• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2015 |OT| The Disappearance of YEAARRT!

Status
Not open for further replies.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I looked up "My AnimeList," as you mentioned to do, and it has "Tsukimonogatari" listed as a sequel I do not see that on Crunchy, is that availible on any of the normal streaming services? Is that a direct continuation of the story and events from this point forward or from the Suruga Devil story?
daisuki has the monogatari miniseries.

phaze

Wow, I just finished that last part of the "Hitagi End" arc. and it was good in a sense how the issue was resolved and very fitting the way it was done, but it really gives you no closure to the larger story nor does it allow you to
celebrate the "victory." The warning to Araragi was very fitting as well, so hopefully, he learns to head that warning and not try to be everyone's hero all the time, he must choose who he wants to save/love. I think the departure of Hachikuji in the prior arc should have been an eye opener for him and the impending dissintegration or his "harem" that is needed to achieve that. It's just unfortunate that you cannot celebrate or enjoy the moment, but since this arc was done from Kaiki's perspective, you can understand why there was no "celebration." However, they show him being killed by the boy with teh snape apperition right afterwards and it appears to kick off a brand new story already from there...

Is that the "Suruga Devil" movie listed after Hitagi's End part 6 a story continuation from this point forward, or a totally different story?

I looked up "My AnimeList," as you mentioned to do, and it has "Tsukimonogatari" listed as a sequel I do not see that on Crunchy, is that availible on any of the normal streaming services? Is that a direct continuation of the story and events from this point forward or from the Suruga Devil story?

Before you embark on Tsuki, you need to watch Hanamonogatari. It's on Crunchyroll. Just don't be surprised as it takes place sometime in the future and it's a kanbaru centric arc.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Before you embark on Tsuki, you need to watch Hanamonogatari. It's on Crunchyroll. Just don't be surprised as it takes place sometime in the future and it's a kanbaru centric arc.
It takes place in the future, but it's a direct continuation of the Kaiki arc, funny enough.

Wow, I just finished that last part of the "Hitagi End" arc. and it was good in a sense how the issue was resolved and very fitting the way it was done, but it really gives you no closure to the larger story nor does it allow you to
celebrate the "victory." The warning to Araragi was very fitting as well, so hopefully, he learns to head that warning and not try to be everyone's hero all the time, he must choose who he wants to save/love. I think the departure of Hachikuji in the prior arc should have been an eye opener for him and the impending dissintegration or his "harem" that is needed to achieve that. It's just unfortunate that you cannot celebrate or enjoy the moment, but since this arc was done from Kaiki's perspective, you can understand why there was no "celebration." However, they show him being killed by the boy with teh snape apperition right afterwards and it appears to kick off a brand new story already from there...

Is that the "Suruga Devil" movie listed after Hitagi's End part 6 a story continuation from this point forward, or a totally different story?

Everything must be watch in the order of release for maximum enjoyment. ( and twists )
When i said that everything is not in order i mean regarding the second season. For exemple , the events of neko monogatari ( white ) , i mean tsubasa tiger happens during the time frame where araragi tell the events of shinobu time.
You see shinobu time take place after but feature araragi that tell events that happens earlier.
In the same sense , the events of "Mayoi Jiangshi" happens before tsubasa tiger in the chronological sense , yet are much more intresting to watch as intended , in the messed-up order.

After hitagi end , there is Suruga Devil , and that one happens much later in the timeline and need to be watched as it contain info regarding certains info of hitagi end :)
Anyway , what you should remember is:
-Watch everything in release order
-Pay attention to the date , for the event that happens in each arc , it give a much more intresting perspective to the events.Especially regarding everyone motivations.

Why do i say this ? because most of the conclusion/question and expectations you just wrote about this arc are actually adressed in the next ones.
For more questions don't hesitate to ask.

Is that the one listed in Crunchy as "Suruga Devil" and is 1:59mins?

You need to watch suruga devil after hitagi end.

You need to.

So last season I really liked Parasyte and Aldnoah Zero (only semi-ironically, all the action sequences were basically sweet video game boss fights) and I'm finishing up and really enjoying Shirobako right now (is this getting a second season?). Is there anything I would find interesting this season?

Not a fan of the Fate/Stay Night series, and everything else looks like action anime with tons of fan service or
dumb
moe stuff.

Cornbread78

I'm going to assume so, since the arc features her as a main character. lol

Everything must be watch in the order of release for maximum enjoyment. ( and twists )
When i said that everything is not in order i mean regarding the second season. For exemple , the events of neko monogatari ( white ) , i mean tsubasa tiger happens during the time frame where araragi tell the events of shinobu time.
You see shinobu time take place after but feature araragi that tell events that happens earlier.
In the same sense , the events of "Mayoi Jiangshi" happens before tsubasa tiger in the chronological sense , yet are much more intresting to watch as intended , in the messed-up order.

After hitagi end , there is Suruga Devil , and that one happens much later in the timeline and need to be watched as it contain info regarding certains info of hitagi end :)
Anyway , what you should remember is:
-Watch everything in release order
-Pay attention to the date , for the event that happens in each arc , it give a much more intresting perspective to the events.Especially regarding everyone motivations.

Why do i say this ? because most of the conclusion/question and expectations you just wrote about this arc are actually adressed in the next ones.

You need to.

Thank you!

Ok, I will do just that then. I took a mental break to get more work done, and started watching Shirobako to clear my head a little bit, then I guess I'll watch Suruga.

the Monogatari series is tough to follow at times and can be soo confusing, lol. I think I got in a little over my head with this one. However, it is very good when it is straightforward and you can follow the story.

Midonin

Etotama 01

I was going to say the premise was "Angel Tales meets Saint Seiya", but upon actually watching it, this is the closest thing to Nyarko I've seen since it ended. The fourth wall breaking, the insane shifts in character, all tempered with a little bit of battle. I don't know how it came to be that two of the cutest shows this season also have some of the best action - done via CG, no less. While this CG is more 2D-styled, it also uses a Nendoroid-ish style in order to flow pretty freely. The battle between Nya and Dora was fun to watch, and the stuff before it was, too.

I don't mind Takeru being in the story as a sounding board for the other characters to bounce off, because he's alright. Mostly there to be the normal base for all the craziness, which is the same reason why Cyan was an ordinary human girl. Also, I would love to see some Cyan and Nya~tan crossover fanart. Come on pixiv, get your asses in gear and make it happen.

So last season I really liked Parasyte and Aldnoah Zero (only semi-ironically, all the action sequences were basically sweet video game boss fights) and I'm finishing up and really enjoying Shirobako right now (is this getting a second season?). Is there anything I would find interesting this season?

Not a fan of the Fate/Stay Night series, and everything else looks like action anime with tons of fan service or
dumb
moe stuff.

Seraph of the End.

dumb
moe stuff.

Arslan Senki and Blood Blockade Battlefront are the good ones this season.

Are there any Monogatari novel readers here? One thing I always wondered is: (Spoilers for Koimonogatari and Hanamonogatari; don't read Cornbread)
In the Tv series we see Kaiki getting murdered at the end of Koi and only later in Hana is it revealed that it was a lie and Kaiki is actually still alive. However with the novels Hana was released first so the reader already knows that Kaiki lives in the future. So i wonder how the murder in Koi was handled in the novels. Was it just intended as a simple joke and to punctuate that everything in Koi is to be taken with a grain of salt? Does the murder happen in the novels at all?

Erigu

Are there any Monogatari novel readers here? One thing I always wondered is: (Spoilers for Koimonogatari and Hanamonogatari; don't read Cornbread)
In the Tv series we see Kaiki getting murdered at the end of Koi and only later in Hana is it revealed that it was a lie and Kaiki is actually still alive. However with the novels Hana was released first so the reader already knows that Kaiki lives in the future. So i wonder how the murder in Koi was handled in the novels. Was it just intended as a simple joke and to punctuate that everything in Koi is to be taken with a grain of salt? Does the murder happen in the novels at all?
It's handled in the exact same way. So, after Koimonogatari was released, readers were wondering (in fact, some still are)
if the Kaiki seen in Hanamonogatari really was Kaiki ("glasses and beard?"), if he was a ghost, or if the guy simply survived

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
Mikagura School 1
Hmm, the protag yuri power is strong.
I like the ED/OP/Insert song. It's nice to hear Tom-H@ck arrangement of the song

Cornbread78

Hanamonogatari
Kaiki!
WTF is going on..... 1 hour in and this is just strange, dry, and umm, yeah... 1 hour left to go...

firehawk12

Subete no aware
IIRC those were manga bundled side stories, so there's not much to ignore.
Makes sense.

I wonder how the anime will end. I think only DTL watched the jdrama adaptation, but if it was anything like Yankee-kun, the show would have skipped right to the last chapter of the manga to provide an ending since they don't care about being slavishly faithful to the manga. The anime doesn't have that luxury, and there's no way this thing is going to run for like 52 episodes, so...

Mikagura Gakuen Kumikyoku - 01

The lead in this is mad for some scissoring, I approve. I feel it has some charm, but I'm not completely sold on the premise yet. I'll check out a few more episodes and see how it develops.
Does this hairstyle have a name? It's like she planned to originally go with the two mini tails, but then decided to add a dash of crazy. I like it.

iJWNipV.jpg

Makes sense.

I wonder how the anime will end. I think only DTL watched the jdrama adaptation, but if it was anything like Yankee-kun, the show would have skipped right to the last chapter of the manga to provide an ending since they don't care about being slavishly faithful to the manga. The anime doesn't have that luxury, and there's no way this thing is going to run for like 52 episodes, so...

It's only 12 episodes long, so they won't have time to do much. It's been a while since I've read the early parts of the manga, but unless they do some crazy rushing they won't even have time to introduce all the witches.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
It's only 12 episodes long, so they won't have time to do much. It's been a while since I've read the early parts of the manga, but unless they do some crazy rushing they won't have time to introduce more than a few of the witches.
They literally skipped 90% of the manga in the jdrama adaptation of Yankee-kun and invented their own ending. It was kind of refreshing in a way, since jdrama watchers probably aren't going to put up with non-endings that ask you to buy the manga to find out more.

Come to think of it, Again!!'s jdrama adaptation handled it pretty much the same way.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Etotama Episode 1:

I feel like watching Jackie Chan Adventures now. Also, that cat girl may just be the most annoying character of the season, dropped like a cat on a hot tin roof.

Makes sense.

They'll do what they normally do with on-going series. Pick an arc and end the anime there.

cajunator

Banned
Trying to catch up on shows from previous season, is Shirobako any good

People kept posting all the girls from it on Twitter

Yes it is quite good if you enjoy the animation process and learning how studios function/dysfunction.

Something like The Idolmaster or Kancollie Collection comes to mind.

Yeah those are the shows that can really be considered "waifu" shows. Other shows have marketable characters and people choose sides, but it doesnt make them that sort of show.

Mikagura School Suite 01

Well that was... that was something. The set up is pretty standard, the art and animation are unremarkable and the characters are rather stock... the yuri.

tumblr_nmi6k9z89d1rxzudco4_250.gif

The protagonist is hella gay. Not even "blushes one time when she sees a pretty girl", gay but "plays yuri VNs and reads yuri manga" gay.

I honestly might have dropped this but...the yuri.

tumblr_inline_nmid1z3HlT1r6jvm9_540.png

With all that said, I still don't think Mikagura is great. but hopefully it picks up in the coming episodes.

Oh right, the protagonist voiced by Juri Kimura (Aoi from Shirobako). I like her voice, and i'm glad she's already getting more lead roles.

SOLD. Watching this.

Saiunkoku monogatari is an awesome anime you should check if you get the chance one day.

Seconded!

Is that different from monogatari that I'm watching now? If it is and it's on Crunchy, I'll check it out. Is it similar to Yona?

Monogatari just means "story". It is Story of Saiunkoku and the anime came out actually before all the Bakemonogatari stuff. Yona did remind me of it in some ways with the typical bishounen characters and the ancient Chinese/Japanese look to the artwork and music. Its a very pleasing show to watch.
Here is the OP for example.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ElO-6JOTgW0

Also full song because its gorgeous.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mXqIYmbnuQc

cajunator

Banned
Etotama: 01

That was a surprisingly fun watch. Nice comedy and action rolled into one. Definitely watching this through.

Also... boy, cajunator, this is your season...

Yeah it seems to be made for me but I can hardly watch any of it because Im working all the time extra :(
On the other hand that means I have even more money to spend on it later.

To be honest, I assumed this one since they have the manga.

Crunchy would love to get rights for shows they have the manga for. In this case it was likely since Kodansha has the international rights to the manga and the anime, but it's not always the case with adaptations. Video games often have someone else holding the rights, so it could go elsewhere (likely Funi trying to get gamer buys). On a bright note, Kodansha holding rights means it could be easier to get the OVA. (OVA rights usually go to the publisher if bundled with a manga/novel volume and have to be negotiated separately. Given the shrinking size of buyers, they tend not to be worth it on their own.)

cajunator

Banned
Show By Rock 1

So how come the CG in this anime isn't an eyesore?

Because its lighted properly and that makes enormous difference.

f59b4501ac791523ff1cae0dec0d416fd952c2cd.gif:small

that one anime airing about the game

Ewwwwww
massive downgrade. WHat happened?

Mikagura School Suite - 1

mpv_screenshot_0001.png

Not sure what I just watched... but so far it's worth watching just for the yuritastic MC (voiced by the seiyuu who was Aoi in Shirobako)

she voiced Aoi? SUPER SOLD.

Windows 10 indeed looks better than 8/8.1

I honestly havent upgraded from 7. It has been so excellent that 10 had better be incredible because Im surely not getting Windows 8.

Thank you!

Ok, I will do just that then. I took a mental break to get more work done, and started watching Shirobako to clear my head a little bit, then I guess I'll watch Suruga.

the Monogatari series is tough to follow at times and can be soo confusing, lol. I think I got in a little over my head with this one. However, it is very good when it is straightforward and you can follow the story.

Yeah Monogatari is probably the most confusing set of stories Ive seen yet. Even when its all laid out and you actually watch it is still easy to get completely lost.

Etotama 01

I was going to say the premise was "Angel Tales meets Saint Seiya", but upon actually watching it, this is the closest thing to Nyarko I've seen since it ended. The fourth wall breaking, the insane shifts in character, all tempered with a little bit of battle. I don't know how it came to be that two of the cutest shows this season also have some of the best action - done via CG, no less. While this CG is more 2D-styled, it also uses a Nendoroid-ish style in order to flow pretty freely. The battle between Nya and Dora was fun to watch, and the stuff before it was, too.

I don't mind Takeru being in the story as a sounding board for the other characters to bounce off, because he's alright. Mostly there to be the normal base for all the craziness, which is the same reason why Cyan was an ordinary human girl. Also, I would love to see some Cyan and Nya~tan crossover fanart. Come on pixiv, get your asses in gear and make it happen.

now THAT is an interesting mix!
I was already sold on this show but if I wasnt, that kind of description would do it.
Also nice to hear mention of Angel Tales. Poor Kurumi~nano

I do love some witch cuties!

Midonin

Funi confirmed they'll be streaming Mikagura at 4:35 ET on Tuesdays. A one day delay from the show's original airdate, but not a terrible one.

Midonin

Punchline 01

MANDARIN ARMS. STRANGE JUICE ON STAGE.

While it's not an exact match, the Akiba-pop-graffiti style the show has reminds me of Sumaga/Axanael, one of my favorite VNs. Even without that, this show has so much of what I was looking for. An "anime" world, magical girls, and some of the best/worst wordplay of the season. Where else are you going to find Mashiro expositing as a cat? The premise mostly looks to be an excuse for hijinks at this point, and the "art" is pretty good.

If I had any complaint, it's still being extremely disappointed that they changed Rabura's character design to pale skinned and green haired. Her brown girl with silver hair original design was much more erotic. If this was an eroge, I would find a patch for that so I could reverse it, but since this is anime, I'll just have to settle for fanart and doujins.

Anything that involves superheroes will get my attention. I've enjoyed basically every show I've seen thus far, and I never expected a noitaminA show to be among my favorites. Which is good, since unless something changes, this is also going to be the last noitaminA show I watch for a while.

Cornbread78

Yup it's suruga devil.

You need to.

I finished Suruga Devil and it was completely about Suruga, go figure, lol. The her story is completely unrelated to everything else they have gone over, other than finally closure about her
monkey arm and paw
As well as some additional insight about that jerkface/savior actually still being alive. This was all taking place in April.

However, I just turned on Tsukimonogatar and now the timeline is back to Feb. right after the Hitagi arc.... I'm so confused, lol.

phaze

I finished Suruga Devil and it was completely about Suruga, go figure, lol. The her story is completely unrelated to everything else they have gone over, other than finally closure about her
monkey arm and paw
As well as some additional insight about that jerkface/savior actually still being alive. This was all taking place in April.

However, I just turned on Tsukimonogatar and now the timeline is back to Feb. right after the Hitagi arc.... I'm so confused, lol.

Good luck with the first 20 minutes of Tsuki, you'll need it !

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Punchline Episode 1:

Ah yes, this is the Noitmina show of the season if I am seeing real brands used in it. Anyway, the fanservice in this show is a might provocative along most standards but looks downright Victorian next to the likes of Triage X and Food Wars. Also, seems the way to make the nosebleed gag actually funny is to inject it with all of the steroids. Anyway, outside of the franchise players, this is certainly the strongest debut I have seen this season.

PK Gaming

monkey arm and paw

I've got some good & bad news for you

Good news: You just finished the best Monogatari arc
Bad news: You just finished the best Monogatari arc

Crocodile

Punchline 01

MANDARIN ARMS. STRANGE JUICE ON STAGE.

While it's not an exact match, the Akiba-pop-graffiti style the show has reminds me of Sumaga/Axanael, one of my favorite VNs. Even without that, this show has so much of what I was looking for. An "anime" world, magical girls, and some of the best/worst wordplay of the season. Where else are you going to find Mashiro expositing as a cat? The premise mostly looks to be an excuse for hijinks at this point, and the "art" is pretty good.

If I had any complaint, it's still being extremely disappointed that they changed Rabura's character design to pale skinned and green haired. Her brown girl with silver hair original design was much more erotic. If this was an eroge, I would find a patch for that so I could reverse it, but since this is anime, I'll just have to settle for fanart and doujins.

Anything that involves superheroes will get my attention. I've enjoyed basically every show I've seen thus far, and I never expected a noitaminA show to be among my favorites. Which is good, since unless something changes, this is also going to be the last noitaminA show I watch for a while.

Yeah that still really bothers me but not from a "hotness" perspective but more from a "dark skin ain't shit" perspective that is kind of a worldwide problem. Kind of makes me not even want to bother with the show but I can't decide if that is an overreaction or not. (If the show turns out to be shit I guess it won't matter either way LOL).

Punchline Episode 1:

Ah yes, this is the Noitmina show of the season if I am seeing real brands used in it. Anyway, the fanservice in this show is a might provocative along most standards but looks downright Victorian next to the likes of Triage X and Food Wars. Also, seems the way to make the nosebleed gag actually funny is to inject it with all of the steroids. Anyway, outside of the franchise players, this is certainly the strongest debut I have seen this season.

If you liked it that means it must not be as crass as I feared. Interesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom