• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2016 |OT| Get a Season So Complicated

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trickster

I'm not sure why you would want them to go fast and burn through all the material? The series isn't even two years old, of course they are going a bit slow. It's not hampering the show.

thanks nisio

Oh I'm not saying it's the anime team's fault. Just that the anime reminded me how bad it was in the manga as well.

Re: Zero 03

zv8NPZj.jpg
fIh4PJR.jpg

Holy shit that was an incredible fight scene. Hell if the fight scenes stay as well done as they were here and the displays of power, this could be one of my surprises of the season.

DonMigs85

So far this season I'm digging Sakamoto. Still hoping Umaru and Nisekoi get new seasons eventually. I wanna see them cover Kirie's budding talent as a children's book author

John Blade

gto.jpg

I don't think I need to say much about this show or franchise as everyone here have watch it before (the anime or the live action drama) or read the manga which I heard is much better and tell a much detail story. Either way, Great Teacher Onizuka is a very fun show I have watch for a while. If you never watch it before, stop what you're watch right now and go watch it.

The story is simple to the point of cliche when you think about it. You follow a former Yzkuza, Onizuka, who is 22 years old and still a virgin. His goal in life is to become a teacher but the best one of all time at that. Unfortunately, his luck is not on his side as he kinda put in the worst class out of the school where all the students don't give a rat ass of the teacher and will do anything to get him fired or quit. This begins the 42 episodes of epic trek where he slowly manage to get the students of his class over and try to found out their issues and problems and figure out a way to solve it. In the end, those students who attack him will eventually side to him to the point where they like him as a teacher.

Like I say, the story isn't too original but what make the show fun to watch is seeing Onizuka’s journey and how he is going to prevail, and how he is going to screw up along the way in his journey. It's fun to watch the entire class plotting against his effort to be the best teacher in the class and man, they did literally everything to get him out. Also, this isn't the only issue Onizuka have to fight with. The vice principal don't really like him mostly because he isn't something he expect as a teacher which make sense as Onizuka isn't really what we want as teacher. He smokes, drinks, womanizer, and acts over the top for something minor which can turn back very quickly based in few situation he was in. Even with his flaw, you will get to love this guy.

I guess the mass appeal is seeing Onizuka in a ridiculous situations he is in and see what solution he manage to come up which is almost as ridiculous as the situations. It delivers quite well. The show manage to move you quite a bit in quite a few episodes which talk about the normal problems and issue a teenager have to deal with when they're in high school. In some, I actually understand the same feeling their felt in some characters as I know how it's in high school. Also, the show explore quite a but of how the school system is failing to prepare students for the real world of life and more focus on the test scores which is understandable in today time. For Onizuka, he doesn't care about those at all and more focus of life lessons and want the students to have a good time and understand life itself which you pick up at the end of each situation.

If I have any issue with the show, I guess in come down to two area. For one, some of the story of the episodes are kinda not interesting or start slow. One I think off is the introduction episode of Nao Kadena the nurse of the school which didn't bring much on the table even though you will see her more in later part of the show. Kinda feel like they isn't much important to bring onto the table. The other one I can think is the incident of the summer vacation money where it was stolen. To me, it start much slower than I want but if you stick with it for a bit, it get to the most fun part of the show which I love as how Onizuka manage to beat all odd to get to the conclusion.

The 2nd issue I have with the show and it's the common one is the ending. The ending itself is weird as it just come in out of nowhere as they didn't really set it up for it. By the way it end, it's kinda disappointed as you kinda want Onizuka to be back with his class one more time. In a way, if they end it the way two episode before it, I might be okay as it's kinda end full circle with the two characters in the show. Still, even with this disappointed ending, it shouldn't stop me liking the show.

Overall, what a fun show to watch from beginning to almost the end I have watch this year.

tumblr_mzptc430du1rnb3h0o1_500.gif

JulianImp

thanks nisio

The whole story is set in motion when Araragi catches a glimpse of Hanekawa's panties and goes off to buy some, uh, "stress-relief material", so yeah...

I believe most of the fanservice could actually be 'sanitized' by changing some scenes (ie: Shinobu talking to Koyomi in nise could've happened in places other than a bathtub), skimming over others (Hanekawa + Gahara implicit shared bath) and so on. Stuff such as Black Hanekawa probably wouldn't work at all though, since
__he__
was basically
a manifestation of Hanekawa's pent-up stress from having feelings for Koyomi while he's in a relationship with Gahara

Hachikuji would probably suffer the most though, since her gags either involve "sorry, I stuttered" or getting harassed by Koyomi. The weird thing is that she had one of my favorite arcs in Shinobu Mail, but she was used way too many times as loli bait (and helping Koyomi find people, oddly enough).

Unfortunately that's an issue which isn't isolated just to one anime series!

I actually find it worse here than in say Strike Witches (just because that was the last show I quit on this issue) because that show is at least up front about it. This show seis otherwise a relatively innocent SoL comedy about a shrine maiden trying to broaden her horizons by getting out of her small town and their treatment of her as a toy. It's like the proverbial fly in my soup, it's a small thing but it's so damn off putting I can't enjoy the rest.

You're not wrong though.

Edit:
The whole story is set in motion when Araragi catches a glimpse of Hanekawa's panties and goes off to buy some, uh, "stress-relief material", so yeah...

I believe most of the fanservice could actually be 'sanitized' by changing some scenes (ie: Shinobu talking to Koyomi in nise could've happened in places other than a bathtub), skimming over others (Hanekawa + Gahara implicit shared bath) and so on. Stuff such as Black Hanekawa probably wouldn't work at all though, since
__he__
was basically
a manifestation of Hanekawa's pent-up stress from having feelings for Koyomi while he's in a relationship with Gahara

Hachikuji would probably suffer the most though, since her gags either involve "sorry, I stuttered" or getting harassed by Koyomi. The weird thing is that she had one of my favorite arcs in Shinobu Mail, but she was used way too many times as loli bait (and helping Koyomi find people, oddly enough).

Entry #1 in my personal list of 'Amazing Shows I Also Kind Of Hate' and Hachikuji's story is probably my favourite arc (yet to watch Owarimonogatari)

ibyea

Banned
Concrete Revolutio 15

Wow. Real wild animation this episode.

I also appreciate how many of the plot threads the show has set up are actually getting delivered on. The finale of season 1 already made me happy and hopeful, but this gives me an even stronger belief that the show will be able to deliver a satisfying ending.

I really love the second one, it's my favorite scene of the episode.

And yes, this season is delivering so much using all the elements set up season 1, retaking them and shining a new light on them. These past two episodes have been amazing.

Guess Who

Banned

This is very different from the constant lolicon and siscon pandering. Hanekawa's at least a physically mature legal adult who's not Araragi's sister.

ibyea

Banned
Flying Witch: 2
Slice of life is not generally my thing but it's still nice.

Today's episode was weird in that it felt like two fifteen minutes episode in one. Is this how it's going to be in the future? Anyways, I liked the first part way better, as it tells me a little bit more about the whole magic thing and at the same time having that nice moment with the harbinger trying to make Chinoko like him.

The other half is just about cooking and the dream thing turned out to be about nothing, so meh. There was no structure at all and it was uninteresting personally.

Mailbox

My Hero Academia

I'd forgotten from trying to read the manga some time ago. But good fucking god the pacing in the show is horrid. 3 episodes in and all of it could easily have fit in the first episode.

Slow and deliberate isn't bad pacing.
Bad pacing would be if we went too quickly and finished the exam by the middle of episode 2.

For something like this, this pacing is pretty much perfect. Its slow, yes, but it works really quite well.

Reading the OP. That'll be the day.

It deserves to be looked at.

Edit:

Flying witch episode 2:

Nice and relaxing. With this and tanaka, I have my chill anime of the season!

My hero academia episode 3:
I actually really like how they showed more of the training and made than a higher focus. Its really kinda brushed aside a bit in the manga and we don't really get a proper look into how much work deku did for exam prep. Here, we see it a lot better. Loved it.

I do wonder if people will see the results of next episode as an ass pull though...
I can see it being something people won't like. Whatever.

Re:Zero episode 3:

Very interesting and high octane episode. Great fighting scenes along with some mystery and intregue.

Like, does puck know about all this stuff? Why did she give a different name? Why is that swordsman guy weird out about felt HAVING the emblem but not the emblem itself, nor weirded out about Satella?

There's a lot of questions positioned here and in a way that felt natural to me. I do think that guys final comment while looking at the moon was corny as all hell though. Otherwise, great episode!

I really love the second one, it's my favorite scene of the episode.

Indeed; visually speaking it is perhaps the best sequence of the entire show up to now. There's so much creativity to the motion and the effects; for instance, I really like the rough black scorch marks in this shot:

This sequence has all the things I like about Yutapon's sequences in, say, Towa no Quon, but here there's actually the narrative backing to give it emotional weight rather than just being pretty pictures.

And yes, this season is delivering so much using all the elements set up season 1, retaking them and shining a new light on them. These past two episodes have been amazing.

It's rare to have ambitious writing that's as tight as this in TV shows in general, let alone TV anime, let alone TV anime written by a writer with a reputation for messy and mediocre writing. It's really incredible. This is why I'm glad ambitious anime originals continue to get funded, even if they often end up artistic and/or commercial failures, because every so often you end up with a Concrete Revolutio.

Qurupeke

Mawaru Penguindrum 3

This was a lot more fun than the first two episodes. I'm not sure how exactly I feel about Ringo, as she creeps me out, but I really like her, a lot more than Himari. And her reaction to her beloved sensei's girlfriend was gold. Also, wow, a lot of sparkles, blushing and shiny lights in this anime.

Flying Witch: 2
Slice of life is not generally my thing but it's still nice.

Today's episode was weird in that it felt like two fifteen minutes episode in one. Is this how it's going to be in the future? Anyways, I liked the first part way better, as it tells me a little bit more about the whole magic thing and at the same time having that nice moment with the harbinger trying to make Chinoko like him.

The other half is just about cooking and the dream thing turned out to be about nothing, so meh. There was no structure at all and it was uninteresting personally.

I'm down with slice of life shows, but I find that Flying Witch, while adequate, doesn't have the warm atmosphere that gets me really invested in a show of this nature.

Mawaru Penguindrum 3

Also, wow, a lot of sparkles, blushing and shiny lights in this anime.

Ikuhara has his roots in old-school shoujo, so this comes second nature to him.

Mailbox

I'm down with slice of life shows, but I find that Flying Witch, while adequate, doesn't have the warm atmosphere that gets me really invested in a show of this nature.

I see where you get that from. Its definitely a more cool feeling show rather than a warm feeling show.

Like eating a peppermint pattie on a cool spring day rather a warm glass of milk by a fireplace, I'd say.

I find both to be good in their own ways though. To each their own.

ibyea

Banned
Indeed; visually speaking it is perhaps the best sequence of the entire show up to now. There's so much creativity to the motion and the effects; for instance, I really like the rough black scorch marks in this shot:

This sequence has all the things I like about Yutapon's sequences in, say, Towa no Quon, but here there's actually the narrative backing to give it emotional weight rather than just being pretty pictures.

It's rare to have ambitious writing that's as tight as this in TV shows in general, let alone TV anime, let alone TV anime written by a writer with a reputation for messy and mediocre writing. It's really incredible. This is why I'm glad ambitious anime originals continue to get funded, even if they often end up artistic and/or commercial failures, because every so often you end up with a Concrete Revolutio.

Yeah Sho Aikawa is delivering on this one! I am glad it's not a disappointment like Un-Go.

Wanderer5

Have to say, after years of doing otherwise, it feels nice to be actually be full legit when it comes to anime. I wanted to change that as I was returning to anime recently.

Mawaru Penguindrum 3

This was a lot more fun than the first two episodes. I'm not sure how exactly I feel about Ringo, as she creeps me out, but I really like her, a lot more than Himari. And her reaction to her beloved sensei's girlfriend was gold. Also, wow, a lot of sparkles, blushing and shiny lights in this anime.

Oh man the whole Ringo/sensei things got even more amusing after that actress comes in lol.

Well I'm finally over the edge. Going to start ConRevo tomorrow.

I watched the climax of Sword of the Stranger again. I really think such action will never be topped in animation ever. Gawd Damn.

Yes! I watch this too often and it never depreciates, always delivering a shot of joy when I have some brief downtime and throw it on. Yutapon works like a psychoactive substance on me.

Clov

I see where you get that from. Its definitely a more cool feeling show rather than a warm feeling show.

Like eating a peppermint pattie on a cool spring day rather a warm glass of milk by a fireplace, I'd say.

I find both to be good in their own ways though. To each their own.

Flying Witch is a great show to unwind to. It's nice to watch after a busy day. I agree that not all Slice of Life series need to have a warm atmosphere; Flying Witch has its own unique strengths that make it one of my favorites this season. In particular, I love how well it's blending the magical aspects with everyday life. The characters are also really pleasant to watch. It definitely has me excited to watch the next episode!

Kagewani S2 3

The direction was worse than it normally is, with several sequences portraying quick motion rather clumsily handled by the limited animation. The music and sound direction was as good as it ever is though.

gto.jpg

I don't think I need to say much about this show or franchise as everyone here have watch it before (the anime or the live action drama) or read the manga which I heard is much better and tell a much detail story. Either way, Great Teacher Onizuka is a very fun show I have watch for a while. If you never watch it before, stop what you're watch right now and go watch it.

The story is simple to the point of cliche when you think about it. You follow a former Yzkuza, Onizuka, who is 22 years old and still a virgin. His goal in life is to become a teacher but the best one of all time at that. Unfortunately, his luck is not on his side as he kinda put in the worst class out of the school where all the students don't give a rat ass of the teacher and will do anything to get him fired or quit. This begins the 42 episodes of epic trek where he slowly manage to get the students of his class over and try to found out their issues and problems and figure out a way to solve it. In the end, those students who attack him will eventually side to him to the point where they like him as a teacher.

Like I say, the story isn't too original but what make the show fun to watch is seeing Onizuka’s journey and how he is going to prevail, and how he is going to screw up along the way in his journey. It's fun to watch the entire class plotting against his effort to be the best teacher in the class and man, they did literally everything to get him out. Also, this isn't the only issue Onizuka have to fight with. The vice principal don't really like him mostly because he isn't something he expect as a teacher which make sense as Onizuka isn't really what we want as teacher. He smokes, drinks, womanizer, and acts over the top for something minor which can turn back very quickly based in few situation he was in. Even with his flaw, you will get to love this guy.

I guess the mass appeal is seeing Onizuka in a ridiculous situations he is in and see what solution he manage to come up which is almost as ridiculous as the situations. It delivers quite well. The show manage to move you quite a bit in quite a few episodes which talk about the normal problems and issue a teenager have to deal with when they're in high school. In some, I actually understand the same feeling their felt in some characters as I know how it's in high school. Also, the show explore quite a but of how the school system is failing to prepare students for the real world of life and more focus on the test scores which is understandable in today time. For Onizuka, he doesn't care about those at all and more focus of life lessons and want the students to have a good time and understand life itself which you pick up at the end of each situation.

If I have any issue with the show, I guess in come down to two area. For one, some of the story of the episodes are kinda not interesting or start slow. One I think off is the introduction episode of Nao Kadena the nurse of the school which didn't bring much on the table even though you will see her more in later part of the show. Kinda feel like they isn't much important to bring onto the table. The other one I can think is the incident of the summer vacation money where it was stolen. To me, it start much slower than I want but if you stick with it for a bit, it get to the most fun part of the show which I love as how Onizuka manage to beat all odd to get to the conclusion.

The 2nd issue I have with the show and it's the common one is the ending. The ending itself is weird as it just come in out of nowhere as they didn't really set it up for it. By the way it end, it's kinda disappointed as you kinda want Onizuka to be back with his class one more time. In a way, if they end it the way two episode before it, I might be okay as it's kinda end full circle with the two characters in the show. Still, even with this disappointed ending, it shouldn't stop me liking the show.

Overall, what a fun show to watch from beginning to almost the end I have watch this year.

tumblr_mzptc430du1rnb3h0o1_500.gif

reminder that if someone here hasn't watched GTO, they really should. Stop delaying such a top 5 show.

Only downside i'd say is to skip the last arc in the show and read up until the original manga finishes.

Ignore the continuation manga too.

JulianImp

Entry #1 in my personal list of 'Amazing Shows I Also Kind Of Hate' and Hachikuji's story is probably my favourite arc (yet to watch Owarimonogatari)

Mine's Hitagi End, because it worked great as a climax for Nadeko's arc while doing downright amazing things with Kaiki's character, filling the audience in on his fake relationship with Gahara and building her character as well. And all that happens while Koyomi's off to do something else, which shows flexibility in narrating a story without having to shehorn the MC in it directly.

Monogatari's obviously my favorite show, but I make a point of not suggesting it to everyone because of both the fanservice and how dialog-heavy it is (even if it's handled in a really dynamic way thanks to Nisio's writing and Shaft's abstract style).

This is very different from the constant lolicon and siscon pandering. Hanekawa's at least a physically mature legal adult who's not Araragi's sister.

I think Koyomi's actually 17, so I guess Hanekawa and Hitagi are also 17 (or might be 18), but I get your point. Still, the writing is good enough that I love the series even in spite of the blatant fanservice it displays at times, and how it tends to focus precisely on the younger girls (Karen, Tsukihi, Nadeko, Hachikuji* and Shinobu*, for the most part).

*: Actually 21 and over 500 year olds that only look like they're ten. Really.

brawly

reminder that if someone here hasn't watched GTO, they really should. Stop delaying such a top 5 show.

Only downside i'd say is to skip the last arc in the show and read up until the original manga finishes.

Paradise Lost, right? Haven't read it yet. People shouldn't sleep on the prequel though, Shonan Junai Gumi.

RE Zero 3

So good! Read the manga prior and the anime does it better. That ending also is not in the manga (but is prolly in the light novels) so I'm wondering what it means. My favorite ep out of all the shows this week.

They covered the first of 8 novels in 3 eps, so I guess the anime is adapting all 8 light novels? AWESOME!

Rainbow Days Episode 14

Well Mari at least became a bit more likeable but still
she actually wanted to get in Hashiba and everyones way so much that it led her to creying, I couldn't. Im glad he was able to at least get her to avoid that and come back

Hashiba's lines to Anna were great. He's such a great guy.

phaze

Onizuka teaches you that violence or IIRC driving motorcycle off the cliff, with your student in the seat, is a valid method of educating children. Disgusting.

Reading the OP. That'll be the day.
I actually did a few times this week.

On that note, the schedule could be updated a bit by now I think ? I allowed myself to pick a few show people seem to be watching to lighten your burden a tiny bit. ;p
Monday
17:00 - Bakuon!!
zICBjuj.png

19:35 - Hundred
zICBjuj.png

Tuesday
18:00 - Joker Game
zICBjuj.png

Wednesday
18:35 - Bungou Stray Dogs
zICBjuj.png

Friday
15:30 - Ushio to Tora S2
zICBjuj.png

18:05 - Terra Formars Revenge
zICBjuj.png

19:00 - Big Order
zICBjuj.png

Saturday
15:00 - Tanaka-kun Is Always Listless
zICBjuj.png

16:30 - Kiznaiver
zICBjuj.png

17:30 - High School Fleet
zICBjuj.png

You can't fool me, I saw the chart multiple times.
The tone of the show has nothing to do with whether or not it's sincere !

Cornbread78

Enride ep.3
I don't know, it's not really that bad at all, but it is really, really slow. We now have an idea of the central plot as well, but how interesting can they make this show?

Aki-at

Flying Witch - 2

Now isn't this the most relaxing little show this season but I'm not quite sure if that's a good thing heh, not as good as last week's episode I felt but the after credit image with the Harbinger and the cherry music got a laugh out of me.

My Hero Academia - 3

I'm not really feeling it, 3 episodes in and it's just not clicking with me. I've been bored for the most part but at least the animation quality is constantly good. I guess I'll drop it for now and pick it up again later if I feel like it, the overemotional nature of Deku isn't appealing enough for me and so far that's what the show's been selling most to me.

Ascheroth

RE Zero 3

So good! Read the manga prior and the anime does it better. That ending also is not in the manga (but is prolly in the light novels) so I'm wondering what it means. My favorite ep out of all the shows this week.

They covered the first of 8 novels in 3 eps, so I guess the anime is adapting all 8 light novels? AWESOME!

Yep, there are a whole lot of little details the manga left out, it seems. I'm really looking forward to when the anime surpasses my manga knowledge, which should be in about 3 episodes, I guess.

Mirai Nikki Ep 1-8

I think this is actually the tragic tale of a woman driven to homicidal insanity by her love for the most insipid, whiny and above all else stupid MC I have ever seen. I initially blamed Misuzu Togashi's reading of Yukiteru for this but as I've watched more episodes I think her going with a near constant state of breathless panic is the only thing she could do to try make the MCs actions make even a lick of sense.

The writing is utter, utter nonsense characters turn on a dime for no rhyme or reason and Yukki is willing to follow anyone who calls him friend no matter how obvious the trap. Yuno is stuck pointing out the obvious only to get yelled at by Yukki for it and then have to bail his stupid ass out again, she's yandere Cassandra.

It does at least explain the ugliness at the end of Big Order. Tsubaki's back story and the way it was used both for cheap shock and T&A here makes clear Big Order is not for me this season. Unless I read there's a character as strangely fascinating as Yuno is in this I'll content myself reading about the inevitable train wreck that Big Order will be on here.

Theonik

The difference is that one gets you banned, and the other gets you modded. Hiyo! Tip your waitresses.
LOL

I watched episode 1. I'll finish it before hell freezes over. Maybe.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I actually did a few times this week.

On that note, the schedule could be updated a bit by now I think ? I allowed myself to pick a few show people seem to be watching to lighten your burden a tiny bit. ;p

Thanks, though for fairness I think all new shows should be listed. Done Crunchy for now, will update the rest tomorrow.

However. I did get the too much text error when initially updating. Had to cut some descriptions down. Well now that I've seen some shows I can actually say what they are about rather than using the cryptic synopsises from MAL.

Mailbox

Are pretty much all shows on cruchy censored and hulu uncesored?

iirc outside of a few exceptions, crunchyroll shows the aired versions of shows, which tend to be censored.

No idea about Hulu though.

I know funi shows the censored, aired version until the BD releases, then they eventually put out the uncensored version.

JulianImp

Kiznaiver #3
Alright, so we kind-of Danganronpa. Could be entertaining at the very least if it either stops taking itself seriously or keeps going for more over-the-top drama like it has so far, but a middle ground would probably make it kind of boring.

Mailbox

You were just saying the other day that one can't expect every episode in a 2 cour show to be relevant. That's a good argument for shorter shows more than anything.

I guess a slight back pedal is in order then. What I meant by that was more along the lines of how every episode in a longer series (like a 2 cour) can't be expected to be hyper plot revealing and have tons of character development. That shows of that length can, and should spend some time and a few episodes as lead up and prep for future episodes to keep the pacing at a good clip and to keep material in a steady flow. (Like how Re:Zero's second episode is literally just prep for today's third episode)

I didn't mean that episodes had to be irrelevant. Sorry if thats how it read.

I guess I just feel like there are so many shows that just appear in the season and then just go and leave with the tide. having something with a little staying power, with a little longer length is always welcome to me. I fully get why there are so many 1 cour shows and how the vast majority of those give "go to the source material" endings, but its kinda sad when you get short 1 cour original shows that could (or at least seem to be able to) be 2 cours. Maybe Kiznaiver doesn't need 2 cours. If it doesn't and it ends up still being good, thats great. But we saw what happened with stuff like C:control and Comet Lucifer. Short lengths on original shows worry me. Short lengths on adaptations make me worried about endings.

If you consider how popular the split-cour format is these days, there are plenty of 2-cour shows coming out.

Fair enough. And I'm completely fine when a show does that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom