• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2016 |OT| Get a Season So Complicated

Status
Not open for further replies.

duckroll

I want whatever it is that you're smoking. Sword of Stranger is a trite story that has nothing going for it outside of its isolated fight scenes.

Roflmao. Every single cut in the movie is deliberately planned to communicate specific things to the audience about both place and self. It's a very intimate and tight visual narrative that doesn't need to have a complex story. It's a masterclass in film direction. There are very few films, much less animated films, which communicates geographic direction as well.

TUSR

Banned
SKe55xF.gif

7kBOexR.gif

Which anime would you guys recommend to someone (me) who only watches it for the fights?

I've not seen a lot, but I have seen (and loved) Dragon Ball Z, Hunter X Hunter, Fullmetal Alchemist. I know One Piece is meant to be good but 600+ episodes to catch up is on too much for me.

I would prefer a longer series but just not 500+ episodes long.

Baccano
Blue Exorcist: The Movie (action isn't the highlight, but it's not bad)
Code:Breaker
Dirty Pair (TV, OVA, and Project Eden movie)
Fate/Zero
Fullmetal Alchemist: Sacred Star of Milos (also, if you're only watched one out of the 2003 or Brotherhood TV series, you should go watch the other one)
Garo the Animation (the first anime series with its upcoming sequel film Divine Flame, not Garo: Crimson Moon)
Gintama (if you just want the fights, you can watch the serious arcs)
Gunslinger Girl (not really based in action, but what action is there is quite good)
Hunter X Hunter: If you've only watched the 2011 series, watch the 1999 series (or vice versa)
Jojo's Bizarre Adventure: both OVA and TV
Kizuna Ichigeki
Majin Bone
One Piece Film Z (the TV series is not worth watching in its entierty, but this and some of the other movies/specials are worth checking out for action)
Skull Man
You Are Umasou (really!)
Yozakura Quartet: Hana no Uta
Yuu Yuu Hakusho

That should be enough for starters.

duckroll

Just booted Stranger up again for kicks, and the opening sequence after the title card is a great example of Ando's superb ability to establish a scene. The BIV fly over with the seagulls naturally transit from showing the shoreline (establishing the location in relation to the land), to establishing an overview of the layout on the shore with the hut, and you see the dog coming into the frame from the top just before the camera cuts, so the audience is taken into the scene equipped with knowledge of the surroundings. Goddamn.

Cornbread78

I think Kimikiss is a good example of a dating sim/galge adaption being handled well.
Most of the time it's just the obvious main heroine and the other girls are kind of in the shadows, or it's that dumb omnibus format.

I was surprised they kept it all together and didn't resort to any crap tropes to seek alternate paths. It was actually pretty damn well done and believable in the end.

pbayne

Joker Game 3

Hey did you know knocks to the head both cause and cure amnesia? Who knew?
Didn't think much off the episode really. Wasn't bad or good, just kind of there.

phaze

Roflmao. Every single cut in the movie is deliberately planned to communicate specific things to the audience about both place and self. It's a very intimate and tight visual narrative that doesn't need to have a complex story. It's a masterclass in film direction. There are very few films, much less animated films, which communicates geographic direction as well.

I mean, to shamelessly backpedal a bit, it is a pretty well directed movie from what I remember, despite my derogatory comment I won't dispute that but I really feel you're overestimating it quite a lot.

Joker Game 03

Strike Witches is still the most historically accurate WWII anime.

Russ T

Banned
Bungo Stray Dogs 1, 2

That... was far FAR more entertaining than I honestly expected! And funny to boot! I'm glad this turned out well, as it was something I figured could just as easily have flopped hard.

It's definitely the kind of series that can live or die by the Big Plot, though, so there's still that worry...

Joker Game - 3

Meh, gonna drop it here.

Feels like some masturbatory I'm so smart!!! bullshit. I'm not interested in following a bunch of unknown super duper spies ease their way through tough situations just to smirk at the camera/audience to proclaim they want some real work.

These scenarios in foreign countries also exacerbate the issue of dubbing completely in Japanese. Couldn't help reminiscing about Inglorious Bastards and its multilanguage version.

duckroll

I mean, to shamelessly backpedal a bit, it is a pretty well directed movie from what I remember, despite my derogatory comment I won't dispute that but I really feel you're overestimating it quite a lot.

Don't think so. I've watched the movie like 15 times. It's one of the best action films ever made, and definitely the best animated action film ever made. It's lean, tight, and filled with purpose. It doesn't do anything frivolously, and every single beat of action throughout is unique. It never repeats itself, and yet it never feels like it is holding back either.

It's like how David Fincher describes Alien, how it is a perfect movie because it knows exactly what it wants to be, and every single frame is contributes to that goal.

The secret best scenes in Stranger aren't even the action scenes. That's just the payoff and spectacle. In the bridge fight scene, the most effective shots are the ones with the kids playing with the tops and the old man fishing under the bridge. They're placed carefully to triangulate the focus of the action, and by showing people react to the disturbance, they give the entire sequence a true sense of space and impact. Nothing happens in a vacuum, and as such the viewer never feels disconnected but rather a an actual bystander watching things unfold. It's truly brilliant.

Cornbread78

Strike Witches is still the most historically accurate WWII anime.

I need to watch that at some point. I've heard nothing but good things here about how amazing it is....

Strike the Blood ep. 6-8
G7Pm1M7.gif

This show is pretty good. I mean, who know where the hell the plot is going, but the battles are pretty intense and well done and he officially has 2 blood harem members now, so more ladies for the party, I guess. This is better than I expected, I guess.

Ascheroth

Joker Game - 03

Have to agree that this episode wasn't anything to write home about, didn't really feel either way about it.
I'm also not sure if I like this episodic format they seem to be rolling with now. Feels kind of weird when the last 2 episodes where basically dedicated to Sakuma and his development and now it feels like this didn't even matter.

phaze

I need to watch that at some point. I've heard nothing but good things here about how amazing it is....

Just so that we're crystal clear and that I'm not accused of a troll rec again, the post you quoted should be by no means taken as some kind of endorsement of Strike Witches. It's a show that transcends in crappiness even quite a bit of your usual fare so please spare yourself from it.

Mawaru Penguindrum 8

This show is crazy.- Shouma proves yet again that he's the best character in it. Well, until I decide if I like or hate Ringo.
Ringo a best.

Cornbread78

Just so that we're crystal clear and that I'm not accused of a troll rec again, the post you quoted should be by no means taken as some kind of endorsement of Strike Witches. It's a show that transcends in crappiness even quite a bit of your usual fare so please spare yourself from it.

I know, that was internet sarcasm at it's best.....

but with that said, I did watch the first episode of:

Date a Live ep.1
Pay0D2d.jpg

WTF is this show? First 5 mns, we have the clingy and annoying imouto then she transforms into some crazy tsundere battle commander of a secret organization.... WTF.
I think this is going to turn into a hate watch as I already hate all of the characters other than the stupid nurse or the homeroom teacher.....

Ascheroth

Endride - 03

Continues to be alright. It kind of drags at times and is kind of fun at other times. Liking the character interactions and the fantasy world so far (nice backgrounds don't hurt).
But man are the OP and ED doing a great job sucking all the excitement away before the show even starts...
Still not a show I'd really recommend though.

zulux21

Date a Live ep.1
Pay0D2d.jpg

WTF is this show? First 5 mns, we have the clingy and annoying imouto then she transforms into some crazy tsundere battle commander of a secret organization.... WTF.
I think this is going to turn into a hate watch as I already hate all of the characters other than the stupid nurse or the homeroom teacher.....

it doesn't really get any better.
I can't even remember most of the "plot" just that I watched it and blocked it from my memory lol.

PKrockin

Why do posts like these compel me to watch anime so much more than honest glowing reviews

Why do posts like these compel me to watch anime so much more than honest glowing reviews

See this is the exact impulse that led me to watch Elfen Lied and other trashy fare it is not good for you, stop now!
I can't

Edit: I hate you Funi so, so much. So today's adventures in FunimationNow.ie include episodes just straight up missing such as numbers 5 & 6 from Season 1 of High School DxD (so far not as good as Demon King Daimo) and the whole of season 2, 1 &3 are there but no 2. Is this a thing in other territories?

Now that I've finished watching Bamboo Blade and am half way through Claymore your time is running out to fix this shit esp. as I cannot stream an entire episode of anything without losing sync.

Have you heard the good news of Eiken good sir?

Get thee behind me Satan!!

4.72 on MAL? Enough zeros on ANN that the graph looks like it might stand on it's own? Why must you tempt me so?

You could always watch Engage Planet Kiss Dum instead. I'm sure this very insightful review is spot on about it's quality.

It's recommended to people who just want a cool action show.

I picked the wrong time to read this thread, so much gold

zulux21

I feel like this is a good time to point out a show called Hen Zemi exists (ova and tv series) as I would always love to see some reactions to that one :p

Sterok

Joker Game 3

Once again this is possibly an interesting look into the world of spies, but it's not particularly gripping or engaging. The episodic format makes it hard to get attached to anyone. I'll continue with it for now, but it's not something I'd particularly recommend.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom