• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2016 |OT| Get a Season So Complicated

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cornbread78

Strike the Blood ep.1-3
KUsPKCn.gif

Well, this is something interesting. I mean, it’s more shounen than anything, but the action sequences are pretty good and the MC not that bad overall so far. That ending sequence to episode 3 though; WOW, I was not expecting something so gruesome….

Exalted

Strike the Blood ep.1-3
KUsPKCn.gif

Well, this is something interesting. I mean, it’s more shounen than anything, but the action sequences are pretty good and the MC not that bad overall so far. That ending sequence to episode 3 though; WOW, I was not expecting something so gruesome….
I see you alredy started watching shows from that top harem list. Yeah Strike the Blood is quite action heavy show, which i liked, but It does get more haremy later on. The stronger the MC gets the higher his harem level becomes :p

Lautaro

Macross Delta 3

Ok, the song-dogfight scene saved this episode for me, I really liked it. I guess this show could be good if its focus are the song/battle montages instead of the annoying characters.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
I have now realized the depths of the Kanji and Name system. I don't even understand how someone could come up with something like this. This is just really dumb.

Cornbread78

I see you alredy started watching shows from that top harem list. Yeah Strike the Blood is quite action heavy show, which i liked, but It does get more haremy later on. The stronger the MC gets the higher his harem level becomes :p

I remember looking it up awhile ago, but passed because of the strong shounen nature, but I've warmed up to more action based stuff, so screw it, I'll give it a shot, especially when it was said earlier there is actually a conclusion to the harem...

Wagamama High Spec ep.2
well, at least they kept their cloths on this episode, but we saw two food plates and peace out....

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Strike the Blood is the opposite. The greater the harem, the stronger he gets.

Also Yukina, Asagi, and white haired princess are best girls.

SalvaPot

I feel strongly about bullying and suicide on a personal level, so when I feel like something is trivializing those matters I'm going to have a strongly negative reaction.

I am pretty sure that scene was not played for laughs, it was setting Bakugou as an inconsiderate asshole, Midoriya even says what amounts to "you shouldn't joke about that".

The very first chapter is about how the world is heavily against Midoriya's dream and how he still earnestly wants to follow said dream.

But I do understand why the scene is off-putting, I also passed through a similar experience in my middle school years and it was harsh, but that is a discussion for another time, I guess.

Moaradin

OPM is a lot better then MHA, both in webcomic, manga and anime form.

Interested to see how Mob Psycho 100 does in the West. Going to assume not as good as those two.

You can't possibly be expected to.

I love OPM but I've been kinda enjoying MHA a bit more lately. OPM in the manga has kinda been stalling for a while now, while MHA has been hitting it out of the park lately.

Cornbread78

So, on to a more important question. I've heard both are really good, but which is a more engaging and possibly a emotional anime to watch?

Book of Friends:

(GAF neko)

or

Mushishi:

I know both are pretty long, but they have been on my "Must Watch" list forever and I need to watch them separately to off-set the garbage anime's I've been watching.

Quasar

I remember looking it up awhile ago, but passed because of the strong shounen nature, but I've warmed up to more action based stuff, so screw it, I'll give it a shot, especially when it was said earlier there is actually a conclusion to the harem...

Well the books are still coming out, but the show does give you something.

Quasar

So, on to a more important question. I've heard both are really good, but which is a more engaging and possibly emotional anime to watch?

Book of Friends:
opPPJCv.gif

(GAF neko)

or

Mushishi:
8qpuS5o.gif

I know both are pretty long, but they have been on my "Must Watch" list forever and I need to watch them separately to off-set the garbage anime's I've been watching.

Well I found Book of Friends way more engaging and emotional.

Crocodile

I feel strongly about bullying and suicide on a personal level, so when I feel like something is trivializing those matters I'm going to have a strongly negative reaction.

Well I don't think it was something slammed down upon as hard as it could have been and perhaps should have been given that it was a rather repulsive statement on the part of a character even if its clear we are supposed to dislike/hate them. However, I don't think the show was trivializing it either. This sounds like a deeply personal issue so I won't pry further out of respect and you are entitled to feel that way but I don't think that's necessarily a failing of the show either.

Is that the actual speed of the scene or is the gif sped up? My eyes can't follow what's even happening. Just looks like their flailing their limbs at random and sparks happen at points.

It's not the speed so much as just weak/bad choreography. They look like they are flailing around because they are flailing around.

Fight me.

Accept the truth into your life and it will set you free.

phaze

So, on to a more important question. I've heard both are really good, but which is a more engaging and possibly a emotional anime to watch?

Book of Friends:
(GAF neko)

or

Mushishi:

Can't comment on the first one but Mushishi is pretty emotional yeah. Though I'm not quite sure it's the kind of"emotional" you're looking for. It's very mono no aware and frequently, pretty depressing.

sonicmj1

Book of Friends:
opPPJCv.gif

(GAF neko)

or

Mushishi:
8qpuS5o.gif

Mushishi is amazing (the first season in particular), but it's not a great anime to marathon while killing time.

pbayne

It's not the speed so much as just weak/bad choreography. They look like they are flailing around because they are flailing around.

Yep that's probably it, thought it was just the gif throwing me off. As soon as i saw it my mind went straight to Fate UBW. I hate fight scenes like that they feel so weightless and sterile. No emotion, choreography or story-telling behind them.

Cornbread78

Can't comment on the first one but Mushishi is pretty emotional yeah. Though I'm not quite sure it's the kind of"emotional" you're looking for. It's very mono no aware and frequently, pretty depressing.

Mushishi is amazing (the first season in particular), but it's not a great anime to marathon while killing time.

I plan to watch in small doses like I am Kimikiss, and Nagi no Asukara, so hopefully, that format works well...

Book of Friends bored me so I eventually stopped watching more than halfway through the first season. Afterwards I was afraid I might not like Mushishi that much since I've seen Book of Friends described as 'poor man's Mushishi' or s.th. along the lines.

Well, turned out that Mushishi was damn great and that I could find a love for episodic series' after all. To me the above description for Book of Friends ended up being rather apt actually. Mushishi simply does this episodic Yokai/Ghost-Thingies/Mushi storytelling better.

Cornbread78

Book of Friends bored me so I eventually stopped watching more than halfway through the first season. Afterwards I was afraid I might not like Mushishi that much since I've seen Book of Friends described as 'poor man's Mushishi' or s.th. along the lines.

Well, turned out that Mushishi was damn great and that I could find a love for episodic series' after all. To me the above description for Book of Friends ended up being rather apt actually. Mushishi simply does this episodic Yokai/Ghost-Thingies/Mushi storytelling better.

Oh, so it's not a consistent story, but rather completely episodic?

phaze

Mushishi is very episodic yes. Each outing is basically a Mushi of the Week episode, with the main character Ginko, the white haired guy from your gif, trying to solve some issues that stem from the involvement of the titular Mushi.There are a few recurring characters (2 ?) but they don't play any major role and there is never any kind of overarching narrative.

Wanderer5

Hundred 3

Shocking, Emile was a girl this whole time! The last scene with the President was stupid even for this stupid show, haha wow ,how does than even happen.

Well least they didn't drag the she actually a girl! plot point lol. I only saw the first episode, but that already got ridiculous.

Well not completely episodic. The shows constantly follow the main characters and an overarching story is there as well, in Book of Friends more so than in Mushishi. Both shows mostly deal with a certain spirits shenanigans per episode or two.

edit:
Well, depends on your definition I guess looking at Phaze's post. Overarching story isn't quite right...there's overarching elements, let's put it like that.

Kotetsushin Jeeg - 4

Man, I'd have liked to watch the old Jeeg show from the 70s just to get all the little details they're showing me.

There's a moment in this episode where one character as an old man is briefly seen a lot younger, and it leads me to believe that he was a character from the original series, which this show takes place after.

I mean, the show's still easy to follow, don't get me wrong. But I can just imagine the glee that the people who grew up with the original Jeeg must have felt watching this and seeing all these references.

Cornbread78

Kimikiss Pure Rouge ep. 18-19
Well, I was right, $hit got real these episodes with a teary confession from the childhood friend that already has a GF to the fall out after-words. Actually, some pretty emotional scenes in there, but they really need to get rid of Kei-kin and let the drama play out between childhood friends. This love tri-angle thing isn't preferred, but it is compelling in this case. How will Sanada take care of business? This show is pretty good..

Well not completely episodic. The shows constantly follow the main characters and an overarching story is there as well, in Book of Friends more so than in Mushishi. Both shows mostly deal with a certain spirits shenanigans per episode or two.

edit:
Well, depends on your definition I guess looking at Phaze's post. Overarching story isn't quite right...there's overarching elements, let's put it like that.

Mushishi is very episodic yes. Each outing is basically a Mushi of the Week episode, with the main character Ginko, the white haired guy from your gif, trying to solve some issues that stem from the involvement of the titular Mushi.There are a few recurring characters (2 ?) but they don't play any major role and there is never any kind of overarching narrative.

OH. Not what I expected from either of them. I was thinking it was one continuous story-line, but I guess I was completely wrong....

Book of Friends:

(GAF neko)

or

Mushishi:

Mushishi, by a landslide.

Aki-at

Kumamiko - 3

The first half was sweet and cute with some enjoyable animation thrown in but the second half really felt out of place. I was fine with Episode 1's raunchy humour but this didn't add anything other than extremely uncomfortable viewing, those sort of situations just aren't funny.

Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood - 1

The pace seemed to be all over the place but I guess this was meant to be a sort of recap "Here are all the characters you love and remembered!" for anyone who watched the original series. First time watching the series so I'm excited to see how it'll turn out after being a fan of the original series, be interesting what my nephew thinks of the show too.

Also can't unsee Korosensei in my head everytime Hughes talks offscreen now.

Qurupeke

Mawaru Penguindrum 4-7

Alright, I think this has hit its stride for me, as it's really enjoyable now. Even the opening or the "Rock and Roll Night" song have grown on and I like them a lot more now. Episode 5 was the best so far, and it left quite the impact. The whole truck chase scene, along with the flashback, were excellent and the episode made it apparent that the danger is still there. Moreover, Ringo has really grown on me with her antics and her "rivalry" with Yuri,
at least when she doesn't murder people or apparently tries to get pregnant by force.... The disturbing cliffhangers are really the worst thing on this show. I'm certain they don't serve in anything but the shock factor.
These episodes have mostly focused on Shouma, and I honestly prefer him over Kanba, who seems to have his own agenda about a lot of things. The Ringo-sensei ending isn't happening anyway, so at least I hope she'll end up with Shouma.

Squishy3

Is your internet speed too slow? Was sure AMZN uses that to determine to show it in HD or not. It does go up to HD 1080p.
It's just that sometimes the "automatically detect your connection to determine what quality video you get" can take insanely long times for whatever reason.

I remember like 3 or 4 years ago if I watched Netflix on my computer (which is wired via ethernet) that it'd take 5-20 minutes to decide if my connection was good enough to watch in HD or not, while it would be in HD from the beginning if I watched it via an app on a game console. I'm always for the option of letting people pick what quality they can watch stuff in because the algorithm that determines that stuff can take awhile sometimes.

phaze

Mawaru Penguindrum 4-6

Alright, I think this has hit its stride for me, as it's really enjoyable now.

Your addition to the list of people with bad taste has been suspended.

----
I dunno the cliffhangers never bothered me. I'm sure they would a bit had I not been marathoning but as it was nah, they served their purpose which was getting me excited for the next episode.

TUSR

Banned
something about Fly Witch irks me,

it tries to be a relaxing show, but they're not succeeding

they just layer on the music whenever they get the chance to give a pseudo relaxing atmosphere when its really not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom