• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2016 |OT| Get a Season So Complicated

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aki-at

When you see people recommending movies or books you don't see people going "Bad Boys 2 presents Hispanics in a negative light, has a lot of brutal violence and reinforces minority stereotypes! But it is a pretty good movie otherwise!"

This is something I regularly do when I know my friends or family might need some warnings beforehand.

"Jessica Jones is great just make sure you watch out for those sex scenes!"

Cornbread78

My friend calls me a bear.

I still don't get the joke.

Maybe DTL can help decode that for you.

Just be glad they aren't calling you a grizzly bear, lol. Well, maybe you won't mind, but whatever, that's up to you and your personal preference.

Onigiri - 04

While I've yet to grasp what this comedy short actually is about, the segment with the narrator and monster messing up the russian(?) name was gold.
Surprised to see the Reaction Guys in it too, been a while since I saw that.

blurr

Only that the offensive stuff has suddenly that "you are to blame for everything wrong in the industry if you don't call it out" stick.

Which is childish at best.

I'm just saying I think it is good practice. Whether or not you do it is up to you.

Personally, I have not encountered a person calling me out on that yet but it really depends on how I put it which is something I should be conscious of. Good things require effort.

TUSR

Banned
I do not want to post in a thread where people talk about bears giving underaged girls oral sex.

So thats what they implied?

o7z2Yxg.gif

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
You need to send pics to twobear to confirm your bear status, TUSR.

Russ T

Banned
When you see people recommending movies or books you don't see people going "Bad Boys 2 presents Hispanics in a negative light, has a lot of brutal violence and reinforces minority stereotypes! But it is a pretty good movie otherwise!"

Actually, that's a thing that happens all the time.

Twin Star Exorcist 4[/B

Another episode where the anime only mascot character never physically showed up and seemingly just had one or two random lines thrown in off screen to continue to meet the quota of "yes we have a mascot". It's amazing how his lines are almost always completely inconsequential and ignored by the entire cast.

Is there another manga -> anime adaptation that makes it's anime original character so borderline useless and irrelevant? I'm not just talking about series with filler arcs where outside of the filler the character is irrelevant I mean someone added to be part of the "main cast" who despite allegedly always being around is rarely if ever seen.

Crocodile

Actually, that's a thing that happens all the time.

Its' been years and I'm STILL PISSED at Transformers 2. We definitely call out American media when it oversteps boundaries.

I will say though that I do think that either due to tribalism, ignorance or whatever, anime seems to get more heat when it makes the same sorts of transgressions that Western media sometimes make. Sometimes even relatively benign stuff gets labeled with the "creepy" label. Or how "moe" has kind of become a catch-all for "thing I don't like". That is annoying and does suck. Though to be fair, I think a lot of the critique rests in the difference in cultural values - i.e. over stuff Japan is less queasy about but is a plain no-go in the West (stuff like lolis). I can't blame anyone for shitting on that because I shit on stuff like that too. I just wish people would stop making sweeping generalizations. It makes Anime topics in OT sometimes a pain to read.

*based upon the conversation a few pages back as I was looking for others thoughts on TSE4*

Anime fans as a collective are pretty terrible so I have no desire to act like an ambassador for the medium since for the most part the negative stereotypes people have about anime and anime fans are fairly accurate. If someone asks why I like anime I'll tell them, if someone asks for recommendations I'll try and figure out what their experience with anime is and recommend them something roughly in that ball park or one of the all time classics.

ibyea

Banned
Unfortunately anime has gotten too many baggage attached in a lot of people's mind. Not entirely unjustified but it does make people too close minded. I already have a hard enough time getting people to consider certain things for anime. And not that I care what others think of what I enjoy but sometimes I want to share what I want to enjoy and make people see why I enjoy it because I like anime and it's natural for a person to want to share what they like. So basically my point of view is that at least when interacting with people who are not into anime, I think Jexhius's advice is sound.

Crocodile

*based upon the conversation a few pages back as I was looking for others thoughts on TSE4*

Anime fans as a collective are pretty terrible so I have no desire to act like an ambassador for the medium since for the most part the negative stereotypes people have about anime and anime fans are fairly accurate. If someone asks why I like anime I'll tell them, if someone asks for recommendations I'll try and figure out what their experience with anime is and recommend them something roughly in that ball park or one of the all time classics.

*Flashbacks of MomoCon 2015 Toonami Panel*

phaze

Bungou Stray Dogs 04
01595105zue.jpg
015956eezn4.jpg
015964dqxjd.jpg
015966tgbp3.jpg
Fujobait, they said ...

Continues to be one of my highlights. I thought we were sliding even further into your typical shounen'esque escalation
so the resolution to the attack on the agency caught me completely off the guard, especially given how seriously the show seemed treat it beforehand.
The comedy is still on point, (the opening scenes are some of favourites up till now) and while I've no delusions about where this show will likely go, if the execution will remain as good as it is now, I'll remain a faithful believer.

Time to add this to the list.

The reports of S&M have been greatly exxagerated I dare say.

Amagami SS 22-24

I feel like the mental scarring from watching 10 episodes of this in 48 hours is makng me drop the standards a bit but this was a pretty decent arc for this show. Genuinely funny in some spots with Tsukasa's sudden behavioural changes.Second best after the Kaoru one.

Oh boy, what happened there?

"Already guys it's time for a Q&A ask us anything you want except if we're going to air a show"

*85% of questions are 'can you air _____*

Other winner questions included things like "why did you cancel Bleach" and stuff they'd already talked about earlier at the panel like "why don't you air subbed anime"

Crocodile

"Already guys it's time for a Q&A ask us anything you want except if we're going to air a show"

Other winner questions included things like "why did you cancel Bleach" and stuff they'd already talked about earlier at the panel like "why don't you air subbed anime"

Let's not forget that time when one of the people in the audience tried to hit on Dana (she works at Adult Swim, voices Sara on Toonami and was on the panel for those reading this who don't know) in the middle of the Q&A. SMFH.

Sounds like a Toonami thread in panel form.

Shush you (unless you mean on other forums and not NeoGaf than ok)

Russ T

Banned
Its' been years and I'm STILL PISSED at Transformers 2. We definitely call out American media when it oversteps boundaries.

I will say though that I do think that either due to tribalism, ignorance or whatever, anime seems to get more heat when it makes the same sorts of transgressions that Western media sometimes make. Sometimes even relatively benign stuff gets labeled with the "creepy" label. Or how "moe" has kind of become a catch-all for "thing I don't like". That is annoying and does suck. Though to be fair, I think a lot of the critique rests in the difference in cultural values - i.e. over stuff Japan is less queasy about but is a plain no-go in the West (stuff like lolis). I can't blame anyone for shitting on that because I shit on stuff like that too. I just wish people would stop making sweeping generalizations. It makes Anime topics in OT sometimes a pain to read.

I 100% agree. And I think that was also the crux of Jexhius' big post (despite my slight tangent into the frustrated side of town). The more accepting we are of this shit, the more people on the outside are going to continue to look in with disgust.

I think anime has a largely unfair reputation. Not COMPLETELY unfair - some of this stuff is legit gross beyond gross - but not completely fair, either. All media can be equally disgusting. It's probably the combination of disgusting AND foreign (and just the reputation of Japan being a haven for the weird) that leads to anime in particular getting singled out a lot. And that's... y'know, not a good thing. Fear of the foreign is pretty gross in and of itself!

As a pretty easy and obvious example of failed ambassadorship: There are a nonzero number of anime avatars that feature underage girls looking sexy. I find it hard to blame people for dismissing the medium as a whole when that type of content is most of what they see bubble to the surface. (Well, that and mindless shounen action anime that's billions of episodes long.)

ibyea

Banned

lol

Exalted

Bungou Stray Dogs Episode 4

Nice episode, thought for a second that the show went all dark and serious, but it went back to goofy and comedic right away, the raid was kinda anticlimactic due to that, but i still liked it . The goofy tone makes it hard for me get involved in the plot in any serious way, but at least the comedy is good, and the characters are great.

The Tale of Heero Yuy, the Man Who Was Good at Everything 02

Another episode of hilarious hijinks including Heero being good at fencing, horse riding and Solid Snaking into military compounds. Last but not least he also rides on some torpedoes and jumps off then decides to lay face down in the ocean for no reason. There is also an ojou-sama who doesn't care Heero was about to kill her because she has never heard the phrase "curiosity killed the cat" in her entire life. This show is goofier then G.

The Tale of Heero Yuy, the Man Who Was Good at Everything 02

Another episode of hilarious hijinks including Heero being good at fencing, horse riding and Solid Snaking into military compounds. Last but not least he also rides on some torpedoes and jumps off then decides to lay face down in the ocean for no reason. There is also an ojou-sama who doesn't care Heero was about to kill her because she has never heard the phrase "curiosity killed the cat" in her entire life. This show is goofier then G.
You will soon seen why Wing is the best gundam series and you will feel ashamed of your words & deeds and reject G Gundam like the false idol it is.

Dagashi Kashi Ep: 6

And the award for Most Unexpected Burn on Modern Medicine goes to Dr Coconuts

This is a fun show, I mean not much happens bar strangely fascinating trivia about Japanese sweets and unfortunately rare bursts of imagination but I like it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom