his directing and film-making has dwindled after that film, but I think he knows a thing or two about the industry. He's always been negative for sure, but why wouldn't he be? The industry has been in a need of a shake up for a long ass time, and it has less to do with the quality of shows and "hur dur anime was batter in tha past" and more to do with the other factors that aren't sustainable or attracting new talent. It's been the case for a while. Nobody, not even Anno insinuated that anime would disappear entirely, but that the rest of the world are catching up, and like in the technology segment, Japan are and have fallen behind.

I do kind of wonder if people will just move onto k-anime or whatever it gets called. I know I've started to read a bit of korean comics, and I don't see why I would not watch animated shows from korea if there were some with subject matter I was keen on.

Risette

A Good Citizen
That's pretty much every OT anime thread. Pretty amazing how many people are so convinced that everything that was made past K-ON has been moeshit without ever looking up a seasonal chart or just simply asking in here
if they don't like k-on they don't deserve to watch good anime anyways

Baalzebup

People seem to hold it up as this "so bad its good!" affair, but it doesn't even look to be that.

Eh, I'll just quote myself from before
Don't worry, Ange will evolve into a terribly entertaining cunt. She is a bitch to the end, but the bitchiness is interlaced with being awesome at times and dropping some righteous burns at other times.

In a way, that show is a epitome of something that can be really bad and really good at the same time, but for different reasons, instead of the more usual "so bad that it's good."

Jintor

I'm not actually sure how K-ON became to be the poster boy for moeshit when Lucky Star and all those Key adaptations came before it

Hell even Azumanga Daioh was before those and people seem to love that

Key is still code for moeshit, but K-On has those production values. Also the second season is less of a gag manga so the dichotemy is funnier.

ibyea

Banned
I do kind of wonder if people will just move onto k-anime or whatever it gets called. I know I've started to read a bit of korean comics, and I don't see why I would not watched animated shows from korea if there were some with subject matter I was keen on.

I was under the impression most of their television animated output were children's shows, though. At least in movies they do seem to have a wider range.

javac

I do kind of wonder if people will just move onto k-anime or whatever it gets called. I know I've started to read a bit of korean comics, and I don't see why I would not watched animated shows from korea if there were some with subject matter I was keen on.

That's the thing, there shouldn't be a disconnect there, and yet there is with a lot of the anime fandom, and fandoms in general. Nobody wants to deviate from the standard mold and try new things. It's why you see people look at you funny when you listen to foreign music or funnily enough, when people watch anime/animated whatever. Everybody is so insular and scared out the 'outside' so everything becomes an echo chamber of sorts.

Otaku were a mistake . They're nothing but trash.

Well bebop, in some parts didn't age perfectly ..and some anime did stuff better than beebop before and after it.. i won't argue that there is a potential debate here.
But no way you can convince me that beebop is bad. no way.
And that's the problem i have with DTL comment.
Beebop wouldn't be in my top 10 of best anime. It would be in my top 20 however . Despite it's age , it's a must-watch if you're watching anime IMO.

Now everything make sense.

But theres nothing in it that makes it a must watch for someone in 2015, or at least in 2013 or 2014 when I saw it. It was just another run of the mill adult characters in an episodic story. One could easily find better takes of the storyline in western novels or even American television, and in anime, might as well just watch Gintama or the better Sket Dance, for episodic stories. Its just really lacking compared to what we expect to see in Modern Anime. I just really disliked the experience, and writing wise, I hated it.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
I'm not actually sure how K-ON became to be the poster boy for moeshit when Lucky Star and all those Key adaptations came before it

Most modern moe titles seem to imitating that soft gauze filter art-style of K-On! specifically.

No such thing.

Lucky Star should be the antithesis for the anti-otaku/anime doomsayers yet K-On attracted all the heat. Probably due to its overwhelming popularity.

Jintor

Come to think of it, I don't know a lot of episodic western television that isn't out and out comedy. it's all serial these days.

Quasar

That's the thing, there shouldn't be a disconnect there, and yet there is with a lot of the anime fandom, and fandoms in general. Nobody wants to deviate from the standard mold and try new things. It's why you see people look at you funny when you listen to foreign music or funnily enough, when people watch anime/animated whatever. Everybody is so insular and scared out the 'outside' so everything becomes an echo chamber of sorts.

Well I think for a lot of people its access and probably childhood experiences. Certainly access is the reason I only got into anime 3-4 years ago. Streaming services allowed me to try this stuff.

And just look at the popular perception of US people refusing foreign content (especially subbed content). A lot of that would come down to what they were exposed to as kids.

For me in Australia we had a broadcast channel devoted to showing non-english content and so I was well accustomed to watching subbed shows and films.

Lucky Star should be the antithesis for the anti-otaku/anime doomsayers yet K-On attracted all the heat. Probably due to its overwhelming popularity.

K-On! gets the hate because it's percieved as the big change in character design for Kyoto Animation (people love bug eyes!) as well as the forefront of Haruhi 2009, which got hate for Endless Eight. It's the target as people saw it preventing more (insert franchise here) adaptation and began really popularizing the whole "not quite" yuri fetish. Insert people upset that the show wasn't full of action and/or drama in S1 and you capture a lot of the hate for the franchise.

Believe it or not, I acted similarly before watching S1 in April 2010. It was my first wake-up in that popular opinion isn't the end-all, be-all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom