• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2015 |OT| The Disappearance of YEAARRT!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thoraxes

based kyogods and the sexiest drawn (french) horns ever

9JeqEZI.jpg

Look at that shit.

Look at that motherfucking attention to detail on the slides, rotors, and hand position. Even the solderings are in the correct spot. Jesus.

She's even holding it on her body in the correct location for a younger player.

They even made it drawn as a double instead of a single and have all the tube lengths the correct size. If they show how they empty the spit out I may just lose it, because on horn it's a ridiculous process that has to be done A LOT.

You can even see a digital tuner on her stand.

Jintor

God help me if they ever do a violin anime.

The guitar fingering in K-On was already borderline illegal amounts of detail

Thoraxes

God help me if they ever do a violin anime.

The guitar fingering in K-On was already borderline illegal amounts of detail

Violins are simple compared to the intricacies of the anatomy of the french horn.

However, if they paid attention to proper bowings? Holy shit.

The DB girl in this show already has a german-grip in the promo art, which I found to be an impressive attention to detail.

Curious about that rant, I'll have to read it, after writing my overall thoughts up myself.

If I didn't feel like wasting so much time for it already I'd love to drop it, too. I actually can't bear watching it without doing something on the side, though.

I don't even know what thread it's in anymore. Must be at least 2 years old at this point, maybe 3.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I'm sure this will come off as pretty flippant, but does this attention to detail matter if the show itself is otherwise standard?

Theonik

I'm sure this will come off as pretty flippant, but does this attention to detail matter if the show itself is otherwise standard?
Everything is standard in most non-interactive entertainment industries for the past 30+ years.
The only difference is usually in execution so yes it matters.

OceanBlue

They're appreciating how accurate the instruments are depicted, so yes.

Can people appreciate nice background art in otherwise mediocre anime?

I don't even know what thread it's in anymore. Must be at least 2 years old at this point, maybe 3.

*googles "neogaf cosmicblizzard eureka rant"*

There we go!

Since you stopped at ep 29 I actually read it just now. I've had very similar thoughts on those events. Actually, I'm not sure if you stopped there...

Now all of this wouldn't be so bad if the portrayal reflected it. But it doesn't. Everyone in Gekkostate has lost all sympathy, yet they are still portrayed as fun-loving rebels fighting for a noble cause

This quote holds particularly true. I still, after ep45, don't even understand how the Gekkostate's crew would exist the way it does. As you say, in general they are portrayed as this 'fun-loving' ragtag crew but are then constantly shown to be major, uncaring fuckwits. I mentioned it in a comment before, but holy shit the fucking violence Holland exerts on Renton for the pettiest of reasons (if any at times) and how no one in the crew intervenes early enough or prevents that shit in the first place. Everyone in this crew also sways from having heartfelt, personal dialogues with Renton to complete indifference on his suffering.

Why does this crew even exist in the first place? Holland is neither charming nor can I spot and other attributes suited for leading. Why would anyone who wasn't with him in the military even follow this prick? Why are Holland and Talho even so happy-go-lucky

And concerning Renton...
Seriously, I don't mind his initial infatuation with Eureka who just kind of dazzled him with her appearance (flying an LFO no less!). But it should be just that, infatuation, that would surely fade away eventually when he goes through all the crap he does, especially when Eureka has NOTHING to offer him. They barely even have a fun time together.

Instead though, oh the strong love and the will to protect this poor girl :(
But protecting poor girls is, after all, an honorable thing in the minds of plenty cheap writers. So Renton is supposedly this great guy because he wants to protect Eureka and so is Holland. Sure, Holland is a vile piece of shit, but he just wanted to protect Eureka and if you do just enough mental gymnastics you can justify his actions... is what they hope.

Argh... I need to stop and preserve my rage for when I'm done. But I've still got 5 episodes to go, that's ~100minutes @_@

Mendrox

Punchline: 1

The punchline is panties.

Seriously though, definitely surprisingly enjoyable of a watch to me. I'm intrigued enough to give it at least its 3 episodes.

WARNING everybody should at least watch till episode 6 I heard. Shit will turnaround then and become more awesome I heard. Director twittered that.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Everything is standard in most non-interactive entertainment industries for the past 30+ years.
The only difference is usually in execution so yes it matters.
I mean, I know I'm the guy who is blind and doesn't give a shit about sakuga so my perspective when it comes to anime is entirely skewed, but I mean... if it's just another sports story with brass instruments instead of basketballs/volleyballs/soccer balls/swimming trunks, then I don't know what I'm supposed to get out of it.

And I mean, I say this as an unabashed fan of K-On, so it's not like I have some kind of inherent distaste for slice of life stories.

They're appreciating how accurate the instruments are depicted, so yes.

Can people appreciate nice background art in otherwise mediocre anime?
Not to be metaphysical about it, but sure. But isn't it a bigger problem if the anime is, in the example of your reply and not in regards to Sound Euphorium, 'mediocre'?

Ah, doy, how could I forget. The Order 1886 is the perfect example of this phenomenon in recent memory.

Theonik

I mean, I know I'm the guy who is blind and doesn't give a shit about sakuga so my perspective when it comes to anime is entirely skewed, but I mean... if it's just another sports story with brass instruments instead of basketballs/volleyballs/soccer balls/swimming trunks, then I don't know what I'm supposed to get out of it.

And I mean, I say this as an unabashed fan of K-On, so it's not like I have some kind of inherent distaste for slice of life stories.

Not to be metaphysical about it, but sure. But isn't it a bigger problem if the anime is, in the example of your reply and not in regards to Sound Euphorium, 'mediocre'?
You can reduce a show to its components to try and rationalise this kind of stance I suppose but you can do it with literally everything so all you end up saying is you don't like the show which is fine, but that people appreciate the technical achievement of an anime is not particularly odd.

Well that kind of attention to detail is secondary and won't do much to save an otherwise bad anime. However, if a well done show I can appreciate these details just the more.

Now I'm not sure how Hibe is going to turn out, but I certainly am not inherently averse to a 'simple' story if it's very well executed, as Theonik says.

Mature

based kyogods and the sexiest drawn (french) horns ever

9JeqEZI.jpg

Look at that shit.

Look at that motherfucking attention to detail on the slides, rotors, and hand position. Even the solderings are in the correct spot. Jesus.

She's even holding it on her body in the correct location for a younger player.

They even made it drawn as a double instead of a single and have all the tube lengths the correct size. If they show how they empty the spit out I may just lose it, because on horn it's a ridiculous process that has to be done A LOT.

You can even see a digital tuner on her stand.
Horn otaku

City Hunter 1-5
I'm in love with this.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
You can reduce a show to its components to try and rationalise this kind of stance I suppose but you can do it with literally everything so all you end up saying is you don't like the show which is fine, but that people appreciate the technical achievement of an anime is not particularly odd.
Yeah, I think I'm probably up my own ass right now, but it just got me thinking is all. If Kaze Tachinu or Kaguyahime turned out to be shit films, would they still be worthy of praise by virtue of how they looked? Like is the fact that they spent 5 years of their lives painstakingly hand animating the films enough, because it's animation and the craft is the most important part of the text?

Thoraxes

It's up to how much you appreciate what you tend to appreciate.

I think the show is awesome in general, but I don't really care about using the popular or critic opinions when trying to decide on what I should like or dislike.

As far as my viewing habits go, I tend to appreciate (and focus more on) the craftsmanship that goes into visuals (art and animation processes) and sound design (compositions, sound effects, foley work, VAs) more than story. Stuff like that increases the enjoyment I derive from something more than a good story.

Horn otaku

It's been my principal instrument for over 15 years now!

fertygo

Yeah, I think I'm probably up my own ass right now, but it just got me thinking is all. If Kaze Tachinu or Kaguyahime turned out to be shit films, would they still be worthy of praise by virtue of how they looked? Like is the fact that they spent 5 years of their lives painstakingly hand animating the films enough, because it's animation and the craft is the most important part of the text?

Redline still got those technical praise despite being mediocre movie, and I think the same can be said to your favorite movie. the one about floating in space.

OceanBlue

Ah, doy, how could I forget. The Order 1886 is the perfect example of this phenomenon in recent memory.
Mmm, I think the mediocrity is only a big deal if you can't get anything out of the show. I think even if the direction in Sound Euphonium was worse, people would still appreciate the attention to detail in the instruments. Whether that (or some sort of band nostalgia) would be enough for someone to remain interested in the show would just depend on the person.

Yes, they would still be worthy of praise by virtue of how they looked. It's not about how important one quality is versus another or how important something is to the overall product. Someone can say that a movie is visually appealing without implying that the movie's story is good or without making a statement on how everything comes together in a movie.

Edit: Also I don't think it's weird to try and understand what people see in something. I personally think the direction is good enough, the animation is good enough, and most importantly the girls are cute enough that I'm willing to continue watching. If you can't find any reason to be interested in the show, I think it just means you value things differently than the people who might be really enjoying it. Not that I'm saying you have to enjoy what I enjoy in order to enjoy Sound Euphonium lol.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Redline still got those technical praise despite being mediocre movie, and I think the same can be said to your favorite movie. the one about floating in space.
Touche. lol
Although I think Interstellar has shown that you don't need to bloat a science fiction story for the sake of trying to make something more intelligent than it seems. Or, to put it another way, if a hack director like Brett Ratner directed Gravity, it could still theoretically be a watchable movie about a depressed woman being isolated and struggling with the decision of whether or not she should try to find a way to live.

(I'm apparently one of the few people who hates Redline though, so that film's technical merits didn't really work for me at all).

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Mmm, I think the mediocrity is only a big deal if you can't get anything out of the show. I think even if the direction in Sound Euphonium was worse, people would still appreciate the attention to detail in the instruments. Whether that (or some sort of band nostalgia) would be enough for someone to remain interested in the show would just depend on the person.
Perhaps subconsciously I'm annoyed that I'm never getting another season of Hyouka and that makes me disappointed in anything KyoAni does now. lol

Yes, they would still be worthy of praise by virtue of how they looked. It's not about how important one quality is versus another or how important something is to the overall product. Someone can say that a movie is visually appealing without implying that the movie's story is good or without making a statement on how everything comes together in a movie.

Edit: Also I don't think it's weird to try and understand what people see in something. I personally think the direction is good enough, the animation is good enough, and most importantly the girls are cute enough that I'm willing to continue watching. If you can't find any reason to be interested in the show, I think it just means you value things differently than the people who might be really enjoying it. Not that I'm saying you have to enjoy what I enjoy in order to enjoy Sound Euphonium lol.

Yeah, I know I'm already weird in that I prefer to follow writers over animators/directors when it comes to anime.

It's why I can like something like Oregairu, which as an anime is probably the most average looking show ever, but has decent characters (for an anime). Or even something like Gintama, which would otherwise be called cheap in the grand scheme of anime production.

Well, I saw this linked yesterday on reddit.

WARNING - 100 billion images, many NSFW
So many imbedded twitpics that it killed my browser for a minute. lol

fertygo

Touche. lol
Although I think Interstellar has shown that you don't need to bloat a science fiction story for the sake of trying to make something more intelligent than it seems. Or, to put it another way, if a hack director like Brett Ratner directed Gravity, it could still theoretically be a watchable movie about a depressed woman being isolated and struggling with the decision of whether or not she should try to find a way to live.

True Detective won't be the same without Cory and cheap cinematography budget, you sound ridiculous.. hypothetical aside, these so called "great" thing only exist because the talent behind it, they have more technical capabilities than others.. so making hypothetical about "what if Kishi Seiji directed Kaguyahime instead Takahata" is pointless, because such a limited talent won't make movie that more talented person had view kickstarted it at the first place.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
True Detective won't be the same without Cory and cheap cinematography budget, you sound ridiculous.. hypothetical aside, these so called "great" thing only exist because the talent behind it, they have more technical capabilities than others.. so making hypothetical about "what if Kishi Seiji directed Kaguyahime instead Takahata" is pointless, because such a limited talent won't make movie that more talented person had view kickstarted it at the first place.

Well, we'll see what True Dick 2 looks like with Justin Lin at the helm. Although people talking shit about Pizzalator has kind of dimmed my view of him in my eyes, I still maintain that the strength of the show was the writing and the performances.

fertygo

Well, we'll see what True Dick 2 looks like with Justin Lin at the helm. Although people talking shit about Pizzalator has kind of dimmed my view of him in my eyes, I still maintain that the strength of the show was the writing and the performances.

Well Justin Lin had his way around Camera too, if the script is good.. who knows, better comparison might be Daredevil netflix show to other marvel tv that produced cheaply lol

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Well Justin Lin had his way around Camera too, if the script is good.. who knows, better comparison might be Daredevil netflix show to other marvel tv that produced cheaply lol
I think Flash/Arrow already prove that good writing matters more, since all those shows look so cheap. lol

Eureka Seven - 46

Dude, you're into some really weird shit.

Always bothered me how unfazed Renton reacts to all these inhuman aspects of Eureka. This time around she grows fricking gooey butterfly wings and he apparently gets a boner on first sight. How about have him be grossed out at first but quickly concluding that it isn't an issue? Something of a more human reaction.

The end of the episode Renton finally encounters
his sister. Her importance was very apparent in the first episode already but with how this show drags everything out... well, at least Holland's background story included her too.
Or does he? Could be illusions or stuff.

CorvoSol

Eureka Seven - 46

Dude, you're into some really weird shit.

Always bothered me how unfazed Renton reacts to all these inhuman aspects of Eureka. This time around she grows fricking gooey butterfly wings and he apparently gets a boner on first sight. How about have him be grossed out at first but quickly concluding that it isn't an issue? Something of a more human reaction.

The end of the episode Renton finally encounters
his sister. Her importance was very apparent in the first episode already but with how this show drags everything out... well, at least Holland's background story included her too.
Or does he? Could be illusions or stuff.

How Can You Say You Love Her if You Don't Love Her Mutations?

Yahari Ore no Seishun Love Comedy wa Machigatteiru. Zoku episode 2

Great episode and really liking start of this season, Hikki's methods are the best, it's gonna make some explosive scenes later on.

Lain

Saekano 0

Seems OK.
Actually, I feel like this could have been the only episode and it would have been the perfect start-end.

Eureka Seven - 47

They're really going forward with this stupid "Question Limitation", something which not only makes little sense in its application here, but also seems entirely disconnected from any themes as well as the rest of the plot. Why not do something more interesting with the Coralian instead? What a poorly manufactured final threat/conflict.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
Toothbrush.gif is love
dcdpab.gif

Renton is a gentleman and a scholar.

Hestia is so adorable.
Will be waiting for the non credit gif /webm

Punchline 1

This is stupid fun. The show have that "Scott Pilgrim/video game" like style.
The world got destroyed twice because panty.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom