• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2015 |OT| The Disappearance of YEAARRT!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Midonin

Pretear 04-13

As far as magical girl series go, this one leans pretty heavily into the romance angle. Especially the love triangle that pops up around Takako. The slapstick comedy elements with Mayune, Tanaka and Yayoi were all downplayed as the show went on, but it was a lot lighter than the key visuals suggested. I can see some of the shades of Sailor Moon and Tutu in it, but the magical girl elements aren't quite as well defined as other franchises. I realize that "well-defined" means "merchandisable" - because outside of the Wind Sword, none of Himeno's combined forms had any physical weapons - which says a fair bit about how magical girl series are created. The way the stepsisters and stepmom were played was a refreshing take from how the old fairy tales went. Mayune was ultimately harmless, if a bit wacko, and Mawata is more of a foil to Himeno than even she knew. Himeno herself is a pretty great heroine.

As for the Leafe Knights, it was clear most of the show's focus went to Hayate and Sasame, with everyone else mostly providing a few bonus forms and secondary character roles. The upsides and downsides of a one-cour run at play. Not my favorite magical girl show, but it was pretty fun.

My next show is a mecha one.

Hello!! Kiniro Mosaic 1
Karen is back to save another season of anime.

Baby Steps 2nd Season 1

I liked how quickly they got into the thick of things rather than spend too much time recapping and introducing new characters up front. But this looks like more of what we got in season 1, which I am happy to watch.

kiunchbb

www.dictionary.com
Wait wait , this wasn't the force Cast , it was the strikers Cast ( they were on the ennemy side before the church released them from their brainwashing. )
to be clear FORCE was removed from the nanoha continuity. it just doesn't exist. and everyone pretends it never existed.

Also Fate and Nanoha are not friends lol.
Friends don't adaopt a daughter together, friends don't sleep on the same bed.
Fate is clearly the tsundere dad ( ahem mama ) , while nanoha plays the earnest mama.
No way you can convince me that they are friends

Oops I got the name confused, I meant to say strikers. What do you mean force doesn't exist? I was enjoying how the new enemy beat the shit out of the old cast, magic became completely useless, and everyone forced to use mass produced weapon with zero individuality.

Regarding nanoha and fate, I want to believe they are couple, but the story never stated their relationship. None of the characters treat them like a couple, every time the cast refer them together they use the term "old friend". It is either a taboo or the military have a "don't ask don't tell" policy.

In the first episode of vivid, even their daughter say introduce fate as "good friend of mama". In strikers wiki fate is describe as Vivio's god mother.

Does Japan still have a thing against homosexuality?

Arcadius

Banned
Non Non Biyori

What a great show to watch. I loved everyone second of it. The art-style and colors used are very pretty, the voice actresses did a great job, the story was such a perfect slice of life. I laughed to the point of tears throughout parts of the show; the reveal of Gu the tanuki was awesome, the buildup of that scene was too good. Seeing Komari try to act all grown up by watching romance videos and then the horror video was really funny. Laughed so hard at how Natsumi played with Komari during that bit. Really good show though, glad to have watched it, thanks to the person who recommended it!

Non Non Biyori

What a great show to watch. I loved everyone second of it. The art-style and colors used are very pretty, the voice actresses did a great job, the story was such a perfect slice of life. I laughed to the point of tears throughout parts of the show; the reveal of Gu the tanuki was awesome, the buildup of that scene was too good. Seeing Komari try to act all grown up by watching romance videos and then the horror video was really funny. Laughed so hard at how Natsumi played with Komari during that bit. Really good show though, glad to have watched it, thanks to the person who recommended it!

Season 2 begins in the summer!

Plastic Memories 01

Hey the 90 seconds of the climax were good. The rest, not so much. In special there was an important mood whiplash in this series.

Fate UBW 13

/Looks at Saber.

Hey it's like coming back to Cross Ange!

And so much tsunderism.

Walkure Romanze 03

nR3s7E8.jpg

She cut her hair? Boo.

These suits of armor they wear during jousting is pretty dumb you might think. And then you see Bertille's armor...

Ventara

Love, Chunibyo & Other Delusions Episodes 11-12

Pretty good ending. Better than what I expected, though I'm not certain I totally understood all the reasonings. Would recommend,despite episodes 7-10 being a bore.

I don't get why
it was so important that Rikka became a Chunibyo because of Yuta. I mean, so what? Is it supposed to tie into why she listened to Yuta but not her family when asked to drop all the delusional stuff? And from what I understand, she didn't turn to chunibyo specifically because she couldn't accept her father's death, but rather to live a more interesting life than the reality that people kept forcing on her. Which is why she remained a chunibyo even after accepting her father's death, right?

Anyways, I like how
Yuta was able to help her accept her father's death by showing the Imaginary Line. I mean, it was all make-believe, but Yuta just had to convince her it was for her to cope with it in her own way. I also like Yuta's letter to himself (kinda heart-warming), and chunibyo Kumin was awesome. Dekomori with her hair down was super cute.

The show brought up an interesting point about how we all are a little bit chunibyo in our own way. Everybody thinks they're unique or different in some way, and there's nothing wrong with that. Even I had delusions when I was a kid (though I never acted on them, lol). It was also interesting how it brought up that if given 2 scenarios, one completely boring and the other interesting, but both with the same results and endings, it is much more enjoyable to go with the interesting scenario. Even if it just a delusion, adding some of it to your everyday life can makes things more awesome. Delusions are just a way to help cope with life and make it more awesome. It is still embarrassing, though.

Edit: Almost forgot. Sanae Dekomori is best girl.

Midonin

Funi's still working on some of their shows, but they did say on Twitter today they're working on getting them up this week. Curious if they have any announcements left - there's not that many shows remaining.

Shokugeki no Soma - 01

Liked the presentation of the dishes' details but otherwise eh. If the writing is going to be actually good, as claimed by some here, I just may keep going. I'm not expecting that to be the case though.

Seraph of the End - 01

Decent first episode. Premise doesn't seem particularly interesting but it'll all depend on the world building to sell it. I noticed some weirdly choppy framerates/animation at 2-3 places, which is slightly worrying in a first episode whose visuals didn't look like they were anything special, nice backgrounds aside anyways. Direction felt fairly average, too. Will watch for now though.

Plastic Memories - 01

Nope, this is stupid. If the Sybil system in Psycho Pass is too obviously evil then this android company should be called "Literally Hitler Industries". So they produce androids with a synthetic soul that have a lifespan of roughly 8 years and then have to be 'shut down'. In a world without attachment, that would be acceptable I suppose. But as such a thing does exist in this universe this is absurdly vicious.

To make matters more ludicrous, this company doesn't appear to have much authority and, when it's time to end a so called 'Giftia' the employees have to convince the Giftia's owner to let go of 'em voluntarily; now that, unsurprisingly, is kinda tough when you've got accustomed to your human pet for 8 years.

That aside, while I'm actually rather keen on the philosophy regarding androids or broader, artificially intelligent lifeforms, I'm usually disappointed by how clearly these shows present them as equals from the get-go. There are so many intricacies and ideas to convey but it's easy to gain the average audience's favor by making the androids exactly like humans with added flaws for the feels. You know, like giving them a severely limited lifespan. How couldn't you feel sorry for that!?!

So that above is quite the pet peeve of mine, strong enough for me to forgo this show unless I hear great things.

Plastic Memories - 01

Nope, this is stupid. If the Sybil system in Psycho Pass is too obviously evil then this android company should be called "Literally Hitler Industries". So they produce androids with a synthetic soul that have a lifespan of roughly 8 years and then have to be 'shut down'. In a world without attachment, that would be acceptable I suppose. But as such a thing does exist in this universe this is absurdly vicious.

I think you're kind of missing the point here. I'm pretty sure pets are no different than this. The average life-span of a hamster is about two to three years, per say. Are pet shops selling hamsters evil?

The system they've set up here isn't SHOCKINGLY bad or anything. It's just very flawed. I feel that that's what makes the world they live in interesting. It's how the androids function in a society like that that has me the most curious on where the show will go with it.

To make matters more ludicrous, this company doesn't appear to have much authority and, when it's time to end a so called 'Giftia' the employees have to convince the Giftia's owner to let go of 'em voluntarily; now that, unsurprisingly, is kinda tough when you've got accustomed to your human pet for 8 years.

Well obviously it has to be done voluntarily. What do you expect them to do? Barge into the house and take it by force? Let the thing's memory go out of control and cause more problems?

That aside, while I'm actually rather keen on the philosophy regarding androids or broader, artificially intelligent lifeforms, I'm usually disappointed by how clearly these shows present them as equals from the get-go. There are so many intricacies and ideas to convey but it's easy to gain the average audience's favor by making the androids exactly like humans with added flaws for the feels. You know, like giving them a severely limited lifespan. How couldn't you feel sorry for that!?!

So that above is quite the pet peeve of mine, strong enough for me to forgo this show unless I hear great things.

Well yeah, it's an obvious set up for a "feels" anime. But "feels" anime can be done well given the right writer. And this is written by the writer of the Steins;Gate VN, so I'm sure there'll be a twist or two down the line.

I just feel like it's a bit too early to judge the whole show based on what was established in this episode alone, haha.

e_i

Plastic Memories episode 1

Well that was wildly schizophrenic. They go through
a heartwrending scene, then the pee pee dance?
Really?

I think you're kind of missing the point here. I'm pretty sure pets are no different than this. The average life-span of a hamster is about two to three years, per say. Are pet shops selling hamsters evil?

I feel that that's what makes the world they live in interesting. It's how the androids function in a society like that that has me the most curious on where the show will go with it.

Yes, there's clearly a difference to other pets as these ones are humans and have a specific point of death, as opposed to a rough time frame and natural causes / events.

Well obviously it has to be done voluntarily. What do you expect them to do? Barge into the house and take it by force? Let the thing's memory go out of control and cause more problems?

Aren't you contradicting yourself? The latter reason is why it shouldn't be voluntarily. Besides it's an obviously unpleasant as fuck job and having no authority makes this unnecessarily stressful for everyone involved, as seen in this first episode.

Well yeah, it's an obvious set up for a "feels" anime. But "feels" anime can be done well given the right writer. And this is written by the writer of the Steins;Gate VN, so I'm sure there'll be a twist or two down the line.

It can be done right, no question, but it's the execution that's lacking for me already. I don't know how much credit I really give the Steins;Gate writer. I've only seen the anime (not sure if he/she worked on that too) and, while that is a show I enjoyed, it's one I consider more and more flawed on hindsight. Though yes, it'll probably mean we don't get something downright terrible.

Sorry, I just can't buy into that reasoning, it just feel like they are keeping the thinnest of veils for reasons.
This was an hypothesis ..not the truth of the situation..
It's clear that they don't want to go this route for now. Heck even the VA of fate and nanoha are talking about it and even them agree that mariage is a given.
Even if they don't want to admit it aout loud i'm not worried.

I like Xenovias design but Koneko is really why I want to watch DxD. Is it actually good or just fanservice fodder?
I cant really figure out WHAT it is about.
Dxd is a good show that has fanservice but not only fanservice.
Just try it and see . i personnaly love the dxd-verse , all you need to know is that boobs are a key element of this franchise.
Also , koroka , ( koneko sister ) appears in season 3 she already got 2 lines in ep 1..

Oops I got the name confused, I meant to say strikers. What do you mean force doesn't exist? I was enjoying how the new enemy beat the shit out of the old cast, magic became completely useless, and everyone forced to use mass produced weapon with zero individuality.
Force doesn't exist , because many people ( fans ) didn't like the direction force has taken ...Unless i'm mistaken it's not considered as cannon , in that universe.
Regarding nanoha and fate, I want to believe they are couple, but the story never stated their relationship. None of the characters treat them like a couple, every time the cast refer them together they use the term "old friend". It is either a taboo or the military have a "don't ask don't tell" policy.
>You know, friendship in the nanoha verse has a lot of different situations attached.

I don't think it's that taboo , but it's certainly not "open"
In the first episode of vivid, even their daughter say introduce fate as "good friend of mama". In strikers wiki fate is describe as Vivio's god mother.

Does Japan still have a thing against homosexuality?

Nanoha was the only who adopted vivio, that's why fate status is like that. But Fate is a "mama" and is part of vivio education as well ... i really think that the concept of 2 mothers doesn't exist in mid-childa legally and that's it.

Cornbread78

Nisemonogatari Ep. 1-7:

I must say I really enjoy this series. Teh writing is really good and the story is fun to follow. The humor is dry and it is there and the author borders on the whole Harem thing, but allows the Araragi to remain virtuous and true to the best main chick around. Also, the further relationship with Shinobu. That was an interesting sequence
in the bathtub and shower. Aside from theat, did he finally actually hook up with his GF? Sounded like it in that last episode after the talk with the conman.

cajunator

Banned
Pretear 04-13

As far as magical girl series go, this one leans pretty heavily into the romance angle. Especially the love triangle that pops up around Takako. The slapstick comedy elements with Mayune, Tanaka and Yayoi were all downplayed as the show went on, but it was a lot lighter than the key visuals suggested. I can see some of the shades of Sailor Moon and Tutu in it, but the magical girl elements aren't quite as well defined as other franchises. I realize that "well-defined" means "merchandisable" - because outside of the Wind Sword, none of Himeno's combined forms had any physical weapons - which says a fair bit about how magical girl series are created. The way the stepsisters and stepmom were played was a refreshing take from how the old fairy tales went. Mayune was ultimately harmless, if a bit wacko, and Mawata is more of a foil to Himeno than even she knew. Himeno herself is a pretty great heroine.

As for the Leafe Knights, it was clear most of the show's focus went to Hayate and Sasame, with everyone else mostly providing a few bonus forms and secondary character roles. The upsides and downsides of a one-cour run at play. Not my favorite magical girl show, but it was pretty fun.

My next show is a mecha one.

Pretear was a cute little magical girl show and one I enjoyed very much for its light humor and beautiful moments but yeah it wasnt very marketable and that hurt its visibility.

Non Non Biyori

Now you must pay tribute.
www.nyanpass.com

This was an hypothesis ..not the truth of the situation..
It's clear that they don't want to go this route for now. Heck even the VA of fate and nanoha are talking about it and even them agree that mariage is a given.
Even if they don't want to admit it aout loud i'm not worried.

Dxd is a good show that has fanservice but not only fanservice.
Just try it and see . i personnaly love the dxd-verse , all you need to know is that boobs are a key element of this franchise.
Also , koroka , ( koneko sister ) appears in season 3 she already got 2 lines in ep 1..

Force doesn't exist , because many people ( fans ) didn't like the direction force has taken ...Unless i'm mistaken it's not considered as cannon , in that universe.

>You know, friendship in the nanoha verse has a lot of different situations attached.

I don't think it's that taboo , but it's certainly not "open"

Nanoha was the only who adopted vivio, that's why fate status is like that. But Fate is a "mama" and is part of vivio education as well ... i really think that the concept of 2 mothers doesn't exist in mid-childa legally and that's it.

Ok. I will keep that in mind. I am not a fan of boobies though.

Nisemonogatari Ep. 1-7:

I must say I really enjoy this series. Teh writing is really good and the story is fun to follow. The humor is dry and it is there and the author borders on the whole Harem thing, but allows the Araragi to remain virtuous and true to the best main chick around. Also, the further relationship with Shinobu. That was an interesting sequence
in the bathtub and shower. Aside from theat, did he finally actually hook up with his GF? Sounded like it in that last episode after the talk with the conman.

You stopped right before the best episode.

Sterok

Fate/Zero 23

So the semi-finals are Rider v Archer and Saber v Berserker. Seems fitting. Not the bike! That was the second most likeable character on team Einzbern. Archer really respects Rider. Odd thing coming from him. Kariya is still bonkers.
Turns out Berserker is none other than Sir Lancelot. I kind of knew this, but still a nice twist. Actually making use of the whole heroes from the past premise.
Yeah, Rider never stood a chance against Archer. Gilgamesh is on a whole other level from the other Servants. You need to be Berserker or be immortal to stand a real chance against him.
At least Rider cares enough to keep Waver alive. They really do care for each other. Sad stuff. Gilgamesh has enough honor to not cut down Waver. He lives! For now at least. Still two more episodes for him to die.

Mature

Seraph of the End - 1
This needs to be a lot dumber for me to enjoy it. It's on the "right" track though.

Show by Rock!! - 1
Naaaaah.

Arslan Senki - 1
Didn't do much for me. Was a bit bored by the whole scenario, really.

Yes, there's clearly a difference to other pets as these ones are humans and have a specific point of death, as opposed to a rough time frame and natural causes / events.

True, but I think my point still stands nonetheless. Rough time frame, time limit or whatever, it's not like people are forced into buying these things. I imagine a contract of some sort needs to be signed and that they are aware of the time-limit when getting them.

Aren't you contradicting yourself? The latter reason is why it shouldn't be voluntarily. Besides it's an obviously unpleasant as fuck job and having no authority makes this unnecessarily stressful for everyone involved, as seen in this first episode.

Perhaps, but the more I think about it, if it wasn't voluntary, I think there'd be quite a negative impression of the company.

I mean, they say that the owners need to be around to ensure privacy, since Giftia's memories are filled with personal information. So if it wasn't voluntary and the process needed to be done in a forced manner, there'd only be more problems and the company wouldn't nearly be as successful.

It can be done right, no question, but it's the execution that's lacking for me already. I don't know how much credit I really give the Steins;Gate writer. I've only seen the anime (not sure if he/she worked on that too) and, while that is a show I enjoyed, it's one I consider more and more flawed on hindsight. Though yes, it'll probably mean we don't get something downright terrible.

I've only just seen the Steins;Gate anime as well, which I thoroughly enjoyed. Everyone says the VN is better, and the writer for that is who's working on this show.

I think the execution was done well in this episode (save for the last minute) in how it establishes the basic rules of the system.

I just think that the questions this show raises with its premise can lead to a very interesting and well-thought out story. The system is clearly flawed, can it be fixed? Will it be broken? How do other people function in a society with it?

It's questions liked those that are raised in a premise like this that intrigue me and wonder where the show will go with it.

But then again, that's just my opinion. I personally think newcomers should give the show another episode or two before dismissing it completely.

Also, unrelated, how far are you in Eureka Seven? The last 10 episodes are what really kicked that show into high gear for me.

Nisemonogatari Ep. 1-7:

Make sure no one is around when you watch the next episode....unless you want someone giving you a disgusted look for the rest of your life.

Seraph of the End - 1
This needs to be a lot dumber for me to enjoy it. It's on the "right" track though.

Show by Rock!! - 1
Naaaaah.

Arslan Senki - 1
Didn't do much for me. Was a bit bored by the whole scenario, really.

Hmm how was Arslan Senki boring? I thought it was a pretty good introduction to the series and how it will lead to the journey of Arslan growing as a character. Plus the writer of the story is the person who wrote Legend of Galactic Heroes.

Mushishi - 20

Man this was such a cool episode. Reaffirms the perspective that Ginko isn't like most Mushishi's.
The whole sequence of Tanyuu 'chopping' the mushi, and the writing was unsettlingly awesome. The chemistry between her and Ginko was great. I hope she is going to be featured more. Going in the vault fo sho.

Sterok

Fate/Zero 24

The two lovers finally meet. Kirei has especially been looking forward to this. Kiritsugu is practically immortal, and Kirei still kicks his ass. Not bad. Saber beats Berserker because...? Or was it because Kariya couldn't hold on anymore? The Grail has an interesting way of accepting wishes. And it does show the problem with Kiritsugu's method. It may hold true on a micro level, but on a global scale you would have to kill far more people than you'd save to ensure peace. So Kiritsugu beats Kirei because the Grail favors him. Which mostly ends up proving that Kirei is just one tough bastard. Archer is still more dangerous though, and he really can't lose at this stage.
Unless the Grail itself is lost. Whoops. Saber has lousy luck this round.

Midonin

The first episode of Yuki is out at Funi, but no announcement of when it'll be regularly airing. Still waiting on Mikagura and DxD.

Mature

Hmm how was Arslan Senki boring? I thought it was a pretty good introduction to the series and how it will lead to the journey of Arslan growing as a character. Plus the writer of the story is the person who wrote Legend of Galactic Heroes.
Felt pretty by the numbers in terms of a Prince and the Pauper-esq story. And the setting doesn't interest me on a personal level.

Nabae

Unconfirmed Member
Baby Steps S2, Episode 1
The art seems to be more consistent this time around... though is is only the first episode. The opening sequence was really well animated.

UuPsBoa.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom