• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2015 |OT| The Disappearance of YEAARRT!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Punch Line - 01

Pantsu aside, this was hilariously silly. The cats fucking sealed the deal. I enjoyed this a lot.
VXvMxxR.jpg

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
I would say it is pretty normal when it comes to anime fanservice, lot of panty shots, lot of girls in underwear, lot of lingering shots of hot bodies. Honestly, I learned to tune that out a long time ago. As much as I disliked Food Wars its fanservice was inspired and Triage X while saddled with a heavy dose of arrested development is so stark it is an stylistic fingerprint.

It's handled in the exact same way. So, after Koimonogatari was released, readers were wondering (in fact, some still are)
if the Kaiki seen in Hanamonogatari really was Kaiki ("glasses and beard?"), if he was a ghost, or if the guy simply survived

Cool, thanks. It didn't even occur to me that
glasses Kaiki might be fake/ghost.
Interesting.

Etotama - 01

This episode had enough Nyaaa~ to last me a 10 years.
I was very surprised when it transformed to.. cg chibi (?) fighting. It felt weird, but it was kinda good at the same time. I have no idea what to expect so I'll check out a few more.
Select your fighter
gY1lhrI.gif

Etotama - 01

I was very surprised when it transformed to.. cg chibi (?) fighting. It felt weird, but it was kinda good at the same time. I have no idea what to expect so I'll check out a few more.
Select your fighter
gY1lhrI.gif

What is this, baby's first monter girls? Monster Girls Lite?

phaze

Monster 63
wrapitup6zqe5.gif

Srsly ... Of course the moment I praise the show for focusing on Tenma and endgame, I get hijacked by another tournee of superfluous characters. I do appreciate bringing some of the earlier ones back but you don't need to use fresh, episodic throwaway characters just because Tenma decided to jump straight under a truck. After hilariously outrunning 4 cops with guns and cars to boot.

This twist/reveal with
Nina.......
better be good.

Cornbread78

I've got some good & bad news for you

Good news: You just finished the best Monogatari arc
Bad news: You just finished the best Monogatari arc

Uggh, I just watched the first hour of Tsukimonogatari and yeah, you know he lives because of the movie arc I just watched, but damn, his actions have led him here. I'll watch the last hour tomorrow to close out the story I guess. I fear for Shinobu at this point, but who knows. He fought too hard for his harem previously and is now paying the price.

I Can’t Understand What My Husband Is Saying: 2nd Thread 2
More cute couple troubles

PapaKiki end

I'm sure no one remembers this "knock off" of Usagi Drop, but apparently in lieu of doing any more seasons, they just animated the events of the final book and put it out as an OVA and well:

PXj5JPVl.png

Dude ends up marrying his step-niece. Even though they've never kissed. lol
Maybe this works if you've been reading the books or something, but it's basically a nonsensical ending considering there's no mention of the other girl who was basically the obvious choice back when the show aired.

I suppose the OVA does clear up that the parents are actually dead, since they show up as ghosts who spend the day watching their kids go through a normal day in their lives.

PapaKiki aside, I think I'd be okay with studios just doing one off episodes for LNs that end. A lot of series will never get a sequel series, but wrapping the whole thing up with a finale episode is I suppose better than nothing.
I decided to look up what happened to the other girl and
apparently she died on her way to her marriage with the main guy. Yeesh

cajunator

Banned
Etotama - 01

Select your fighter
gY1lhrI.gif

This season has started off rather spectacularly.

Exalted

Monster 63
wrapitup6zqe5.gif

Srsly ... Of course the moment I praise the show for focusing on Tenma and endgame, I get hijacked by another tournee of superfluous characters. I do appreciate bringing some of the earlier ones back but you don't need to use fresh, episodic throwaway characters just because Tenma decided to jump straight under a truck. After hilariously outrunning 4 cops with guns and cars to boot.

This twist/reveal with
Nina.......
better be good.

I'm curently on episode 44, and while i enjoy the series i'm just wondering, if i would randomly decide to jump 20 episodes would i actually miss anything really important, or only some new random characters and their story , some vague background on the twins and the whole there is a monster thing ...

Does Tenma actually manage to do anything meaningfull in the next 20 episodes?

I really liked Monster the first 10 episodes, but now it feels like i'm just watching filler episodes:s

Calling Monster episodes filler? smh

Well I put it on hold after roughly 20 episodes or so. It may not be filler but damn does it have one hell of a slow pace and plenty smaller side stories.

It was still pretty good and I intent to continue it one day but I'd be lying if I said I didn't feel like slogging through some episodes.

phaze

I'm curently on episode 44, and while i enjoy the series i'm just wondering, if i would randomly decide to jump 20 episodes would i actually miss anything really important, or only some new random characters and their story , some vague background on the twins and the whole there is a monster thing ...

Does Tenma actually manage to do anything meaningfull in the next 20 episodes?

I really liked Monster the first 10 episodes, but now it feels like i'm just watching filler episodes:s

Well very soon they'll introduce some (seemingly) pivotal facts on the past of the twins, so i would say it's
the worst moment to start skipping through eps. The short string of eps a bit ahead of you was the best thing in Monster since circa ep 12 for me. Tenma does get quite a bit of time but he doesn't make much progress on the Johan front. It's mostly focused on his relationship with another character.

Exalted

Calling Monster episodes filler? smh

While the show is no doubt a quality one, some episodes do kinda feell like fillers, if you compare monster to something like LOTGH, both old shows with good writing , long airtime, lots of episode and with a slower pace.
One could easily remove some 3-6 episode story archs from monster who feature a brand new charachter and his story, and not even notice something is missing, while the same could not be said abouth LOTGH, where the story wouldn't make sense if you sudently removed the same amount of episodes.

Well very soon they'll introduce some (seemingly) pivotal facts on the past of the twins, so i would say it's
the worst moment to start skipping through eps. The short string of eps a bit ahead of you was the best thing in Monster since circa ep 12 for me. Tenma does get quite a bit of time but he doesn't make much progress on the Johan front. It's mostly focused on his relationship with another character.

Tnx for the response. I really hope that the ending and Johans and Ninas secret reveal is worth it.

CDiggity

Punchline 01

I always knew in my heart of hearts MAPPA would be the true savior of anime. Not that pretender Trigger

Dropped

Not really but we'll see after 3 eps.

ibyea

Banned
Well I put it on hold after roughly 20 episodes or so. It may not be filler but damn does it have one hell of a slow pace and plenty smaller side stories.

It was still pretty good and I intent to continue it one day but I'd be lying if I said I didn't feel like slogging through some episodes.

I will say this. While I liked it a lot, it definitely is not for everyone. The show is a slow burn for many of its episodes. But I think it is a good show and has a great payoff. At least for me.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
They'll do what they normally do with on-going series. Pick an arc and end the anime there.
I know... laaaame. Makes me wonder if it's even worth watching... although I did get bored of the manga itself after a while.

I decided to look up what happened to the other girl and
apparently she died on her way to her marriage with the main guy. Yeesh
I saw somewhere else that was bullshit lol. Apparently there's chapters of the final LN that are about that girl after the other two get married.

cj_iwakura

Unlimited Blade Works 13

8H0D5QZ.jpg

"So, did you make sure he was dead?"

Heh. Perfect adaptation, they're getting through the fat of the VN at a much-needed pace. I'd much rather watch this repeatedly than ever endure the sloooooow Unlimited Cooking Works version again.

I will say this. While I liked it a lot, it definitely is not for everyone. The show is a slow burn for many of its episodes. But I think it is a good show and has a great payoff. At least for me.

I don't mind a good slow burn like, say, Planetes, where I feel like there's proper character development and overall more depth to all of them, as well as a much more natural plot progression.

I'll probably make a longer comment on all that once I'm done with Eureka Seven, but am just in the middle of episode 45 and want to bang my head on the table seeing this. We've gone through this shit 3 or 4 times before already and every fucking time you and Renton vowed it won't matter and to be there for each other. And that's after going through something similar several times before
it even got revealed that Eureka isn't a real human.
There's no depth to this crap. It's regurgitating the same drama and themes constantly without really ever adding a fresh spin on it. It happens with other character pairs too, such as Holland + Talho and Anemone + Dominic. Repetition can be used well, this show doesn't do so whatsoever.

Not to bash the show or anything, but if you told me that the person who wrote VLR wrote this too, I wouldn't believe it. I don't really know what to think of the show tbh, I'll maybe watch next week but I might just drop it.

sonicmj1

Not to bash the show or anything, but if you told me that the person who wrote VLR wrote this too, I wouldn't believe it. I don't really know what to think of the show tbh, I'll maybe watch next week but I might just drop it.

Really? I'd absolutely believe it. There's already a time loop focus in the first episode!

I'm willing to give this one some time. MAPPA hasn't made anything I've disliked yet, and there's a lot to appreciate here. The opening scene is excellent, fast-paced with great action cuts. I also liked a lot of the visual gags in that exploratory sequence, like the transformation scene, or Rabura going back for her salt. Even the panty shots are done in such an over-the-top way that it's hard for me to be mad at them.

It'd have been nice if the episode wasn't stuffed to the gills with exposition after all the action ends (another thing that reminds me of 999...), but that can't go on forever. There are already a lot of threads here that could be stitched into an interesting mystery.

Tenumi

Banned
Punchline: 1

The punchline is panties.

Seriously though, definitely surprisingly enjoyable of a watch to me. I'm intrigued enough to give it at least its 3 episodes.

John Blade

tumblr_mtfxxlFEzD1rhzu7jo1_500.gif

Back from the banned for what I did in the last review. Will try not to do it this time. Manage to get though few anime during the banned and one of the anime is Texhnolyze. I guess the best way to say about that anime is based on the image below.

1337051454707.png

Man...this anime isn't an anime if you go with anime standard. It's much more when I think about it more. It feel like some sort of a movie that is make by the best director like Kubrick. The show is very bleak and depressing as the world you go into feel like a world that is near the end of human cycle and people are just barely trying to live. You see basically the human kind start to fall down to the point where it might not survive. Another thing I have to say in the storytelling is how they use other method to tell the story mostly in color, pacing, how the character react, symbolism, and many more. This help build the story message quite a bit and feel unique as I don't see many anime who does that well.

The development of the characters is interesting I have to say. All of them you follow have some kind of flaw with them which make them unique and might be the main strength. You start to understanding they thinking or motives of why they did it or why they think that way.

Still, it's not the typical character development from most anime so,I can see people who watch it, might not be attached to any of the characters at all with the minimalism dialogue.

Overall, the show is something I still need to let it sink even more as it's quite a bit of info to go through. I don't know if I hate the show or love it. I will say it's a show that I understand from what I can gather during watching it for the 1st time. It's very fresh from most anime as it kinda not try to be any anime show at all. It kinda push the boundaries in the story telling by trying other way to tell it. This show is something I won't recommend to any anime fans but for the select few as it's more a thinking show that you need some times to let what the show tell you to sink in.

For the ending, man....it's very sad to the point I kinda feel bad for the characters in the show. It left me a strong impression to say the least and might be a show I might one day to go back and re watch it one more time to gather more info which I might miss during my 1st watch.

So....what other people here impression is for this show. Kinda want to see if we can get a discussion for this old show.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom