• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2016 |OT| Get a Season So Complicated

Status
Not open for further replies.
The people who think MHA is bad are probably the same people who think TTGL or G Gundam is bad for their crimes of being too awesome and fantastical with hot-blooded characters and a fist-pumping OST and a general theme of telling you that you can be awesome too (moreso in TTGL's case than G Gundam's).

Because as we all know, that always means they have bad writing somehow.

What a bitter, fictional characterisation of people's criticisms. I like that you roped TTGL into it to align the dissenters against something of actual quality without them ever bringing it up. Clever.

Growing up, the anime we had on our public channels (if you had cable you had to be rich lol), was stuff like Detective Conan, Doraemon, Eva, Beyblade, Medabots, Shin-Chan, Pokemon and Digimon. I miss those simpler days. To us little kids there was no distinction between these anime or what people call cartoons. It was all the same and we had a blast watching them.

Cornbread78

G Gundam has been pretty good in small spurts, but I could not watch it for hours in a row without my head exploding with it's set pieces, lol. I'm still in the "Gundam of the day" format around ep.15, so maybe this changes later on though...

I'll clarify earlier. I'm watching MORE shows this season, but none of them come close to Erased and Konosuba for me as of right now. There are a couple that are hitting the Heavy Object/GATE tier, but.....

G Gundam has been pretty good in small spurts, but I could not watch it for hours in a row without my head exploding with it's set pieces, lol. I'm still in the "Gundam of the day" format around ep.15, so maybe this changes later on though...

I'll clarify earlier. I'm watching MORE shows this season, but none of them come close to Erased and Konosuba for me as of right now. There are a couple that are hitting the Heavy Object/GATE tier, but.....

I'm watching way less than last season. But I feel like the quality in these shows is more spread out, and there isn't just one show that obliterates all others. It could still be "honeymoon phaze" since we are still in the beginning. Adding on to that, I appreciate the fact that my stuff is really well spread out, with one show to watch every day except for Mondays.

My first gundam anime was the best one ever made: Gundam Wing. Followed closely by Mobile Suit Gundam 00 first season and Gundam AGE.

No gundam series has come close to them in my eyes.

Looking at some of the long running series like Gundam it's a real pain to know where to even start. Having read the ANN article I kind of understand why Macross is such a pain to access but I can't even find the Robotech stuff. I was delighted to see Macross Delta but it's clearly a weak refitting of an already not great OVA judging from the reactions o here.

Legal options are extremely limited as even with my having Funi (shockingly bad service, 4/5 times the stream hitches or fails), CR and NetFlix I have almost no Gundam content (beyond the excellent IBO) available to me. More annoying still it seems that the big robot genre is even more badly affected by licensing guff than any other, Cross Ange is on CR is region locked as are several other shows (such as Samurai Flamenco but NetFlix has that at least). Is it any wonder the ethically challenged methods for watching this stuff are so prevalent?

Does Daisuki work in the UK or Ireland? They conspicuously avoid addressing any region question on their FAQ and I'm wary of paying for a service that doesn't work in my region (as happened with Funi prior to the launch of Funi.ie).

Cornbread78

Kiznaiver - Episode 1
Wut.
Kiznaiver - Episode 2
Wut wut.

And you thought Mayoiga had some crazy people...

I think this show was made to watch while high outta your mind and that starts with the OP and then those funky creature things dancing around.....

I'm watching way less than last season. But I feel like the quality in these shows is more spread out, and there isn't just one show that obliterates all others. It could still be "honeymoon phaze" since we are still in the beginning. Adding on to that, I appreciate the fact that my stuff is really well spread out, with one show to watch every day except for Mondays.

C'mon man, Monday is Hundred / Cerberus day!

Does Daisuki work in the UK or Ireland? They conspicuously avoid addressing any region question on their FAQ and I'm wary of paying for a service that doesn't work in my region (as happened with Funi prior to the launch of Funi.ie).

Isn't all the stuff on Daisuki free?

M3 isn't really good though.

My interest was piqued during the Okada conversation a few pages back, I'm looking for a show that doesn't require a ton of foreknowledge of the lore. Concrete Revolutio also seems interesting but it's mid run right now and I'd like to watch an entire run. Gundam: IBO was excellent for this because despite being in one of the more expansive universes it sidestepped all that by focusing on a small company.

Any self contained series you'd recommend instead?

My interest was piqued during the Okada conversation a few pages back, I'm looking for a show that doesn't require a ton of foreknowledge of the lore. Concrete Revolutio also seems interesting but it's mid run right now and I'd like to watch an entire run. Gundam: IBO was excellent for this because despite being in one of the more expansive universes it sidestepped all that by focusing on a small company.

Black Rock Shooter

Edit: If you want to watch something really Okada that is :p

Principate

Saint Titanfall

Garo: Hono no Kokuin, Not the second season that was never made. But really there's a whole bunch of self containd classics. Okada's work itself contain's a few if your into that sorta thing

Cornbread78

Top 20 Harem's:

20: Mayo Chicki
19: Sekirei
18: ChäoS;HEAd
17: The Hentai Prince and the Stony Cat.
16: Demon King Daimao
15: Strike the Blood
14: Kiss x Sis
13: Heaven's Lost Property)
12: To LOVE-Ru
11: IS: Infinite Stratos
10: Date A Live
9: School Days
8: The World God Only Knows
7: Is This a Zombie?)
6: Nisekoi
5: Rosario to Vampire
4: I Don't Have Many Friends
3: The Familiar of Zero
2: High School DxD
1: Ouran High School Host Club

http://myanimelist.net/featured/1105

I just went through this list and I can't tell if it is right, or WAAAAY off the mark. How do you leave unlimited Fafnir and Champione! off that list?

EDIT:
How are Date a Live and Strike the Blood anyhow?

The people who think MHA is bad are probably the same people who think TTGL or G Gundam is bad for their crimes of being too awesome and fantastical with hot-blooded characters and a fist-pumping OST and a general theme of telling you that you can be awesome too (moreso in TTGL's case than G Gundam's).

I already posted my feeling on the My Hero Academia anime in the official thread, so I will just refer you to there to get an accurate portrait of my beliefs instead of whatever crazy fanfiction you're coming up with.

I just went through this list and I can't tell if it is right, or WAAAAY off the mark. How do you leave unlimited Fafnir and Champione! off that list?

EDIT:

I would have had Koreha Zombie higher on the list, well higher than Nisekoi. Heaven's lost property MC and the to love ru MC look really good, may watch just for them someday.

Date a Live is really good, and Strike the Blood is a good LN anime.
Data A Live has an awesome best friend (Tonomachi) for Shido, and for the girls side, kurumi is most entertaining.
tumblr_n4udw0w1hv1qbxqfpo1_500.png
tumblr_n4udw0w1hv1qbxqfpo2_500.png

Ascheroth

I've heard great things about Garo, haven't watched it myself yet (but plan to).

In terms of Gundam I'd recommend Gundam Build Fighters. Don't let youself be turned off by the 'kiddy' premise, it's excellent. It has a second season (but that one isn't as good as the first one and ends open to a third season, whereas the first one works pretty much standalone).

And Majin Bone. 52 episode anime based on a cardgame, but it's great. Extremely good and consistent character writing, no filler 'monster-of-the-week', very good pacing and story, great action (it's CG battle, but CG done right).

Defuser

Kuromukuro ep 1 - 2

I like this.

A guy from the sengoku era and his mech which got himself frozen till modern day fighting aliens? eh, at least it's something different from the generic plots of other shows.

OP is catchy to listen and watch.

I daresay the mech is impressive with it's animation and fight scenes, and this is PA works first time doing CG mech? I'm impress. I hope this show is 2 cours.

And fuck Netflix.

Top 20 Harem's:

EDIT:
ChäoS;HEAd? What madman wrote this?

Looking at some of the long running series like Gundam it's a real pain to know where to even start. Having read the ANN article I kind of understand why Macross is such a pain to access but I can't even find the Robotech stuff. I was delighted to see Macross Delta but it's clearly a weak refitting of an already not great OVA judging from the reactions o here.
Macross Delta isn't a refitting of anything. The first episode aired early in an unfinished state, but was actually improved when it aired more recently.

Ascheroth

Top 20 Harem's:

EDIT:

Man, the Rosario to Vampire pic is so sad. The manga is pretty awesome.

I looked for some anime vs manga Tsukune comparision pics and found this one pretty funny:

Cornbread78

Well I've only seen one of those shows, so I guess I just noticed I haven't actually seen many harem shows. Good for me.

You should catch up. There are some really good and non-trashy ones out there like:

3: The Hentai Prince and the Stony Cat.
2: Is This a Zombie?
1: The World God Only Knows

- Ouran High School Host Club:
I've heard really good things about this one, but the whole reverse harem thing; I'm not too sure...

Ehhh, not a fan. I want less stuff to watch but tighter quality. I feel like those 2 are just a rehash of shows I've seen before already lol.

Well, yeah. Its a reskinning just like our yearly Madden and CoD, but entertaining, lol.

EDIT:
Date a Live is a cocktease because there is a significantly more things going on with it that will never bee animated. Worth watching for Kurumi arc alone though.

Strike the Blood ended up being ok due to the battles, powers and the way the show ends in regards to the harem.

It's not actually a second season though. Just a totally different show in the same franchise! The actual sequel is still coming as a movie and looks awesome!
What are you two talking about? There is only Garo -Honō no Kokuin- and Garo: Divine Flame. Nothing else.

Cornbread78

Date a Live is a cocktease because there is a significantly more things going on with it that will never bee animated. Worth watching for Kurumi arc alone though.

Strike the Blood ended up being ok due to the battles, powers and the way the show ends in regards to the harem..

Now that alone has me interested...

Principate

Saint Titanfall
It's not actually a second season though. Just a totally different show in the same franchise! The actual sequel is still coming as a movie and looks awesome!

True, 3 trailer looked very good and it seems the main villain is a fallen night, so hopefully we get some high quality duels. Seems like everyone has mounts now so even some mounted combat!

e_i

Top 20 Harem's:

EDIT:

Since when is two girls count as having a harem? Also, no Love Hina or Negima?

Ouran Highschool Host Club? That's the only reverse Harem I've seen and one of the best shows ever. Too bad they'll never animate the manga ending :/

Cornbread78

Since when is two girls count as having a harem? Also, no Love Hina or Negima?

I had to look that one up:

Wizard Negi Springfield may be a boy, but he has a man-sized job to do! Fresh from the Academy of Magic, Negi continues his training as an instructor at Mahora Academy in Japan. But before he can get his Masters in magic, the 31 schoolgirls of Class 3-A are gonna keep him up all night cramming for a final exam in will power. Temptation aside, Negi has more on his syllabus than flirting and spells. Darkness is closing in, and Negi is gonna need help from his lovely student bodies to drive the ghouls from their school. These girls want to prove that they're the best in class, and extra credit is available to the cuties that aren't afraid of after-hours phantom fighting!
Interesting...

duckroll

Kuromukuro - Episode 1-2

Wow wtf. How have I been sleeping on this. Best looking PA Works show since The Eccentric Family, Okamura doing awesome mecha action, really smooth CG animation, and Inoue doing awesome character animation and action for TV anime?! So good!

The premise is pretty cool for a mecha show too. The female-centric characters and advanced research facility setting reminds me of Rinne no Lagrange, while the weird CG mecha designs remind me of Gigantic Formula. It definitely feels like its own thing though, with the man out of time, samurai action, and so on. Can't wait to see where this goes next!

Wanderer5

Lol at Rosario to Vampire being so high there (not that the list seems that great anyway). The anime was a piece of crap that spit on what was a very good manga.

Aki-at

Never watched either of those shows but being too awesome is why people don't like MHA? If it was awesome I would love the show but three episodes and only one minor villain fight, awesome it is not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom