• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2016 |OT| Get a Season So Complicated

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cornbread78

Kyon has the best monologue, in both audios.

only reason to watch Haruhi is to watch Kyon, the best character, and then to watch the movie, which is Kyon centered.

Yes and yes. I'm only a few episodes in but so far him narrativs have been great.

I dont understand how any more of Eden of the East is comparable to or described by "mirai nikki" ;/

The whole phone/diary thing,
then the ten of them die when they run out of money
or they kill each other, etc..

Cornbread78

My Bride is a Mermaid ep.14
I lost it this episode from start to finish with the killer kitty. This show is soo stupid with some things but I laughed like histarically at this one. Poor little shellfish Maki bearing the brunt of it all, lol.

sonicmj1

Bungou Stray Dogs 3

Not sure if I want to continue this anymore.

The dark tone shift about halfway through the episode really didn't work for me. Everything up until then has been very light and comic, including in all the potentially tense encounters so far. Even if the comedy was fairly typical, I liked how it was handled, brimming with energetic caricatures, never afraid to go as far as it took to visually sell all its tsukkomi-bokke routines. The protagonists are private detectives who certainly do dangerous shit, but everything seemed all in good fun, kind of like Libra in Blood Blockade Battlefront.

I have a somewhat difficult time squaring away the brutal death and buckets of blood in this episode with what I saw earlier, or with the "I'll get you next time," way the battle ended. I don't think the show can have things both ways.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Since everybody seems (rightfully) weirded out by Junichiro and Naomi Tanizaki in this episode, I thought it'd be worth taking a little time to write about their literary inspiration, the Japanese author Junichiro Tanizaki.

I actually read one of Junichiro Tanizaki's books in a Japanese history class I took in college, his sibling's namesake, Naomi. In that novel from 1924, the main character, a well-to-do engineer, is obsessed with this exotic Western culture that is sweeping into Japanese life. He encounters the titular Naomi working in a cafe, and falling for her Eurasian looks and Western-seeming charms, decides he will raise this fifteen-year-old girl into his ideal mogal (modern girl). He takes her in and maintains a chaste relationship with her, giving her English lessons and encouraging her to become a modern Western-type lady, sophisticated and independent. However, in time he winds up in thrall to Naomi, conceding to all her desires. By the end of the book, they're married, but he sleeps alone as she entertains Western guests without him.

It's really a metaphor for Japan's singleminded obsession with the trappings of European culture at the time. It's a pretty good book.

According to Wikipedia, a lot of his works had erotic elements to them. Not just the Genji-esque raising of girls into ideal women, but Oedipal obsession, lesbianism, sado-masochism, and cuckolding. There's even mention of "NTR" in his personal life, with his rocky first marriage.

No word of brother-sister incest, though. I guess that's just anime/light novels for you.

So I'm reading the My Hero Academia manga and yeah, the pacing of the anime so far is really slow in comparison.

I think it works in the show's favor though. Important moments like Deku rushing to the rescue in episode 2 and the training arc in episode 3 are given a lot more weight to them to make them feel more genuine.

Also it's really good. Like, REALLY good. It's a legit good shounen that I'm happy is getting a super awesome OST to make the awesome moments in the manga even more awesome.

Had it not been for Jojo Diamond is Unbreakable airing right now this show would be my AOTS with these first three episodes on their own.

Cornbread78

No shit, lots of unfounded hate for quality anime like Hundred by people pretending to be snobby in order to impress each other.

C'mon, there's nobody around here perched that high on a pedastal with their nose up in the air to act that way... never...

My Bride is a Mermaid ep.15
Poor class pres, lol. Thus show could easily be a harem if they really wanted to go that route, but I'm glad they keep it at a comedy because it's sooo much better that way, lol.

I can't do it, I can't watch the second season of Rin-ne, I had to force myself to finish season 1 and I just don't care at all about the world or the characters.

No shit, lots of unfounded hate for quality anime like Hundred by people pretending to be snobby in order to impress each other.
Idk man, Hundred is pretty meh. The only redeeming part of that show is Emilia :v

I need a season 2 of Bento.... Curse you light novels!

duckroll

I'm reading this chuuni western mangoo that firehawk recommended called アイキルジャイヤンズ. It's pretty good. Probably better than whatever animu you just watched, which is shiiiiiiiit.

I feel like Joker Game is the most disappointing show of the season.

It's not even a bad show, it's just not really what I want. I don't want amnesia in my spy stories.

JulianImp

I feel like Joker Game is the most disappointing show of the season.

It's not even a bad show, it's just not really what I want. I don't want amnesia in my spy stories.

Still haven't watched the third episode, but I'd probably be inclined to agree amnesia seems like a pretty bad cop-out when it comes to troperrific plots.

I mean, most of the season's bad shows embrace being bad (or just look bad, like AA), so Joker Game stands out because it apparently tries to be interesting and novel, so tropey stuff would stand out even more there as opposed to, say, Big Order or Mayoiga.

Jintor

I'm reading this chuuni western mangoo that firehawk recommended called アイキルジャイヤンズ. It's pretty good.

it's funny because this, despite containing duckroll™ hyperbole, is actually almost 100% accurate

Line_HTX

Sharp writing, action sakuga, and a great OST for those of us in the upper levels. Waifus & accidental boob grabs for the groundlings. Something for everyone.

I've been holding off because of the IS association, but this might be my kind of garbage, lol

duckroll

It's firehawk approved at that. We all know it takes a special kind of show to tear him away from his white people tv.

Oh... but firehawk only likes Infinite Stratos, overrated Yoshida shows, and bad shows with Kobayashi in them. notsureifwant...

JulianImp

I didn't like that the first two episodes ended a bit later than they should have, and were like the poor man's cliffhanger endings.

Drill ojou got three "firsts" of her stolen by the MC in the span of two episodes, so extrapolating that means she'll lose them all in four or so more episodes.

Kiss Mana sharing Vaccination scenes are just too lewd though, but at least they don't involve underage little girls
... yet.

cj_iwakura

Robotics;Notes 17-18

It's certainly more stable slice-of-life across the board than Steins;Gate, but boy, when it gets real...

Let's hit it off everybody!
later days!

blurr

You are better off watching Kiniro Mosaic over Kancolle. Kancolle is unfocused and nearly impossible to bring to anime form. For crying out loud, even High School Fleet currently is much better at naval operations than Kancolle.

Besides, Karen desu~ is so much more amusing than Kongou desu~

I watched Kiniro Mosaic - it was boring for most of the part.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom