• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2016 |OT| Get a Season So Complicated

Status
Not open for further replies.

Qurupeke

Your addition to the list of people with bad taste has been suspended.

----
I dunno the cliffhangers never bothered me. I'm sure they would a bit had I not been marathoning but as it was nah, they served their purpose which was getting me excited for the next episode.
I don't know, I could do without them. I'd like to say that I'm getting used on them, but then I see what Project M stands for, right at the end of the episode, after some rather cute moments...

Uh-oh...

Your addition to the list of people with bad taste has been suspended.

----
I dunno the cliffhangers never bothered me. I'm sure they would a bit had I not been marathoning but as it was nah, they served their purpose which was getting me excited for the next episode.

Yeh I wasn't too bothered by them either. Am not even sure why that is but I can't recall the details of them right now anyways.

zulux21

Kumamiko - 3

The first half was sweet and cute with some enjoyable animation thrown in but the second half really felt out of place. I was fine with Episode 1's raunchy humour but this didn't add anything other than extremely uncomfortable viewing, those sort of situations just aren't funny.

Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood - 1

The pace seemed to be all over the place but I guess this was meant to be a sort of recap "Here are all the characters you love and remembered!" for anyone who watched the original series. First time watching the series so I'm excited to see how it'll turn out after being a fan of the original series, be interesting what my nephew thinks of the show too.

Also can't unsee Korosensei in my head everytime Hughes talks offscreen now.
for brotherhood the pacing is going to be all over the place for the first 10 episodes, it basically makes it required to watch the first 25 episodes of the original series as they clearly assume you watched the original.

either way though, enjoy the ride, it's a fun one if you enjoyed the original.

Sölf

Kiznaiver 02
I really like this show so far and I also pretty mich like all of the characters, especially after this episode. I am interested to see where this is going in the future.

Haifuri 01-02
Well, we watched that yesterday. I didn't expect this direction at all. Shit went much more dark and serious than I though. xD
Now we only need some real naval battles and we have our Girls and Schlachtschiff.

pbayne

Aria the Animation End

My. My. My.
Its weird that the three final episodes all felt like legit season finales. 11 being a personal highlight and just a great episode that sums up the series for me. A show can easily transition from cool and relaxing one moment to warm and and fuzzy the next. And a very sweet theme of enjoying all the little moments in life and to live fully in the present. There's a subtle passage of time throughout the show and i really look forward to see how that progresses in the other series.

I enjoyed the added focus on the characters towards the end of the series and it was great to see the parallels between Alicia' time and Akari's. And i think the one aspect of the show that really resonated with me was how natural yet well crafted the shows world building is. Its almost at a subliminal level that you just naturally absorb all the information of a really stunning setting.

Even if i was to nitpick id struggle to fault in the show. I think firehawk pointed out that there are a few episodes (4 & 12) that are a bit out of place in that they delve way more into the sci-fi/mysticism element of the show so they feel a bit odd content wise but i even really enjoyed those episodes(it was great to see characters predecessors in 12 especially.)

So yeah can't wait to dive into the other series.

Holy hell Funimation is garbage. I can barely get through a single show with out audio hitches or just flat out complete stream collapse with digital smearing and looping audio. I can stream from CR, NEtflix and bloody YouTube all day long but Funi seems to be running their farm on two old netbooks and a damn 56k modem.

Better yet a significant number of the shows in my damn queue link to the wrong show page when I click them, it's ridiculous I have to search each time to get the right show to play. The resume list in the phone app doesn't follow my language setting so I have to start the stream and then select the same episode from the list to make it reload the same poxy episode but with the correct audio this time.

You're lucky Bamboo Blade is this good Funi

Oh no. lol I'm against that, it's too creepy as it is. Sensei is fine with the actress.

Aye. Due to the 'at least' it could be interpreted as though you meant that. Phrasing!

---

4 Episods into Ojamajo Doremi and it's quite good. Great OP and ED, too. Seems like the perfect show for parents and children to enjoy together.

Cerberus Episode 3
CgWinjxWEAAzyvp.jpg
CgWgWI1WIAAO_8U.jpg

This anime is everything I need even the kids making fun and teasing Hiiro. Hiiro first friend, Hiiro's first crush, all these things for Hiiro are nice considering his upbringing. He's also so silly. Really great episode.

Aki-at

for brotherhood the pacing is going to be all over the place for the first 10 episodes, it basically makes it required to watch the first 25 episodes of the original series as they clearly assume you watched the original.

either way though, enjoy the ride, it's a fun one if you enjoyed the original.

Ah that's nice to know, I had assumed I'd have to slog through some old material again but I'm happy with putting up with 10 badly paced episodes since I loved the oriignal so much.

Actually looking forward to seeing more Greed in particular but now I can't even remember why I liked him so much.

Ah that's nice to know, I had assumed I'd have to slog through some old material again but I'm happy with putting up with 10 badly paced episodes since I loved the oriignal so much.

Actually looking forward to seeing more Greed in particular but now I can't even remember why I liked him so much.

If we're talking about pacing, the first act of Brotherhood (covering the same manga material the 2003 anime covered) is very fast and perfunctory, while the last act is very slow and dragged out. Really left me with sour feelings towards the show as a whole. But there's Olivier Armstrong in the middle, so it's not a total wash.

The people who think MHA is bad are probably the same people who think TTGL or G Gundam is bad for their crimes of being too awesome and fantastical with hot-blooded characters and a fist-pumping OST and a general theme of telling you that you can be awesome too (moreso in TTGL's case than G Gundam's).

Because as we all know, that always means they have bad writing somehow.

TTGL is my favorite anime of all time.

Though I don't think MHA is bad, just average.

Sterok

Sailor Moon Crystal S3 3

Usagi is acting a lot sharper than she normally is regarding Uranus and Neptune's identities. It is really time for those two to actually do something though. Chibi-Usa gets properly introduced to her girlfriend. Hotaru sure is a broken one. Daddy doesn't seem to care much. Well well, Rei and Makoto actually do something for once. Or at least try. They still get their asses kicked, because only Moon is allowed to get any big victories. And their goes the best of the original Witches 5. Dirty Uranus, cheating on your girlfriend. And not even while pretending to be a guy, where she might have had some sort of excuse.

"Awesome" is measured by villain fights? Interesting.

For a shounen fighting series, it's definitely pretty important even if some series can get by on just world building an other aspects. I don't believe MHA is one of those series. I made a post a while back about variety and escalation being pretty important for the genre, and while MHA has that to an extent, it doesn't utilize it much in battle outside of one early battle that I found impressive.

So yeah, I'd call that a knock against it when it can't survive on its characters and can barely survive on its setting.

Squishy3

If we're talking about pacing, the first act of Brotherhood (covering the same manga material the 2003 anime covered) is very fast and perfunctory, while the last act is very slow and dragged out. Really left me with sour feelings towards the show as a whole. But there's Olivier Armstrong in the middle, so it's not a total wash.
They nail all the big moments, at least. Everytime Roy fights someone... so good

If only Toei cared.

Cornbread78

Strike the Blood ep.4-5
Immortal vampires are cool indeed. Lots of bloody messes in this show, but it's pretty entertaining even without the harem hijinks kicking in yet.

For a shounen fighting series, it's definitely pretty important even if some series can get by on just world building an other aspects. I don't believe MHA is one of those series. I made a post a while back about variety and escalation being pretty important for the genre, and while MHA has that to an extent, it doesn't utilize it much in battle outside of one early battle that I found impressive.

So yeah, I'd call that a knock against it when it can't survive on its characters and can barely survive on its setting.

Wait your saying MHA can't survive on it's characters?? It would not be this popular and still going if this was the case.

Sterok

Maho Girls Precure 11

So Deputy Headmistress is here to smooth out Riko's transition. Nice to have someone take care of that officially for once. And they get one of those awesome Crystal Balls too. Grandma smoothed out the Magic School thing well. Clever lady. I like the school uniform. Riko is terrible at this whole keep your magic secret thing. And Natsuki either has terrible or supreme luck. Since nothing was settled with her yet, I imagine she'll be a reoccurring issue. Mirai has some nice friends. I'm not annoyed by Mofurun since he(?) is still less than 2 weeks old and doesn't have any experience in this secret stuff, especially after being in public in the Magic World. New transformation is decent. And wow at their new powers. Object creation is always a killer. Hammer time from Miracle. New attack seems kind of meh-oh they're electrocuting it with giant Linkle Sticks. Still eh-wow it's being thrown far-did they just activate a volcano? The attacks here are making Honey's look lame in comparison, and she was hitting enemies from space. Haa is older again. They grow up so fast. Soon she's going to be too big to hide.

Watching Sailor Moon and Precure back to back really emphasizes how much better Precure is. Better fights, characters who are both interesting and actually do something, villains that aren't a waste, and surprisingly non-glacial pacing (though this will probably change in a couple episodes). The magical girl genre has come a long way since back then.

Cornbread78

Demon King Daimo is pretty good, the characters get more growth in this fan service vehicle than they do in most shows I've watched and the comedy made me laugh more than groan.

Heaven's Lost Property is a good comedy.

Yes and yes. The only real reason to watch harem anime is for the mindless fun of it all. The only one that I've watched that takes itself way to seriously was Shuffle! and I really disliked that one because everyone was miserable about their situations the whole time....

JulianImp

Flying Witch #1
It's trying to be comfy, but Non Non Biyori it ain't. It might be because high-schoolers don't make for as many heartwarming situations as little girls, or maybe because it constantly plays on the witch girl doing things that are completely normal to her but weird as hell for everybody else. That mandragora (mandrake?) gag wasn't even funny, and that the episode end on a pretty sour note for me.

It was okay, but nothing made me "aww" at all, and that left only a couple bad gags and people with dim irises because "WTF did she just fly".

オオオオオオオオオオオオオオオオオ was the closest I got to chuckling at a joke, and only because it reminded me of JoJo

Could be popular just cause its the only super hero manga in jump and it came at just the right time in this resurgence of the super hero thing.

I think that at this point it's more then just that kind of popularity but who knows maybe you are right. A whole bunch of things became popular because of the timing of their release.

Edit: sorry about the double post

Cornbread78

Hundred ep.3
Wow, that was so generic and tropey, but it was hilarious, dude literally fell on two girls "by accident," got two boob grabs and a kiss from each! This is classic stuff right here!

That statement isnt accurate. If a manga that still has volumes that sell over 550K a volume a year four years post anime, is considered to not have survived well, then 90% of manga must be dead.

I didn't say it went to shit! What I meant is that it still lost it's early drive and it's popularity dropping caused the anime to stop.(Something similar to Reborn) I also believe that at this point many of Bleach followers are those that want to see how it ends.

Do note that what I say is based on things I red on the internet so I may be wrong and do correct me if I am.

I didn't say it went to shit! What I meant is that it still lost it's early drive and it's popularity dropping caused the anime to stop.(Something similar to Reborn) I also believe that at this point many of Bleach followers are those that want to see how it ends.

The anime ended over a decade into its manga's life cycle. That's way past the early drive. And they just ran out of material to adapt because they were already pretty close and I *think* Kubo took a 2-3 month break. Bleach is still huge, the rest will be adapted and it will be terrible. It doesn't really matter what the followers are doing if they are buying 500,000 volumes on launch week.

The anime ended over a decade into its manga's life cycle. That's way past the early drive. And they just ran out of material. Bleach is still huge, the rest will be adapted and it will be terrible. It doesn't really matter what the followers are doing if they are buying 500,000 volumes on launch week.

That's what I meant when I said something probably similar to Reborn. The anime stopped because they realized it wasn't helping the manga selling anymore. And you are right early drive is the wrong term! Just drive would have been more accurate.

Edit: Also you really think the Bleach anime will restart?

Aki-at

Assassination Classroom Manga - END

Got spoiled on the last 5 chapters, thought I might as well read it.

Stuff happened.

Huh, well that's a shame to hear, at the very least I'm hoping the fights are going to be great to watch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom