• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2016 |OT| Get a Season So Complicated

Status
Not open for further replies.

brawly

Slam Dunk 59

Damn you show for taking my heart and stampng into the ground. What a gut punch of an end.
Game against Kainan was out of this world good. Can't wait to see Shohuku play Ryonan again. Gotta get that Sendoh vs Sakuragi matchup.

I like you.

Kagewani S2 5

I'm really not feeling this season of Kagewani. It has shifted the focus from atmospheric horror to a conspiracy plot involving multiple human factions, which just isn't so interesting. There was some really awkward "as you know" exposition this episode. As well, this season has increased the amount of straightforward fast-paced action moments, which does not work well with the limited animation techniques being used. The knife fight between the two women this episode just looked bad.

Narag

Kagewani S2 5

I'm really not feeling this season of Kagewani. It has shifted the focus from atmospheric horror to a conspiracy plot involving multiple human factions, which just isn't so interesting. There was some really awkward "as you know" exposition this episode. As well, this season has increased the amount of straightforward fast-paced action moments, which does not work well with the limited animation techniques being used. The knife fight between the two women this episode just looked bad.

You can tell why the guy's a horror director. Action is not his forte .

Ascheroth

Kagewani S2 5

I still like it.
...But I too would have preferred something more like S1 in terms of atmosphere.

Sakamoto #3

Hilarious. It looks more and more that the 1st episode was the odd man out, thankfully.

Asterisk #17

53vj86h.jpg
olgkgWy.jpg
VRJ3JyK.jpg

Very good fight and I didn't mind the constant shift between CG and 2D much.
I'm looking forward to the finals, because AR-D and RM-C are so much fun.
The predictable 'you can't use your fullpower because we have a hostage, which will be saved at a critical moment anyway' trope is going to be pretty meh though.

Qurupeke

Kiznaiver 4
Alright, this show gets better and better in every episode. The interactions between the characters are very good. The conversation between Yuta and Honoka or the Chidori and Tenga scene at the end of the episode really help to show their personalities more. And actually, despite having a certain "archetype" as their character's base, something about this kind of interactions establish that they're actually very human. Also, other than this, there are several instances that the group interacts in interesting ways. Stuff like Yuta being jealous towards the masochist or Nico's remark after they exchanged e-mails. Also, it was nice seeing Sonozaki being part of the group, and showing some softness but still retaining her strictness, like in the game they played. Chidori remains the best character for me though. Maybe the childhood love trope is overplayed, but still I love their take on it, and it works nicely on such an apathetic main character. Hopefully Tenga will be helpful and they'll end up together with Katsuhira in the end. I won't take any other ending besides this one.

Oh, and the show looks pretty stunning at times. I don't think it has THE production values, but the art-style, the colours or certain shots, like the opening scene, manage to create something that looks high quality. I'm very impressed. Actually, I've noticed a similar effect on Luluco too, which has a very simple art.

Sakamoto 3

Once again Sakamoto changes a bully for the better, and then gets attacked by not a cougar but by a buffalo. All the ladies want him. Even the stalker horny types. This was scarier than any horror manga before.

Diamond is Unbreakable 5

8Pd4UIu.jpg

qLDkrIH.jpg

HHMlqrf.jpg

Hello Toshiyuki Kato.

The execution continues to be really strong. Great atmosphere all around, both when it's going for tense horror and for tragic pathos. Seeing that family photo was really touching. The strong character art and slick transitions keep this entirely engaging.

Also, Jotaro continues to be spectacular even in an episode where he only shows up for one scene. Gets attacked by electricity through his hotel phone, and what does he do afterwards? Calmly picks up his waiting tea cup. Yare yare indeed.

Kagewani

You can tell why the guy's a horror director. Action is not his forte .

The first season and even the first episode of the second used the limited animation to such excellent effect. It's disappointing to see the show take such a step backwards.

Asterisk 17

Can't say I expected that resolution to the match.
I was finally expecting them to pull something out of their ass again to win it all, but I preferred seeing them lose. Robo power too stronk.

Cornbread78

Sankarea ep.9
Oh. So that's what's going on. Poor Mero sensing the zombie touch as
her mother's
Now it makes so much sense why Furiya is so infatuated with zombie girls.
His grandfather must have originally used the potion on his daughter (Fur's mom) and that's whose name he keeps telling out.
very interesting twist right there.

Ascheroth

Kiznaiver #4

The character interactions. They are so good.
And now Sonozaki is getting more presence too.
And I agree, it looks really good. Especially the Nico-faces.

Tanaka-kun is Always Listless 4

Who knew we'd get not one but THREE Thoraxes in one episode? And they're all fans of indirect touches.

I'm not a fan of this new girl. The other two had charm to them, this one has nothing besides "look at how pretty and charming and perfect she is, everybody loves her". I mean I guess her 'secret persona' is her gimmick, but a pretty person who simply needed a wardrobe change to go from nerdy to the most popular girl in school is meh. The show had to have a weak link in its cast, i guess she's it. Hopefully they go back to using the other two girls more than her.

Tanaka fantasizing on sleeping in the warm paper made me lol, I always commented on how warm the paper at my office's printer came out.

Tanaka-kun 4

Another new character explored and very well integrated with the central relationship. The more episodes I watch the defter this seems. They largely seem to fit the theme too, either in opposition to Tanaka's listlessness or envious of it. Also, and this can't be understated, it's an anime comedy that's consistently funny; in this episode there's plainly funny dialogue, more good usage of hold-and-the-joke-gets-funnier, along with visual jokes like the bodyguards being depicted as shy bears even in scenes subsequent to the metaphor.

Reading the show's website I notice that the girl in the OP that looks like Tanaka is actually his sister so I'm looking forward to her showing up.

This show is really making me want to watch Non Non Biyori.

Diamond is Unbreakable 5

Not going to lie, the first 2/3rds of this didn't do a whole lot for me. I did vaguely remember the situation from the manga but I don't know if that can fully account for my boredom. Perhaps they just spent too long on it. The last 3rd was gureto desu yo.

Nah, your missing out on the fun! Sometimes craziness is excellent to watch for fun, lol.

I can see dropping Big Order but Lost Village? Its one of the one anime to look forward to weekly.

I'll answer these 2 together. Idk ever since I got into my co-op I find myself with very little free time once I get home. I don't want to be watching silly shows and miss out on watching the good ones, or doing something else with those 20mins. Big Order was so ridiculous that I just couldn't handle it after this new episode lol. Lost Village is just way too crazy stupid for me too. See Kiznaiver is a whole lot of crazy too, but it is done in a much better way, and it's a lot more fun. Which reminds me, I should watch that soon.

Tuck

Diamond is Unbreakable - 5
Unfortunately, this was pretty bad. All the emotional beats fell flat because of piss poor dialogue and questionable character motivations.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Nah, your missing out on the fun! Sometimes craziness is excellent to watch for fun, lol.

Big Order is self aware dumb, played up to the point of comedy. It's incredible just how stupid it is. At the very least it's better than the series our quasi serious trainwrecks, that tend to be dumb not in the sort of way you can laugh at it.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
Lost Village 5
RIP ass of judgment (lol)
See, this series know how to be crazy entertaining. I sure hope Lovepon survive this shit. She's a goddamn gift!

Haifuri 4

Well, this show just lost most of what it had going for it. It looked like it was setting itself up for political intrigue and global affairs. I thought another country was orchestrating all the mutinies from behind the scenes. A villain that could actually give the show some direction.

But what I got was fucking mice.

The Lost Village 5

Hahaha I was dying when they were arguing about his name. No one seemed terribly concerned that he fell off a cliff either. Being Assbound-kun is suffering.

pbayne

Kiznaiver 4

I like the character interactions but im getting a bit angsty waiting for plot to kick in...which looks to be happening next week. Councillor lady is scary. And Honoka with the ultra burn, puts her just behind Tenga as best character.

Im still worried that when this show tries to expand and go further in depth on the individual characters it'll come up short, but ill see what happens.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Kiznaiver Episode 4:

Yea, this is starting to teeter to the edge of becoming a very strange slice of life series but it looks like the plot is about to kick in here, well some of it at any rate. Don't forget that a big chunk of the story seems to be the deepening of bonds, which against all the protests are starting to develop. This is still a series that vexes me in its mechanical clockworks.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
High School Fleet 4

"Euros? What kind of muppet uses Euros? A HA HA HA HA HA HA HA! What is she like?"

Was this episode sponsored by the Brexit leave campaign?

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Gyakuten Saiban Episode 4:

Yep, I am definitely remember why I have not played one of these games in an age and a half and that is they are mind tormentingly stupid.

Haifuri Ep 4

In case we forgot this was anime we have a scene which acknowledges that ships can't just burn rubber like a car followed immediately by
a haunted hyper-belligerent hamster possessing
a crew member. Amazing. AOTS. Pretty much a pause episode with not much else of note revealed after an
at sea resupply and refit
it's pretty clear that they aren't making it back to base.

In the far future the Zimbabwean Dollar commands more respect than the Euro

Alright Musashi you better show up real soon now

Yep, I am definitely remember why I have not played one of these games in an age and a half and that is they are mind tormentingly stupid.

the games have their own internal logic even if the court system makes no sense (every trial has to be completed in three days, no more. wut) but the anime doesnt really carry over any of that cuz it skips all the game stuff and just lazily does everything else.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
the games have their own internal logic even if the court system makes no sense (every trial has to be completed in three days, no more. wut) but the anime doesnt really carry over any of that cuz it skips all the game stuff and just lazily does everything else.

Yea, everything is just magnified here as I just want to keep screaming mistrial at some of this shit.

Cornbread78

Asterisk ep.17
I called that outcome last week. This whole rival school getting to use avatars instead of the fighters themselves because of a loophole in the rules was bullshit last season and still is now as well. That's exactly what turned me off from the show last year and still is now. If you're going to have a rival/villian at least pit them on the same footing. Also, the
kidnapping
shit is really tiresome, it's not this shows fault, it's just getting so old in all of these animes.

ibyea

Banned

It is terrible even if you are a fan of the game. The terribleness goes far beyond just not being able to accept the premise of the silly court system.

Sterok

Kiznaiver 4

The interactions are pretty good here. Katsuhira certainly cares a lot for Sonozaki. And we've got another Kix group about to join the fun.

Haifuri 4

Hamsters? Really? Okay, I guess we're really going in that direction.

Kiznaiver 4
Oh shit Honoka with that sick burn. Brutal, savage, rekt.
Looks like the Kiznaiver project is not just a one off thing here, as seen at the end.

Tanaka-kun 4
" A girl can cover up her looks, but she can't hide her chest size. I recognized it right away."
That's a quote right there.

Thoraxes

Tanaka-kun is Always Listless 4

Who knew we'd get not one but THREE Thoraxes in one episode? And they're all fans of indirect touches.

I'm not a fan of this new girl. The other two had charm to them, this one has nothing besides "look at how pretty and charming and perfect she is, everybody loves her". I mean I guess her 'secret persona' is her gimmick, but a pretty person who simply needed a wardrobe change to go from nerdy to the most popular girl in school is meh. The show had to have a weak link in its cast, i guess she's it. Hopefully they go back to using the other two girls more than her.

Tanaka fantasizing on sleeping in the warm paper made me lol, I always commented on how warm the paper at my office's printer came out.
Picked up.

pbayne

Something i forgot about Kiznaiver, fair play to whoever was in charge of the fashion for the characters. Looked trendy and cool without being ridiculous and they fit each characters personality.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom