• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2016 |OT| Get a Season So Complicated

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aki-at

I thought Nisekoi was a pretty fun watch, but stuff like Is it a Zombie, My Bride is a Mermaid, D-Frag, B Gata H Kei and Sabagebu were much funnier.

Hm Julian makes me think it gets decidedly more serious when the locket comes into play, especially if everyone ends up having one.

I watched a episode of Is it a Zombie but I'll check out those other shows, thanks for the suggestion!

Theonik

Mahoutsukai PreCure 01-11
uivclg.png

An accurate observation.
I'm quite impressed by this show especially as a PreCure show. The animation is probably the weakest part that might be disappointing coming from GoPrincess for some but this show does a lot to mix up the PreCure formula that is really welcome. Even the fights have felt more fluid and fun which even HeartCatch suffered from for the non-climax fights. I've actually enjoyed watching them!

The setting and character interactions are pretty cute and well done. There is still a bit of weirdness in how the show is trying to be a PreCure show but doesn't seem to want to be one, and I'm not completely fond of the battle designs.

Overall I'd say it's a sold show so far.

blurr

Idolm@ster Cinderella Girls 01

I was looking forward to descending the idol hell for the longest time and I just dipped in.

My sense of anticipation for finally starting an Idol show and turn of events is sort of reflective to Uzuki through out this episode:

Uzuki: "oh wow finally idols"

Producer: "wait"

Producer: "join"

Rin: "no"

Repeat until the end - that being said, it wasn't exactly a bore, just a slow start and it's something I appreciate. However I'm honestly not sure what to expect, the content isn't something I thought I'd watch until I saw it blow up all over the community. Im@s CG is my attempt to find out why and get a taste of it myself.

I am impressed with the production quality and direction. I loved the 'not so serious but not so peppy' tone and framing of various scenes through out the episode - Uzuki speaking with Rin, Producer(is he always called producer?) and Rin/Uzuki facing each other.

One instance of character animation stood out, rest of the scenes didn't have much going on - in the beginning when the 'trainer' runs up to the producer to ask who he is.

(I will admit I was a bit taken aback by the idol dance sequence in the beginning)

Looking forward to watch more of it.

JulianImp

Hm Julian makes me think it gets decidedly more serious when the locket comes into play, especially if everyone ends up having one.

I watched a episode of Is it a Zombie but I'll check out those other shows, thanks for the suggestion!

It doesn't get serious, actually. The MC starts the show with it, and slowly the audience learns that every main girl happens to have a key and also supposedly made some childhood promise with the MC that neither of them remembers all that well. The locket's basically used as a McGuffin to keep the audience guessing who was the girl who the MC liked back then (as if it'd matter), but as soon as somebody musters up the courage to bring it up it gets stolen, lost or some other diabolus ex machina happens in order to prolong the audience's agony. One time someone tries a key but the lock gets stuck, and then the locket's supposedly sent for repairs offscreen and spends many many episodes out of the picture until it comes back and is every bit as uselesess as before.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I believe some nickname him TakeP after his voice actor.

Also, fun spot of trivia, his VA is younger than all the VAs of the girls.

Wagamama High Spec Ep 2

Ummmm what? Someone here please alert me if anything ever happens, I never thought that 120 seconds would be too long for a show

Tanaka-kun - 02

Another enjoyable episode. Miyano is a good addition to the cast, I like her active and expressive behavior and how it serves as a balance to the show as a counterpart to Tanaka.
I like how some of the 'mood visual representations' interacted with the cast, like the softball throws.

Bakuon! Ep 3

As someone whose Da sells second hand stuff I can totally feel Frizz-chan in this episode, the joys of family businesses! Stig-chan continues to emulate her namesake with a seemingly timeless existence. I like this, it's a gentle nothing show but it works for me.

Cornbread78

Kimikiss Pure Rouge ep.20-END
9aoCUyd.jpg
H1Ni0A7.jpg

Man, that ending produced so many tears after so much drama between everyone and all of the main ships. However, that last minute of the show was still beautiful! I wish the resolutions for the drama came earlier, but they still managed to settle all the ships and all the character drama, but I'll take it since they actually settled everything, I would have to put the ending as the definition of bittersweet for everyone involved since there was winners and losers involved and what is most astonishing is that
the CHILDHOOD FRIEND WON!!!!!
You knew it was happening, but I was still waiting for a sad anime cop-out that never came, thankfully... Overall, I really liked the show even with the added drama. The characters were all pretty likeable and there was no stupid crap to make me hate myself as most romance/drama's tend to do towards the end. It was good stuff.

Lord Snow

Banned
Which anime would you guys recommend to someone (me) who only watches it for the fights?

I've not seen a lot, but I have seen (and loved) Dragon Ball Z, Hunter X Hunter, Fullmetal Alchemist. I know One Piece is meant to be good but 600+ episodes to catch up is on too much for me.

I would prefer a longer series but just not 500+ episodes long.

Which anime would you guys recommend to someone (me) who only watches it for the fights?

I've not seen a lot, but I have seen (and loved) Dragon Ball Z, Hunter X Hunter, Fullmetal Alchemist. I know One Piece is meant to be good but 600+ episodes to catch up is on too much for me.

Majin Bone
Saint Seiya Omega
Code Breaker
Accel World
Hero Bank

Qurupeke

How about One Punch Man?

One Punch Man.

Watch the movie Sword of the Stranger

Yu Yu Hakusho

Sakura

Kimikiss Pure Rouge ep.20-END
9aoCUyd.jpg
H1Ni0A7.jpg

Man, that ending produced so many tears after so much drama between everyone and all of the main ships. However, that last minute of the show was still beautiful! I wish the resolutions for the drama came earlier, but they still managed to settle all the ships and all the character drama, but I'll take it since they actually settled everything, I would have to put the ending as the definition of bittersweet for everyone involved since there was winners and losers involved and what is most astonishing is that
the CHILDHOOD FRIEND WON!!!!!
You knew it was happening, but I was still waiting for a sad anime cop-out that never came, thankfully... Overall, I really liked the show even with the added drama. The characters were all pretty likeable and there was no stupid crap to make me hate myself as most romance/drama's tend to do towards the end. It was good stuff.

I think Kimikiss is a good example of a dating sim/galge adaption being handled well.
Most of the time it's just the obvious main heroine and the other girls are kind of in the shadows, or it's that dumb omnibus format.

duckroll

After watching Sword of the Stranger there is no point giving a shit about fights in any animated medium ever again because it will never be surpassed in our lifetime.

Ascheroth

One Punch Man. It's not long (12 episodes), but. One Punch Man.
Also, Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann (27 episodes), if you haven't seen it. It's hotblooded awesomeness in its purest form. The battles just get crazier and crazier, and everytime you think the last fight can't be topped anymore... Yeah, you're wrong.
For something longer, give JoJo a try. Start with the 2012 series that covers parts 1 & 2 (26 episodes), then Stardust Crusaders (part 3, 48 episodes) and part 4 (presumed to be 39 episodes) is currently airing.

Majin Bone - 52 episodes, and almost all of them have fantastic fights. The show's got fantastic characters and a great story as well, so I consider it to be a must watch.

Gundam Build Fighters S1 - 25 episodes. If you like robots, then you'll definetly like GBF. Show's about this big toy robot fighting tournament that has the Gundam name on it. While you might miss some references, one can definetly enjoy the show without having any prior knowledge of the franchise.

How could I forget, seconding both of those.

Majin Bone - 52 episodes, and almost all of them have fantastic fights. The show's got fantastic characters and a great story as well, so I consider it to be a must watch.

Gundam Build Fighters S1 - 25 episodes. If you like robots, then you'll definetly like GBF. Show's about this big toy robot fighting tournament that has the Gundam name on it. While you might miss some references, one can definetly enjoy the show without having any prior knowledge of the franchise.

phaze

I take it you want good action, not necessarily good action shows. If so then:

Fate Stay/Night: Unlimited Blade Works
Yozakura Quartet + OVAs (pretty good show)
Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood (good show)
Gurren Lagann (good show)
Afro Samurai
One Punch Man
Birdy the Mighty Decode
Select Naruto episodes (yes I'm serious)

Joker Game 3
This episode was really sloppy with history and dates, it was pretty distracting even. You'd think the writers could have spent a few minutes on a wiki to check simple things like that Vichy France wasn't occupied until 1942, that the UK declared war on Germany in 1939, and that the Germany and Japan allying would hardly be surprising to a supposed super spy in 1940.

Though it worked well enough as a self contained story, albeit one heavy on exposition (and some unnatural dialogue, like a French person awkwardly explaining what a collaborator is) and some silly medical stuff with the how the memory loss works.

duckroll

Nope, even mecha is boring after Stranger. In the end, action is all about momentum, impact, and complexity of set pieces. Doesn't matter if it's a human or a robot, if it's 2D or 3D. Nothing under the action genre will ever surpass how perfect the movie starts, teases, builds up, and then climaxes. Every single scene is a puzzle piece that connects together to form a visual narrative that flows from one action to the next in a perfect way.

Puruzi

Banned

Only fights?

Star Driver.

So fucking good

SalvaPot

Hajime no Ippo, is a boxing anime.

phaze

Nope, even mecha is boring after Stranger. In the end, action is all about momentum, impact, and complexity of set pieces. Doesn't matter if it's a human or a robot, if it's 2D or 3D. Nothing under the action genre will ever surpass how perfect the movie starts, teases, builds up, and then climaxes. Every single scene is a puzzle piece that connects together to form a visual narrative that flows from one action to the next in a perfect way.

I want whatever it is that you're smoking. Sword of Stranger is a trite story that has nothing going for it outside of its isolated fight scenes.

Bleach and Katekyo hitman Reborn

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom