• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2016 |OT| Get a Season So Complicated

Status
Not open for further replies.

convo

I'm depressed too. You have no idea how depressing it is being too awesome!!! Wow!

Being awesome doesn't seem to matter to the public of OPM, which is frustrating and infuriating, getting no credit no matter what you do would make me angry and depressed. I will always await the day where the general public and hero association gets blown the fuck out but thats the absolute last thing that's going to happen in the series.

Qurupeke

the amount of incest ive seen this year in anime/manga

Is it that time of the year???
7ovD5IO.gif

I haven't noticed anything out of the ordinary tbh.

Bakugou isn't that bad really.
I mean yes he's a self absorbed asshole.

But I look at him as some sort of cracked reflection of Deku.
They both have tremendous respect for All Might and idolise the ground he walks on and want to be him.
But they both take different things from him. Bakugou want the flash, the respect and the recognition. Deku wants the ability to help anyone, to do the right thing and not be powerless when the time comes.

I feel there is merit to his character.

There's absolutely merit to his character, but I'll argue the merit of portraying him like some kind of badass 90s comic book anti-hero instead of a bullying asshole that encouraged his childhood friend to commit suicide and has grown very little in over 80 chapters.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
How did I just notice there's a show this season named after the Japanese restaurant chain in the UK, Wagamama?

phaze

So they're cutting down on the comedy?

It was 50/50 in the last episode. Hard to say what comes after but fairly heavy stuff transpired in its last half, just straight up returning to earlier comedy might not be on the cards for at leas a while.

EP3 of Stray Dogs was pretty good, i'll keep watching

damn, are the siblings really dead?
?

Dazai's light demeanor and flippant
"I don't want to carry three people on back" gave me strong impression they were alive but now that I'm rechecking the scenes,
I'm not so sure anymore.

Cerberus Episode 4 – An Expected Journey
Cg6JGX7WYAAe4-V.jpg
Cg6Jhy6W4AAOFQV.jpg

Yes a hot baths episode even with a tentacle monster. It was so good if only it had manage to give Hiiro some scenes.

Ending of the episode was good too
Tomiitte joined the party finally

Theonik

Every era has different approaches to art, but it's a fallacy to think that art makes steady progress towards higher quality over time. Can you imagine taking this approach in other arts? "Leonardo da Vinci was good... for the 15th century." No.
I don't think it's completely inaccurate, the statement might be, but art and the techniques that are used to create it have been developed over thousands of years. Would you call a cave painting bad art? Anime is quite new as a medium, and very early shows from say the 60s employ pretty primitive techniques compared to what you would find today, this reflects on the production standards of the time since Anime is also a commercial medium (which makes comparisons with purely artistic works a bit hairier)

Ultimately I think there is merit in such discussion, but I certainly don't agree with the reductive original statement. It's a huge can of worms.

It was 50/50 in the last episode. Hard to say what comes after but fairly heavy stuff transpired in its last half, just straight up returning to earlier comedy might not be on the cards for at leas a while.

The preview for episode 4 appeared comedy-free.

Dazai's light demeanor and flippant
"I don't want to carry three people on back" gave me strong impression they were alive but now that I'm rechecking the scenes,
I'm not so sure anymore.

They went to the trouble of showing both Tanizakis were still alive by having them cough/move a bit while on the ground, so they are definitely not dead.

zulux21

Every era has different approaches to art, but it's a fallacy to think that art makes steady progress towards higher quality over time. Can you imagine taking this approach in other arts? "Leonardo da Vinci was good... for the 15th century." No.

of course I wouldn't because I would just say da vinci was decent at art. Iconic sure, but his art isn't all that impressive if you look at it without any history attached to it. (note I am not saying artists from back then weren't impressive, I just have never gotten the love for da vinci's art, his inventions on the other hand are nifty)
I mean to me
feels way more impressive than

but art is so subjective anyways and I am hardly a huge art person :p

Hundred Episode 4
Cg6QxVIU8AAWgVi.jpg

Bath episode monday is nice. I still wish Emile had been male would have made this so much better. Otherwise all scenes with the other girl were predictable yet somehow funny for some dumb reason, perhaps its cause this is a boring work monday
when he entered her room to clean up while she bathed and came out etc

Fritz battle was fun though at the start.

Line_HTX

Re: Life in a Different World from Zero 01A

I like that they're using a regular length episode for one half of the actual episode as a setup to this fantasy world. LOL at how the bag of instant ramen and chips pretty much never take any sort of damage.

Cgi7e0iUUAENTJr.jpg:large

BAH GAWD, a giant Narag! Too close, EEEK!!

Ascheroth

Macross Δ #4

Hayates "Hai na" killed me.
And then the lifespan bomb dropped casually. Damn.
Next episode has potential for massive drama. I wonder how they'll handle it.

pbayne

Texhnolyze 14-18

Oh shit gearing up for a big finale.
Im liking the subtle character growth going on. Ichise and Onishi have almost a father/son dynamic and it obvious that Ichise does respect him to a degree and starts to mirror him at times. In fact probably the best character interactions in the show are between Onishi and his secretary. They barely talk to one another and never outwardly express any emotions for one another but you can tell they really care for each other through their body language and how the show frames them.

The show has became a lot more up-front about it themes of evolution and change. I think the show is predictable but for me thats a good thing. For example everything is well foreshadowed and follows a logical path that i can almost always predict what will happen 2 or 3 episodes in advance. So it means im always in time with the show and their aren't silly plot twists thrown in for the sake of it.

I guess the only question remaining is; Why does the Class want to stagnate the people of Lukuss' development? Why do they keep them confined? The Doctor and Yoshii kind of imply that the Class are relatively small-minded and themselves have grown stagnant and have perhaps reached a point that they believe evolution is no longer necessary and they've reached the peak.

...I mean to me
<Marvel artist rendering of Hugh Jackman (?)>
feels way more impressive than
<DaVinci's Mona Lisa>

but art is so subjective anyways and I am hardly a huge art person :p

There are technical leaps however between what the Marvel artist had to work with and Da Vinci as they had a wider palette of colours, more stable colours, better varnish, quite possibly that Marvel piece might be digital art which is a whole other suite of tools not available at the time, etc, etc. Besides all that some of the most beautiful art I've seen has been ancient cave paintings which lack any sense of scale, perspective or proportion but express something else just as well as a modern render.

If we're talking commercial art be it ancient roman scenes painted by a master's studio (often 90+% painted by the students or wholly by them) or a tiny box office with too many animators outside of Tokyo money determines quality as much if not more than talent. The 'average' production can certainly turn out more frames of animation a day than earlier periods because the workflow is faster thanks to better tools but that doesn't imply you're getting better animation.

At the end of the day though the bit I bolded about subjectivity is 100% true, the only measure of quality in art that should matter to an individual is whether they like it or not. Using any outside metric is pointless, especially price as that fluctuates wildly based on prevailing tastes and trends.

jediyoshi

Sölf;201831861 said:
fvrxq3G.png

Seriously, I really didn't expect this and and I don't know why it is so good.

It's still pretty comfy. If another episode goes by cleanly, I suspect the tone won't dip into anything much darker going forward.

pbayne

Oh boy, character reading/quoting classic literature to=that character must be smart. Nope it just means they can read a book and remember a line from it. Might be my most hated trope in anything ever.(see Psych-Pass)

Its up there with person is good at chess=they must be smart. Nope that just means they're good at chess.(see Code Geass)

Gargantia on the Verderous Planet 4

I really liked the scenes between Ledo and Bevel. Ledo's mindset, coming from a totalitarian society entirely organized around warfare, is challenged by coming into contact with the kind of physically weak person who his society would have disposed of as too much of a burden to support. It makes for some emotionally sincere moments as he is forced to question everything he's been raised to believe. The flashback he had,
apparently to a friend of his who was disposed of
, was particularly effective, as was the use of the flute as a connection to those "unnecessary" human emotions.

Shergal

There are technical leaps however between what the Marvel artist had to work with and Da Vinci as they had a wider palette of colours, more stable colours, better varnish, quite possibly that Marvel piece might be digital art which is a whole other suite of tools not available at the time, etc, etc. Besides all that some of the most beautiful art I've seen has been ancient cave paintings which lack any sense of scale, perspective or proportion but express something else just as well as a modern render.

If we're talking commercial art be it ancient roman scenes painted by a master's studio (often 90+% painted by the students or wholly by them) or a tiny box office with too many animators outside of Tokyo money determines quality as much if not more than talent. The 'average' production can certainly turn out more frames of animation a day than earlier periods because the workflow is faster thanks to better tools but that doesn't imply you're getting better animation.

At the end of the day though the bit I bolded about subjectivity is 100% true, the only measure of quality in art that should matter to an individual is whether they like it or not. Using any outside metric is pointless, especially price as that fluctuates wildly based on prevailing tastes and trends.

I think that very specifically, technique within the same art paradigm does tend to improve as newer artists work with better foundations laid by older masters as a baseline. Certainly something like the realistic animation of the Takashi Nakamuras or Satoru Utsunomiyas in 80s Japan was not something that Japanese animators of the 60s were capable of creating. Same thing goes for something like WB theatrical shorts of the 40s compared to the 30s in America, where a relatively small core of animators kept working on a single direction to improve upon the principles of what they considered 'ideal' animation.

This doesn't necessarily have to do with quality in a broad sense or with whether newer things are 'better' than older things. But it's normal that techniques of depiction become more elaborate over time if all other variables remain somewhat stable.

It's on daisuki, so no money down required! Joiiinnn usssss

Yes 1000 times better but I disliked Kancolle due to the fan service (little to none in Haifuri) and their use of odd mech suits rather boats

daisuke is free right? how they make money? lots of ads i guess.... they really need a media app on xbox/ps etc

NCR Redslayer

NeoGAF's Vegeta
Oh boy, character reading/quoting classic literature to=that character must be smart. Nope it just means they can read a book and remember a line from it. Might be my most hated trope in anything ever.(see Psych-Pass)

Its up there with person is good at chess=they must be smart. Nope that just means they're good at chess.(see Code Geass)
Code Geass was more believeable because he suppose to be a great strategist that can malevolently manipulate other people.

/XX/

What does 'moe' mean again?
Obliged read on this, and other 'otaku'-related matters, from the mouth of key figures of the generation that originated that 'New Wave Sci-Fi' subculture's explosive growth.

But, what about the perception of the concept on this very century? According to the words of people like Kazuya Tsurumaki seems like it became a watered-down, all-encompassing word too overused to have nowadays a clear definition:

1731298478 - 2003 Kodansha interviews: Kazuya Tsurumaki - EvaGeeks.org Forum - an Evangelion Fan Community said:
KT: [...] Insofar as [people] try to make moe because "moe sells," moe disappears. Now the meaning of moe has changed. Only the word is left, and the meaning has been hijacked. [Moe] is no longer moe.
http://forum.evageeks.org/post/494312/2003-Kodansha-interviews-Kazuya-Tsurumaki/#494312

phaze

Sankarea 05

You know, the OP&ED for this show are really misleading, if you're gonna shove tits in my face, at least have the decency to put up hints of that in your opening.

---

There was a number of good tracks up till now but the one that played during Furuya's family breakfast was just glorious. Like, loop it and play for 10 straight hours straight glorious. Gonna have to track it down after this.

daisuke is free right? how they make money? lots of ads i guess.... they really need a media app on xbox/ps etc

I have no idea how they do it but for me, in Ireland, there are no ads and the streams are perfect unlike FunimationNow.ie which hitches 2-3 times per episode for only €8 a month (not for much longer and I just need to seize every opportunity to moan about them!).

Cornbread78

Sankarea 05
You know, the OP&ED for this show are really misleading, if you're gonna shove tits in my face, at least have the decency to put up hints of that in your opening.
---
There was a number of good tracks up till now but the one that played during Furuya's family breakfast was just glorious. Like, loop it and play for 10 straight ours glorious. Gonna have to track it down after this.

Nice. I just noticed your watching this one as well. This show has such a weird tone and atmosphere to it.

Ascheroth

I have no idea how they do it but for me, in Ireland, there are no ads and the streams are perfect unlike FunimationNow.ie which hitches 2-3 times per episode for only €8 a month (not for much longer and I just need to seize every opportunity to moan about them!).

When I was watching One Punch Man there, I think it had 2 ads every episode. Both of those were always the same damn Concrete Revolutio ad. Every single week, 2 times an episode, the exact same god damn ad.

...Maybe this is the reason why I don't like ConRevo.

Exalted

Hundred Episode 4

Even more shameless episode than usually, especially the bath scenes. Was not expecting them to add an twintail idol and idol elements to this show, which of course instantly wants to marry the MC. So now it's a 3 way war between the childhood friend, who pretended to be a boy, the golden drill hair president and the pink haired idol.

I think that very specifically, technique within the same art paradigm does tend to improve as newer artists work with better foundations laid by older masters as a baseline. Certainly something like the realistic animation of the Takashi Nakamuras or Satoru Utsunomiyas in 80s Japan was not something that Japanese animators of the 60s were capable of creating. Same thing goes for something like WB theatrical shorts of the 40s compared to the 30s in America, where a relatively small core of animators kept working on a single direction to improve upon the principles of what they considered 'ideal' animation.

This doesn't necessarily have to do with quality in a broad sense or with whether newer things are 'better' than older things. But it's normal that techniques of depiction become more elaborate over time if all other variables remain somewhat stable.

This why I love discussions on art because while I agree that the techniques for making animation look more naturalistic have improved over time I'm loathe to have that imply one show is 'better' than an other on it's technical merits. I'm going to have to look up the shows of some of the animators you mentioned and if you have any other suggestions please do pass them on. As much as Disney milks the hell out of it's vault some of the extras are damn well made, I recall a good feature on Snow White that showed some early roto-scoping they'd done to get how cloth moves while dancing right.

zulux21

that marvel piece was done via colored pencil :p
it was one of many pics done to be hyper realistic using them.
it's fun watching someone make one of them on time lapse

but yeah everything you said was on point :p

T-Rex.

Banned
5 Centimeters per Second

Well, fuck. I was in a long distance relationship myself around 14 so this hits pretty close to home. I'm now wondering what she's up to nowadays. As for the movie itself, really beautiful artwork and the music in it is great. Wasn't a fan of the music video ending though.

Szadek

Hundred Episode 4

Even more shameless episode than usually, especially the bath scenes. Was not expecting them to add an twintail idol and idol elements to this show, which of course instantly wants to marry the MC. So now it's a 3 way war between the childhood friend, who pretended to be a boy, the golden drill hair president and the pink haired idol.
It's really impressive how terrible this anime is, they must be trying really hard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom