• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2016 |OT| Get a Season So Complicated

Status
Not open for further replies.

sonicmj1

Joker Game 3

Terrible episodic story. The spies in the show are more or less ciphers already, and the episode really failed to get me to give even the slightest of shits about the Resistance members, since it was so busy setting up how many awesome skills our temporarily amnesiac hero had. Without any characters to care about or a meaningful plot to connect with, why should I even spend time watching?

The show has this habit of overexplaining itself to show how smart its characters are, and it gets in the way of building an organic connection with those characters. It also mucks with the pacing when the episodes end. That wasn't as big a problem in the first two episodes because enough time is given to characterize Sakuma, but if it keeps happening in these smaller spy stories, I'm gonna cash out of this game early.

Aniplex is presenting me with another wonderful opportunity to badger them with requests to release Mushishi! This Friday at 9PM EST they'll do doing another Aniplex Live on Twitch.

Thoraxes, your time to annoy them into releasing Samurai Flamenco has arrived!

Is this the platform I can use to beg them for BD release of God Eater?

From the New World 16

Cgctca7W8AARpZJ.jpg

I wasn't expecting this episode to be so good. It's storyboarded by Mamoru Kurosawa, who is responsible for the lowest point of the show in episode 6, and while his episode 11 was adequate it still wasn't as good as this one. There was a lot of creative visual framing as well as moments of really good animation and just sharp direction all around. Especially admirable is the first half dedicated to the reading of Maria's letter, as the passage makes a big effort to complement the letter with strong visual storytelling. There was a fair bit of reused footage, but even that was smartly and effectively integrated.

Also notable is Saki's dream sequence, which had a really trippy visual style with eye-catching designs and animation:

It was good that this episode was as well-executed as it was, because it created a strong conclusion to the 14 year old arc. The character relationships have been effectively fleshed out by this time so that Saki's feelings of despair have a real impact, as does Maria's distaste for the way the village runs things. Saki's fear of loneliness, knowing there is no one but Satoru now she can rely upon, is powerfully conveyed as well. Squealer continues to be suspicious, and it seems we'll be seeing a lot more of him and the other rats in the next arc. I wonder how the rest of the series will balance Saki's story and human society with Squealer's and the queerrats.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I told TUSR to watch SDF Macross and DYRL months ago.

Did he listen to me?

Nooooooooo.

But he'd know what Macross is right now if he had finished both.

Nyan nyan nyan nyan nihao nyan

rrvv

I told TUSR to watch SDF Macross and DYRL months ago.

Did he listen to me?

Nooooooooo.

But he'd know what Macross is right now if he had finished both.

Nyan nyan nyan nyan nihao nyan

That is like 9 years ago.

Now is GIRI GIRI AIIIIII!!!!

When I was trying to think of another anime school that looked as neat as this one, Madoka was also the example that came to mind. Some great architectural minds buried within anime art studios.

Cool. The colors aren't nearly as appealing in real life as they are in Tanaka-kun, but that's to be expected.

Hm... If it's somebody who uses real life buildings designed by someone else, can you really say that they're great architectural minds?

Of course, they're still great at creating artwork.

Cornbread78

Sankarea ep.6
rea-leaf.jpg

Ok, the weirdness of this show continues. Yes, she is now officially a
resurrected zombie
the tough part is how she keeps her current form. There is no way this show ends on a positive note unless the older childhood friend gets sone love in the end, because she is the best so far, lol.

Sankarea ep.6
http://wanabrar.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/rea-leaf.jpg[img]
Ok, the weirdness of this show continues. Yes, she is now officially a [spoiler]resurrected zombie[/spoiler] the tough part is how she keeps her current form. There is no way this show ends on a positive note [B]unless the older childhood friend gets sone love in the end,[/B] because she is the best so far, lol.[/QUOTE]
You're watched enough anime to know better.

Sankarea ep.6
rea-leaf.jpg

Ok, the weirdness of this show continues. Yes, she is now officially a
resurrected zombie
the tough part is how she keeps her current form. There is no way this show ends on a positive note unless the older childhood friend gets sone love in the end, because she is the best so far, lol.
You poor soul :v

Aki-at

D-Frag! - 1

Well that was... something! Pretty crazy action with even stranger outcomes but I liked it for the most part, not sure if the show can stay fresh with it's routine though.

Incidentally with the new images for the Magnificent Seven remake I went back and watched a couple of episodes of Samurai 7 and boy does the op and ed give me a serious dose of nostalgia.

D-Frag! - 1

Well that was... something! Pretty crazy action with even stranger outcomes but I liked it for the most part, not sure if the show can stay fresh with it's routine though.

Incidentally with the new images for the Magnificent Seven remake I went back and watched a couple of episodes of Samurai 7 and boy does the op and ed give me a serious dose of nostalgia.
I watched it on a whim and really enjoyed D-frag, I ended up reading the manga too because I needed more.

jonjonaug

Did anyone in here watch Nozaki-kun? I've read the first two volumes of the manga and want more, but I'm not sure if I want to jump over to the anime or just wait for more manga volumes to come out.

I think the deciding factor is if the drama club president ever cross dresses in the anime. Does this happen?

Grexeno

Did anyone in here watch Nozaki-kun? I've read the first two volumes of the manga and want more, but I'm not sure if I want to jump over to the anime or not for more if that's the case.

I think the deciding factor is if the drama club president ever cross dresses in the anime. Does this happen?
Nozaki-kun was 3rd in the Anime of the Year 2014 voting.

I think people watched it. You should watch it. It's really fucking good.

Busaiku

Did anyone in here watch Nozaki-kun? I've read the first two volumes of the manga and want more, but I'm not sure if I want to jump over to the anime or just wait for more manga volumes to come out.

Hori never crossdresses, he doesn't in the comic either.

jonjonaug

Nozaki-kun was 3rd in the Anime of the Year 2014 voting.

I think people watched it. You should watch it. It's really fucking good.

I'm reading it. The problem is that I don't really want to spoil the voices of the characters in my head now, because I'm going with Yu Kobayashi as my voice for Seo and don't want to be let down. But if it has animated cross dressing short guys and their dashing tall prince-girls then this changes things.

Hori never crossdresses, he doesn't in the comic either.

Man...what a waste. :(

Pokemon XY 16

1rZwoNQ.png

Bonnie's "wingwoman" gimmick is pretty entertaining. Always on the look out for suitable girls for her brother.

Dd5GEtD.png

Way to lose your Pokemon like idiots and cause your families a ton of stress. Ya dummies.

Is it me or did Pokemon get really freakin cute? Everyone and everything is just so cute. Dedenne is just so dumb and Pikachu is as cute as ever. But the human characters do a lot of cute stuff too. I guess they've been paying attention to all the moe stuff floating around the past 10 years.

Aki-at

I watched it on a whim and really enjoyed D-frag, I ended up reading the manga too because I needed more.

Yeah no kidding, thought I'd just check the first few minutes of the next episode and it had me in stitches. Seems like it'll be a great show, shame it's only 12 episodes :(

jgminto

Gargantia on the Verderous Planet 3

This seems an impossibly naive sentiment in the face of enemies who openly state that they'd rather die than surrender. In light of the fact that the Gargantia dwellers had no problem using potentially lethal ship cannons, it is also hypocritical. I can understand the concern that Ledo's actions caused, but they can't entirely claim the moral high ground here.

Also, those pirate designs are goofy as all get out.
I remember the big thread argument that episode caused.

PKrockin

Tanaka-kun is Always Listless 2

I really like the architecture in this show.

The soothing geometric patterns combined with the pleasantly mild color scheme creates a gentle atmosphere. If these designers crafted real-life schools or workplaces, I bet they would improve the mood of the people working in them considerably.

Even a shot as simple as this is attractive due to the smooth marble tile floor. It feels refined and classy.

The school in Tanaka-kun is probably the best anime school I've seen since Madoka's awesome future-school. I wonder if it's based off a real place.

The show is pretty nice too.
I always wondered, if you're going to set your anime mostly in a school, why don't you make the school visually distinct and memorable like this? Instead most of them look the same, even "magic schools". They could have copied and pasted the design for all of them and I don't think I ever would have noticed. They're like prisons.

Pokemon XY 16

http://i.imgur.com/1rZwoNQ.png[IMG]

Bonnie's "wingwoman" gimmick is pretty entertaining. Always on the look out for suitable girls for her brother.

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/Dd5GEtD.png[IMG]

Way to lose your Pokemon like idiots and cause your families a ton of stress. Ya dummies.

Is it me or did Pokemon get really freakin cute? Everyone and everything is just so cute. Dedenne is just so dumb and Pikachu is as cute as ever. But the human characters do a lot of cute stuff too. I guess they've been paying attention to all the moe stuff floating around the past 10 years.[/QUOTE]
It really is cute as hell. It feels like they're trying more than ever to reach female demographics, from Pokemon having more "aww" scenes in the anime to the trainer fashion and Pokemon petting/feeding in the games. My sister's watching the anime and playing the game now, so I guess it's working. lol

Sakura

This seems an impossibly naive sentiment in the face of enemies who openly state that they'd rather die than surrender. In light of the fact that the Gargantia dwellers had no problem using potentially lethal ship cannons, it is also hypocritical. I can understand the concern that Ledo's actions caused, but they can't entirely claim the moral high ground here.

Yea it's rather ridiculous, but it's written by Urobuchi, what do you expect?

Wish Upon the Pleiades 9

V8urPE6.jpg

Still lovely starscapes.

If there's one thing anime has taught me, it's that you can't have an official school club without at least 3 members. Or sometimes 5. So then how can Subaru be in an astronomy club of one?!

jonjonaug

She's not saying that engaging in combat with the pirates is bad, she's saying that escalating the conflict is bad.

Jintor

I always wondered, if you're going to set your anime mostly in a school, why don't you make the school visually distinct and memorable like this? Instead most of them look the same, even "magic schools". They could have copied and pasted the design for all of them and I don't think I ever would have noticed. They're like prisons.

It kinda depends on your situation as a show and where your focus is. Non Non Biyori's school for instance is instantly recognizable.

I bet a bunch of places just decide a local school or former school is where they're gonna set the place, and a lot of schools look similar, so that's how it turns out. That said, Kyoani schools are all god damn gorgeous.

Weirdly nice looking schools that pop into mind immediately: Gekkan Shoujo's school (not for any particular reason other than I think it might be a gakuen and looks goddamn huge), K-On school, Sound Euphonium School (Kitauji High I believe), the elementary school in Wolf Children, Non Non Biyori's one-room tiny school

/edit oh and KLK's school. but that was deliberately designed to be a prison.

Also prison school. as above

jonjonaug

AFAIK most Japanese schools in anime look the same because most Japanese schools in real life really do look the same.

It really is cute as hell. It feels like they're trying more than ever to reach female demographics, from Pokemon having more "aww" scenes in the anime to the trainer fashion and Pokemon petting/feeding in the games. My sister's watching the anime and playing the game now, so I guess it's working. lol

I'm sure it also helps having competent female characters that get good development and screen time as well. Bonnie and Serena are pretty great so far.

I'm a couple of episodes ahead of my impressions but there have been some really adorable moments in this season. I especially enjoy the scenes with just Pokemon gesturing and communicating with each other.

I mean look at this

JoZnD49.png

Tyrantrum pajamas. hSDflkhasdlfkhaseopifgh20-3ru32jdw

Monogatari had good architecture!!

That it does, though I wouldn't want to live in any of those buildings.

I remember the big thread argument that episode caused.

Yep. Went on for days.

*cue Arjuna dialogue*

But really, art design is hard, especially for man-made structures as opposed to natural environments. You have to have an art director and/or overall director who is really invested in making the backgrounds stand out for them to be attractive.

She's not saying that engaging in combat with the pirates is bad, she's saying that escalating the conflict is bad.

Well, Bellows says earlier that murder is the biggest taboo and that you shouldn't kill a single one of the pirates because of their humanity. I get what's going on here, Bellows and the rest of the Gargantia crew feel strongly about the value of human lives (a feeling I personally share), and is trying to impress that upon Ledo, who due to the world he comes from has little regard for human lives. But there's a little more nuance here, nuance that is shown by the crew's actions, that she fails to express. The principle of self-defense and all that. That's not a criticism of the show so much as a criticism of how these characters choose to think about and express their moral philosophy.

The real criticism I have of this episode is how I simply cannot take the pirates seriously as villains. Rackage even has a Team Rocket blasting away again moment at the end there.

rrvv

Wish Upon the Pleiades 9

If there's one thing anime has taught me, it's that you can't have an official school club without at least 3 members. Or sometimes 5. So then how can Subaru be in an astronomy club of one?!

isnt that 3-5 members is only applied if you want to create brand new club? The astronomy club could be existed before she join

PKrockin

AFAIK most Japanese schools in anime look the same because most Japanese schools in real life really do look the same.
This is anime though. Feels like a real missed opportunity when your main setting looks identical to tons of other shows. I suppose I'm just watching the wrong shows, too.

I'm sure it also helps having competent female characters that get good development and screen time as well. Bonnie and Serena are pretty great so far.

I'm a couple of episodes ahead of my impressions but there have been some really adorable moments in this season. I especially enjoy the scenes with just Pokemon gesturing and communicating with each other.

I mean look at this

JoZnD49.png

Tyrantrum pajamas. hSDflkhasdlfkhaseopifgh20-3ru32jdw
If you thought that was cute just wait for the ninja episode (assuming you haven't seen it yet? I've been watching these with my sister a bit out of order).

Yeah no kidding, thought I'd just check the first few minutes of the next episode and it had me in stitches. Seems like it'll be a great show, shame it's only 12 episodes :(
There's an OVA but other than that that's it.

The best thing about D-Frag were all the euphemisms for knockers.
Yeah and some of the phrases they throw out. "You're making look like some kind of Perv-Mage!"

D-frag was pretty solid. Just wish the MC screaming all the damn time was toned down a bit.
I saw it in dub and thought it was good, not too over the top with yelling. I haven't seen it in Japanese tho.

Jintor

This is anime though. Feels like a real missed opportunity when your main setting looks identical to tons of other shows. I suppose I'm just watching the wrong shows, too.

Like hox says, it also depends to what extent the background is actually important in your show.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom