• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2016 |OT| Get a Season So Complicated

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dragon Ball Z: Yo! Son Goku and his Friends Return!

Dragon_Ball_-_Yo_Son_Goku_and_His_Friends_Return_x264mp4_snapshot_3037_20101208_203624.jpg

Yamcha and Krillin wore their Gi under their regular outfits. Talk about being crazy prepared.

I don't have much to say on this one. It's enjoyable but insubstantial. The character interactions were good, the animation was nice (if paler than usual), and the fight between Goten, Trunks and Abocabo was decent, even if it was basically going through the motions. Also Vegeta has a brother named Tarble, because... Vegetable.

Any show with a tsundere Kugimiyaloli as a lead is an automatically bad show to me and has to be pretty good for me to like it.

I'd look at Hayate the Combat Butler if you haven't already the first two seasons are good craic and pretty Looney Tunes in their tone, the third is good but is more plot heavy and that doesn't always work as well as the episodic nature of the first two seasons for me. It also helps that the lead has absolutely no romantic interest in the Kugumiyaloli so the show avoids falling into that ugly trap.

Narag

What I mean is that there is a certain type of narrative style and gravitas I associate with comics of the 60s and 70s and CR doesn't really match up with it. Just looking at characters like Earth-chan and Judas and Fuurota puts a hard cap on my ability to emphasize I feel. It's like if you took Ghost in the Shell: SAC and replaced the cast with the cast of SpongeBob and made everything neon-colored. The mismatch doesn't work for me.

Well I haven't seen every show on this list. Of the ones Ive seen I think MHA is worse than some and better than others. Which is fine, different opinions and all that but when I see

I get really confused. I mean I've been there - that feeling where you are 5 minutes into an episode and you are already questioning your life decisions and shit. But that's reserved for Mahouka tier anime not MHA. It seems a unusually strong reaction and thus I'm taken a back a bit.

You're a comic guy iirc, right? I think you might be like MPR and myself to an extent in that CR isn't really doing anything too new with the pushback against the idealized era. It was a common complaint I saw on twitter about how it didn't really say anything new. I think where it's interesting is the Japanese perspective of it all. sonicmj1 was the one to make that point and I readily agree. It's just so interesting to me how their pop culture icons are what's used to tell this tale.

Ascheroth

Also good, I'm a sucker for melodrama and boy howdy does Okada do that!
Well in that case you might still want to give M3 a try. Because melodrama is something it has a lot of.
(I've only watched half of it, but now I'm tempted to give it another try, since it seems my appreciation for Okada melodrama has gone up quite a bit recently, lol.)

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Man, the Rosario to Vampire pic is so sad. The manga is pretty awesome.

I looked for some anime vs manga Tsukune comparision pics and found this one pretty funny:

But that's what Tsukune looked like before they changed the art style to make it appeal to a shojo demographic...

Clov

I don't hate MHA. I just find it absolutely boring, and the buzz baffles me.

I'm not baffled at all. People always eat up these big shows that I couldn't care less about; maybe they like the premises of them because they're so familiar. It gives them something "new" without it being too different. In general people unfortunately don't like different, they'd rather have something that's similar to something else they like than try out something new that's potentially more interesting. The more generic you go, the broader your appeal is.

This isn't to say that everyone who likes MHA only watches shounen action series; maybe some fans of it also go out and watch the sort of stuff that I enjoy, like Rakugo, Ping-Pong, etc. I do think that this may be what gives work like MHA its broad appeal though. I'm sorry if this seems dismissive. I'm just trying to rationalize why so many people like a work that I can't help but feel looks very stale.

duckroll

Concrete Revolutio is a very good litmus test for whether a person really has an interest in the history of Japanese pop culture and social politics. This is not me saying "if you don't like it you don't get it" but rather that I think a lot of people like anime and manga for what it is but don't have a keen interest in the actual history of the medium and the historical relevance of the Showa era to Japanese adults today. That's fine though.

If you guys wanna talk boring anime then let me recommend Linebarrel!

I'm half way through since 2 weeks...and I don't know if I'll even power through it. It's very boring and everyone is dumb.

Narag

I've actually learned more about showa pop culture in the past 3 months than I ever had previously. I'm a terrible weeb.

I don't have an interest in any of those things and I like show while realizing the references are going over my head.

I'd look at Hayate the Combat Butler if you haven't already the first two seasons are good craic and pretty Looney Tunes in their tone, the third is good but is more plot heavy and that doesn't always work as well as the episodic nature of the first two seasons for me. It also helps that the lead has absolutely no romantic interest in the Kugumiyaloli so the show avoids falling into that ugly trap.
I cannot tell you how many times a year I think of watching that show and don't because I've never read anyone's impression of it.

Clov

Concrete Revolutio is a very good litmus test for whether a person really has an interest in the history of Japanese pop culture and social politics. This is not me saying "if you don't like it you don't get it" but rather that I think a lot of people like anime and manga for what it is but don't have a keen interest in the actual history of the medium and the historical relevance of the Showa era to Japanese adults today. That's fine though.

I really ought to watch this at some point. I might as well wait for it to finish and add it to my list of backlog shows I'll be watching this summer.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Sailor Moon Crystal Season III, Episode 3:

Ah, I see they have already toned down the anime personas which is a bit of a relief actually. Anyway, we get introduced to Hotaru and I had forgotten how yuritacular her relationship is with Chibi-Usa from the onset. This by the way makes her much more tolerable as it eases off from the world's most baffling love triangle. We also see Professor Tomoe and sadly I don't think we will be given even a hint of his 1990s anime alter ego. Let me see, tensions are still rising from the Outers and the Inners but a detail I had forgotten is that the tension worked both ways at the point because The Outers were being really fucking cryptic about their motivations and also issuing dire warnings.

I'm not baffled at all. People always eat up these big shows that I couldn't care less about; maybe they like the premises of them because they're so familiar. It gives them something "new" without it being too different. In general people unfortunately don't like different, they'd rather have something that's similar to something else they like than try out something new that's potentially more interesting. The more generic you go, the broader your appeal is.

This isn't to say that everyone who likes MHA only watches shounen action series; maybe some fans of it also go out and watch the sort of stuff that I enjoy, like Rakugo, Ping-Pong, etc. I do think that this may be what gives work like MHA its broad appeal though. I'm sorry if this seems dismissive. I'm just trying to rationalize why so many people like a work that I can't help but feel looks very stale.
Even in terms of shounen action series, Ushio to Tora, Kabaneri, and Sousei no Onmyouji are airing now and are more compelling than the two episodes of MHA that I've watched. And I wouldn't exactly call those three fountains of originality.

I cannot tell you how many times a year I think of watching that show and don't because I've never read anyone's impression of it.
The Hayate anime was a good comedy until Manglobe took over and ruined it.

Aki-at

Most people watching MHA really like it. I don't see much backlash against it at all really. Some people dislike it but that happens with every show.

Hey don't mind me not liking the show, just don't say the reason I don't like it is it's too awesome to handle considering I like shows like Kill la Kill and JoJo :p

-I find Deku to be a very endearing and lovable character*( I think it's this point here that makes MHA a like or hate)

His honesty, his hard work, his character, everything. I can't help but cheer him on!

I agree with you here, to me his the opposite so I don't quite have connection everyone who likes the show have. So almost all the emotional scenes just fall flat for me but I guess it's pretty satisfying for everyone else.

Crocodile

To use some more animated analogies, Batman: The Brave and the Bold and Batman: TAS were both superlative series but even while sharing a non-insignificant amount of material had completely different tones and aesthetics. CR looks more like Batman: The Brave and the Bold (actually I WISH CR looked more like that show but that's more personal preference) but the story it wants to tell is more akin to Batman: TAS. I just don't think the mismatch of aesthetics and tone works in CR's favor.

You're a comic guy iirc, right? I think you might be like MPR and myself to an extent in that CR isn't really doing anything too new with the pushback against the idealized era. It was a common complaint I saw on twitter about how it didn't really say anything new. I think where it's interesting is the Japanese perspective of it all. sonicmj1 was the one to make that point and I readily agree. It's just so interesting to me how their pop culture icons are what's used to tell this tale.

I think as Duckroll just posted, one's familiarity with general Japanese pop-culture and 60s-70s era politics probably puts a cap on how much you can get out of the series (though I don't think that seems to be an issue for some of the shows biggest fans but maybe I'm wrong?). I freely admit to not being super well-informed on that subject matter but I think a stronger/more stylistically consistent show could have made everything more appealing and repeatable to even those less well versed in the background reference material. I'm not saying the should should be less Japanese but I don't think the show is doing that great a job drawing strong emotions from me. I honestly feel most engaged the moments where the show becomes a visual spectacle.

zulux21

I think the person who said it's like loony toons was pretty on. You don't watch hayte for a engaging story or deep characters, you watch it for the gags and jokes.

heck you can also watch hayate just to see how many references you can get, it's pretty easy as they censor them all to make them obvious that they are jokes :p

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
OP is at the word limit. Going to have to reconsider some show descriptions if I need to add more to it. Probably could replace The Lost Village's one with the more accurate:
"30 idiotic people decide to start a new life in a remote and abandoned village. Watch as they probably kill each other off."

duckroll

OP is at the word limit. Going to have to reconsider some show descriptions if I need to add more to it. Probably could replace The Lost Village's one with the more accurate:
"30 idiotic people decide to start a new life in a remote and abandoned village. Watch as they probably kill each other off."

"Execution chamber!!!" She gleefully exclaimed.

Nah MHA is wholly earnest and honest in a way that other shounen action series almost never achieve. That's what makes it good. It doesn't have some vague pretense of being something greater. It knows what it is, and it embraces that to the fullest extent.

The shounen new sincerity movement starts here.

Ascheroth

That's actually pretty spot on.

Cornbread78

"30 idiotic people decide to join a twisted Okada reality show and start a new life in a remote and abandoned village. Watch as they probably kill each other off."

fixed that for you

I don't have an interest in any of those things and I like show while realizing the references are going over my head.

The show is built around a central misunderstanding caused by the fact Hayate's parents are literally the worst people in the world and have basically sold him to the mafia and run off. Hiding in a park he saves a young girl, Nagi Temezin, from two would be kidnappers, in a fit of panic about his massive debt he asks her to pretend to be his hostage. She misunderstands this as a romantic confession and hires him as a butler instead, a combat butler. In this universe Combat Butlers are superheroes capable of polishing an entire 600 room mansion while also fending off armies of ninjas before lunch.

What makes it work is the dynamic between Nagi and Hayate is the typical romantic comedy one but he is utterly oblivious to this and so is at a loss as to why she keeps getting mad. It's a tired premise in many ways but it feels fresher than it has any right to as a skeleton to hang various ridiculous plots and homages off using the excuse that Nagi has approximately infinity dollars to her name. So school trips that involve transatlantic flights (the most fan servicey episode even if the villain is a sly swipe at the audience), a yacht that is the literal Titanic, mecha at one point, it's all over the map in that Looney Tunes style.

I don't do long form reviews all too often I realise that I've provided a crap synopsis and basically repeat 'and then it made me laugh' over and over so I'd recommend diving in and giving it an episode or two.

Also it has the best 'Baka, baka, baka!' screams of Kugumiya's career which may not be a selling point here :)

To use some more animated analogies, Batman: The Brave and the Bold and Batman: TAS were both superlative series but even while sharing a non-insignificant amount of material had completely different tones and aesthetics. CR looks more like Batman: The Brave and the Bold (actually I WISH CR looked more like that show but that's more personal preference) but the story it wants to tell is more akin to Batman: TAS. I just don't think the mismatch of aesthetics and tone works in CR's favor.

I think as Duckroll just posted, one's familiarity with general Japanese pop-culture and 60s-70s era politics probably puts a cap on how much you can get out of the series (though I don't think that seems to be an issue for some of the shows biggest fans but maybe I'm wrong?). I freely admit to not being super well-informed on that subject matter but I think a stronger/more stylistically consistent show could have made everything more appealing and repeatable to even those less well versed in the background reference material. I'm not saying the should should be less Japanese but I don't think the show is doing that great a job drawing strong emotions from me. I honestly feel most engaged the moments where the show becomes a visual spectacle.

I wasn't terribly familiar with post-World War II Japanese history before watching Concrete Revolutio, but I've learned a lot about it through watching the show and doing research inspired by it. I don't think prior familiarity is necessary to appreciate the show, but an interest and willingness to learn about the topic is.

I'll agree that if Concrete Revolutio had a grittier, grayer aesthetic it would probably attract more attention. But personally I really enjoy how colorful and whimsical it looks, and I don't feel that really detracts from its storytelling in any way.

"Execution chamber!!!" She gleefully exclaimed.

That's all you need to say, really.

pbayne

I find it a bit odd that everyone is slamming MHA for being too predictable or generic(it might well be, haven't watched enough to know) but a show like Haikyuu which is one of the most universally praised shows around here despite not bringing anything particularity new to the sports genre.

And don't get me wrong I love Haikyuu, its characters are fun to follow and everything about its production is first-rate but you could almost completely predict its character types and story beats if you've seen a few shounen sports shows before. i.e Eyesheild, Kuroko etc.

So i don't think being predictable/generic is necessarily a bad thing and not every show needs to re-invent the wheel.

I find it a bit odd that everyone is slamming MHA for being too predictable or generic(it might well be, haven't watched enough to know) but a show like Haikyuu which is one of the most universally praised shows around here despite not bringing anything particularity new to the sports genre.

And don't get me wrong I love Haikyuu, its characters are fun to follow and everything about its production is first-rate but you could almost completely predict its character types and story beats if you've seen a few shounen sports shows before. i.e Eyesheild, Kuroko etc.

So i don't being predictable/generic is necessarily a bad thing and not every show needs to re-invent the wheel.
Superheroes are a lot staler than sports shounen among most viewers in the West. Many of the people watching Haikyuu in this thread haven't watched that many sports anime, yet they've certainly been exposed to a ton of superhero related media. Though originality isn't really my complaint with MHA.

duckroll

Concrete Revolutio's art design leaves much to be desired, because it is mostly a spill over from Mizushima/Aikawa's last project - Un-Go. I think most of the time the show is fairly ugly even when it is well animated and well drawn. I've come to really like Jiro's design, but I don't care for many of the other characters. But having said all that, if you hate on Earth-chan, you're playing with fire here.

phaze

II liked the first two episodes of MHA and hated the last one. So I guess I don't really have a very formed opinion yet. From everything I've seen and read of it, it's clearly not a show that will explore some uncharted terrain for battle shounen but I don't mind it If the story is interesting enough and the cast likeable, in time I'd probably get attached to the cast. I like Deku so far, he's like the less annoying version of Naruto, so far (while the other guy seems like a more obnoxious Sasuke) The thing I'm worried about is that the story will clearly chain Deku to some kind of school, probably for a long time and clad him and the rest of the cast into some ridiculous looking outfits which I'm not sure my Avengers hating ass can survive.

I hope there will be some good action in the next episode. While there were a few good short scenes, there hasn't been anything that would wow me yet. Seems like the exam is an occasion where the scrip would allow Bones to flex their muscles.

What I mean is that there is a certain type of narrative style and gravitas I associate with comics of the 60s and 70s and CR doesn't really match up with it. Just looking at characters like Earth-chan and Judas and Fuurota puts a hard cap on my ability to emphasize I feel. It's like if you took Ghost in the Shell: SAC and replaced the cast with the cast of SpongeBob and made everything neon-colored. The mismatch doesn't work for me.

I agree with this. I can't really comment on CR at length as I watched only one or two episodes, emerging completely underwhelmed but it's entire aesthetic, the colour palette as well as throwing superheros, mechas, magical girls and god knows what else into the mix was extremely off-putting to it. Especially so since it seemed (and judging from your post and rest of impressions, I wasn't mistaken.) it was taking itself pretty seriously.

Concrete Revolutio's art design leaves much to be desired, because it is mostly a spill over from Mizushima/Aikawa's last project - Un-Go. I think most of the time the show is fairly ugly even when it is well animated and well drawn. I've come to really like Jiro's design, but I don't care for many of the other characters. But having said all that, if you hate on Earth-chan, you're playing with fire here.

I don't see how Concrete Revolutio looks much like Un-Go. They don't share any art design or character design staff, and Un-Go is a pretty normal looking show apart from having unusually angular characters, very unlike Concrete Revolutio.

blurr

Sekkou Boys 8-12

This was a fun show, worth my time. I actually laughed out loud quite a bit.

Giorgio is hilarious just by appearances, that's one hell of an impression for a character in a comedy show.

I had hoped they'd address the issue of unreasonable pop star contracts in Japan in that "scandal" episode but they just played along with it, sham.

What a bitter, fictional characterisation of people's criticisms. I like that you roped TTGL into it to align the dissenters against something of actual quality without them ever bringing it up. Clever.

I can hardly call it fictional when I see it all the time.

I already posted my feeling on the My Hero Academia anime in the official thread, so I will just refer you to there to get an accurate portrait of my beliefs instead of whatever crazy fanfiction you're coming up with.

I don't know what you mean by thinking the show wanted you to laugh at Deku during those scenes. I thought the tone was perfectly clear. I really feel like this is a bit of an overreaction here.

My Hero Academia is the only show out of those that upset me so much I couldn't finish watching the first episode. Maybe it gets better, but man, that first episode made me so angry.

You really should go back and at least give it another chance. You stopped watching right before All Might shows up and every scene with him and Deku together in the subsequent episodes makes the show such an absolute joy to watch.

duckroll

I don't see how Concrete Revolutio looks much like Un-Go. They don't share any art design or character design staff, and Un-Go is a pretty normal looking show apart from having unusually angular characters, very unlike Concrete Revolutio.

Color use, obsession with contrast in almost every design or background, lots of purple, and a basic stylistic choice which makes everything feel like a motion graphic. The final point is something Star Driver also shares. How I like to see it is that shows like Star Driver, Un-Go, and Concrete Revolutio really carry the influence of digital composition into the design and style. The way things look and are colored feel a bit like the graphics of commercials put together in After Effects rather than more traditional anime designs.

Crocodile

I wasn't terribly familiar with post-World War II Japanese history before watching Concrete Revolutio, but I've learned a lot about it through watching the show and doing research inspired by it. I don't think prior familiarity is necessary to appreciate the show, but an interest and willingness to learn about the topic is.

I'll agree that if Concrete Revolutio had a grittier, grayer aesthetic it would probably attract more attention. But personally I really enjoy how colorful and whimsical it looks, and I don't feel that really detracts from its storytelling in any way.

To be clear I don't think CR needed to go all the way to a "dark & gritty reboot" style or that Mizushima needed to call up Zack Synder for some help. I do think the aesthetic mismatch is too strong though and does hamper my enjoyment of the show (and I don't think this is at all a shallow critique) and I think it has indeed hurt its appeal among many in the West (and even the East - the show doesn't seem super popular in Japan).

Superheroes are a lot staler than sports shounen among most viewers in the West. Many of the people watching Haikyuu in this thread haven't watched that many sports anime, yet they've certainly been exposed to a ton of superhero related media. Though originality isn't really my complaint with MHA.

Sports anime may not be super popular in the West but I think that's in part a function of how prolific sports movies and TV shows (and I'm not even talking about sporting events themselves) are - that niche is served here but in a different fashion. I think most of us on this side of the Pacific get a huge chunk of our sports-fiction fix through live action.

Earth-chan is the
WORST

Serious

Haven't watched Haikyuu, never will, but it's the only recent volleyball anime, which at least gives it some uniqueness (there's a couple others, but they're incredibly obscure shows from the 60s/70s). With MHA, it's not just the formula that's stale, but also the content. The characters do absolutely nothing for me either, which results in the entire show falling flat.

Generic isn't necessarily bad. I can and often do enjoy generic, but I'm just not feeling MHA.

Well I haven't seen every show on this list. Of the ones Ive seen I think MHA is worse than some and better than others. Which is fine, different opinions and all that but when I see

I get really confused. I mean I've been there - that feeling where you are 5 minutes into an episode and you are already questioning your life decisions and shit. But that's reserved for Mahouka tier anime not MHA. It seems a unusually strong reaction and thus I'm taken a back a bit.

I feel strongly about bullying and suicide on a personal level, so when I feel like something is trivializing those matters I'm going to have a strongly negative reaction.

Color use, obsession with contrast in almost every design or background, lots of purple, and a basic stylistic choice which makes everything feel like a motion graphic. The final point is something Star Driver also shares. How I like to see it is that shows like Star Driver, Un-Go, and Concrete Revolutio really carry the influence of digital composition into the design and style. The way things look and are colored feel a bit like the graphics of commercials put together in After Effects rather than more traditional anime designs.

Hmm. I haven't really seen any Star Driver, and only one episode of Un-Go (barring screenshots and sakuga gifs), so I'm not the most qualified to discuss their aesthetic similarities. But nothing I've seen from Star Driver or Un-Go is as brightly colorful or strikingly unique as Concrete Revolutio is. I understand why people would dislike Concrete Revolutio's visual design - it's quite unusual - but it really works for me. I'll agree that it's really based in what digital composition makes possible, but I really appreciate anime that takes advantage of that in striking ways - Mononoke comes to mind here. It doesn't have a lot of the post-processing garbage that turns me off to things like GoHands productions or Asterisk War either.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
I don't know, the execution leave something to be desired though. I don't really like how they presented the timeline, jumping from past to present. Maybe i'll give this show another chance

Russ T

Banned
I feel strongly about bullying and suicide on a personal level, so when I feel like something is trivializing those matters I'm going to have a strongly negative reaction.

I mean that's fair and that's my biggest complaint with the show, is the trivialization. Of course that trivialization doesn't really happen until later...

However your post talks about the show wanting you to laugh at Deku which is just the complete opposite of what's happening. There's nothing funny about it. It's brutal and savage and unpleasant.

I mean, hell, the whole beginning of the series is about Deku finally finding someone who believes in him. Someone who isn't just going to shit on him constantly.

Serious

I don't remember half the character names from Mayoiga.

Hmm, I have few issues with them besides maybe the Yuunas.

Hai-Furi though, I maybe know the bridge crew and a couple others, and that's about it. Then again, it's focused almost entirely on the bridge crew so far anyway, so there hasn't been much need to distinguish them beyond their job quite yet.

Sailor Moon Crystal 3

Best episode so far, toned down the old anime character tropes and just focused on telling the story which is getting interesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom