• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2016 |OT| Get a Season So Complicated

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aki-at

Attractive woman that been nude a bunch takes off a spelled necklace and ages up to an old woman revealing that her previous appearance had been an illusion.

I absolutely expected this to have some level of extreme gore but this is ingenius and takes the level of mental scarring up a notch.

Cornbread78

Date a Live ep.5
022.png

Actually, this episode wasn't all that bad overall. The loli girl isn't as bad as I initially thought, but I don't want her on the harem of spirits he's collecting, lol. Oh well, looks like she is sticking around, but hopefully, they keep it clean.. Entertaining at least. White haired girl is the worst girl by far.

Wait I was reading from a couple pages ago, do people not like Bungo Stray Dogs? It's one of my favorites this season. I love the art, I like the gags, and the premise and action are both pretty good. It's not the most original show in the world, but I'm really enjoying it.

Samurai Champloo 2

The character art was all over the place this episode. The storyboarding was kind of weird too. The cutting back and forth between the different characters and simultaneous action scenes certainly wasn't as smooth here as in the opening episode. While the story of the big brute terrified of people seeing his ugly face was somewhat touching, overall this episode didn't work for me.

Attractive woman that been nude a bunch takes off a spelled necklace and ages up to an old woman revealing that her previous appearance had been an illusion.

The greatest tragedy.

Wait I was reading from a couple pages ago, do people not like Bungo Stray Dogs? It's one of my favorites this season. I love the art, I like the gags, and the premise and action are both pretty good. It's not the most original show in the world, but I'm really enjoying it.

I liked the first two episodes, but the sudden escalation of the third episode into deadly serious extreme violence was rather awkward.

ibyea

Banned
High School Fleet: 3
As much as I complain about the one note characters and interactions, the navy battle is entertaining as heck. I think today's battle with the submarine is the best one yet. I really hope the conspiracy stuff ends up having a good payoff.

duckroll

You know, I've been thinking... what do Japanese in general think of an author like Kazuo Ishiguro? Is he considered a Japanese author or a foreign author? Are his works well known in Japan? Also, where are the Murakami anime adaptations? No Penguin Drum doesn't count.

Narag

You know, I've been thinking... what do Japanese in general think of an author like Kazuo Ishiguro? Is he considered a Japanese author or a foreign author? Are his works well known in Japan? Also, where are the Murakami anime adaptations? No Penguin Drum doesn't count.

I've been going through similar issues with Nabokov for my death battle with survivor as I don't know if some of his works should be considered Russian or not and whether or not it depends where he was in his life at the time he wrote them.

Ishiguro's family moved to the UK when he was five and he's lived there ever since. All his works are written in English. I can't speak for the Japanese of course, but I think it would be difficult to consider him a Japanese author.

As far as Murakami goes, looking him up there are barely any live-action film adaptations of his works. His writing seems like it would be a difficult thing to transition into an audiovisual medium; you'd have to have an unusually talented director.

duckroll

Ishiguro's family moved to the UK when he was five and he's lived there ever since. All his works are written in English. I can't speak for the Japanese of course, but I think it would be difficult to consider him a Japanese author.

As far as Murakami goes, looking him up there are barely any live-action film adaptations of his works. His writing seems like it would be a difficult thing to transition into an audiovisual medium; you'd have to have an unusually talented director.

By the same token then, do you think that Aya Suzuki is viewed as a Japanese animator or a foreign one by the local industry? Wish we could get more insight into stuff like that.

I don't see how hard it can be to adapt Murakami stuff to animation though. Works well enough for Monogatari, and Shaft isn't a particularly talent studio anyway. :p

By the same token then, do you think that Aya Suzuki is viewed as a Japanese animator or a foreign one by the local industry? Wish we could get more insight into stuff like that.

This interview has some interesting tidbits related to that:

“But strangely,” Suzuki continues, “a lot of Japanese animation studios were hesitant to have me on board because I come from a ‘different’ industry to them. I found this quite ridiculous, because it is the same industry and it’s pretty much the same skill. You just need to adjust. Even if I’d worked for a different company in Europe after The Illusionist, I’d still have had to adjust for a different director and company. I don’t really like the mental block the Japanese seem to have; they seem to think the western industry is so different from the Japanese one. I was very lucky to meet Satoshi Kon, who was particularly open-minded.”

“I’ve done a couple of interviews in Japan,” Suzuki reflects, “and they tend to ask me: So, you’ve moved back to Japan? I always say that no, I haven’t moved back to Japan, because I never lived here properly before! I moved here for the job; it wasn’t particularly Japan I was interested in, it was Kon’s film I wanted to work on. But Japanese animation films are made quite quickly; I’ve worked on three in a row now! So I haven’t particularly “moved” to Japan; rather, I’m happy to move wherever there’s an interesting project.”

I don't see how hard it can be to adapt Murakami stuff to animation though. Works well enough for Monogatari, and Shaft isn't a particularly talent studio anyway. :p

Well...

Tatsuya Oishi does good work though.

This episode of 100 ended in a shitty anime staple of a group of never-before-mentioned bad guys looking towards the city from a high place as they all do evil cackles

"When do we begin attacking?" asks pretty boy with long spiky hair and maybe a half torn shirt

"Soon my pretties" says the goth lolita girl probably with a tiny hat and a scythe or some shit

"Trump 2016" finishes the hooded hunched figure as they all begin to smile and the camera pans out to a group shot.

duckroll

This interview has some interesting tidbits related to that:

It's interesting that the first quote suggests they look at the geographical nature of the work experience first, while the second quote implies that assumptions based on race still exist. So she's seen as a Japanese animator because of her race, regardless of the fact that she has never really lived there, but seen as one who has worked in a foreign industry. It would be fascinating to compare her experience with Michael Arias', since he is the complete opposite - an actual foreigner who worked in a completely different -and- foreign industry (VFX rather than animation) going to Japan to work in the anime industry. I wonder if he faced more barriers or less, and what sorts of perceptions he had to deal with. I would imagine there would be less hang ups and a more honest perception, but maybe more scepticism as well given his background.

Narag

This episode of 100 ended in a shitty anime staple of a group of never-before-mentioned bad guys looking towards the city from a high place as they all do evil cackles

"When do we begin attacking?" asks pretty boy with long spiky hair and maybe a half torn shirt

"Soon my pretties" says the goth lolita girl probably with a tiny hat and a scythe or some shit

"Trump 2016" finishes the hooded hunched figure as they all begin to smile and the camera pans out to a group shot.

They mentioned them towards the beginning of the episode! They just left out the really important part where Savages may not only be giant behemoths that lacked any semblance of sentience. lol

Hamst3r

Casshern Sins - Ended up feeling like about 8 episodes of content stretched out over 24 episodes. I liked it, but I felt it had too much stuff that was detrimental to the tone of the show. There was way more goofing around than I was expecting. Way too much Ringo. Way too much A Path (the pop song). Way too much repetition, which is a thing that has made so many shows worse for me. (Like every time they called Kenshin Battousai the Manslayer, yeeeesh.) I get it, you're going to devour Casshern and he killed
The Sun named Moon
, please write more lines. I dunno, it just didn't go far enough with its darker themes to be truly compelling to me and the aforementioned irritants didn't help.

Oh my god I'll lose my shit if Hayato beats the evil out of the space monsters and they harem up.
Hundred has delivered in every front. Don't you even doubt that it will have the evil girl fall in love with him out of respect for his power. Maybe even switch sides because she wants the D.

But I'll keep expectations low and just assume she'll be like a psycho flirt who will say shit like "I can't wait to try you out in a battle, you look absolutely delicious".

Casshern Sins - Ended up feeling like about 8 episodes of content stretched out over 24 episodes. I liked it, but I felt it had too much stuff that was detrimental to the tone of the show. There was way more goofing around than I was expecting. Way too much Ringo. Way too much A Path (the pop song). Way too much repetition, which is a thing that has made so many shows worse for me. (Like every time they called Kenshin Battousai the Manslayer, yeeeesh.) I get it, you're going to devour Casshern and he killed
The Sun named Moon
, please write more lines. I dunno, it just didn't go far enough with its darker themes to be truly compelling to me and the aforementioned irritants didn't help.

Casshern Sins has some of the worst-written dialogue in any anime I've seen. I'm not talking so much about the plot or characters or anything like that here, but the prose itself is just bad.

Poor Asterisk War.

Completely ignored now that there's a better bad anime on the block.

At least Asterisk War brings to the table some good Rasmus Faber music and some neat animation when the post-processing isn't getting in the way.

Asterisk war is what happens after a hack LN writer wants to write something after he watches Star Wars

Hundred is what happens when a hack LN writer goes to the Sistine chapel, falls on his knees with tears in his eyes and is moved by God's brilliance to the point of inspiration.

Dresden

I've been going through similar issues with Nabokov for my death battle with survivor as I don't know if some of his works should be considered Russian or not and whether or not it depends where he was in his life at the time he wrote them.

American.

INTERVIEWER

Do you consider yourself an American?

NABOKOV

Yes, I do. I am as American as April in Arizona. The flora, the fauna, the air of the western states, are my links with Asiatic and Arctic Russia. Of course, I owe too much to the Russian language and landscape to be emotionally involved in, say, American regional literature, or Indian dances, or pumpkin pie on a spiritual plane; but I do feel a suffusion of warm, lighthearted pride when I show my green USA passport at European frontiers. Crude criticism of American affairs offends and distresses me. In home politics I am strongly antisegregationist. In foreign policy, I am definitely on the government’s side. And when in doubt, I always follow the simple method of choosing that line of conduct which may be the most displeasing to the Reds and the Russells.

American!

Kimi Ni Todoke END

This show definitely had it's cute moments, and a few frustrating ones with it's kind of contrived drama, I really liked it overally but hooooooooly shit the pacing was horrid at times. Like, both seasons probably could have been done in 24 episodes if they went at a reasonable pace instead of this. I see that the manga is still going on so I'll definitely check it out at some point, probably not any time soon though unlike My Little Monster which had me buying the first few volumes right away lol.

duckroll

Joker Game - Episode 3

My problem with the story here is that there are a bunch of twists that amount to fucking nothing in the end. A twist is only as interesting as how it relates to the circumstances of the narrative. Here the narrative's only purpose was to showcase the ability of a well trained spy to operate with amnesia. It never even attempts to be more than that, and hence the supporting cast and the circumstances regarding the characters never feel like they matter. The execution wasn't particularly bad, but the scenario presented here is unambitious and uninteresting.

What I do like about the intent here is that it is true to the theme of the show itself - which is that to a spy everything is a game where they are playing everyone else. It just needs more stakes and proper tension to be actually engaging. Hopefully the other stories are better.

It's interesting that the first quote suggests they look at the geographical nature of the work experience first, while the second quote implies that assumptions based on race still exist. So she's seen as a Japanese animator because of her race, regardless of the fact that she has never really lived there, but seen as one who has worked in a foreign industry. It would be fascinating to compare her experience with Michael Arias', since he is the complete opposite - an actual foreigner who worked in a completely different -and- foreign industry (VFX rather than animation) going to Japan to work in the anime industry. I wonder if he faced more barriers or less, and what sorts of perceptions he had to deal with. I would imagine there would be less hang ups and a more honest perception, but maybe more scepticism as well given his background.

Aren't there more than a few foreigners working in the production side of the industry now, though I guess pretty much none have prominent roles?

Asterisk war is what happens after a hack LN writer wants to write something after he watches Star Wars

Hundred is what happens when a hack LN writer goes to the Sistine chapel, falls on his knees with tears in his eyes and is moved by God's brilliance to the point of inspiration.

...Guys, I'm worried about Woofington.

Gundam SEED 50 (End)

10/10, it was alright. The opening arcs where it was a retread over 0079 were a bit of a drag, but I would say everything picked up after Orb. Despite all the memes, Kira was not nearly as bad as I was expecting, although Mu, Rau, Athrun, and Cagalli were still my favorites. Worst were easily those three random crazy Earth Gundam pilots.

Better than expected, overall pretty average. Oh, and, not that they're really comparable or anything, but Fafner was definitely the better Hirai show. Was sort of looking forward to starting Destiny, but Delta got me interested in Macross so SDF next.

Curious, is anyone else really tired of how many animes now use German names for everything?

Sort of yes, but I can't really say that because Fafner is nothing but German and Norse mythology names.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom