• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2016 |OT| Get a Season So Complicated

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Never watched either of those shows but being too awesome is why people don't like MHA? If it was awesome I would love the show but three episodes and only one minor villain fight, awesome it is not.

I warned that this would happen in one of my reviews, that hype backlash was going to come in hard and fast. FUNimation literally called this The Next Big Thing in anime so expectations have been through the roof. The ugly truth is that in the here and no MHA has been exposed as just another shonen series executing the typical shonen tropes. Usually it takes shonen series some time to find the proper voice and footing but the crushing hype has left little room for patience.

Russ T

Banned
Nah MHA is wholly earnest and honest in a way that other shounen action series almost never achieve. That's what makes it good. It doesn't have some vague pretense of being something greater. It knows what it is, and it embraces that to the fullest extent.

I warned that this would happen in one of my reviews, that hype backlash was going to come in hard and fast. FUNimation literally called this The Next Big Thing in anime so expectations have been through the roof. The ugly truth is that in the here and no MHA has been exposed as just another shonen series executing the typical shonen tropes. Usually it takes shonen series some time to find the proper voice and footing but the crushing hype has left little room for patience.

I think its fans hyping it up and I also still cant figure out where fans are getting that it is, in just three episodes, the best boys action series ever...Its just too early to say that, when, again there has been no time there isnt even any conflict or antagonist presented even.

duckroll

Man, if these are the best defenses people can come up with for the show, it just shows the audience quality is proportional to the show. Lolz.

Puruzi

Banned
Most people watching MHA really like it. I don't see much backlash against it at all really. Some people dislike it but that happens with every show.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Nah MHA is wholly earnest and honest in a way that other shounen action series almost never achieve. That's what makes it good. It doesn't have some vague pretense of being something greater. It knows what it is, and it embraces that to the fullest extent.

That really isn't elevating it beyond say Ushio and Tora though, the production values sure, but Deku reminds me of a less interesting Ushio with no Tora to bounce off of.

Russ T

Banned
I think it's sad that people need to have a BIG BAD VILLAIN right away in order to like something. Damn millenials!

That really isn't elevating it beyond say Ushio and Tora though, the production values sure, but Deku reminds me of a less interesting Ushio with no Tora to bounce off of.

I didn't say it elevated it beyond anything!

Deku and Ushio are basically nothing alike, though, so that's an odd comparison. Very odd.

I think it's sad that people need to have a BIG BAD VILLAIN right away in order to like something. Damn millenials!

Who is even saying that? I haven't participated in the MHA discussion at all but I'm also pretty certain that hardly anyone, if any at all, stated this as an issue.

edit: Oh well, if DTL said so it's no surprise I missed it, but his opinion usually isn't to be taken seriously in these discussions.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Deku and Ushio are basically nothing alike, though, so that's an odd comparison. Very odd.

Gonna stop you right there as Deku is prone to crying at the drop of the hat like Ushio is. Christ almighty have I lost track of the waterworks.

duckroll

Two people in the past fifteen posts have literally stated that as a reason MHA is worse than other shounen action series.

I dunno, one of them was complaining about the lack of good fights, which is a fair metric for a shounen series about wanting to be an awesome superhero! The other complaint is from DTL so.... :p

Cheers Ascheroth, DTL, Principate and MikeHattsu for the nods to self contained mecha series and cheers Basileus777 for clearing up my misconception of Delta.

That MAL 'harem' list
Uh no. Familiar of Zero is way too high on the list for a show with one good season and 3 seasons of the worst harem tropes around, the amount of times the central pairing declare undying love only to be reset within the next 3 scenes is ridiculous. The writing was baaaaaddddd, with the MC suddenly going from a guy unsure of who he loves to a guy who has made his choice but is playing the rejected love character for cheap thrills (the sailor outfit bs). I only stuck the second season because I was intrigued by whether they would actually try and make the dude who roasted a village alive a tragic hero because he kind of felt bad after living the rest of his life having faced no consequences whatsoever (oh and his actions were also lazily justified at the last moment to boot).

Rosario To Vampire is just straight up bad, I liked the concept enough to stick with it until the start of season 2 but it's just not that interesting.

Overall though it's just a bad choice for a list I mean I liked Strike The Blood but what does it share in common with The World God Only Knows which was also good (excepting the Goddess season)? I watched 2-3 episodes of High School DxD and it seemed so-so but certainly not as fun as Demon King Daimo was. Very odd list indeed.

Also Kiss x Sis? Ewww.

Still at least I've had the fact that I need to watch Ouran High School Host Club reaffirmed

Clov

MHA just strikes me as boring. I look at it and think "what about this is actually interesting"? I can't come up with anything.

Russ T

Banned
Gonna stop you right there as Deku is prone to crying at the drop of the hat like Ushio is. Christ almighty have I lost track of the waterworks.

...So because they both cry they're the same character?

Their personalities are so wildly different. I don't think this is going to go anywhere so I guess we should just agree to disagree!

Who is even saying that? I haven't participated in the MHA discussion at all but I'm also pretty certain that hardly any, if any at all, stated this as an issue.

edit: Oh well, if DTL said so it's no surprise I missed it, but his opinion usually isn't to be taken seriously in these discussions.

I dunno, one of them was complaining about the lack of good fights, which is a fair metric for a shounen series about wanting to be an awesome superhero! The other complaint is from DTL so.... :p

Yeah the DTL thing is a fair point. U: U:

However, I fundamentally disagree that the number of "good fights" is a fair metric for a shounen series. That's like number 29 on the list of reasons I read One Piece or MHA, or even the original Dragon Ball.

DBZ and DBS, though, sure, good fights are everything.

Ascheroth

Cheers Ascheroth, DTL, Principate and MikeHattsu for the nods to self contained mecha series and cheers Basileus777 for clearing up my misconception of Delta.

Majin Bone and Garo aren't Mecha series to be fair, but they're good either way!

And if you liked the concept of Rosario and Vampire, give the manga a try if you want. (The anime and manga vastly diverge in tone and also artstyle at one point. The manga is also completed.)

I just want there to be some sort of conflict, it doesnt have to be a person, for example, what if Midoriya had to go on through the same story but continued to have no power, being a quirkless hero in a world of quirks sounds like a very compelling story.

I just think the heroaca writer has problems here that werent present in his previous manga, that at least had a similar situation, lead boy character from humble beginnings given something of prestige. At least in that situation he was driven by protecting his family, here, it isnt really clear beyond the tired and true i want to be a hero. Hes already given all mights power, so what is there to even try to stop him? I would have liked Midoriya to have a better, stronger, and more emotional backstory.

Majin Bone and Garo aren't Mecha series to be fair, but they're good either way!

And if you liked the concept of Rosario and Vampire, give the manga a try if you want. (The anime and manga vastly diverge in tone and also artstyle at one point. The manga is also completed.)
More good anime is always welcome, I need to wash some Mirai Nikki out of my mind!

I might check out the Rosario manga as that comparison screenshot features a 100% more interesting protagonist and it's just a single panel.

Narag

Most people watching MHA really like it. I don't see much backlash against it at all really. Some people dislike it but that happens with every show.
I'd wager the majority that like it already liked it way before and appreciate the adaptation being so close.to the source material. Nothing wrong with that sort of thing as it's the ultimate form of fan service but it's comes at the cost of the new viewer.

Crocodile

*Continues watching Concrete Revolutio*

*Continues generally enjoying it*

*Continues to not think its God's gift to anime and the writing or characters don't strike me as something worth lavish praise*

*Increasingly thinks the aesthetics, character designs, etc. are a strong mismatch for what the show is trying to do. I may have my comic eras wrong but it seems like the show is combining a 60's-70's comic aesthetic with a 80's-90's narrative. I don't think it works*

My Hero Academia is the worst show I've watched this season (year?).

Unless you've watched like all of two/three anime this year this has to be a troll post.

Aki-at

"Awesome" is measured by villain fights? Interesting.

I never said that though.

But it's the only thing of note that so far has been a pretty boring show. Which is a shame since I actually do love the superhero genre.

EDIT: Also I never stated it was because it didn't have a big bad either.

I didn't really have any hype for the show though, I thought it would have some great animation (which I can't fault on at all) but nothing has gripped me so far. Then again the only show shonen show I'm into at the moment is Assassination Classroom.

Ascheroth

More good anime is always welcome, I need to wash some Mirai Nikki out of my mind!

I might check out the Rosario manga as that comparison screenshot features a 100% more interesting protagonist and it's just a single panel.

Tsukune goes through some major growth in the manga.

*Increasingly thinks the aesthetics, character designs, etc. are a strong mismatch for what the show is trying to do. I may have my comic eras wrong but it seems like the show is combining a 60's-70's comic aesthetic with a 80's-90's narrative. I don't think it works*

ConRevo takes place in the 60's-70's though.

*Continues watching Concrete Revolutio*

*Continues generally enjoying it*

*Continues to not think its God's gift to anime and the writing or characters don't strike me as something worth lavish praise*

*Increasingly thinks the aesthetics, character designs, etc. are a strong mismatch for what the show is trying to do. I may have my comic eras wrong but it seems like the show is combining a 60's-70's comic aesthetic with a 80's-90's narrative. I don't think it works.

Concrete Revolutio is literally set in the 60s/70s.

Unless you've watched like all of two/three anime this year this has to be a troll post.

It's not a troll. I don't watch shit like Hundred that you can tell is worthless trash from a mile away, so I'm not saying it's the worst anime ever or anything silly like that, but it is certainly worse than:

Bungo Stray Dogs
Concrete Revolutio
Diamond is Unbreakable
Haikyuu S2
Joker Game
Kabaneri
Kagewani S2
Mayoiga
Prince of Stride Alternative
Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu
Tanaka-kun
Tonkatsu DJ Agetarou
etc...

pbayne

Im surprised at all the shade being thrown at MHA. Only watched one episode and i thought it looked fine. Did episode 2 shit the bed or something?

- Ouran High School Host Club:
I've heard really good things about this one, but the whole reverse harem thing; I'm not too sure...

Definitely give it a watch. Its barely a harem, more a love triangle with a few other guys just hanging around. The anime is comedy first before anything else.

So people want reason why MHA is good? ok well i'll give my reason as to why I like it

-I find Deku to be a very endearing and lovable character*( I think it's this point here that makes MHA a like or hate)

His honesty, his hard work, his character, everything. I can't help but cheer him on!

-I like how the emotions is shown in both the manga and the anime. We can feel the pain or the joy character have.

-I'm a big fan of the way the story is told. We follow Deku as he rise to be a hero.(i can't really tell more without spoiling)

-The characters design is awesome.

-I also enjoy the supporting cast.

Do note that I only red the 3 manga released in NA

I suppose I could try harder on having deeper points but English isn't my main language so I'm having a hard time. I promised I really tried.

Cornbread78

MHA is easily better than half of those, though!

Yeah, I'll agree whole-heartedly with this and I have no real vested interest in MHA and I'm only watching it because of the God-tier hype it drew from so many here... It's nothing revolutionary and amazing, but it's also not that bad at all. I've been enjoying it for what it is...

Definitely give it a watch. Its barely a harem, more a love triangle with a few other guys just hanging around. The anime is comedy first before anything else.

I can get on board with that. It's been on my list forever now...

Russ T

Banned
I don't hate MHA. I just find it absolutely boring, and the buzz baffles me.

I think it just takes a while to kick off which for people accustomed to shounen action series is unfamiliar territory.

I'm still surprised it's even getting an anime considering it's such a short run (the anime, that is), and it'll only barely get to the Meat by the end. Unless they accelerate fast.

Narag

I think it just takes a while to kick off which for people accustomed to shounen action series is unfamiliar territory.

I'm still surprised it's even getting an anime considering it's such a short run (the anime, that is), and it'll only barely get to the Meat by the end. Unless they accelerate fast.

I'm not, it's a commercial for the manga.

duckroll

Well, after watching the first episode, I went to read a bit of the manga. I read like 12 chapters or something which is how much I expect the anime to cover, and I wasn't impressed at all. Just don't see the hype I guess.

That MAL 'harem' list
Uh no. Familiar of Zero is way too high on the list for a show with one good season and 3 seasons of the worst harem tropes around, the amount of times the central pairing declare undying love only to be reset within the next 3 scenes is ridiculous. The writing was baaaaaddddd, with the MC suddenly going from a guy unsure of who he loves to a guy who has made his choice but is playing the rejected love character for cheap thrills (the sailor outfit bs). I only stuck the second season because I was intrigued by whether they would actually try and make the dude who roasted a village alive a tragic hero because he kind of felt bad after living the rest of his life having faced no consequences whatsoever (oh and his actions were also lazily justified at the last moment to boot).
Any show with a tsundere Kugimiyaloli as a lead is an automatically bad show to me and has to be pretty good for me to like it.

Crocodile

ConRevo takes place in the 60's-70's though.

Concrete Revolutio is literally set in the 60s/70s.

What I mean is that there is a certain type of narrative style and gravitas I associate with comics of the 60s and 70s and CR doesn't really match up with it. Just looking at characters like Earth-chan and Judas and Fuurota puts a hard cap on my ability to emphasize I feel. It's like if you took Ghost in the Shell: SAC and replaced the cast with the cast of SpongeBob and made everything neon-colored. The mismatch doesn't work for me.

It's not a troll. I don't watch shit like Hundred that you can tell is worthless trash from a mile away, so I'm not saying it's the worst anime ever or anything silly like that, but it is certainly worse than:

Bungo Stray Dogs
Concrete Revolutio
Diamond is Unbreakable
Haikyuu S2
Joker Game
Kabaneri
Kagewani S2
Mayoiga
Prince of Stride Alternative
Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu
Tanaka-kun
Tonkatsu DJ Agetarou
etc...

Well I haven't seen every show on this list. Of the ones Ive seen I think MHA is worse than some and better than others. Which is fine, different opinions and all that but when I see

My Hero Academia is the only show out of those that upset me so much I couldn't finish watching the first episode. Maybe it gets better, but man, that first episode made me so angry.

I get really confused. I mean I've been there - that feeling where you are 5 minutes into an episode and you are already questioning your life decisions and shit. But that's reserved for Mahouka tier anime not MHA. It seems a unusually strong reaction and thus I'm taken a back a bit.

zulux21

You should catch up. There are some really good and non-trashy ones out there like:

4: I Don't Have Many Friends
3: The Hentai Prince and the Stony Cat.
2: Is This a Zombie?
1: The World God Only Knows

- Ouran High School Host Club:
I've heard really good things about this one, but the whole reverse harem thing; I'm not too sure...

Well, yeah. Its a reskinning just like our yearly Madden and CoD, but entertaining, lol.
corn, I believe you and I get along somewhat in anime tastes... and thus I say.. You should kiss kiss fall in love with Ouran High School Host Club (you will get my phrasing if you watch the opening to Ouran :p)

it's a solid comedy with great characters. It is well voiced in both japanese and english, though the english version really screwed up the opening song (I want to believe what happened is the back up singing just some how got to main singing level and the main singer got to back up level, either way portions of it sound good but a lot of it sounds really off)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom