• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2016 |OT| Get a Season So Complicated

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quasar

Macross Δ 03

i dont know if I'm missing anything by this being my first Macross thing but I'm not into this at all.

Maybe. Though I'm surprised you haven't seen any before. Of course I consider that about as odd as finding someone into anime whose not seen Bebop or Akira. Its that foundational to me. Of course the Harmony Gold business makes it a bit understandable.

Jintor

eh, I feel like there's no anime out there that are truly every single person i've met who is into anime has watched. even stuff like dbz or pokemon, i've met people who never watched it yet fell into anime somehow

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
My Hero Academy 3
Everything better with a montage, especially when the montage song is good. Like others has said, i like Boku no hero because it's a well made shonen. It's kinda like marvel movies in that regard (the good marvel one, not like Thor or First Avenger).

Macross is the one big anime series I've never poked into even a little bit until now, not counting stuff like Sazae-san or Doraemon

edit: guess i never watched railgun or index...those are big right

Quasar

eh, I feel like there's no anime out there that are truly every single person i've met who is into anime has watched. even stuff like dbz or pokemon, i've met people who never watched it yet fell into anime somehow

I've not seen those :) I've not seen any Gundam either. Or any of the super long/old shonen shows.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I've seen bits of DBZ, but not really the whole thing. Didn't have the right channel growing up.

Heck, I don't think I've technically seen the complete first series of Pokémon since they played episodes rather randomly in the UK. Like I've probably seen the Squirtle episode three times yet took years to finally see the first episode so I'm certain there are gaps.

Not seen DBZ since it was never on TV here :p

Line_HTX

Macross Delta 02

I sense a tsundere elf ear red haired pilot.

Fucking auditions were clearly rigged and Walkzure just wanted to test Freja's singing ability.

Hayate has some pure guts to jump off the flight deck and get carried back up by the wind. How did he know it was coming up? Like Arad said, he would die from that height, lol

Narag is the lazy ass mercat otter sleeping on that barrel.

JCG

Macross Δ 03

i dont know if I'm missing anything by this being my first Macross thing but I'm not into this at all. It's not good. Dropped

I haven't had enough free time and willpower to properly check out Delta myself yet, but Macross is arguably an even more diverse property than Gundam in terms of how much the content and execution can vary between each of its entries.

It's entirely possible that you'll enjoy one or more of the older TV shows despite having no interest in the most recent one. If you can accept the concept, the original series was very influential and still holds up rather well (aside from a few hilariously ugly animation sequences). For that matter, I'd argue Macross Plus is quite good as a self-contained OVA and is also worth checking out. But like I said before, you have to accept that Kawamori will literally throw anything at the wall in order to see what sticks (or at least lets a bunch of different people do that, since his role is more like that of an overseer who also happens to provide cool mecha designs).

Line_HTX

High School Fleet 01

Damn... this is some serious navy stuff. I thought it would just be the old cheerful moe type, but this gets into commanding the fleet during combat and while under attack, plus dissention among the crew, all in the first day!

Someone should definitely be punished though for taking the wrong direction and being more than three hours late to the destination.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
I've seen bits of DBZ, but not really the whole thing. Didn't have the right channel growing up.

Heck, I don't think I've technically seen the complete first series of Pokémon since they played episodes rather randomly in the UK. Like I've probably seen the Squirtle episode three times yet took years to finally see the first episode so I'm certain there are gaps.

Yeah, same.
I remember watching dragon ball bits by bits during its 10 years run (including rerun)

Qurupeke

Maybe. Though I'm surprised you haven't seen any before. Of course I consider that about as odd as finding someone into anime whose not seen Bebop or Akira. Its that foundational to me. Of course the Harmony Gold business makes it a bit understandable.
Hi.

blurr

My first foray into anime was via Ninja Robots although I hardly remember anything about it.

Then DBZ, Heidi and Pokemon stood out the most on CN (not sure if DBZ was first or Heidi).

Might've seen Gundam but again, I have no memory of which and what.

Watched a lot of others on Animax although not consistently or completely. It wasn't until 2013 that I was more dedicated and started watching & completing various anime.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
The nearest example, I can think of, of a show everyone has seen is Urotsukidouji by everyone in the UK.

That aside the story just simply isn't interesting. I mean, that angle was literally the only thing which I though the premise had going for it. Otherwise it's just another "I wanna get stronger" hero's journey which everyone has seen before. There are superheroes everywhere now - in movies, on TV, in anime, etc. This does nothing new and there are far better things to watch.

I warned you. You were never going to like it. It's incredibly standard and unambitious despite being consistent and good at what it tries to accomplish.

Jintor

i wonder if tv airing is still a consistent factor for popularity in today's on-demand age. Probably still right? Then again some of my younger relations have only ever watched youtube or other on-demand apps apparently

Like Duckroll MHA is doing NOTHING for me I read the manga a while back and it seemed ok but the anime nope nada nothing.

Macross Delta
Hundred
Joker Game
Kiznaiver
Gundam Unicorn

Have me covered with entertaining

Bakuon!! is okay but it made a REALLY lame castration joke that took me out of it but I'll give it couple more episodes to see if I stay on.

Terra Formars S2 Didnt do much for me either

I have 3-5 more shows I'd like to watch when they are a little further in so I don't have to watch them too slowly cause I have enough on my plate as it.

DiGiKerot

Yup same in Ireland, I've no idea why but this crap stands next to Akira as the anime everyone has seen over here

The distributor of the time went out of their way to deliberately stoke the fires of contraversy. It became pretty notorious thanks to the amount of negative and critical press that was purposefully being courted, and that led folks to track it down.

Kuma Miko 3
In today's episode
This came out
and help me I can't breath
omDOL.jpg

Cornbread78

It's about time for the three episode lists to start coming out, but I'm still really torn on everything, lol. I think I actually enjoyed winter season more at this point. I'll have think about it more though.

Quasar

It's about time for the three episode lists to start coming out, but I'm still really torn on everything, lol. I think I actually enjoyed winter season more at this point. I'll have think about it more, lol.

I am certainly watching less this season than the past couple.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
It's about time for the three episode lists to start coming out, but I'm still really torn on everything, lol. I think I actually enjoyed winter season more at this point. I'll have think about it more though.

We just went through single episodes lists.

MHA is a show that wants to grab you, I'm gonna hate myself for saying this, emotionally. It's supposed to make you laugh and tear up in the same episode.

So if you think it's really boring, it's probably because you doesn't work for you emotionally on any level.

And I can understand that.

Nothing in it was that emotional or even a gram as emotional as super lovers, shounen maid, or cerberus. Maybe the mom scene but otherwise it was just the same cheap emotion stuff that writers include just because. Plus since everyone already knows he would be a hero the sad emotion was kind of negated on the spot.

Cornbread78

MHA has surprised me so far since it has kept me interested and it has been pretty entertaining. Unlike so many others, I have no nestalgic or strong feelings towards it either way because I had never heard of or read the manga.

Ascheroth

I am certainly watching less this season than the past couple.

It's the opposite for me, haha. I haven't watched as many shows in a season in a long time, if ever. And so far my scale basically ranges from 'fucking great' to 'great', with probably only 2 shows in the 'morbid curiosity, but nevertheless enjoyable' range.
I may end up dropping a couple down the line, like every season, but so far I can't complain at all.

Macross Δ - 03

Yet another great episode, all those Freyja faces, so good.
I really like how both Hayate and Freyja are newbies in their respective field and struggle on their own, but bring out the best of each other when they work together. The song at the end was pretty good too.
What can I say, it has mechs, singing and romance and is just a lot of fun.

Ascheroth

To be fair, MHA anime pacing is extremely slow.

The 1st episode didn't even cover the 1st chapter.
(2.5 chapters in 3 episodes to be exact)

Yeah, but that has not been a bad thing so far. Slow pacing ≠ automatically bad and fast pacing ≠ automatically good.
You can fuck up both directions, but I'd argue MHA has been spot on so far.

The people who think MHA is bad are probably the same people who think TTGL or G Gundam is bad for their crimes of being too awesome and fantastical with hot-blooded characters and a fist-pumping OST and a general theme of telling you that you can be awesome too (moreso in TTGL's case than G Gundam's).

Because as we all know, that always means they have bad writing somehow.

Well that's a pretentious take on the matter.

Edited it to be more specific. I have no problem whatsoever with someone personally not liking those shows.

Saying they're bad however, is another thing entirely. I always see people just say it's bad writing when really the show just didn't do anything for them.

The people who think MHA is bad are probably the same people who think TTGL or G Gundam is bad for their crimes of being too awesome and fantastical with hot-blooded characters and a fist-pumping OST and a general theme of telling you that you can be awesome too (moreso in TTGL's case than G Gundam's).

The only problem with MHA is that it's almost too awesome? :p

Qurupeke

I definitely like this season more. I didn't watch Rakugo, so my AOTS of the past season was Phantom World, with my next favourite show being Konosuba...The rest were unremarkable.

At least, this season there are two new seasons for older shows(Jojo, ConRevo) that I really enjoy and stuff like Kuma Miko, Kiznaiver and Kabaneri that proved to be a lot more enjoyable than I expected. Even if I drop half the stuff I watch, there are still like 6-7 shows I like this season.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I think the real problem is that Kill Me Baby basically dampened everyone's expectations of the future. What's the point of watching more anime when we've already reached perfection?

It took the MHA manga a bit to get to a place where I thought it was interesting and I wouldn't fault someone for dropping the anime for thinking it wasn't interesting.

Hell I ended up dropping the manga.

I also think TTGL and G Gundam are bad anime. I will give G-Gundam this, it is good if you view it as a comedy.

jgminto

MHA is a competent show so far but I get very few strong feelings while watching. The one element of the show I enjoy is the appreciation of the classic superhero but that doesn't carry through the regular shounen action.
I also think TTGL and G Gundam are bad anime. I will give G-Gundam this, it is good if you view it as a comedy.
smh...

I grew up in SA in the 90s, so the Anime we had in national channels were dragon Ball, dragon Ball z, Ranma 1/2, Captain Tsubasa, Saint seiya. Fox Kids also had Pokemon, medabots and other similar shit. I think I never cared for Gundam or other robot fighting shows because I didn't grow up with them. Gurren Lagann was the first robot riding show I watched, and gundam seed my first gundam

But g gundam has started off great, TTGLs issues didnt happen until way later. G gundam could become epic tier if sai of neo china became a more relevant character and if domons suit on sequences stopped being skipped. However, Im only six or seven episodes in.

I also dont know if theme of telling you you can be awesome is accurate for heroaca, considering therers Bakugou and more.

Exalted

Same here, don't like either of them, i would probably put them in the same category as something as Cross Ange.

As for MHA i find it ok, probably in the same rank of entertainment for me as Twin star exorcists. Don't really like child MC that much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom