• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2016 |OT| Get a Season So Complicated

Status
Not open for further replies.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
Will the anime scene ever uses the term fanservice correctly?

Another term which should be replaced is "otaku" as a way to describe everything one person doesn't like in anime. Stuff like Girls und Panzer for example is also completly written for an otaku audience but it doesn't hurt its quality.

Still the best fanservice. Step it up anime!

67wYm.jpg

Will the anime scene ever uses the term fanservice correctly?

Another term which should be replaced is "otaku" as a way to describe everything one person doesn't like in anime. Stuff like Girls und Panzer for example is also completly written for an otaku audience but it doesn't hurt its quality.

I'm afraid it seems destined to suffer broadening to the point of losing all utility, despite being quite self explanatory.

e_i

AssClass season 2 episode 16

Figures that they
are thinking about saving him.
Oh, and a stupid mouse
blew up the moon, not Koro-sensei.

Yup. The thing with that Shinobu bath scene was that it wasn't focusing on fanservice, and it was more like Koyomi and she are talking stuff while they coincidentally happen to be in the bath.

I also interpreted it as showing a bond so strong that they are past things like shame and sexuality. I mean, Shinobu will be always in his shadow, forever. When he goes to school, when he take a piss, when he is making out with Senjou, when he is bathing... After some time, it makes sense they reached that level and have that behavior.

T-Rex.

Banned
So what film do I watch next if I've recently watched: the girl who leapt through time, wolf children, the garden of words and 5 centimetres per second.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
So what film do I watch next if I've recently watched: the girl who leapt through time, wolf children, the garden of words and 5 centimetres per second.

Millenium Actress

Cornbread78

Netoge ep.4
Rusian is a slut! Too bad that newbie is goona get rekt by the yandere princess! A couple other hilarious things in this episode include the guild member "Cloud" with the giant sword, and the master's repose to the teacher in cat language when she mentioned the Ako should stop playing.... I really almost feel bad for Ako at this point because Rusian blows her off and everyone makes fun of her and her problem, but, she is trying hard.... This show is a lot more fun than I thought it would be!

phaze

Mind Game

or Kaguya.

They bear no relation to the the ones you mentioned but with those four, you've already picked the seemingly most well regarded works of Hosoda and Shinkai.

JulianImp

I also interpreted it as showing a bond so strong that they are past things like shame and sexuality. I mean, Shinobu will be always in his shadow, forever. When he goes to school, when he take a piss, when he is making out with Senjou, when he is bathing... After some time, it makes sense they reached that level and have that behavior.

Totally. The fact that they're taking a bath together is something that can't be denied, but it didn't actually feel creepy because that wasn't the focus of the scene, and the characters didn't place emphasis on it. In comparison there's that part where Nadeko was doing stuff that could be taken in a lewd way and Koyomi kept rationalizing excuses for her behaviour that fit how he pictured her. That did work towards establishing Nadeko's character and setting her up for the Medusa arc, but the fact that the whole scene hinged on lewd stuff made it slightly unsettling and less enjoyable for me, even if the payout at the end was fairly good.

Have you seen any of Isao Takahata's films? Gauche the Cellist, Only Yesterday, The Tale of Princess Kaguya etc.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Kanbaneri of The Iron Fortress Episode 4:

AH yes, I see in addition to having other bits and bobs of Attack on Titan, the series was also really keen to pick up some of those idiot balls tough I will grant these people are stupid for other reasons.
I do like the fact that the fear and loathing is actually justified as the Kanbaneri have unsavory aspects to them. Still, on the other hand they have saved your asses on multiple occasions and more to the point, there was never a second I bought it was the poor super weapons being oppressed by rather some very stupid people being staved off from a rightful funeral.

Cornbread78

Hotarubi no Mori e
Kumo no Mukou, Yakusoku no Basho

Totally. The fact that they're taking a bath together is something that can't be denied, but it didn't actually feel creepy because that wasn't the focus of the scene, and the characters didn't place emphasis on it. In comparison there's that part where Nadeko was doing stuff that could be taken in a lewd way and Koyomi kept rationalizing excuses for her behaviour that fit how he pictured her. That did work towards establishing Nadeko's character and setting her up for the Medusa arc, but the fact that the whole scene hinged on lewd stuff made it slightly unsettling and less enjoyable for me, even if the payout at the end was fairly good.

Not that I really want to but in on this conversation, but this was my interpretation of that scene as well. Also, that was the first time the two of them really communicated on the same level and they were just finally coming to grips with their situation and how they are stuck together for life; it was a big turning point. Hell yeah, it could have been animated completely differently, but I think the author was smart enough to use some base level psychology about what nakedness means psychologically (I probably would have just preferred a typical monogatari banter session to hash everything out...

Oh well...
Scenes like that are why I cannot recommend *monogatari to anyone unless they are really aware of what they are getting into and can tolerate that stuff. The show is surprisingly deep at times, and surprisingly shallow at others, (see the firs t15 seconds into the OP) lol.

Ascheroth

Danball Senki #1-7

Yes, this is pretty awesome.
Went from fighting against delinquents with plastic model toys to preventing the assassination of the Prime Minister (also with a plastic model) in 5 episodes.
It also features an evil organization, plastic models that were so dangerous that they were made illegal, only to be made legal again... without really changing anything about them, a plastic model brainwashing someone, black market plastic model dealers and a plastic model princess-carrying another one, and more.
Does not dissappoint.

pbayne

All ready lots of good recommendation and maybe for something that is the opposite speed of those maybe Perfect Blue.

phaze

Gaming side going on about all those early Uncharted 4 copies out there, but look what I got 18 days early!

Now that's what I call real luck!
Who is this girl and why is she spending so much money on wigs and contacts.

I actually don't remember how the Ayatsuji arc went. It's been a long while since I watched it.

As for George's narration, I think he cracked up a ton during commentary on all of Sae's arc.
Now you can start SS Plus in reverse order, starting with Ayatsuji. S-type student council president, mmm[
Well he didn't straight up laugh but there were definitely times I thought he was holding it.

As to bolded 12 episodes + 8 OVAs ?

T-Rex.

Banned
Garden of Feet.

Oh, you already watched that. Yeah, Only Yesterday.
lmao, it's funny cos it's true.

Have you seen any of Isao Takahata's films? Gauche the Cellist, Only Yesterday, The Tale of Princess Kaguya etc.
I'm not clued up on directors or anything tbh but I don't think I have. The only anime films I've seen are the ones I listed earlier and also stuff like Perfect Blue, Kara no Kyoukai, Redline, Akira and a few others.

Crocodile

~~~the meanings of words change over time~~~

There's a difference between words changing from one precise meaning to another precise meaning over time ("gay" in the 60s vs "gay" today) or having two distinct meanings across cultures and nationalities ("fag" in the States vs "fag" in England) and words moving from a precise or somewhat precise meaning to a completely nebulous and context sensitive meaning ("moe" in the past vs "moe" now; also see "pandering", "otaku", etc.). The former is the natural evolution of language. The later is just obnoxious and makes it impossible to talk to people with a common language.

Reknoc

Love Live S2 09

Yes, do the chant to appease the dark lord

Gundam Wing 03

I'm not sure if this was always readable or if the HD made it readable but its funny either way

It's always fun trying to see if you can read what monitors have on them in anime. Macross Frontier had one with some article on a motocross racer.

RDubyaWY: Volume I
It ain't an anime but if there was anything so unashamedly anime this is it.

I'm glad that the framerate is actually higher than 26fps unlike real CG anime. sheesh, Arpeggio.

Edit: I change my mind this is YouTube

Russ T

Banned
There's a difference between words changing from one precise meaning to another precise meaning over time ("gay" in the 60s vs "gay" today) or having two distinct meanings across cultures and nationalities ("fag" in the States vs "fag" in England) and words moving from a precise or somewhat precise meaning to a completely nebulous and context sensitive meaning ("moe" in the past vs "moe" now; also see "pandering", "otaku", etc.). The former is the natural evolution of language. The later is just obnoxious and makes it impossible to talk to people with a common language.

Yeah but "fanservice", if anything, fits your first category. It has currently two definitions, one of which is used more often than the other. It'll continue to shift in that direction over time, because that's the current trend.

Also, I'm not the one making this rule, so don't yell at me! This is reality. That's how language has worked for, well, since the beginning of language. You can fight it all you want, but you'll never win unless you destroy language entirely, which, well, that's a bit drastic.

Nature can be pretty obnoxious.

Rule of thumb

If it something that only used in the anime community then it is pretty safe to assume that's garbage.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
The problem with the argument is, instead of accepting you're using a word wrong you simply dismiss it as language changing so therefore you're always right.

Or to put it simply: oxygen gooseberry camel which did eat cabbage brick combine harvester

Russ T

Banned
The problem with the argument is, instead of accepting you're using a word wrong you simply dismiss it as language changing so therefore you're always right.

Or to put it simply: oxygen gooseberry camel which did eat cabbage brick combine harvester

Now you're accusing me of misusing the word "otaku" which has literally never happened because I, quite simply, don't use that word wrong.

Also, the unfortunate problem with your logic is that it conveniently ignores the reality of how language has worked since the dawn of language. If enough people use the "wrong" definition often enough, it becomes the "right" definition. Or, at least, another definition.

Crocodile

Yeah but "fanservice", if anything, fits your first category. It has currently two definitions, one of which is used more often than the other. It'll continue to shift in that direction over time, because that's the current trend.

Also, I'm not the one making this rule, so don't yell at me! This is reality. That's how language has worked for, well, since the beginning of language. You can fight it all you want, but you'll never win unless you destroy language entirely, which, well, that's a bit drastic.

Nature can be pretty obnoxious.

I mean I think the meaning of fanservice is clear enough most of the time to not be problematic. I think its a lot of other words/terms that are issues. Just because "that's the way things have always been" doesn't mean we have to roll over and take it. I'm not saying we need to take ques from the French in this regard but we still can be a little more careful with the words we use. Personal responsibility and all that.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I didn't accuse you of anything. Nothing I've said was aimed directly at you. This whole time I've been talking in the general sense because I see that exact phrase used all the time. That argument really is just a pet peeve of mine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom