• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2016 |OT| Get a Season So Complicated

Status
Not open for further replies.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
HQ girls got some TCG love.
needs Lev sister
Cg9TrP5WMAAAAwb.jpg:large
Always on the sidelines...

blurr

Would you recommend watching Madoka movie 3 to someone who loves the TV show? I heard so many things about it but not sure if I should watch, I thought the TV show's ending was great as it is.

JulianImp

Would you recommend watching Madoka movie 3 to someone who loves the TV show? I heard so many things about it but not sure if I should watch, I thought the TV show's ending was great as it is.

I liked it, since it does expand on a couple things while having fun with (or at the expense of) its audience at the same time.

Don't do it. Trust me on this.

If you think the TV show's ending is great as it is, don't watch the movie.

I don't hate a lot of shows but Madoka Rebellion honestly makes me angry.

Wow, I guess I'll take your word on that.

TV show's ending is one of my personal favorites of all time.

Don't fall for it, it's pretty decisive but that's exactly the reason you should check it out.

All things considered, the first half of the movie is solid, I coudn't care for the rest but then again I also didn't really care for the original ending.

I would. It's no better or worse than the TV show and nothing bad will happen if you don't like it.

Wow, I guess I'll take your word on that.

TV show's ending is one of my personal favorites of all time.

yeah but don't you want to experience the delicious despair of seeing that get fucked up in a beautiful way

for something divisive you should probably check it out yourself. Nintendoman severely hates the movie enough where he wont even give it props for being visually interesting/well directed/having awesome transformation scenes

yeah but don't you want to experience the delicious despair of seeing that get fucked up in a beautiful way

for something divisive you should probably check it out yourself. Nintendoman severely hates the movie enough where he wont even give it props for being visually interesting/well directed/having awesome transformation scenes

Oh sure, that's stuff is good. But that's a given, considering it's SHAFT.

But you what it doesn't have? Good writing.

Let me break it down for you on one of the main reasons on why Rebellion is terrible.

So, Kyubey in the TV series is basically Satan. He's manipulative. Tempting. Discrete about what is true intentions are. He tells girls they can be happy if they just make a contract. And the girls fall for it.

That's where the despair of the Madoka series comes from. The girls fall into Kyubey's trap, and their wishes backfire on them due to reality being a bitch like that. All the despair the girls feel is entirely on them for listening to Kyubey in their dark hours. Kyubey doesn't lie, he just omits and hides the truth. He talks, but doesn't act outside of granting wishes.

And what does Kyubey do in Rebellion? The big reveal in the middle of the movie is that he kidnapped Homura, locked her mind in her soul gem for the sole purpose of having Madoka get trapped in there with her, so he can capture Madoka and make magical girls witches again.

He literally makes an effort to physically undo Madoka's wish. That's not how TV series Kyubey acted at all. It's literally him being an author's pet to bend the narrative to however he wished it.

They turned this creative, sneaky, genuinely creepy villain into nothing more than a generic anime villain. And for what? So we can have a "fuck you" ending that completely undermines everything that was said in the TV series? And I'm supposed to say that this shit is acceptable? No, just no.

Madoka Rebellion is the one movie that just gets worse and worse the more I think about it.

pbayne

Don't fall for it, it's pretty decisive but that's exactly the reason you should check it out.

All things considered, the first half of the movie is solid, I coudn't care for the rest but then again I also didn't really care for the original ending.

But the first half is almost completely pointless to the plot and fan-servicey as all hell. There's cool stuff in it sure but ultimately you could cut it and lose nothing of value.

I think the movie is worth it to see the second half though and see what side of the hate/love divide you fall on.

But the first half is almost completely pointless to the plot and fan-servicey as all hell. There's cool stuff in it sure but ultimately you could cut it and lose nothing of value.

Yeah and that's why it's just "solid". At any rate I enjoyed myself when I watched that part so I don't really care that it's pointless to the plot of the movie, it was fun. (those transformations yo)

firehawk12

Subete no aware
The movie was the best thing of 2014. I stand by what I said then - the third movie is what Anno wishes he could do with Rebuild of Evangelion.

Oh sure, that's stuff is good. But that's a given, considering it's SHAFT.

But you what it doesn't have? Good writing.

Let me break it down for you on one of the main reasons on why Rebellion is terrible.

So, Kyubey in the TV series is basically Satan. He's manipulative. Tempting. Discrete about what is true intentions are. He tells girls they can be happy if they just make a contract. And the girls fall for it.

That's where the despair of the Madoka series comes from. The girls fall into Kyubey's trap, and their wishes backfire on them due to reality being a bitch like that. All the despair the girls feel is entirely on them for listening to Kyubey in their dark hours. Kyubey doesn't lie, he just omits and hides the truth. He talks, but doesn't act outside of granting wishes.

And what does Kyubey do in Rebellion? The big reveal in the middle of the movie is that he kidnapped Homura, locked her mind in her soul gem for the sole purpose of having Madoka get trapped in there with her, so he can capture Madoka and make magical girls witches again.

He literally makes an effort to physically undo Madoka's wish. That's not how TV series Kyubey acted at all. It's literally him being an author's pet to bend the narrative to however he wished it.

They turned this creative, sneaky, genuinely creepy villain into nothing more than a generic anime villain. And for what? So we can have a "fuck you" ending that completely undermines everything that was said in the TV series? And I'm supposed to say that this shit is acceptable? No, just no.

Madoka Rebellion is the one movie that just gets worse and worse the more I think about it.

You didn't watch the last episode of the Madoka series.

Gargantia on the Verderous Planet 5

In which Ledo finds that the skill set of a soldier is not in much demand in a peacetime society.

Otherwise, a mostly frivolous fanservice episode. The very ending gag was good though.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
Homura did nothing wrong.
I find it to be fitting end, all thing considered.

Flying witch 3

Feel good anime for this season. I like the rural setting and how magic is only a small part of their everyday life. Will keeps watching till the end.

Bakuon 4

Jesus endorsing Suzuki motor bike and giving holy grail to Hane, Suzuki branded ass, Siberia war veteran, and onsen episode. This series sure is 'unique'

hearthstone isnt working so its time for

Mobile Suit Gundam Wing 01

lmfao what is this. Heero is such a hilarious asshole that I had to pause to stop laughing multiple times. Just this sequence of events -

- Girl finds soldier washed up on beach and calls an ambulance
- Soldier tries to kill himself then punches out the medical team and steals the ambulance
- The next day the soldier shows up as the new student in class and sits next to the girl
- Girl invites him to her Birthday party and he rips up the invitation
- Girl starts to cry and the soldier wipes her tears away
- Guy then whispers "I'll kill you" and walks off

WHAT

Also I didn't know Koyasu was doing VA work this early.

phaze

@Rebellion.

If you stop at precisely 105th minute, Rebellion is a great movie and a worthy if a little bit specious addition to the TV series. But if you really like the og ending than I don't see you enjoying what comes after 105th minute mark in the least.

It's the sequel fans deserve.

Savage.

lmfao what is this. Heero is such a hilarious asshole that I had to pause to stop laughing multiple times. Just this sequence of events -

- Soldier tries to kill himself then punches out the medical team and steals the ambulance
- The next day the soldier shows up as the new student in class and sits next to the girl

WHAT

RIP in the Rippest of RIPS.

WHAT

Not watching the dub? But now you're gonna miss out on General Septum's voice!

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I guess I would be banned if I said something like "If you don't like Rebellion, you clearly just don't get it."

of course it's true. :p

pbayne

Texhnolyze End

bqutbur.png

Not the show i expected it to be. All i knew of it is that it tends to get grouped with shows like Lain. So i expected it to be very abstract and theme-driven when it actually turned out to be a very focused character driven show.

Just some thoughts...

-Almost perfectly written imo- I think the script, dialogue and direction of this show is so tight. There are so few wasted moments or pointless lines of dialogue. No needless exposition or backstory. Everything is in service of the plot and the characters. I really tip my hat to it and this may just be me, but this is kind of my ideal form of presenting any entertainment. No filler, no extraneous elements(bar some at the end). For example there is a lot of well staged but gruesome action but it never feels gratuitous or unnecessary. Everything that happens is logical and foreshadowed, follows a predictable path(im not joking when i say you can always predict what will happen 2-3 episodes in advance) from start to end and dosen't fuck around for the sake of it.

-Strong setting-In its own right the city of Lukuss is the main character of the show. The way its depicted is interesting in that its deliberately made to seem confusing. Like you'll comprehend its geography or layout, its just a maze of samey narrow streets. It functions as a labyrinth that traps the characters but at the same time, spoilery territory, there is a lot more to it than meets the eye. It reminds me a bit of the setting of Wells The Time Machine, that kind of setting of dystopian evolutionary nightmare.

-Characters-Every character is fascinating in their way and you learn more from what they do rather than what they say. The show rewards you for paying attention to how exactly characters interact with one another. Id take too long to go into them all but id say the main cast dosen't have a dud character, they are all compelling in their own way. Special mention to Onishi and his secretary for having one of the best non-verbal relationships ive seen.

-Themes-For me this probably the weakest aspect of the show. One. because the show quite bluntly tells you what its themes are towards the end. Considering how reserved the dialogue usually is, I really didn't like that. Two, more importantly its themes aren't that innovative or thought provoking. They're there and you can realize which character embodies each theme but it dosen't add much imo. Their ideas on evolution and change come across a little half-baked and maybe that's a sacrifice to focus on the character more.

So yeah i know the show is pretty well known already but id highly recommend it.

WHAT

Heero is only above Kira for the worst Gundam protagonists of all time.

phaze

Texhnolyze End

Time for Shigurui !

Gundam Thunderbolt 04

The depiction of conflict might have been bereft of much subtlety but I'd still say, that out of those 4 paltry Gundams I've seen, this is the one with the most harrowing depiction of war. Bad show with great action. But mercifully short. I guess that makes it 2nd best Gundam ever.I've seen.

Amagami SS 13-16

fsexuxzk8stz.gif

Maybe the most bizzare arc yet, one that switches between usual duds, passable material, weird ass maximum overdrama over swimming results and a one of the most baffling segments ever involving getting transformed into a bowl of ramen. (And almost getting eaten by your soon to be boyfriend.)

WHAT

Best Gundam easily.

Im sad as one of the best fics from 2004 about Wing finally ended yesterday, it was so good.

I hope you like Duo!

Joker Game 04

Oh boy, this reveal scene was a gift that kept on giving, top comedy.

Like, Erased tier shit going down here.

-----

Edit: I appreciate the different approaches the show takes to tell a story, jumping from an episode that was purely from a spy's POV to one that wasn't keeps things fresh.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Only on DVD. Think it's only on BD in Japan, but without English subtitles.
The big tragedy is that Bandai licensed it, until they decided to give up on releasing anime altogether.

It's sad that even Sentai, who releases anything, didn't even bother with the license rescue.

Madoka Rebellion was only a bad movie to people who like Homura too much!

Madoka was useless, Mami was a savage and the best as per usual, Sayaka was actually an interesting character for once.

Kyoko who?

rebellion also had the keiki song so whoever was saying the first half was boring is flat out WRONG

What if I think Madoka is just pretty good, without being all that invested in it. Should I watch the movie?

100%. That was where I was at and I liked it more then the main series.

For all the people who like Madoka Rebellion because it has
an ending that's a big "fuck you" to the fans
and that's something that's worth laughing at and saying is good, I'm just going to wait for FLCL seasons 2 and 3 to come out.

Then we'll see who's laughing.

and that's something that's worth laughing at and saying is good, I'm just going to wait for FLCL seasons 2 and 3 to come out.

When it comes to being a cynical cash in Rebellion is a good one of those. I have pretty much zero expectation or desire for any form of more FLCL. FLCL is also a way, way better series then Madoka. Of course more Madoka will be made, its a franchise. FLCL never felt like a franchise, it was lightning in a bottle that can't be recreated.

firehawk12

Subete no aware

I love the TV show and the movie. I think they are perfect compliments to each other and that the movie took the franchise to the next level.

It's literally the opposite of what is happening with the Rebuild of Evangelion movies, where you know that last movie will be utter shit.

pbayne

Time for Shigurui !

Lol all i know of it is that its like super-ultra mega death show gorefest.

rebellion also had the keiki song so whoever was saying the first half was boring is flat out WRONG

Not boring just uninteresting. I get that the first half deliberately tries to confuse and destabilize viewers but you can achieve that in 5 minutes, Rebellion drags it out for 50 minutes. So you just alienate viewers for far too long making the first half an incomprehensible mess of scenes that you have no context for.

Id contend that Homura vs Mami is the best visual spectacle in the series but its the worst overall fight because there's fuck all emotional context or connection or storytelling through the fight. Its just a bunch of random cool stuff, like a music video. It reeks of some corporate asshole chipping in "Well we need to have a crowd pleasing action scene or people will get bored".

Sayaka vs Kyoko in the original series is 100 times the fight because it actually has meaning and depth that propels the story and characters.

Sterok

Rebellion just gets better the more I think about it, and Madoka Magica was my favorite anime before that. It's a required watch.

Joker Game 4

Yup, that was a mystery plot. The main answer was easy to predict, though the spy himself was kind of clever I thought.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom