• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2015 |OT| The Disappearance of YEAARRT!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cornbread78

Is it okay to pick up chick's in dungeons ep2

Alright GAF, outside of Hestia's true goddess status, thus show is actually really good. I mean, it sucks Hestia won't be the #1, but it has been really good so far especially by adding the action and Bell not being a lil' biotch.

Taruranto

Lies.

There were five of them.

Darker than Black 25 END

congratulationsyusdi.gif

Is what I would tell you Hei if the ending of the show you've, I hope unwillingly, found yourself in wasn't a complete failure in tackling any of the big questions regarding the mythology of the series. Even the few answers I got were vague as hell and didn't make a lot of sense. I suppose when you're trying to ape NGE ending making sense is the last thing your mind.

Darker than Black is this weird show that is never really bad but nor is it ever really good. It's just so ... utterly mediocre. It's competently made, has the best cat character and some really neat tracks from Yoko Kanno but other than that it's just middling. The Yin – Hei, relationship, Hei's past and his sister and then the appearance of Amber (best character) did keep me trucking along but with this ending, all of it ultimately didn't amount to much.

I do appreciate the decision to stuck to the 2 episode per story format, which gave the various stories that played out there a bit of room to breathe. If they tried to cram them into the usual 20 minute slot I would probably hate most of them but as such, they're bearable and progressively introduce the important concepts and characters of this universe. Oh and I really loved the previews. It's pretty much the only show where I consistently watched them. Yin's noir narration + the music = so gooood.

But overall, it's a pretty forgettable show.

DO NOT WATCH SEASON 2.

I REPEAT, DO NOT WATCH.

SCChappy

Banned
I'd be very very very surprised if Nisekoi ended with anything other than Raku x Chitoge.

The way the manga is progressing really makes me think it can't be anything else. There's actually been development for their relationship while Raku x Onodera is the same its always been. Given how the one-shot only had Chitoge (which doesn't really mean that much tbh) and how she keeps being pushed as the face of the series I think she's the most likely.

But then again, it'll probably just end with a non-ending and nobody will win.

Wow this anime season is terrible. Not a single must watch.

Arslan Senki
Probably the best of the lot, but still not saying much. Read a bit of the manga before ad it never really hooked me.

Denpa Kyoushi
Crap. Anime fanwankerry.

Fate/stay night: Unlimited Blade Works 2nd Season
Lipstick on a pig.

Gunslinger Stratos: The Animation
Generic start. Will check to see if it will improve next episode but yet again the japanimation industry shows it's undying love for repeating the same character dynamics over and over again. "She felt like a little sister", stop with this shit.

Hibike! Euphonium
I tried to watch this but the permablush is too distracting/annoying. Will try again.

Kekkai Sensen
Trying WAYYYY to hard. Like it could even be semi decent if it wasn't trying every second to be over cool. The move names, the scenario, the designs, everything seems like it was designed by committee and box ticking. Even has the disabled little sister, who the older brother dotes over. It's embarrassing.

Kyoukai no Rinne
The surprise hit so far!. Casually shoujo without: unnecessary blushing, characters with a million traits, childhood friends as love interests, supermodel characters or "Why does the most popular person in the school talk to me"? And pretty funny to boot without people shouting at the top of their lungs? What is this madness?

Owari no Seraph
Meh. The ending with the "prophecy" pretty pissed me off as it had managed to hold itself up from the dregs of mediocrity before that but I'll see how it is next episode as the scenario isn't complete dogshit.

Punch Line
KYAAA!!! Burn this trash in the bin.

Razmos

Watched episode 1 of Yurikuma Arashi back when it first aired, but only got around to continuing the series now. Just finished episode 3, and i'm.. still confused. But it's had a genuine few shocking moments so far (as well as KUMA SHOCK, which is my new favourite thing ever)

I loved Mawaru Penguindrum (and have the entire series on DVD) so I kinda knew what to expect, but it's a lot.. crazier.

Let's initiate the exclusion strategy!

(also whats with all these lesbians calling each other just friends? is that a censorship thing? or is it a fanservice "These girls love other girls but they don't say that so they can still be my waifu" sort of thing?)

zulux21

I'd be very very very surprised if it ended with anything other than Raku x Chitoge.

The way the manga is progressing really makes me think it can't be anything else. There's actually been development for their relationship while Raku x Onodera is the same its always been.

heh... it's gonna end without him choosing anyone :p

Jacob

Darker than Black 25 END

Darker than Black is this weird show that is never really bad but nor is it ever really good. It's just so ... utterly mediocre.

I'm probably in the minority here, but I actually really like Darker than Black, in part for the positive reasons you mentioned (including the music and Mao the cat). I agree that the ending was bullshit, but I enjoyed the show more as an almost anthology series for the first 20 or so episodes until their attempt at having a proper arc at the end. Hei was obviously the main character of the series as a whole, but he was rarely the main character of any given two episode mini-arc, and I really enjoyed seeing all the different angles of the city and meeting so many different memorable characters (well, I found them memorable anyway. Especially the detective guy and his assistant, although their names escape me at the moment). The Cold War-esque noir tone coupled with the sci-fi and supernatural elements was really effective for me, and I think that most of the mini-arcs told good stories. I wouldn't call the series one of my all-time favorites, but I do like it a lot.

DO NOT WATCH SEASON 2.

I REPEAT, DO NOT WATCH.

The kindest thing I can say about S2 is that it's not complete trash, but yeah, it drops almost everything that I liked about the first season and replaces it with material that is a lot more miss than hit.

cajunator

Banned
Watched episode 1 of Yurikuma Arashi back when it first aired, but only got around to continuing the series now. Just finished episode 3, and i'm.. still confused. But it's had a genuine few shocking moments so far (as well as KUMA SHOCK, which is my new favourite thing ever)

I loved Mawaru Penguindrum (and have the entire series on DVD) so I kinda knew what to expect, but it's a lot.. crazier.

Let's initiate the exclusion strategy!

(also whats with all these lesbians calling each other just friends? is that a censorship thing? or is it a fanservice "These girls love other girls but they don't say that so they can still be my waifu" sort of thing?)

Probably the latter.

Vylash

Hestia: The Animation 02

DDHLLIa.gif

you know, I was just watching this for Hestia but it's actually pretty good, the premise is still a bit flimsy but who cares when it's so fun

Jex

So, this seasons is looking fairly uninspiring so far. At most I can see myself watching Gintama, BBB and Teekyuu but I can't foresee any of those being "excellent".

Lots of people, no doubt, are enjoying titles like Dungeon ni Deai wo Motomeru no wa Machigatteiru Darou ka, Nisekoi and Shokugeki no Soma but those works do nothing for me.

I must confess that I haven't even tried Euphonium but the subject matter is of no interest to me. I'm sure it will be well produced but unless I hear that it's truly special a la Hyouka I don't even see any point in checking it out.

In these kind of horribly dead seasons there's usually a title or two that I had never thought about but that nevertheless emerges as a series of note after a weeks. Hopefully that happens here as well or else I'll probably just stick to a limited backlog of titles.

cajunator

Banned
So, this seasons is looking fairly uninspiring so far. At most I can see myself watching Gintama, BBB and Teekyuu but I can't foresee any of those being "excellent".

Lots of people, no doubt, are enjoying titles like Hestia, Nisekoi and Shokugeki no Soma but those works do nothing for me.

I must confess that I haven't even tried Euphonium but the subject matter is of no interest to me. I'm sure it will be well produced but unless I hear that it's truly special a la Hyouka I don't even see any point in checking it out.

In these kind of horribly dead seasons there's usually a title or two that I had never thought about but that nevertheless emerges as a series of note after a weeks. Hopefully that happens here as well or else I'll probably just stick to a limited backlog of titles.

Show By Rock will change your heart eventually.

Jex

After checking out the Gintama OVA and first episode I can confirm that Gintama remains Gintama.

Which is good news for Gintama fans which should be, by extension, everyone in this thread.

Lots of people, no doubt, are enjoying titles like Hestia, Nisekoi and Shokugeki no Soma but those works do nothing for me.

Time to rewatch Cross Ange!

Arcadius

Banned
Tsuritama

Now this was a fun show. To start off, the art style and colors used were so pleasantly nice to watch, the entire show could have been art and I would okay! Really loved the blue skies and the ocean, the grass and the way the characters were drawn; just an overly cute type of style.

The show also has one of the best opening and ending "scenes" with some incredibly soothing music to go along with it. Most of the time, after watching the opening and ending, I begin to skip it, but for Tsuritama, no way! Every second was a joyous occasion.

I also loved the story too, throughtout most of the show, it was simply about fishing and finding friends in unlikely ways, being able to open up to others when one is used to being alone, really interesting and well thought out story.

I especially liked the cast for the show, they were all different with their own problems to overcome, Yuki's "Demon Face" is incredibly funny and seeing him just walk away from class or people had me in tears of laughter, loved it. Haru was really funny and ecstatic, a perfect person to play the humor angle.

Because this show was good, there are some parts I really really liked.

Episode 3, when Yuki is learning to cast and is having a hard time doing so, when he's out in the rain practicing, yelling Enoshima Bowl over and over again, with the "Demon Face" he had, was so touching I cried.
Episode 7 had an inevitable turn of events happen, but I really disliked that Natsuki smacked Sakura for trying to cheer him up on his birthday, really felt bad for her; at least in Episode 8 Natsuki starts to grow a bit and realizes the emotional strain he's been putting on Sakura and the family, so it was touching to see this happen.
Episode 10/11 is when something truly crazy happened,
the whole island has gone wild and a missle goes off and hits Hemingway while Ayumi is there getting fishing rod, Episode 10 ended on that cliffhanger and for a moment I thought Ayumi died, thankfully in Episode 11 they quickly go and reassure the viewers that he's just hurt, but very much alive!! Thank goodness =).
Episode 12 had a cool twist too, which I didn't see coming.
Haru was actually supposed to be a lure, and the way the Enoshima Bowl scene went was so coooool. It's rather unfortunate we never really see the dragon or atleast I didn't catch him, but the ending was very touching. The absolute end of Episode 12 was funny too, with Urara and Haru both going back to school, that made me really happy.

I hope a season 2 happens, more slice of life with that art style and with the cast would be great.

Note: I figure most slice of life and happy shows (actually, most anime I figure) like this will probably get me to cry or have some emotional pull on me, if that bothers you, I'll try and tone it down it or something, but I really enjoy it.

Lots of people, no doubt, are enjoying titles like Dungeon ni Deai wo Motomeru no wa Machigatteiru Darou ka, Nisekoi and Shokugeki no Soma but those works do nothing for me.

It's true that I've found myself starting quite a few series this season but all lack substance that will keep my attention. I'll probably use this season to catch up on my backlog as well and finally finish Mushishi, Ronja and Shirobako. I've also been meaning to get back to Aria.

SCChappy

Banned
I'm not really feeling the new opening and ending for Nisekoi. There are also some spots where the animation looks not quite all there.

Razmos

Yurikuma Arashi episode 4: Well that was a sad episode. It seemed more grounded and.. story focused than the ones before it. And the plot is starting to appear, maybe.

Loving the OP and ED more every episode.

Cornbread78

Hestia: The Animation 02

DDHLLIa.gif

you know, I was just watching this for Hestia but it's actually pretty good, the premise is still a bit flimsy but who cares when it's so fun

Yeah, the first two episodes are actually pretty good and the characters are decent so far yeah and there's the string goddess.

WonderzL

Banned
Just posting that I watched Gintama 1 & 2 and I was quite pleased! I think it should get better, so I'm hyped because these episodes were nice. Not 'omg awesome' but worth my time. And seeing that it gets better, I think I'm in for a good ride. Thanks for all the posts that made me watch it. I'm a sucker for shows breaking the fourth wall.

Cornbread78

Tsuritama

Now this was a fun show. To start off, the art style and colors used were so pleasantly nice to watch, the entire show could have been art and I would okay! Really loved the blue skies and the ocean, the grass and the way the characters were drawn; just an overly cute type of style.

The show also has one of the best opening and ending "scenes" with some incredibly soothing music to go along with it. Most of the time, after watching the opening and ending, I begin to skip it, but for Tsuritama, no way! Every second was a joyous occasion.

I also loved the story too, throughtout most of the show, it was simply about fishing and finding friends in unlikely ways, being able to open up to others when one is used to being alone, really interesting and well thought out story.

I especially liked the cast for the show, they were all different with their own problems to overcome, Yuki's "Demon Face" is incredibly funny and seeing him just walk away from class or people had me in tears of laughter, loved it. Haru was really funny and ecstatic, a perfect person to play the humor angle.

Because this show was good, there are some parts I really really liked.

Episode 3, when Yuki is learning to cast and is having a hard time doing so, when he's out in the rain practicing, yelling Enoshima Bowl over and over again, with the "Demon Face" he had, was so touching I cried.
Episode 7 had an inevitable turn of events happen, but I really disliked that Natsuki smacked Sakura for trying to cheer him up on his birthday, really felt bad for her; at least in Episode 8 Natsuki starts to grow a bit and realizes the emotional strain he's been putting on Sakura and the family, so it was touching to see this happen.
Episode 10/11 is when something truly crazy happened,
the whole island has gone wild and a missle goes off and hits Hemingway while Ayumi is there getting fishing rod, Episode 10 ended on that cliffhanger and for a moment I thought Ayumi died, thankfully in Episode 11 they quickly go and reassure the viewers that he's just hurt, but very much alive!! Thank goodness =).
Episode 12 had a cool twist too, which I didn't see coming.
Haru was actually supposed to be a lure, and the way the Enoshima Bowl scene went was so coooool. It's rather unfortunate we never really see the dragon or atleast I didn't catch him, but the ending was very touching. The absolute end of Episode 12 was funny too, with Urara and Haru both going back to school, that made me really happy.

I hope a season 2 happens, more slice of life with that art style and with the cast would be great.

Note: I figure most slice of life and happy shows (actually, most anime I figure) like this will probably get me to cry or have some emotional pull on me, if that bothers you, I'll try and tone it down it or something, but I really enjoy it.

Man, now your making me feel bad for taking a break from this after6-7 episodes as I got kinda bored with it. The colors are really nice and it is presented well though..

It's true that I've found myself starting quite a few series this season but all lack substance that will keep my attention. I'll probably use this season to catch up on my backlog as well and finally finish Mushishi, Ronja and Shirobako. I've also been meaning to get back to Aria.

You could always watchbet.

Have you tried Arslan Senki? It's like a coming of age story.

Arcadius

Banned
Man, now your making me feel bad for taking a break from this after6-7 episodes as I got kinda bored with it. The colors are really nice and it is presented well though..

Ah, yeah those episodes start off slow (I like slow), the story and pace begins to excel after that. You were close to finishing it, maybe you could. None-the-less, it's okay to find things like Tsuritama boring, no harm done; so don't feel bad! =)

Himemiya

Yurikuma Arashi(also whats with all these lesbians calling each other just friends? is that a censorship thing? or is it a fanservice "These girls love other girls but they don't say that so they can still be my waifu" sort of thing?)
Technically neither. In the rooftop confrontation in ep 3 you can hear Kureha saying kanojo but getting slammed by Yurizono saying tomodachi, interrupting or censoring her words.

Pooya

shirobako 3-6

This is well made, music is really nice, no surprise there but man it's so boring. These people have passion about making anime which is a utter garbage soul crushing job apparently, duh. Key animators don't do their job properly ever and make everything worse for everyone. CG this 2D that , I could just read this thread instead. this show isn't for me zzz

Pachinko

Full disclosure - I usually like animes filled with fan service. It's funny to me how some shows out there can cram shots full of boobs and ass into every nook and cranny of a storyline but I can admit that not everything needs it and the more lighter hearted comedic stuff tends to pull it off better than something that's otherwise serious.

Case in point - I noticed on crunchy roll today that Triage X had been added and having not been keeping up with anime gaf (this thread basically) I was surprised to see it was an anime. I was familiar with the comics , having purchased a few for their absurd cover art but laughably - I hadn't actually read any of them.

I decided to just watch the whole episode and was amazed the show actually has a pretty cool premise - the Hospital staff you'd normally associate with the word TRIAGE are, in this case- trained killers who eliminate cancer from a patient. The patient being a city and the cancer being crime bosses.

Had this been an 80's anime like Golgo 13 I could see this premise going places but , instead it's from the guy who brought us high school of the dead so it's filled to the brim with highschool girls that all have J cup breasts and in this case I can see it slowly bringing the shows cool premise down a notch. By my count there were almost a dozen female characters showcased but not named in this 1 episode and almost all of them were walking fan service. If the tone wasn't so dark and serious I could see this working as a typical otaku show but instead I'm left scratching my head a bit.

I guess Shouji Sato just really likes drawing "soft" girls but he can't make a cool comic without overusing them ?

shirobako 3-6

This is well made, music is really nice, no surprise there but man it's so boring. These people have passion about making anime which is a utter garbage soul crushing job apparently, duh. Key animators don't do their job properly ever and make everything worse for everyone. CG this 2D that , I could just read this thread instead. this show isn't for me zzz

Shirobako picks up around episode 8 or so. I echoed the same sentiments about these few episodes when I was watching them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom