• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2016 |OT| Get a Season So Complicated

Status
Not open for further replies.

JulianImp

Flying Witch #2
I liked this a lot better than the first episode since I really didn't like the mandragora thing the last time (awful comedy, IMO), and both the harbinger of spring and the cooking segments we got this episde were both relaxing and slightly heartwarming instead of weird forced comedy with オォォォォォォォ, even though I felt like they should've dropped the whole "Chinatsu finds the harbinger of spring scary" thing earlier, for example.

This isn't Non Non Biyori by a long shot, but it's still fairly enjoyable as a show I can enjoy watching on-and-off.

OceanBlue

Kiznaiver: 3

This episode was alright and all the cast worked well in this one. As for the new member, wasn’t expecting a masochist lol. The humor was good and all but hopefully the next episode gets a bit more serious; I’m a little impatient with this show for some reason and want something substantial to happen with the story.

You're impatient because there's nothing going on in this show. At least IMO, no one has any real goals except for the MC and the show hasn't explained why we should care about the kizuna system or how it relates to any of the characters' goals.

Danball Senki - 1

ChGdSjKUoAAgerl.jpg:large
ChGddEPUcAEzayf.jpg:large

Well, consider me hyped.

The CG robots honestly didn't look half bad here.

Line_HTX

Honestly a US DVD/Bluray collection isn't that hard to amass a lot of. It's the Japanese shit that's killer.

I really hate individual volumes when the content is 4 episodes max with just trailers from other shows.

It's why I like the complete collection of thinpaks to save space.

Samurai Champloo 5

It makes sense that a Sayo Yamamoto episode would have the most ostentatious direction since the first episode, as well as the most salacious story. The ostentatiousness of this episode didn't bother me as much as the first, which felt too overbearingly gimmicky in spots, and I rather enjoyed the story. The Van Gogh bookend was cute. This show is generally able to strike the right balance between seriousness and comedy so that one doesn't get in the way of the other.

blurr

From the New World 24

I still expect Wareta Ringo to play at the end of every episode, and every time I'm always disappointed that the second ED kicks in instead. What a waste.

second ED is great too!

I felt Samurai Champloo's ostentatious nature was more of a stylistic choice than a brash attempt to land an impression.

jbug617

Banned
I didn't realize how big my Anime collection is till I actually put all of them out on the floor and took a picture which I never do as I don't really have the space to put everything out till now.

The image above is taken on Dec 1, 2014 of what my Anime collection look like at that time. Nothing too crazy big.

This is my current picture of my collection today April 27, 16. The only anime I didn't add in as I don't want to take it out is the Zeta Gundam limited edition box set. Man... a year and 4 months and my Anime collection almost triple in size. Sigh...I need a bigger bookshelves.

I know the feeling. I just started watching anime and High School of The Dead Bluray was my first anime purchase.
This is just one of my media storage shelves. I have a bunch of DVDs, NISA bluray sets and Funi LE sets.

Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Gods

dragon-ball-z-battle-of-gods-dbz_bog_con_feature_hd377_rgb.jpg

Super Saiyan Red never really caught on did it?

So Battle of Gods is a pretty fun watch. In fact, it might be my favourite DBZ film. Unlike previous DBZ films, it expands upon the story (helps that it's canon) and has some actual character development, particularly with Goku and Vegeta. The fight scenes are well animated and choreographed. The fight between Goku and Beerus in particular stands out in that regard.
Helps that Goku winning is not a foregone conclusion and that he does indeed lose.

Yet the thing is, perhaps BoG's greatest strength not the fighting sequences but rather its character interactions, its comedic moments and the villains. The character interactions and comedic moments generally go hand in hand and compliment one another. Standouts include Piccolo getting mad over bingo and Vegeta's song and dance.

And then there's the villains. What is usually the weakest aspect of a DBZ film (with exceptions like Turles) is perhaps the strongest aspect of the movie. Beerus is just a blast to watch and Whis is fun in his own right. I'm looking forward to seeing more of them when Super is released over here.

Battle of Gods may very well end up being the best DBZ film I'll see. I'm not going to discount Resurrection F but I doubt It will be able to top Battle of Gods.

zulux21

I know the feeling. I just started watching anime and High School of The Dead Bluray was my first anime purchase.
This is just one of my media storage shelves. I have a bunch of DVDs, NISA bluray sets and Funi LE sets.

I'd post an image of my collection but I don't feel like taking a ton of pictures or trying to locate it all right now lol.

gohastings recently ran a 5 for $20 sale where I picked up most of bleach and naruto (as well as a few other series) aka I made I think it was 10 orders so 50 series right there that are just sitting in my bedroom on the floor lol.

I also have started collecting light novels (I think I am up to 50 or so of those) and have quite a bit of manga.

I completely avoided Resurrection of F. I wanted nothing to do with it.

both were decent, though not exciting to revisit in super (which has actually become good now)
but i mean F really just exists because the creator of dragon ball liked this song lol. as the song predates the movie by quite a bit. ( July 31, 2013 vs april 18th, 2015)

So Battle of Gods is a pretty fun watch. In fact, it might be my favourite DBZ film. Unlike previous DBZ films, it expands upon the story (helps that it's canon) and has some actual character development, particularly with Goku and Vegeta. The fight scenes are well animated and choreographed. The fight between Goku and Beerus in particular stands out in that regard.
Helps that Goku winning is not a foregone conclusion and that he does indeed lose.

Yet the thing is, perhaps BoG's greatest strength not the fighting sequences but rather its character interactions, its comedic moments and the villains. The character interactions and comedic moments generally go hand in hand and compliment one another. Standouts include Piccolo getting mad over bingo and Vegeta's song and dance.

And then there's the villains. What is usually the weakest aspect of a DBZ film (with exceptions like Turles) is perhaps the strongest aspect of the movie. Beerus is just a blast to watch and Whis is fun in his own right. I'm looking forward to seeing more of them when Super is released over here.

Battle of Gods may very well end up being the best DBZ film I'll see. I'm not going to discount Resurrection F but I doubt It will be able to top Battle of Gods.

battle of gods was legit good, at times felt more like a dragon ball ep and not a dbz ep. beerus and whis are the best things to come to the franchise in years. havent watched the freeza comes back and does things movie yet, despite owning the bluray. i should do that one of these days.

Correct.

I think one of my big issues with Joker Game is that each episode seems entirely about some mystery or other, and not at all about the characters. I find that fairly unsatisfying even in an episodic series like this one.

Thanks. Part of my uncertainty was just the, well, very similar looks of the "main" cast (I thought this might just be another case of samefaciness), but more interesting was how boldly the show was willing to lie through a really basic tenet of visual storytelling.

When "Hajime" is meeting with Honma, we cut not once but twice to scenes that are visualizations of complete lies "Hajime" is telling. Obviously the sighting of Kusanagi and the meeting with the classmate never could've happened, but instead of just showing "Hajime" telling Honma about them, we're actively shown scenes of them.

I guess this is kind of like the "unreliable narrator" conceit, but it's actually much weirder, because it exists without context. In the case of an unreliable narrator, the narrator is understood to exist diegetically. The trick Joker Game pulls uses the basic assumption of the impartiality of what the show itself is portraying to mislead the viewer.

I don't think I've ever seen anything quite like this before. Something similar might be, say, a character is delusional and thus scenes are shown that didn't actually happen in the context of the show's "world," but that's still diagetic, it has an "in-world" explanation. In Joker Game, it's as if the character is taking control of the medium itself, superseding diegesis for no real reason.

It's funny, even though the interaction this has with the viewer is subtle and complex, it seems to be just a failure in terms of writing, not the result of anything particularly intelligent. It strikes me as nothing more than a brute force way of ensuring the viewer doesn't see the big twist coming. Maybe this is a common thing in shows of this type and I just haven't seen enough of them, but it feels like very cheap storytelling. I found the effect it created to be interesting and ironic though... which is why I wrote so much about it I guess. :p

And sonicmj1, I totally agree with that thought on the show. It's disappointing to see it failing on so many fronts, I thought it had potential, and still do.

I feel the need to clarify something I brought up a few days ago because I didn’t do a great job clarifying my position. The topic of discussion was: recommending shows that you like but which feature questionable content.

For those of you who don’t read every single page of this thread every single day, this was in reference to Qurupeke recommending the series “Kuma Miko” to fans of “Flying Witch”.

Here’s the relevant post:

To which duckroll responded:

At which point Qurupeke clarified:

I interjected as follows:

Now a number of people including, cosmicblizzard, pointed out that this is just the reality of being an anime fan. Qurupek illustrated this as follows:

Now, there are a lot of ideas potentially worth unpacking here but I don’t really feel like tackling them all at once. Instead, I am just going to raise a handful of issues which I think are particularly pressing.

1. As people who contribute towards the discussion of anime, we are essentially acting as ambassadors for the medium. This might not be something we often (or ever) stop to consider, but it is the reality of the situation. The way we write about anime shapes people’s perception of not only anime, but anime fandom.

2. Compared to discussion that takes place in other fandoms (say, videogames), individual posters have a disproportionally large influence in shaping the tone and nature of discussions. This is because, as a niche medium, there's proportionately less people talking about it.

3. As a result of 1 + 2, I’d argue that anime fans have a certain duty in terms of how they write about, explain and recommend, anime. The exact nature and limits of this duty is certainly something that’s up for debate.

4. Unrelated to the above, but also undeniable, is the reality that anime is a somewhat maligned medium. Anime doesn’t always deserve the bad reputation it’s gotten, but it does contain much which is unsavoury and objectionable.

5. Anime fans, likewise, have earned a certain reputation. This reputation is not entirely unearned.

6. To avoid perpetuating these negative stereotypes, I think it’s important for anime fans to clearly and consistently call shows/movies/whatever on their bullshit. Every. Single. Time.

7. Neglecting to mention objectionable content, or essentially trying to sweep it under the carpet, gives the impression that anime fans are tacitly accepting a certain level of completely unacceptable content/tone/messages/stereotypes/whatever in the anime they consume. This shouldn’t be the case and more importantly, it shouldn’t appear to be the case to people who just happen to swing by this thread, or check a show out on a whim.

8. I don’t think there’s inherently a problem in saying a work contains material that you find offensive or wrong, but that you otherwise appreciate for its other qualities. However I think you have to do a really thorough job in explaining what that objectionable content is in a way that doesn’t sanitize or downplay it. Bring it out into the light of day. Say “Yes, No Game No Life features a pantyshot (with cameltoe) of an 11 year old girl in the first episode. But I still like it because of X, Y, Z”. At least, in doing that, you make it quite clear what the objectionable content really is and it gives you space to either explain it away or accept it or whatever you wish to do. But at least you’re actually tackling it, rather than trying to ignore it.

9. As I’ve mentioned above, understand that the audience for what you write isn’t just this thread. Don’t make the assumption that it’s just a certain subset of very hardcore anime fans. All kinds of people pass through this thread and read what you write.

10. Heck, even if you're explicitly writing for an audience of dedicated anime fans you should still carefully consider how you wish to discuss this kind of material. There are plenty of people who watch anime regularly but would nevertheless find the content of a Kuma Miko to be so off-putting that they couldn't ignore it.

11. Therefore, in the spirit of being a good ambassador, you should do a good job of clearly highlighting and addressing this kind of questionable content. This means, for example, that people won't get accidentally caught out by something which appears, on the surface, to be innocuous.

12. I think this is particularly relevant in the case of Qurupeke recommending Kuma Miko to SOL fans because on its surface that really looks like a show that should have total universal appeal and be completely safe for any audience. The fact that it isn’t is something that’s really worth discussing and detailing when you recommend it.

Oh my god this post is so beautiful.

I remember getting told crimson shell and no game no life were OK so long as you overlook problematic issues the shows have.

Responses like that disturb me greatly.

Macross 7 3

I thought Macross was serious anime for serious people.

Heh, I just started watching this too and had the same thought! I've heard it takes some time to get going, but everyone I know who is into Macross loves it so I'm looking forward to the later episodes. I do think it's very charming so far.

kewlmyc

Glad you enjoyed it. I do think it's the best DBZ movie easily.

Beerus and Whis are my favorite DB villains in general, even above Pilaf and Cell. Knowing that they would be central in Super made me okay with Super happening.

Quasar

Heh, I just started watching this too and had the same thought! I've heard it takes some time to get going, but everyone I know who is into Macross loves it so I'm looking forward to the later episodes. I do think it's very charming so far.

Despite being a Macross fan, 7 repelled me from the start. Only made it through two episode. Not sure why exactly as its ages ago though.

Thoraxes

Macross 7 is great and Basara giving no fucks was the best.

Half my time watching it was me just going "Why would you do that? That's dangerous and stupid."

It was a ton of fun.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Tonkatsu DJ Agetaro just makes me wish Crunchy picked up Doamaiger D.

Rip Doamaiger, you were before your time.

TUSR

Banned
BAKUON!! is so strange, the characters seem to look different every couple of scenes. The inconsistency is jarring.

If you're enjoying it early on that speaks well because that's usually the hurdle. Well that and people not getting Nekki Basara. Macross 7 has some problems with overuse of stock footage but it's charming and so flagrantly and deliberately ridiculous that I can't help but love it.

Despite being a Macross fan, 7 repelled me from the start. Only made it through two episode. Not sure why exactly as its ages ago though.
You probably couldn't appreciate the wonders of listening to Planet Dance nonstop.

Reknoc

If you're enjoying it early on that speaks well because that's usually the hurdle. Well that and people not getting Nekki Basara. Macross 7 has some problems with overuse of stock footage but it's charming and so flagrantly and deliberately ridiculous that I can't help but love it.

You probably couldn't appreciate the wonders of listening to Planet Dance nonstop.

I think early on it isn't so bad if you can gel with what it's doing. It begins to drag a little around the middle before eventually deciding to fire!! on all cylinders by the last, I want to say, third? Of the series.

Brings a tear to my eye knowing that people are listening to his song for the first time.

Dio

Banned

Close enough, I made an OT thread.

GANTZ:O is probably one of the few series in which a 3D movie fits well since the manga has shitloads of 3DCG in it as well.

The magazine also announced the film's main staff. Keiichi Satou (Tiger & Bunny, Asura) is the chief director for the film, and Yasushi Kawamura (Appleseed: Ex Machina CGI director) is directing the film. Tsutomu Kuroiwa (One Piece Film Gold script) is writing the screenplay. Digital Frontier is handling production.

I'm real excited about it since the movie's specifically about the Osaka arc and that arc has a fucking toddler beating up an alien in a muscle suit. It was really fun to read that arc.

qyqiwo.gif

pzqwna.gif

ewymrc.gif

Stray Dogs 4

Dropped this last week, apparently ineffectively. There's not much in this episode to excuse last week's shock tactics but as a follow-up to that I enjoyed it. After the events here though I have to wonder what the significance of the port mafia even is beyond functioning as an origin story; they're taking up more time but don't feel more important or interesting than an episodic story might have. Also Omigawa better have more than like 5 lines at some point or I'll drop the show a second and probably third time.

Heroschool 04
This is freaking hype.
giphy.gif

Although I was a little underwhelmed by his... underwhelming reaction. He just sits there and silently cries. I would be all AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!

also i take it back, midoriya's mom is even more endearing as a muffin

Oh wait, Under the Dog release date announced with new PV.
http://under-the-dog.com/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wn3zjDltpK0

August 1.

Cast:
Asami Seto as Anthea Kallenberg
Rumi Okubo as Hana Togetsu
Koki Uchiyama as Shunichi Nanase
Haruka Takahashi as Sayuri
Naomi Ohzora as Estella

This looks dramatically different from the original Kickstarter pitch video. Even the artstyle, it doesn't really scream Yusuke Kozaki anymore. (Good or bad thing? I actually like his stuff for the most part)

Is Kojima still attached to this?

Close enough, I made an OT thread.

GANTZ:O is probably one of the few series in which a 3D movie fits well since the manga has shitloads of 3DCG in it as well.

I'm real excited about it since the movie's specifically about the Osaka arc and that arc has a fucking toddler beating up an alien in a muscle suit. It was really fun to read that arc.

qyqiwo.gif

pzqwna.gif

ewymrc.gif
I wonder if they will include the naked guy fucking the yokai chick lol.

second ED is great too!

No. It is nothing. Ordinarily I wouldn't bat an eye at that (e.g., the Baccano ED or the House of Five Leaves ED), but when your show sets such a high bar for itself it's really disappointing to come back to average forgettableness.

I felt Samurai Champloo's ostentatious nature was more of a stylistic choice than a brash attempt to land an impression.

Sure, it's a stylistic choice, but some of the tactics the first episode took made me roll my eyes, particularly the random scene thrown in of a modern inner-city. I'm not sure if that was intended to justify the show's use of hip-hop music or what.

PKrockin

I feel the need to clarify something I brought up a few days ago because I didn’t do a great job clarifying my position. The topic of discussion was: recommending shows that you like but which feature questionable content.

For those of you who don’t read every single page of this thread every single day, this was in reference to Qurupeke recommending the series “Kuma Miko” to fans of “Flying Witch”.

8. I don’t think there’s inherently a problem in saying a work contains material that you find offensive or wrong, but that you otherwise appreciate for its other qualities. However I think you have to do a really thorough job in explaining what that objectionable content is in a way that doesn’t sanitize or downplay it. Bring it out into the light of day. Say “Yes, No Game No Life features a pantyshot (with cameltoe) of an 11 year old girl in the first episode. But I still like it because of X, Y, Z”. At least, in doing that, you make it quite clear what the objectionable content really is and it gives you space to either explain it away or accept it or whatever you wish to do. But at least you’re actually tackling it, rather than trying to ignore it.
Someone told me only that No Game No Life was a must-watch if I loved Death Note because they were really similar. I hated it from that first pantyshot, a fucking pantyshot with cameltoe of an 11 year old girl who still sucks her thumb. That show has the most blatant, stupid, over the top pandering and fanservice I've ever seen. From the one episode I could stomache, I'm pretty sure the script was stolen from a 12-year-old's self-insert fanfiction. So yeah, if the show is offensive and full of extreme pandering without even any self awareness, you should probably mention that before recommending it to someone.

i fucking hate no game no life. It's more insulting to my intelligence than Green Green.

blurr

No. It is nothing. Ordinarily I wouldn't bat an eye at that (e.g., the Baccano ED or the House of Five Leaves ED), but when your show sets such a high bar for itself it's really disappointing to come back to average forgettableness.

Well, I won't debate much about music preferences but the song wasn't 'forgettable' for me. Although I wouldn't disagree if you said the first ED felt better.

Sure, it's a stylistic choice, but some of the tactics the first episode took made me roll my eyes, particularly the random scene thrown in of a modern inner-city. I'm not sure if that was intended to justify the show's use of hip-hop music or what.

As for Champloo, that was cool, I don't think it had a very concrete intention other than to surprise you for a moment with the fact that it's a "samurai" anime but somehow set in a modern day. It's a minor gag, it either works or it doesn't but I don't feel it is inherently bad. Maybe I'm easily surprised.

Narag

Tonkatsu DJ Agetaro just makes me wish Crunchy picked up Doamaiger D.

Rip Doamaiger, you were before your time.

Funi did and quietly put it out for what it's worth but the subs were a mess since there was nary a line onscreen they didn't translate.

Cornbread78

Wagamama High ep.3
What is this, something that is actually pretty funny? Nice little short here with good reaction faces and humor.

Strike the Blood ep. 20-21:
This show can get pretty damn bloody when it wants to. I'm debating if I should just finish this one off now, or hold off until tomorrow, since I'm sure this arc will continue to the end. The show has a pretty good mix of humor and action, but the arc structure is weird with no central plot following the story.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom