• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2016 |OT| Get a Season So Complicated

Status
Not open for further replies.

Just T

Kiznaiver: 2

This was pretty good, right up until the melodramatic ass scene with Chidori.

I still do not like her character.

zulux21

It's been really go so far, but almost everyone will put it after JoJo and MHA though.

It's likely going to be above MHA due to what is going to get adapted for MHA for me.
I will have to get to jojo, but so far part 3 as just been okay. It's enjoyable enough but far from great..

sadly with re:zero it's likely that it is the only anime adaption it will have as due to it being 25 eps, and the pacing it seems likely they will cover all the currently released material, meaning at the very least it could be 3-5 years before we can even hope for another season.

of course I don't know how the rest of the series will go. it could jump the shark by episode 13 and be horrible by the end and no one would want a second season :p

duckroll

MHA is overrated shounen garbage though. Boring story, unimaginative direction, decent animation I guess. Nothing exciting at all. What a disappointment.

i like MHA fine but I read the manga, which is also fine. It just has to air at the same time as Diamond is Unbreakable which makes it look way worse /notbiased

My Hero Academia is pretty okay in my book.

It's not fantastic to be sure, but I find myself enjoying the over the top superhero shenanigans.

Just T

Haven't watched the new episode yet but I've been enjoying My Hero Academia, it's a nice adaptation.

Worst shows I've seen so far this season is Mayoiga, Kumamiko (pretty much dropped), and Bakuon.

Mailbox

Speaking of worst anime of the season,

Can't wait for Hundred's 3rd episode tomorrow.
I have to catch up on Cerberus though... probably after Wednesday morning (my last final of the semester).

(Seriously though, you guys really need to rethink what "Garbage" and "horrible" mean. Jesus, sometimes the negative hyperbole in this thread makes me so very confused.)

Narag

Hundred's good though. It's anime distilled to its purest form and free of the baggage of ritualization that plagues so many other shows.

duckroll

I guess you are still disappointed Midoriya is not Batman.

That aside the story just simply isn't interesting. I mean, that angle was literally the only thing which I though the premise had going for it. Otherwise it's just another "I wanna get stronger" hero's journey which everyone has seen before. There are superheroes everywhere now - in movies, on TV, in anime, etc. This does nothing new and there are far better things to watch.

Mailbox

Hundred's good though. It's anime distilled to its purest form and free of the baggage of ritualization that plagues so many other shows.

If Hundred is anime in its purest form, then is Infinite Stratos the very soul of anime?

If I could turn Hundred into a powder and snort it, I would.

I could take all that ANIME in at once.

100% agree.

That aside the story just simply isn't interesting. I mean, that angle was literally the only thing which I though the premise had going for it. Otherwise it's just another "I wanna get stronger" hero's journey which everyone has seen before. There are superheroes everywhere now - in movies, on TV, in anime, etc. This does nothing new and there are far better things to watch.

I assume you're basing this only on what's been shown in the anime which, for the most part, is just intro to our main characters and players so far.

So, what I'll say is this. Midoriya was never Batman. He was never meant to be Batman. Its 1 part inheritance story and 3 parts "the virtues of heroism" story (so far at least. The manga, even after 80+ chapters has been build up). Its basically the same ideas that One Punch Man looked at but though a different angle. A VERY different angle. Not to mention that hero fatigue really shouldn't be held against the anime itself, but rather a statement of the current worldwide fetishism of heroes, but that's beside the point.

It seems like you expected something different, which sucks because I think that if the OT for the anime wasn't about how Deku was SMART but rather something more in tune to how the show and the manga really are, I think you would feeling different.

Jintor

MHA is great but far from being the best show of the season.

i haven't watched a lot so far but right now Flying Witch is really doing it for me.

tbh I kinda agree that MHA so far if you're not looking for a straight shonen superhero show isn't gonna do anything for you (hell, if you're looking for anything beyond that it might never do it for you. It's just one of those done RIGHT.)

Moaradin

Fun characters and strong writing isn't a reason to watch it?

And it's kinda weird to say the story isn't interesting when it hasn't even started in the anime.

Jintor

Midoriya said it himself, it's the story of how he became a psychohero. Sorry, a saikou hero. So it's all part of the story! Just no overplot yet.

MHA is a show that wants to grab you, I'm gonna hate myself for saying this, emotionally. It's supposed to make you laugh and tear up in the same episode.

So if you think it's really boring, it's probably because you doesn't work for you emotionally on any level.

And I can understand that.

duckroll

Fun characters and strong writing isn't a reason to watch it?

And it's kinda weird to say the story isn't interesting when it hasn't even started in the anime.

Maybe I don't think the characters are fun and I don't think the writing is strong? It's just a straight adaptation of a manga which I think is kinda meh. When everything else I'm watching is so much more interesting than this, it's hard to want to bother watching more of it.

SalvaPot

The story is tropey, yes, but it takes the tropes and gives it a spin of their own, honestly this first 3 episodes have really just touched the surface of what the show really is about. I am aware you read a bit of the manga (I don't know how much?) but the show is beloved for their characters more so than its story, that even now 80+ chapters in is starting to REALLY get into gear and throwing curveballs at the reader.

MHA is really not original on its premise and its not trying to be, its not trying to be edgy nor profound, at least not yet, what its set out to be its to be a fun relatable story that you can pop in your TV and let yourself immerse in. I'll hardly call it an overrated shonen when its carrying on its sleeve exactly what it is, a shonen made to be as appealing as possible without pandering to the lowest common denominator.

The hype is not because its the best shonen ever, but because its the purest shonen in a long time. If you don't like it that is fine, I guess, but trash... eh, that is harsh.

It seems like you expected something different, which sucks because I think that if the OT for the anime wasn't about how Deku was SMART but rather something more in tune to how the show and the manga really are, I think you would feeling different.

Hey now, my OT title was perfect, PERFECT YOU KNOW! The other option was Frog Factions 2 and I hate frog factions references, hate them!

Moaradin

I think so too but I'm familiar with the manga. Have you gone in blind or is this a case of you enjoying what you're seeing because you already know what's going to happen?

I read the manga so that part is true. I just love how great of an adaption it is.

Jintor

it's duckroll strong emotion day

/edit it's kind of funny because I don't know if there's anything about MHA i'd call 'standout' and go out and prolesthyse/advocate the same way I would, let's say, Gurren Lagann. It's just... solid. It's All Might. It's larger than life shonen done well. That's all, no more, no less.

Instro

it's duckroll strong emotion day

/edit it's kind of funny because I don't know if there's anything about MHA i'd call 'standout' and go out and prolesthyse/advocate the same way I would, let's say, Gurren Lagann. It's just... solid. It's All Might. It's larger than life shonen done well. That's all, no more, no less.

Is there blood involved?

blurr

I kind of get what duckroll said but that was just for the first episode, I liked the 2nd and 3rd albeit they're not drastically different from the first. Just pretty neat in what it does.

I heard/saw a bit of the HxH dub with Kurapika speaking, it was really good.

pbayne

12-Sai: Chiccha na Mune no Tokimeki 01 - 02

A show about 12 y/o girls buying bras, getting their periods, and going on their first datto. I was afraid it was gonna be super creepy, but it's really just cute. It's kind of like a more serious, long-form Galko-chan. I mean, it's not as good as Galko-chan, but what is? It's not bad, though.

Too lewd for me. I mean k-kissu without holding hands first? Get that filth out of here!
I agree it is a cute show but i cant help but be weirded out by the show at times.

Kieli

Swagamoto - 1

I enjoyed the episode, but mostly due to the fact that the source material is so strong.

Low budget really hurts it, despite the all-star cast.

Quasar

Bread Buddies 3 - Really shouldn't torture myself given I'm forced onto a no-bread diet against my will. 'Got an 'ara ara'. Yay.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom