• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2016 |OT| Get a Season So Complicated

Status
Not open for further replies.
Even in terms of shounen action series, Ushio to Tora, Kabaneri, and Sousei no Onmyouji are airing now and are more compelling than the two episodes of MHA that I've watched. And I wouldn't exactly call those three fountains of originality.

The Hayate anime was a good comedy until Manglobe took over and ruined it.

what show is this

i love mirai nikki
Then you're in luck because the leads looks basically the same.

Is this your first Satoshi Kon film? If so, you should really check out his other films like Tokyo Godfathers, Millennium Actress, and Perfect Blue.

don't really know these creator's by name but i haven't seen any of those three, i've been meaning to watch perfect blue for a while tho. I'll add the other 2 on the list tho, thanks for the recommendations

firehawk12

Subete no aware
finally got around to seeing Paprika, boy that movie was a god damn acid trip! i enjoyed it, it was a lot of fun. i knew who the bad guy was tho, like who didn't see that one coming, amiriteorwat?
In AnimeGAF tradition, you have to state which is better - Parpika or Inception.

JulianImp

Just watching the first episode of Hundred because I guess I might as well try it once, and the random red characters were fun since they reminded me of ひぐらし/うみねこのなく頃に.

Other than that it seems generic as hell from this cold open. Deadly monsters with awful aim burninate the countryside, a girl (who's probably the same silver-haired boygirl I saw in screencaps around here) seemingly dies, and then there's a timeskip that jumps into the MC being admitted into a strange high school. The very definition of meh.

Cornbread78

I also guess rule34 will be all over the MC since his special ability is domination.

There are already some interesting images out there from the PVs..

My Bride is a Mermaid ep.12-13
This show is just too damn funny for it's own good. Even though a small spat of drama, the hilarious and over-the-top resolution between Luna-Chan and Sun-Chan was amazing. The best love triangle, lol. So many little details go into making this so damn good, lol.

Aki-at

Shirokuma - 23/24

I think for me it's fair to say when this show centres on Polar Bear or Penguin it's top of it's game, when it ventures off to Panda or some minor side characters it's more hit and miss, at least the spirit is consistent. I still love the show though, finally after a year and half I'm ALMOST at the halfway point.

Nisekoi - 1

I'm in desperate need of animated comedy to lift my spirits and remember seeing a clip of the show that made me chuckle. Not so much here and didn't really interest me except for a scene or too so I don't think I'll continue.

From the New World 13

An averagely made episode with mediocre character art, but Mamoru's story is pretty compelling. I can't help but feel bad for him. This society is not kind to the weak-willed.

JulianImp

There are already some interesting images out there from the PVs.

Sasuga rule 34.

Finished episode 1, but what's the deal with the cut-and-paste "guy gets admitted into school, picks a fight with top girl and (probably) wins" opening act? Formulaic writing like this is really annoying IMO, since it looks like they couldn't even come up with anything but reusing a series of events that have been done to hell and back by now.

Nisekoi - 1

I'm in desperate need of animated comedy to lift my spirits and remember seeing a clip of the show that made me chuckle. Not so much here and didn't really interest me except for a scene or too so I don't think I'll continue.

I've survived through two seasons of this, and must tell you you won't be missing out on anything by not watching Nisekoi.

Wanderer5

Holy shit, that ending of Hundred #3. I lost it when he knocks Emile aside, then trips right into the student president, and lo and behold.XD What a way to get a love triangle going.

Aki-at

I've survived through two seasons of this, and must tell you you won't be missing out on anything by not watching Nisekoi.

Reassuring to know, I always feel unsure about dropping a show on its first episode incase I'm being harsh but glad to hear it's not the case. Last time (probably not) I use youtube clips to weed out my next choice for a comedy.

Love Live S2 - 03: The spirit of sportsmanship
A-RISE really was better in every way after all

The ultimate rivals -- they know everything about their enemies. You can't beat that.

What is it with the rival idol groups often having way cooler songs? I mean, I suppose they don't really get written the "victory anthems" that the protagonists get, but their songs are most often better as stand-alone songs. They're often darker tracks, too. .

JulianImp

Reassuring to know, I always feel unsure about dropping a show on its first episode incase I'm being harsh but glad to hear it's not the case. Last time (probably not) I use youtube clips to weed out my next choice for a comedy.

My biggest gripe with it is that it's a stock harem show, and thus enforces the status quo to make sure the MC never ends up with any of his potential love interests. The best scene I remember had one of the girls confess to the MC after they talked for a while, only for the camera to finally switch over to showing his face and revealing that he had fallen asleep halfway through the conversation!

Then there's the whole thing about the MC having a locket from a promise he made with a girl back when he was a kid, and then multiple girls saying their key is the real one. The sensible solution would be to have them try and see who has the right key for the MC's pendant, but of course it gets stolen, broken or whatever in order to further prolong the audience's agony. I actually hate how much importance the whole cast places on that thing, since the concept of marrying someone now because of some promise made back when the characters were ten is unfathomable to me.

I've heard the manga has gotten better recently since the MC has already discarded several girls though, but still...

SalvaPot

Rurouni Kenshin 1

I forgot how nice the opening was. Animation is smooth and the artstyle is beautiful. Kenshin's Japanese voice is hilarious.

Dub Live S2 - 04: μ...tant cats
Tnr5Mhi.png

latest

Hundred Episode 3

Did the writer just happen to want to have a protagonist grabbing bewbies, I think were close to 5 times Hayato has grabbed someones bewbies accidentally, and the scenes arrent even natural they are just thrown in in such a comical way. Actually alot of silly things for the LN field is thrown in such a dumb silly way that you can see coming and it is someone hilarious.

I do wish we kept the Emile is a guy thing going on, though the Variant idea for both Emile and Hayato is compelling

ibyea

Banned
Rurouni Kenshin 1

I forgot how nice the opening was. Animation is smooth and the artstyle is beautiful. Kenshin's Japanese voice is hilarious.

I watched the first three episodes with my brother yesterday and he hilariously called Kenshin "the yodeling samurai" due to his voice. It was weird too since we were so used to the Spanish dub, not to mention the Spanish dub is superior.

Cornbread78

Sankarea ep.5
It's alive, she's ALIVE! Holy shit at that ending and that yuri lust, lol. This show is so damn creepy, but not in a bad way; it's just weird..

TUSR

Banned
Big Order, it's from the mangaka that wrote Mirai Nikki. Crunchyroll has it.

It's Big Order, and you can find the first episode on CR.

Link: http://www.crunchyroll.com/big-order/

You haven't heard of Big Order? It's the Mirai Nikki author's latest manga, and it has an anime adaptation airing right now.

Then you're in luck because the leads looks basically the same.

This sounds amazing, thanks.

Been busy lately and have had troubles keeping up with the season.

SalvaPot

I watched the first three episodes with my brother yesterday and he hilariously called Kenshin "the yodeling samurai" due to his voice. It was weird too since we were so used to the Spanish dub, not to mention the Spanish dub is superior.

Right? I used to watch the Latin American version and its such a different experience. its weird Netflix only has the rights to the Japanese and English dub.

From the New World 14

A little of the Yamauchi style leaks through in the prevalence of closeups, but with him only storyboarding and not directing there isn't too much of it. That has benefits - the editing and structure of the episode is logical and straightforward - and downsides - the visuals don't do much to spice things up, and sometimes were downright ugly (the colors in the hearth room were kind of bad). Probably the best Yamauchi-ish touch was the hatching in the flashback shots of Maria and Mamoru.

While it would have been nice to have some more visual flair to what is mostly an episode of two long conversations each in a single place, the writing is as compelling as it's ever been. It's nice to get deeper insight into how the Board of Education and the Ethics Committee function. I really wasn't expecting those revelations about Tomiko.
It does explain why the buildings in her Fiend story looked much more like contemporary Japan.

For the monster girl lovers here, Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid is getting a TV anime.

Miss Kobayashi is your average office worker who lives a boring life, alone in her small apartment–until she saves the life of a female dragon in distress. The dragon, named Tohru, has the ability to magically transform into an adorable human girl (albeit with horns and a long tail!), who will do anything to pay off her debt of gratitude, whether Miss Kobayashi likes it or not. With a very persistent and amorous dragon as a roommate, nothing comes easy, and Miss Kobayashi's normal life is about to go off the deep end!

Cornbread78

Nisekoi - 1

I thought Nisekoi was a pretty fun watch, but stuff like Is it a Zombie, My Bride is a Mermaid, D-Frag, B Gata H Kei and Sabagebu were much funnier.

From the New World 15

Nobutoshi Ogura knows how to create a really tense atmosphere out of limited resources. He seems to have strong control over the visual storytelling in his episodes, which makes me wonder how the show overall would have looked if he and not Ishihama had been in the director's seat. Ah well.

It was really interesting to see the development of the Robber Fly colony in just two years. They've come far in building a more sophisticated level of civilization. Squealer is determined to not let what his species has been bred for determine their future.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom