• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2016 |OT| Get a Season So Complicated

Status
Not open for further replies.

NCR Redslayer

NeoGAF's Vegeta
5 Centimeters per Second

Well, fuck. I was in a long distance relationship myself around 14 so this hits pretty close to home. I'm now wondering what she's up to nowadays. As for the movie itself, really beautiful artwork and the music in it is great. Wasn't a fan of the music video ending though.
The entire movie was just a flashback.

Qurupeke

Kyousougiga 4-8
LCGg3pc.jpg
O2IlcGa.png
DNde6Au.png
It's past the preview/ONAs' point now, and it's pretty crazy. Koto continues to be an absolutely great protagonist, her declaration of
destroying everything
was so cool. Also,
I loved how casually Koto reveals that she "forced" her way in Kyoto.
And I didn't expect such a tragic backstory for Myoue, though all the children of the family got their fair share of sad stories.

The show is great, but I think after the preview, I got pretty high expectations for the action, which weren't met so far. I guess there are two more episodes though. Still, the show was a nice surprise for its style and art, which I didn't expect before watching it. And the animation remains good.

Chindogg

Hundred Episode 4

Even more shameless episode than usually, especially the bath scenes. Was not expecting them to add an twintail idol and idol elements to this show, which of course instantly wants to marry the MC. So now it's a 3 way war between the childhood friend, who pretended to be a boy, the golden drill hair president and the pink haired idol.

You forgot to mention that the girl soldier he was sparring with has catgirl armor.

Hundred is truly a gift from the anime gods.

jediyoshi

Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress 1

pYooPJp.png

eePnc7m.png

The design of the fortress is killing me. Giant moat(?), awesome. Huge walls, great. Draw bridge, nailed it. But with all that trouble, they should have also gone out of their way to make the area where they process the train a completely separate zone outside the main walls with drawbridges at both ends as a buffer. It looks as though there's no protocol for the bridge going down other than seeing the train, so it's crazy that the idea of it completely overrun never occurred to them as still being able to move.

The train design is killing me too. Besides completely sheer walls and maybe sharpened prods jutting out, it can't be too difficult to make a moving, flat surface literally unclimbable. Instead there's a bunch of open platforms and footholds inviting them in. Not even sure what those holes serve other than to shoot out the Kabane climbing that are mostly there because the holes are there in the first place.

I'm guessing the significance is fleshed out later, but it's not really made clear the reason of needing to destroy the heart to ultimately kill the Kabane. Not sure what that accomplishes versus destroying the head, so MC making a special weapon, which just seems like a more powerful gun rather than anything uniquely tuned to the Kabane, felt flat.

The violence lacks a shocking/interesting twist to it. Whereas Titans act erratically in combat and kill in various ways for seemingly no reason (which is in and of itself disturbing), there's no ambiguity to the Kabane and the extent to which they can kill is extremely limited. They kill to propagate, and if they spot prey they go for it. The rules of having a dumb force versus a somewhat coherent force seems like it'll leave much less room for variety in how encounters play out.

phaze

I thought Annabel's ED for Sankarea was really fitting

I like it alot but it's solemn tone seems at odds with the vibe this show goes for 90% of its running time I'd say. Again, nothing in OP&ED gives you an inkling of what you''ll be subjected too.

Kyousougiga 4-8
LCGg3pc.jpg
;_____;

That goddamn scene gets me every time.

The show is great, but I think after the preview, I got pretty high expectations for the action, which weren't met so far. I guess there are two more episodes though. Still, the show was a nice surprise for its style and art, which I didn't expect before watching it. And the animation remains good.

Not even the fight against the Golden Giant Robo thingy ? I guess most of it was in 0 probably. There are some nice cuts in the last episode but it's not really much of an action show.

Qurupeke

The violence lacks a shocking/interesting twist to it. Whereas Titans act erratically in combat and kill in various ways for seemingly no reason (which is in and of itself disturbing), there's no ambiguity to the Kabane and the extent to which they can kill is extremely limited. They kill to propagate, and if they spot prey they go for it. The rules of having a dumb force versus a somewhat coherent force seems like it'll leave much less room for variety in how encounters play out.

People can hate AoT as much as they want and the titans have a pretty dumb design, but I would be kidding myself if I said that they're not really scary. They're a very interesting take to the zombie genre, and they're basically a lot more threatening than any kind of usual zombie. Plus, their goofy design makes them even eerie.

Kabanes are still pretty scary, but they're essentially like the fast zombies of pop culture.

Not even the fight against the Golden Giant Robo thingy ? I guess most of was in 0 probably. There are some nice cuts in the last episode but it's not really much of an action show.

I liked that a lot, but yes, it was in the preview.

JCG

I'm guessing the significance is fleshed out later, but it's not really made clear the reason of needing to destroy the heart to ultimately kill the Kabane. Not sure what that accomplishes versus destroying the head

I think it's relatively easy to figure out the main difference at work:

Destroying the head = incapacitates them
Destroying the heart = kills them

Under most circumstances, either option would be viable. Problem is, most people aren't good enough at melee combat to cut off the head without being bitten.

The rest is just an extrapolation of your usual stupid zombie movie logic, so I wouldn't try to scrutinize it too closely. That said, I do expect them to come up with better/stronger zombies as the story continues in order to raise their overall threat level though. Just like there are several types of titans in AoT.

Line_HTX

Big Order 02

man this show is really awful but it does have

Also since orders are just shitty stands it makes me appreciate how terrifying Stands are in JoJo. This dude can stop time and its just another ability. Are you kidding me? He can fucking stop time.

dropped again

Grabbing of the balls...

:O

Jarmel

Banned
Aren't the Kabane bodies reinforced too? Seems like it would be impossible to cut off the head in melee combat under normal circumstances.

pYooPJp.png

eePnc7m.png

The design of the fortress is killing me. Giant moat(?), awesome. Huge walls, great. Draw bridge, nailed it. But with all that trouble, they should have also gone out of their way to make the area where they process the train a completely separate zone outside the main walls with drawbridges at both ends as a buffer. It looks as though there's no protocol for the bridge going down other than seeing the train, so it's crazy that the idea of it completely overrun never occurred to them as still being able to move.

The train design is killing me too. Besides completely sheer walls and maybe sharpened prods jutting out, it can't be too difficult to make a moving, flat surface literally unclimbable. Instead there's a bunch of open platforms and footholds inviting them in. Not even sure what those holes serve other than to shoot out the Kabane climbing that are mostly there because the holes are there in the first place.

I'm guessing the significance is fleshed out later, but it's not really made clear the reason of needing to destroy the heart to ultimately kill the Kabane. Not sure what that accomplishes versus destroying the head, so MC making a special weapon, which just seems like a more powerful gun rather than anything uniquely tuned to the Kabane, felt flat.

so what your saying is........if i enjoyed AOT, try this out? :D

phaze

Kind of curious too. I've not seen any in years, aside from in hentai.

There is an overly affectionate towards his brother sisster in Bungou Stray Dogs I guess ?

Karas 01
Q. Next was Karas, which was quite maniacal and difficult to understand. Was that your intention?
This was the intention of the whole staff. I redrew the first episode’s storyboard three times, which made it easier to understand. I was told by director Keiichi Satou that, whatever it is, make it like an avant of a movie [TL: the prologue of a movie?], like people don’t know what it is yet it’s awesome. The first episode is about the phenomenon of Karas, not the story. Feeling comes first, understanding comes later.
I guess this is what a combination of Tokusatsu x Macross x Guts x Mononoke x Bad CG x Shrooms feels like. Needless too say, it was confusing and hectic as hell, though I dare say that by the end, I got a bit of grasp on what seems like a pretty standard anime story.

Sterok

Sailor Moon Crystal S3 4

Hotaru is sick and barely knows anything, yet she's already better at sharing information about their enemy than Haruka and Michiru. Atta girl. Minako is attempting to lighten this show single-handedly, but she can't do that when she has to share screen-time in her own episode with Usagi, Chibi-Usa, Hotaru, Mamoru, Haruka, and Michiru. Oh hey, Uranus and Neptune finally decided to stop acting ominous and actually do something for a change.

pbayne

Precure 33

Did the interns make this episode? Holy god some of the character designs are atrocious(shocking considering how consistent they usually are) and the script is just plain wrong, they ask where did they get the rainbow bracelets from....um you've had them for the past 5 episodes, they aren't new.

Definitely felt like a "give this episode to someone else, just to experiment and see what they can do". I don't mind that but eh tighten it up a bit. It did have some kind of cool really off-model action scenes though.

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
Man, I'm really liking ReZero. It's actively funny, kind of touching, and they're throwing curve balls like nobody's business. I was actually surprised by the cliffhanger ending on ep4, which is pretty rare. Poor Subaru.

Re: Zero's biggest issue for me is that the main gimmick of the show is actively costing character development that was made, so any progress is brought back and then he starts from zero. The show counteracts this by having the main cast he deals with being very enjoyable and some timeskips here and there, but I didn't sign up for Groundhog day the anime. If I had signed up for Groundhog Day no Desu I would have told you.

Cornbread78

Hundred ep.4
Ok, this was just a bad episode. Nothing even "so bad, it's good" to hold onto.
Maybe I'm just in a bad mood and can't deal with this type of shit, lol...

Gvitor

Ping Pong 08

おかえり ヒーロー

You goddamn mastermind, you don't get to be a dick just to get Peco to play the game again. I just want to hate you. (I'm not sure if that's how it'll play out, but it's the feeling I got.)

I also feel really bad for Wenge, but at least he has a family now in Japan.

this show so gud

Aki-at

D-Frag! - END

Man this show was great, episode 9 was still my favourite by the end of it but it was excellent through out. Wish there were a lot more episodes :(

Guess it's time to go get the manga!

Cornbread78

Cerberus ep.4
More shit. Today is all about bath episodes. They were both pretty bad, but at least we got a tentacle monster in Cerberus that grabbed the loli mage and flung her far away. Someone needs to bound and gag her annoying loli ass up, then throw her behind bars by the end of this series.

duckroll

I don't get why you won't watch your boy Michael Bay's TV show about a warship fighting off a world ending virus and blowing up submarines and Russians and whatnot.

I don't even know what show you're talking about, but unless he directs, I couldn't care less. I like him as a director, as a producer he's about as whatever as Spielberg.

From the New World 20

WKPG4uX.jpg

Poor Mamoru. No one remembers or cares about him.

Now that we've essentially gone back into action mode with the conflict between the queerrats and the humans, it kind of feels like we're back in the territory of episodes 5-7, complete with dodgy CG rocks flying around. Meh.

Hundred Ep 4

Motherfucking sister had a god damn tarot card reading for the brother that spelled out a fucking anime cliche hahahahahaha this show, you can't make this shit up. Next up she'll do another reading "nii-sama, my tarot reading says to be careful when near women and corners of neighborhoods when going to school"

The idol being thirsty was a bit forced, even more than usual for shows like these.

fertygo

Hero Academia - 04

This seem very un-impressing, compared to JoJo this just flat, I know I'm biased because I'm JoJo fans anyway but yeah its very flat, directing seem boring, felt you see this angle again repeated and stuff like that.

4 first eps of Soul Eater is much more stronger and impressing visually

NeonZ

it's because they're watching/not watching under the assumption that it is your standard shounen action series with fast pace, not to say it is justified but I'm not surprised people don't get what the point of the show is

The anime is much slower paced than the manga though. Like I said before, this pacing seems like what we'd get out of a staff that wants to make a long running series go slower to avoid filler arcs, but this is just a 13 episode season, so it's just plain odd.

From the New World 21

The opening... 15 seconds looked nice.

Yeah, that kind of bugged me too.

No one seemed too bothered by the death of
Mamoru.

Even though he probably died super hard.

He really got the bum deal. His introverted nature made him isolated even among his group of friends,
then he's targeted for being weak and has to run away, then he dies and everyone is too busy mourning Maria to remember that he was there too. Wiped off their memories worse than Shun, and they didn't even need to be conditioned for that.

Gvitor

Ping Pong 09-11 (END)

10/10

I really like the protagonist shift this series goes through around the middle mark. While fairly predictable , it was still enjoyable seeing Peco going from an enthusiastic player to a destroyed one back to one of the best. Pretty much everyone got their redemption as well, with Kong liking his teammates and then finally striving in Table Tennis, or Sakuma dropping it all to have a family, or Tsukimoto working as a teacher (in a scenario he didn't do well in his life), alongside coaching ping-pong.

Some very likeable characters and storylines, in a short package, only 11 episodes long. Great use of time.

If the ending of GoT S06E01 were to happen in your favourite anime, with your favourite girl... Fam, what would you do.

I don't care about or follow Game of Thrones, so someone just fill me in on what's being referred to here.

Ping Pong 09-11 (END)

10/10

I really like the protagonist shift this series goes through around the middle mark. While fairly predictable , it was still enjoyable seeing Peco going from a enthusiastic player to a destroyed one back to one of the best. Pretty much everyone got its redemption as well, with Kong liking his teammates and then finally striving in Table Tennis, or Sakuma dropping it all to have a family, or Tsukimoto working as a teacher (in a scenario he didn't do well in his life), alongside coaching ping-pong.

Some very likeable characters and storylines, in a short package, only 11 episodes long. Great use of time.

Yes, Ping Pong is a tightly-made, tightly-written show with very strong character drama. Yuasa did good - as did Matsumoto of course, but the time constraints Yuasa was working under make his work even more impressive.

Quasar

There is an overly affectionate towards his brother sisster in Bungou Stray Dogs I guess ?

fair enough. Though I draw a line between one sided affection, such as in Mahouka, and a physical relationship such as Oreimo, Yosuga no Sora or Koi Kaze in terms of what I consider incest.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom