• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2016 |OT| Get a Season So Complicated

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sort of yes, but I can't really say that because Fafner is nothing but German and Norse mythology names.

Well it comes up because I just watched the newest episode of Hundred and it's like... c'mon, there's no actual reason to have these drawn out German names. Same with Asterisk. They even named an island in Hundred "Zwei" the fucking German word for "two". No other reason that just to be German. Sorry it's just... kind of becoming a trope in some of these. I can understand if it's part of mythology and so on, but just having it because seems that it's becoming much more popular as of late to just do it because.

DiGiKerot

bitte sprechen sie langsammer

Idolm@ster CG 09

Fun episode, Anzu-chan was adorable, I like her "lazy otaku" personality.

I don't know how they come up with names for idol groups and songs like "New Generations", "Candy Island", "Memories", "Happy Happy Days" - they seem fitting and cringe-y at the same time.

As far as the unit names go, I'm pretty sure they just took the individual letters from CINDERELLA and tried to ensure that they were all used up between the lot (NewGen only counts as N, though, whilst Candy Island counts as both C and I... They didn't try that hard!)

Date a Live ep.5
022.png

Actually, this episode wasn't all that bad overall. The loli girl isn't as bad as I initially thought, but I don't want her on the harem of spirits he's collecting, lol. Oh well, looks like she is sticking around, but hopefully, they keep it clean.. Entertaining at least. White haired girl is the worst girl by far.

if my memory serves me right, bunnygirl shows up regularly enough but I don't remember any ecchi scenes with her. or romance, for that matter.

Speaking of romance, can someone get me some anime with actual romantic kissing in it. Funny enough one of the few romantic scenes I can actually think of in mainstream anime is gotdang Sword Art Online

Viridian6

Anne Happy 02-03
Sansha Sanyou 01-03

Sansha Sanyou has turned out to be the more entertaining show. The Anne Happy girls are kinda one-note.

Bakuon worth watching?

blurr

As far as the unit names go, I'm pretty sure they just took the individual letters from CINDERELLA and tried to ensure that they were all used up between the lot (NewGen only counts as N, though, whilst Candy Island counts as both C and I... They didn't try that hard!)

oh, didn't know or didn't realize that

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.

I heard that theory, but since there are exceptions to that rule like you've mentioned I'm taking that idea with a pinch of salt.

Bakuon 03

Jesus endorsing motorcycling, a hotsprings scene and more backstory about Rin's horribly irresponsible father. I love this show. Also, I'd accept a girl with a Suzuki logo branded on her ass.

Macross Delta 04

I like this show a whole lot more when they're fighting.

Thoraxes

Macross Delta - 04

This is the best. Just so much fun every episode. Watching Mikumo be a badass leader is great too. The stuff about the Windmerian biology was kinda crazy though. Also kickass music. Can't wait to pick up the new single.

W

phaze

Wait I was reading from a couple pages ago, do people not like Bungo Stray Dogs? It's one of my favorites this season. I love the art, I like the gags, and the premise and action are both pretty good. It's not the most original show in the world, but I'm really enjoying it.

It's one of my highlights too but it doesn't seem to have garnered much of a following and people who liked the humor were turned off by the dark turn in ep 3.

Karas 02-03
So I wasn't halucinating it in the first episode, the MC of this series really turns into a plane or a batmobile as he wills it. lol

A much more coherent and calm follow up to the fever dream that was the premiere but without that, this seems to be just yet another run of the mill urban fantasy with the youkai world hidden from sight of the normal world, super powered demon-robots bad guys on the loose and a Power Ranger in pursuit.

Quasar

Bakuon 03

Jesus endorsing motorcycling, a hotsprings scene and more backstory about Rin's horribly irresponsible father. I love this show. Also, I'd accept a girl with a Suzuki logo branded on her ass.

The ducati stuff amused me despite not being a bike geek.

Thoraxes

Netoge - 01-03

Never before have I experienced so much wahjah from an anime, to the point where I start laughing from the unease.

But I can't look away. Nekohime and Pig da best.

jgminto

Sakamoto desu ga? 1-2
Yep, that's Sakamoto alright. I'm not sure if the adaptation is adding much outside of the charming soundtrack but the source material is enjoyable enough (and enough time has passed since I originally read these chapters) that returning to it is still entertaining.

Listless Tanaka 3

...actually, I think he's less listless and more just straight up narcoleptic

this is a good show

It is, shame more people aren't watching it.

phaze

Tanaka and Ohta are the emotional rock that anchors the show. Their relationship is so much fun too.
I'll allow myself to disagree. 90% of their interactions are centered on Tanaka's various showings of listlessness that were never particularly funny or interesting and got obnoxious long time ago.

Karas 04-06 END

So, Karas is an six episode long set of 30 minute long OAVs directed by Keiichi Satou, known by his masterpiece that is Saint Seiya: Legend of Sanctuary
and lesser works like Rage of Bahamut or Asura.
It also has its first episode storyboarded and directed by Kenji Nakamura of Mononoke/Trapeze/Tsuritama/Gatchaman fame. Which was about the one thing I knew about it going in and in retrospect, about the only thing of worth here I guess.

The story follows Otoha, the titular Karas (or Raven as my non-existent Nipponfu tells me) who clads your typical Tokusatsu armor (think Garo) and goes out to fight the baddies. Sounds bad ? Right you're ! I will give it that it finishes all its plot lines pretty neatly but other than that, I was severely underwhelmed with the story plot. Cliched plot, awful and straight up laughable characters, cringeworthy dialogue in spots, it's all there. The one thing that surprised me a bit was how gory and edgy it was. Like, there's a whole lot of it and
basically an entire population of a city gets murdered by CG hentai tentacles.
Speaking of CG, I'm no expert but it struck me as pretty bad and dated. And as 95 % of fights scenes is done at least partly with that, it's not a series with particularly alluring action. (Though stil, there are some great 2d cuts, I'll give it that.)Generally speaking, I'd not recommend this show to anyone and regret most of the time I spend with it.

Cornbread78

if my memory serves me right, bunnygirl shows up regularly enough but I don't remember any ecchi scenes with her. or romance, for that matter.

Speaking of romance, can someone get me some anime with actual romantic kissing in it. Funny enough one of the few romantic scenes I can actually think of in mainstream anime is gotdang Sword Art Online

This makes me happy to hear.

Now, on the kissing part? Damn, I'm going to have to think about that.... I can only think of all those stupid harem anime where the MC h as to kiss the girls for a power up, lol.

Jintor

tanaka and ohta by themselves being listless is boring. but throw the two of them togheter in interactions with other characters and everything gets good

JulianImp

Hundred #4
Guess the name must stand for the amount of overdone tropes we get per episode.

Eureka Seven #41
Finally got back to this, and it sure helped me forget Hundred for the most part. I like that it has mechas but keeps most characters, events and plot threads tightly wrapped around the main theme of Renton growing up. This kind of cohesiveness is one of the things I like in fiction, and I guess I'll go back to watching more of this on the days nothing worthwhile airs on CR.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I don't even know what show you're talking about, but unless he directs, I couldn't care less. I like him as a director, as a producer he's about as whatever as Spielberg.
It has Zimmerisms and Bayisms though. Might as well have a transforming Navy Robot Ship.

Tanaka-kun - 03

I was a bit annoyed by the trivial underlying issue of the cookie fuss, but it made up for it by generating some good and funny moments. The moe/ice queen part especially got me.
Echizen visually drew my mind to Dagashi Kashi's Saya, being my biggest and recent exposure to piercings+fang combo, only now the crack druggie eyes being replaced with semi neko ones. Not entirely sold on her character yet, I find her 'delinquent-esque' with a love for cute elements a bit hard to digest in this scenario, even though it connects her with Miyano. Probably would've preferred the 'delinquent' one alone.

Miyano's 'love declaration' had some cool abstract visuals, I hope there'll be more of those. I also really dig her voice work, at first I thought I'd get tired of it quick, luckily that hasn't been the case so far.

Is there a good Nichijou blu-ray?

With English subs, I'm assuming? Madman released it in Australia.

I think that these kind of scene work because Tanaka is around. It's easy to get tired of this if it's done too much.
Oh and can I say that the show also have some very very good use of silence? Like it's really good.

Shinya Kawamo is a director who knows how to use silence, aurally and visually, for maximum effect. You saw it in Non Non Biyori and you see it again here.

Russ T

Banned
With English subs, I'm assuming? Madman released it in Australia.

Yeah English subs.

I don't know regions and junk; if I buy that will it work fine on my US PS4, for example? Is that even a thing anymore, or does everything just work everywhere now? Is it a good quality blu-ray in general?

Yeah English subs.

I don't know regions and junk; if I buy that will it work fine on my US PS4, for example? Is that even a thing anymore, or does everything just work everywhere now? Is it a good quality blu-ray in general?

It will not work in your US PS4. Australia is Bluray Region B, along with Europe, while the US (and Japan) are Region A. I know there are ways to make a region-free BD player, but I haven't investigated those at all.

Russ T

Banned
It will not work in your US PS4. Australia is Bluray Region B, along with Europe, while the US (and Japan) are Region A. I know there are ways to make a region-free BD player, but I haven't investigated those at all.

Bummer. ): Well, thanks for the info.

I wish it was streaming somewhere. I was thinking about buying it 'cause I kinda want to watch it again. Blah.

tuffy

I don't think Madman's release is even a Blu Ray. According to their website, it looks like the only release was a sub-only R4 DVD.

Russ T

Banned
And I just found out CR used to have it but lost it at some point. I think I knew this but had forgotten.

ARGH.

Japan why do you make this so hard for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom