• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2015 |OT| The Disappearance of YEAARRT!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Narag

There is no infodump snail to ruin the show. lol

--

Quickie impressions:
Herro Kiniro Mosaic!
The Engrish is back and it is glorious.

The Disappearance of Nagato
I suppose I can see the complaints about the characters essentially losing their "edge" from the original franchise, but I've always maintained that Nagato is the real heroine of the story, so I'm willing to embrace the premise.
Where's your Show by Rock!! impressions??

Battle Block Theater 1

Yeah, this is totally something Nightow would do. Got the style and setting to keep me interested for at least a little while. May have to check out the manga as well.

Sterok

It's Archer's plane, not Tokiomi's. I thought the golden bling bling of it would be a dead giveaway.

Wasn't it establish earlier that Lancer is Berserker's bane? Or was it from the novel?
Lancer's red spear can de-magic everything it touches, including Berserker's magic controlling the plane.

Missed that about the plane. Didn't think Archer could store something that big. Well, he does have all the treasures. Don't think the Lancer thing was ever established in the anime, though the de-magic trick was.

Fate/Zero 22

Waver has a nice fake grandpa. Boy was never truly fit for the war. Kiritsugu doesn't even consider Saber someone. For shame.
And there goes Irisviel. Kind of thought she'd last a little longer.
Waver and Rider really do understand each other. The best duo aside from maybe Kirei and Archer.
So that's what's happening with Irisviel. Not a nice fate. And not a nice one for her daughter.

Sup animuGAF, I think I'd like to start watching anime again so if anyone would be so kind as to tell me where to deposit my hype for this season I'd really appreciate it. Thanks.

Kekkai Sensen aka Blood Blockade Battlefront seems to be receiving some optimistic impressions right now due to the Rie Matsumoto direction/ Shinji Kimura background art/ Bones production power combo.*

Show By Rock seems to be receiving a range of ironic enjoyment(?) to genuine enjoyment impressions, so mileage will certainly vary with its first episode.*

Still waiting on any word of when the new Lupin TV series and Digimon TV series will air, but I'd say there's some optimism, or at least interest, towards both right now.*

* = I have seen none of these yet myself.

Thoraxes

Re-Kan - 01

Inoue for best girl so far. Glad to see her come around by the end lol.

yVwkN57.png

kiunchbb

www.dictionary.com
Wasn't it establish earlier that Lancer is Berserker's bane? Or was it from the novel?
Lancer's red spear can de-magic everything it touches, including Berserker's magic controlling the plane.

I am pretty sure that's from the novel, since I just rewatch Fate/Zero recently and didn't remember reading that.

Zolf

I agree, it's a very nice return to form. It always makes me sad that an intelligent sports show like this constantly loses to stuff like ace of diamond and the volleyball anime. Though it just goes to show the standard cliche moronic main characters that are just gonna try hard with no focus and will be amazing someday is a cliche for a reason as there is apparently very limited appeal for a character who tries hard and is smart enough to figure out what he has to focus on and use his intelligence as a weapon.

note: I still watch ace of diamond and didn't hate the volleyball anime, just vastly prefer baby steps.

Yeah, it's a real shame but I think that many in the target audience would rather see the power of friendship and ridiculous asspulls and don't really have the patience for a more realistic take on things where the protagonist doesn't have a near 100 win %.

Regardless, I'm very happy that Baby Steps is back and it looks like it's headed in a great direction.

Jex

Sup animuGAF, I think I'd like to start watching anime again so if anyone would be so kind as to tell me where to deposit my hype for this season I'd really appreciate it. Thanks.

This doesn't really look it's going to be a particular thrilling season, nevertheless potential candidates for good titles include:

- Blood Blockade Battlefront, which I can only describe as "hella shonen anime".

- Gintama, which should be more of the same and therefore good.

- Ninja Slayer - New Trigger show. Could be good, could be awful.

- Hibike! Euphonium - New KyoAni show. Fingers crossed that it's decent.

Mature

BBB - 1
I feel like this was just barely a taste. Matsumoto is really shining through the material— especially in the sandbox of the odd world. Will probably watch again since I feel like it went by pretty quick.

Battle Block Theater 1

Yeah, this is totally something Nightow would do. Got the style and setting to keep me interested for at least a little while. May have to check out the manga as well.
Totally.

phaze

So I decided to rewatch Blood Blockade Battlefront-1 (mainly because I don't want to watch the remaining bad shows this season). I think it worked better for me the 2nd time. It's kinda fun analyzing Matsumoto's direction especially compared to how lacking the rest of the shows are this season. What makes a great director is how they convey information visually, not just through lines spoken by an actor. Some basic examples would be Takemoto using 1s for Chitanda's introduction in Hyouka, Aoki's storyboarding of the church sequence in episode 21 of Fate/Zero, and tons of stuff with Satoshi Kon. Now I'm certainly not saying that anything presented in this episode is of the caliber of the previous examples but Matsumoto definitely attempts to present as much information as possible. For example:

In this shot, the distance of the camera from the subject emphasizes the number of stairs the subject has climbed and needs to climb. The subject's slumped shoulders point out how tired the character is and how he's struggling to keep moving forward. There are also faces in the balls of light which contradict the body language of the main character, almost as if the faces are mocking him.

Or this bit, which shows the main character going into the underworld and that being symbolized by the lighting in that the character is literally walking into darkness. Also of note is how the background drawings use white but when they start walking further into darkness, the drawings use much more black and the animal images are slightly ominous. I should probably thank Kimura too.

Then there's this shot in which the use of a fisheye camera 'lens' slightly bends the environment around the villain. It draws the viewer's eye to the villain while also highlighting how egotistical the villain and his perspective in that everything revolves around him. There are numerous other examples sprinkled throughout the episode such as these two:

Both scenes use an outside visual element to present the information in some sort of interesting fashion. The first one for example not only again reinforces what Leonard is chasing but also highlights the scale of the monkey by orienting the camera around Leonard's height and the monkey being out of the frame. The 2nd one use the lightning bolts for emphasis so that the viewer knows what the VA is saying is important. It's minor stuff but it adds up to really give a sort of auteur flair to the work, missing in so many of its contemporaries.

Then there are the number of glorious transitions. Rewatching the episode, I caught even more match transitions and depth of focus transitions. The episode is just littered with them. The scene when the action stops and is signified with a blue filter, has the camera zoom through the crowd, which does a good job of showing how multilayered events are in the city. Instead of just having a separate cut with the robber, the zoom process also gives an indication of distance.

The episode also has Matsumoto using her own stuff to elevate things in the manga for example Klaus has an office full of plants in the manga but they're not full of roses or whatever (not a botanist). It makes the later scene after the flashback, with the petals flying everywhere, more visually interesting in addition to the match transition used for the flashback. Also the key secret elevator thing was out of Kyousougiga.

Just wanted to say thanks for this. 99% of this stuff flies above my head. Pretty enlightening.

Who's responsible for Shigurui? Show is so bleak and really shows the ugly side of samurai/that time period. No hip hoping samurai in this one

Being samurai is srs business.

Manga series is done by Takayuki Yamaguchi, who also did Apocalypse Zero and based on the first chapter of something called Suruga-jo Gozen Jiai by Norio Nanjo. Apparently it's novel - or maybe a manga. I haven't been able do decipher that.

Anime came out of Madhouse and was directed by Hiroshi Hamasaki of Terraformars fame. (lul)

TUSR

Banned
I updated the OP and second post, let me know if anything is wrong.

Funi still hasn't officially released times for a few shows.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Sailor Moon Mondays: Sailor Moon S: Episode 94

Episodes like this one are a nice reminder of why Hakura and Michiru almost literally stole the show within their first appearance, though brought a maturity and sophistication that just was not present before now. Also since they are the new characters they need more screentime to establish themselves, such as the case in this episode. Up to this point the Outers have professed to be no allies to the Inners as they obsess over this mysterious mission to find the talismans. Beforehand that at best resulted in apathy and non-interference but now the Outers prove themselves to be downright antagonistic should it be required and they are not afraid to use force. Outside of this, this was a fairly weak episode although kudos for actually using an establish character that we had seen previously for once to give the urgency a more personal connection. Granted Unazaki hasn't been seen in a season, but it is more then a fair number get. Still, middling recommendation to watch at best.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Sailor Moon Mondays: Sailor Moon S: Episode 95

Speaking of extras, this episode is a showcase to Naru and Umino, two characters who wee on the higher end of the supporting cast in season one but now reduced to special guest stars because they lack guardian powers. Indeed this episode is the surprising culmination of a fairly long running sub-plot involving the two of them hooking up. Of course with such reduced screen time and presence one would be hard pressed to really notice it before now, but it isn't something that has come out of nowhere, so kudos for that. Indeed there is something oddly endearing about them as a couple. Also, since is this now the Hakura and Michiru Show with guest stars the Inner Sailor Guardian they of course blow everybody else out of the water couple-wise by a thousand leagues though only Ami seems to have the brains to put together that they really are a couple. Anyway, all and all, this episode is recommend as it give us a rather nice send off for Umino and Naru who are not really going to have this time in the spotlight again.

Erigu

[Shigurui]
Manga series is done by Takayuki Yamaguchi, who also did Apocalypse Zero and based on the first chapter of something called Suruga-jo Gozen Jiai by Norio Nanjo. Apparently it's novel - or maybe a manga. I haven't been able do decipher that.
It's a novel. The following chapters deal with the other fights, and then there's an epilogue of sorts that involves the (few) survivors.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Hmm, I wonder if it'll be a mix of flashback and new stuff?
I mean considering
Alicia and Athena are still in their uniforms but there's also Ai in her trainee outfit as well.

Either way I cannot wait.
Well, Athena is in the PV so they'll have her at the very least...

Exalted

Looks like there will be almost nothing good to watch for me on non extended weekend days(fri-sun) this season.

Will give it a try :
-Dungeon ni Deai
-Denpa Kyoushi
-Kekkai Sensen
-Yamadakun to Nananin no Majo
-Kyoukai no Rinne
-Owari no Seraph
-High DxD

Will watch :
-Nisekoi
-Sidonia no Kishi ( looking most forward to this)
-Shokugeki no Souma

Gintama - 012

Warms my heart to see my small country's culture make it into chinese cartoons.
Lost it when he turned the chair and there was a dummy with a wig. Plenty of funny moments and speeches in this episode.

Quasar

Plastic Memories 1 - What a fucking terrible job. And man I wouldn't be adopting such a human like robot like that if I knew the lifespan was so short, it would be too heartbreaking. That final sequence almost induced tears in me.

Wonder if it will be like that every week. I also guess we'll have it end with MC and his partner running away together Bladerunner style.

After consuming a bunch of #1's I'd almost call it now as my AOTS. Certainly its the best #1 I've watched.

Conan-san

Tapped out of Shingeki No Souma; there's Yakitate Japan food reactions, there's the self same amped up (SnS' manga) and then there's outright underage penetration.
As the old adage goes, you can add spice into a chilli but you can't take it away and JC Staff's opening gambit was to dump the entire canister of the stuff into Souma

Moving on;

Plastic Memories : I liked what I saw with episode one (That one gag at the end being somewhat misplaced) but I'm going to wait and see what the final verdict is on the series as a whole as it could go either way and I'd rather go "oh, that's bad" than regret the time lost.

Show By Rock is absolutely a load of empty calories but I can't hate a show that knows how to actually use CG. If it doesn't go completely spare then I can see this being a decent enough B-Tier show.

Blood Blockade Battlefront : Very good use of assets both in terms of characters and animation. If this can stick for the run time this could easily get to "Next AoT" levels.

Wrong Dungeon : Is it a LN adaption starting Matsuoka Yoshitsugu as the head role? Yes. Does it allow him to actually be funny on a regular basis unlike SAO? Yes.

Yeah, we're good.

Arcadius

Banned
Barakamon

So this was a great entry into what I wanted to watch. I loved every second of it, it was funny, it was sappy and it made me tear up. The dynamic between Handa and the rest of the island was pretty interesting to see, especially since Handa has been doing calligraphy all his life without ever getting out; really interesting. Thanks for recommending it!

Barakamon

So this was a great entry into what I wanted to watch. I loved every second of it, it was funny, it was sappy and it made me tear up. The dynamic between Handa and the rest of the island was pretty interesting to see, especially since Handa has been doing calligraphy all his life without ever getting out; really interesting. Thanks for recommending it!

You should check out Non Non Biyori as well.

Show By Rock!! 1
Well the CG was nice and the show was certainly strange, but I can't say it was very entertaining. I don't think I need to see more of this.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Even those who should be in the know fall victim to it.
for that movie not to be in over these two obscure freakin’ Chinese fuckin’ things that nobody ever freakin’ saw [an apparent reference to the Japanese film The Tale of the Princess Kaguya, as well as the Irish film Song of the Sea]? That is my biggest bitch. Most people didn’t even know what they were! How does that happen? That, to me, is the most ridiculous thing I’ve ever seen.
http://www.cartoonbrew.com/award-se...ters-are-clueless-about-animation-109456.html

It's also an outsourcing joke.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom