• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2015 |OT| The Disappearance of YEAARRT!

Status
Not open for further replies.

javac

Well I think for a lot of people its access and probably childhood experiences. Certainly access is the reason I only got into anime 3-4 years ago. Streaming services allowed me to try this stuff.

And just look at the popular perception of US people refusing foreign content (especially subbed content). A lot of that would come down to what they were exposed to as kids.

For me in Australia we had a broadcast channel devoted to showing non-english content and so I was well accustomed to watching subbed shows and films.

Yeah that's a good point, we're all accustomed to what we grew up with, which is why you see such a huge disconnect between both the old and new generations.

Jintor

I'm glad i watched Lucky Star when I did because I don't think I'd have the tolerance for it now. Well, maybe I would, but maybe not. I think my tastes have changed since then.

Jintor

i first watched evangelion on a shitty crt at 8pm at night on some sweltering summer night while my parents were out. good times. i don't think sbs even ran ads back then so it was probably a whole episode in one go.

Cornbread78

Originally Posted by Baalzebup
Don't worry, Ange will evolve into a terribly entertaining cunt. She is a bitch to the end, but the bitchiness is interlaced with being awesome at times and dropping some righteous burns at other times.

In a way, that show is a epitome of something that can be really bad and really good at the same time, but for different reasons, instead of the more usual "so bad that it's good."

This is perfect, my knight.

Zephyx

I'm glad i watched Lucky Star when I did because I don't think I'd have the tolerance for it now. Well, maybe I would, but maybe not. I think my tastes have changed since then.

I think I only watched two episodes of Lucky Star when I was young (around 13 y/o) and I gave up two episodes after. It's just not for me.

Lucky Star was once super popular, more then TTGL which aired the same season, at least among the people I knew.

How times change.

It helps that Aniplex re-released it on BD and promoted it alongside Kill la Kill, bringing new awareness while Kadokawa sat on LS and gave it a spinoff about 30 more minutes of footage. Out of sight, out of mind.

Acosta

We'll just have to start making our own anime. Form our own anime studio.

Who wouldn't want to watch a show from AnimeGAF productions?

I'm up for that:

maxresdefault.jpg

Lucky Star was once super popular, more then TTGL which aired the same season, at least among the people I knew.

How times change.
Bah, Lucky Star is one of KyoAni's best shows, or at least it's one of their best on my list... sure, I haven't watched much of their stuff in some time, but Lucky Star is a great show. It's very funny stuff.

Hah, yeah. Lucky Star has the dubious honor of being the only anime I have quit in 5 minutes.
The first half of the first episode isn't much like the rest of the show. I actually kind of wish there was more of that, but there isn't; it's a different show form episode 2 on. More otaku comedy, less ten minutes of talking about chocolate cornets.

I'm not actually sure how K-ON became to be the poster boy for moeshit when Lucky Star and all those Key adaptations came before it

Hell even Azumanga Daioh was before those and people seem to love that
That would be because Azumanga Daioh and Lucky Star are great comedy shows that are very funny beginning to end, while K-On is ... nothing. It's not funny, it's not dramatic, it's just ... nothing. Boring nothing. And nobody in either of those shows is even a fraction as annoying as Yui is.

Really, it's K-On that mostly ended my interest in KyoAni, they haven't been the same since.

So yeah, on my list, K-On is kind of bad, and Lucky Star pretty good.

Jintor

inexplicably for me lucky star became enjoyable after 8 episodes. i would normally never give a show that long, but i didn't exactly have a lot else to do during my dumb part time job at the time

i think it was a combination of a change of directors and also me becoming vaguely attached to the characters.

KazenY2J

Thanks for answering my questions from before everyone. Hopefully I didn't cause a shitstorm :p

Also, there's a new "anime is doomed" thread in OT so ............ yeah..........
The "man-ime" term in there makes me cringe so much.
The assumption that all modern anime is all "loli" too.

Puruzi

Banned
I've pretty much decided to ignore all anime threads in OT because they become echo chambers filled with ignorant people who don't know what they're talking about.

Kadokawa hired Q-Tec to upscale them back in 2011. They're not that great, which is why people have forgotten about them. Funi did license the series last summer, but it's Funi, so expect massive delays.
I'm not a quality nut and Funi's price points sit well with me so I am in eager anticipation. The only thing that could turn me away is if it's as a big of a screw up as how Viz handled Sailor Moon's release. I believe Funi also obtained Haruhi so they have a chokehold on a few of Kyoto Ani's older releases. Just waiting for someone (anyone) to license Hyouka now.

thanks for clarifying how amazing k-on is with this
Even I found this absurd.

I'm done:

I tend to like older anime. Anime from the 80's and 90's. The new stuff just doesn't have that sense of excitement and storytelling. Plus the new chibi styles just aren't for me. I want an adult theme space or dark themed anime. Cross Ange is pretty good, but there's like no way to support it financially. I'd like to see it gain more respect except from die hard fans. It comes off as being too obscure or targeted at an audience. I remember meeting younger people who liked these series that I have never heard of. I like anime classics and movies. I don't get what a lot of newer fans are into.

I wonder how it will come back. I'm older now and I am strict about the movies or episodes I watch. I don't watch everything that's out there and it's not all the time. I do own a few box sets, but there in my own personal collection.

I'm not a quality nut and Funi's price points sit well with me so I am in eager anticipation. The only thing that could turn me away is if it's as a big of a screw up as how Viz handled Sailor Moon's release. I believe Funi also obtained Haruhi so they have a chokehold on a few of Kyoto Ani's older releases. Just waiting for someone (anyone) to license Hyouka now.

Basically,
Kadokawa rights to KyoAni shows (minus Nichijou/Hyouka due to niche interest in NA) = Funimation license
TBS rights to KyoAni (or any) shows (minus AIR/Kanon due to Sojitz issues) = Sentai license
Asahi Broadcasting rights = clusterfuck
Pony Canyon rights = Pony Canyon USA

That's pretty much how it goes with those exceptions listed

jbug617

Banned
Your Lie in April OVA

I wished that it would of been something that happened after the show ends but the flashback is not bad.
It's about how Emi and Takeshi became rivals with Kousei. Then you have some scenes with Kousei and his friends where you can see Kousei change from kid into the robot.

It was bittersweet of the the glimpses of young Kaori because you know what ends up happening to her.

Quasar

Well. Animelab finally pulled the pin on having a subscription tier for their streaming service.

Guess I need to take a closer look and see how complementary it is to my existing CR sub.

The comparison chart leaves me with many questions. Mostly in relation to how 'premium' relates to the beta period access.

Poe's law in full effect.
I like to make jokes but even I know when to stop. (At least i think I do)
Basically,
Kadokawa rights to KyoAni shows (minus Nichijou/Hyouka due to niche interest in NA) = Funimation license
TBS rights to KyoAni (or any) shows (minus AIR/Kanon due to Sojitz issues) = Sentai license
Asahi Broadcasting rights = clusterfuck
Pony Canyon rights = Pony Canyon USA

That's pretty much how it goes with those exceptions listed

Niche says who? Funimation sucks.

Jintor

i've been around again for like a week!

and i'm glad!

i should really look at my animuz and see what long form i've really watched from the last few years. it's mainly been slice of life, healing anime or comedies now that I think about it.

I guess I'm just not in the mood for 'serious storytelling' very often (and shonen animes that run on tend to irritate me)

I've pretty much decided to ignore all anime threads in OT because they become echo chambers filled with ignorant people who don't know what they're talking about.

To be fair though, that'd go for pretty much any niche thing. It's not just picking on anime.

Like, if there was an OT thread about NASCAR, it'd also be 95% posts taking a dump on NASCAR. While a big Nascar fan would be upset and think to himself "Why, if all these ignorant people would just step into NASCAR-GAF and find out all of these amazing things about nascar and getting tips and info from us NASCAR-GAF people with encyclopedic knowledge about nascar... they'd realize how wrong they truly are. They'd embrace and love nascar just like me."

But that's not the world we live in. People take a glance at NASCAR, or a glance at anime, and note the obvious first impressions from the subject and either choose to get invested, or move on. That's not them being terrible people, it's just living life. Most people aren't going to go and take the plunge into a niche and gain super detailed knowledge about it and interact in communities dedicated to that thing and become divested of their "ignorance."

But theres nothing in it that makes it a must watch for someone in 2015, or at least in 2013 or 2014 when I saw it. It was just another run of the mill adult characters in an episodic story. One could easily find better takes of the storyline in western novels or even American television, and in anime, might as well just watch Gintama or the better Sket Dance, for episodic stories. Its just really lacking compared to what we expect to see in Modern Anime. I just really disliked the experience, and writing wise, I hated it.

I'll just say that i really disagree.
I don't even know a anime serie with those "run of the mill " adult characters airing right now.. if i stretch out ( a lot ) , maybe BBB ??

But , hey , your right to disagree just , like my right to disagree with yours. i'll just stop there.

ibyea

Banned
You know the most annoying thing about lowest common denominator complaints in anime? Same stuff happens in American TV. There is a reason reality TV and CSI crap is popular while good shows like Person of Interest is barely hanging on. And yet people treat anime like it's the height of shittiness.

Crocodile

To be fair though, that'd go for pretty much any niche thing. It's not just picking on anime.

Like, if there was an OT thread about NASCAR, it'd also be 95% posts taking a dump on NASCAR. While a big Nascar fan would be upset and think to himself "Why, if all these ignorant people would just step into NASCAR-GAF and find out all of these amazing things about nascar and getting tips and info from us NASCAR-GAF people with encyclopedic knowledge about nascar... they'd realize how wrong they truly are. They'd embrace and love nascar just like me."

But that's not the world we live in. People take a glance at NASCAR, or a glance at anime, and note the obvious first impressions from the subject and either choose to get invested, or move on. That's not them being terrible people, it's just living life. Most people aren't going to go and take the plunge into a niche and gain super detailed knowledge about it and interact in communities dedicated to that thing and become divested of their "ignorance."

Here's the thing - when I come across a subject I know every little about and I know I'm not interested in learning more about it, I don't jump into the conversation and start spouting ignorant shit. I just don't participate. I've only watched NASCAR a few times on TV and it never held my attention for very long. I'm not particularly interested in learning more about NASCAR either. As such, I've never posted in a NASCAR related topic on GAF. People are under no obligations to give a single shit about anime. However, if they don't, it would be nice if they wouldn't pretend they have any idea what they are talking about or that their opinions are relevant.

Zephyx

I don't even know a anime serie with those "run of the mill " adult characters airing right now.. if i stretch out ( a lot ) , maybe BBB ??

But , hey , your right to disagree just , like my right to disagree with yours. i'll just stop there.

I think I remember watching Cowboy Bebop when I was in grade school. At the time, I thought it was some kind of Lupin 3 ripoff but I still enjoyed it for what it is (though I don't really remember the story but I remember the characters' names). I haven't really gone back to rewatch it as I think I won't enjoy it as my tastes have changed. I also think the humor is a bit outdated.

Here's the thing - when I come across a subject I know every little about and I know I'm not interested in learning more about it, I don't jump into the conversation and start spouting ignorant shit. I just don't participate. I've only watched NASCAR a few times on TV and it never held my attention for very long. I'm not particularly interested in learning more about NASCAR either. As such, I've never posted in a NASCAR related topic on GAF. People are under no obligations to give a single shit about anime. However, if they don't, it would be nice if they wouldn't pretend they have any idea what they are talking about or that their opinions are relevant.

Yeah, that's certainly one way to go about it. I think that's a bit limiting myself, for a discussion forum. I mean, there's threads sometimes where people post some breakthrough NASA experiment or scientific achievement. I wouldn't want to have it be that only people with PhDs can post in those threads. I guess I'm a bit more laissez faire than you when it comes to forum posting. *shrug*

NCR Redslayer

NeoGAF's Vegeta
Yeah, that's certainly one way to go about it. I think that's a bit limiting myself, for a discussion forum. I mean, there's threads sometimes where people post some breakthrough NASA experiment or scientific achievement. I wouldn't want to have it be that only people with PhDs can post in those threads. I guess I'm a bit more laissez faire than you when it comes to forum posting. *shrug*
Also, people tend to hate the things the love. People say a lot of shit about Dark Souls 2 but they still play it and like the game.

It's definitely not everyday run of the mill adult characters because we don't see that a lot so it's really not everyday. Though I'm not saying Anime doesn't have that because it does but it doesn't have a lot of it. But stil run of the mill hmmmm.

Cowboy Bebop is really unique and it's definitely not another run of the mill adult characters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom