• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2016 |OT| Get a Season So Complicated

Status
Not open for further replies.

ibyea

Banned
High School Fleet: 4
You know, I expected something really cliched for the reason these things were happening, and I was still disappointed by what it actually was. Dropped.

Say "I Love You

This is a great show, Mei and Yamato make a great pair from the off and the show is built around them feeling their way through a relationship rather than focusing on the chase. There's little of the cliche misunderstandings built off overheard conversations or compromising positions instead they result from poor communication and established character traits. It's a 13 episode series but it wraps up by episode 12, 13 feels like a mirror universe version of the show where all of the drama is stupid misunderstandings and melodramatics, it's very strange.

Crocodile

I think it gets back to what you were saying about not really having any sort of affinity for the era. Past the most overt example yet of how absurd it is for the government to try and control truly powerfhul superhumans and how in the grand scheme of things humans and superhumans are far, far closer to one another than they are apart, it's just a lovely Go Nagai homage.

I dunno if the Apollo 17 backdrop really added much to the episode or narrative. I do agree with you in terms on a major point being the complete hopeless and futility of trying to control some of the beings that inhabit the planet given the "hierarchy" in play (man CR Earth is kind of a terrifying place). Watching the police ninjas struggle to accomplish much of anything, double down on their stubbornness and then pre-maturaly celebrate was hilarious in its own way. I also think the ending was more peaceful and much sweeter than I was expecting. But I'd hardly call the episode "moving" or give it a standing ovation or anything. A lot people seemed REALLY touched by the episode. I was just kind of "eh cool".

Quasar

Say "I Love You

This is a great show, Mei and Yamato make a great pair from the off and the show is built around them feeling their way through a relationship rather than focusing on the chase. There's little of the cliche misunderstandings built off overheard conversations or compromising positions instead they result from poor communication and established character traits. It's a 13 episode series but it wraps up by episode 12, 13 feels like a mirror universe version of the show where all of the drama is stupid misunderstandings and melodramatics, it's very strange.

Yeah. Shame we never got further seasons.

Narag

I dunno if the Apollo 17 backdrop really added much to the episode or narrative. I do agree with you in terms on a major point being the complete hopeless and futility of trying to control some of the beings that inhabit the planet given the "hierarchy" in play (man CR Earth is kind of a terrifying place). Watching the police ninjas struggle to accomplish much of anything, double down on their stubbornness and then pre-maturaly celebrate was hilarious in its own way. I also think the ending was more peaceful and much sweeter than I was expecting. But I'd hardly call the episode "moving" or give it a standing ovation or anything. A lot people seemed REALLY touched by the episode. I was just kind of "eh cool".

I spent the past day considering the Apollo 17 inclusion and beyond it being there for historical flavor, I think it was included for a couple of reasons:
  • First was to use it as this sort of establishing shot for Devila's show of force later on. It would have felt weird to hit some capsule in space without first bringing it up and without it there, ti would have been indistinguishable from the night sky.
  • Second is it fits duckroll's theory that the show is going to conclude with some sort of Yamato/Harlock/Gundam excursion to space as that's been an underlying element in three of the past four episodes with the sole exclusion involving a being inextricably tied to the Earth itself. It gives us a view of where mankind is at the moment but it's obvious the big journey is going much, much further than the moon.

Jintor

Flying Witch 4

lol silly me thinking there would be any real drama in this show

wolf children vibes for a little bit there

marked out so hard when she ate the candy. funny shit.

as someone said earlier kei's reactions are great, he tries to be the straight deadpan guy but he can't help reacting to stuff.

Crayon Shin-chan Movie 22: Serious Battle! Robot Dad Fights Back!

This movie has it all. It's

- a homage to super robots from the writer of TTGL
- an action blockbuster with large-scale setpieces
- a heartwarming family drama
- social commentary about the state of fatherhood in present-day Japan
- dirty comedy about butts
- featuring an 8-bit wrestling game segment
- featuring surreal animation from Masaaki Yuasa and Science Saru

When your big climax is
a battle between a giant enka singer robot and a giant... butt robot
, you've done something right!

Jarmel

Banned
Concrete Revolutio-17

I pretty much found this as only okay as well.

Kinda surprised about the exposed tits. Was that actually aired on TV?

It seems several people have watched the episode and the proceeded to jizz all over themselves. I watched it and I thought it was just ok. What am I missing?

Speaking personally, I found Devilo and Devila fascinating and liked how they were portrayed as mysterious beings beyond human control or comprehension. Devila's appearance at the end was magical.

But of course, not everyone is going to have the same emotional reaction to a work of art. We're all different, after all.

Concrete Revolutio-17

I pretty much found this as only okay as well.

Kinda surprised about the exposed tits. Was that actually aired on TV?

It hasn't aired on TV yet!

Just T

Flying Witch: 4

Lol that was a nice episode all around, I like Inukai. Also that scene with her flying over the cherry blossoms looked wonderful.

Narag

Kabaneri 2

Now I see why Mumei keeps leading those "anime character that I wish would step on me" polls on twitter.

Narag

Kabaneri 3

Wasn't sure if I'd be fully onboard with this show but I am now. Gonna fuckin' burn when Wit fucks everything up.

JulianImp

Ace Attorney #5
I noticed a second possible continuity error, since Phoenix is seen in his room turning the TV on while Maya's on the phone, and while the news is still going the location switches to Phoenix's office with him fully clothed and Maya next to him, which was really weird.

Olbag was nice, but it felt like too many things were rushed for this part of the case, since the audience didn't even get to know the prop girl at all, making it obvious that she's irrelevant to the case due to how they didn't even bother introducing her, which in turn made having her face show up as Phoenix was thinking who could've killed the magistrate even weirder. The whole surveillance camera thing was only shown in a still shot of Maya pointing at a camera, so it's like the investigation phase's also rushed as hell and made this week's court segment suffer as a result, since there was little the audience could do to try and figure things out.

...They also skipped the step/ladder thing, but I never found that funny anyway even though it's been a recurring gag in all three AA games I've played so far.

Samurai Champloo 7

This was way better than the earlier Kazuki Akane episode. A tender and tragic story which was backed up by some really evocative visuals. It's times like these when I wish I could easily take screenshots off Blurays. Fuu's dream(/flashback?) was especially striking. There was still some weird animation in spots, with moments of strangely jerky timing, but overall it was a strongly executed episode. I wish it didn't have to end the way it did... but it felt very authentic.

Narag

Flying Witch 4
OYEq5vil.png

Finally the reason I started the show is here and she's adorable. Shame Zach would probably off her for a silver trophy or access to a new bonfire.

Mayoiga 5

20 minutes of people speaking nonsense and 10 seconds of actual nonsense happening.

This has been a disappointment so far. 5 episodes in and not a single 100% confirmed death. And why the hell isn't Lovepon locked up?

Jarmel

Banned
Gundam: The Origin - 2
Yikes. The first half of this was fairly decent and the second half was pretty bad. The Ramba Ral scenes were again the best part of the episode with him just being angry at the world for how everything has turned out. The political aspects and maneuvering was okay, but there wasn't much of it. The main problem I had in the first half is why does this guy put on armor and use a sword to kill people? Like you can't just use a gun like everybody else? Do you really need to put on that much of a show?
MCXpfGY.jpg

hahaha aren't you subtle?
The second half has more issues due to the direction and writing to an extent. They start doing too many winks at the audience and it comes across as really forced. In addition to that, the direction for the dramatic scenes falls in line with how it was done during 0079. For example:
I liked the image on the left because it symbolized the loss of correspondence for Sayla and thus the loss of connection to her mom. However afterwards there is the scene of her screaming and the background goes black. The later scene comes off as too much and feels brute-force in eliciting emotions from the audience. The scene at the end with Lucifer dying and her brother standing on a hill saying goodbye while she cries and runs to him again feels overdone. There were better ways of staging that goodbye and instead it comes across as hammy. The scene also feels weird due in that the goodbye itself is cold despite the two having a somewhat warm moment just a few minutes prior when Sayla stopped Casval from killing that spy.
I still really like the character designs in that they were done to match 0079 however it seems like the production started to fall apart near the end as there were more off-character models. Using Shuuichi Ikeda for Casval was a mistake especially when placed in contrast to Toshihiko Seki, placing Char, who sounds much younger. Why though does it take six months for one of these episodes to come out?

Funny, I actually liked the second episode of Origin because the melodrama seemed more reined-in and appropriate compared to how out-of-control the first episode was. The polish of the character animation in Origin justifies the time it takes to make, I think.

Jarmel

Banned
Funny, I actually liked the second episode of Origin because the melodrama seemed more reined-in and appropriate compared to how out-of-control the first episode was. The polish of the character animation in Origin justifies the time it takes to make, I think.

I thought the dead opposite. The melodrama in the second half of Origin 2 was much worse than anything in the first episode. Especially the ending itself is just so over-the-top. The brother just walks away instead of talking to his sister like a normal human being.

I thought the dead opposite. The melodrama in the second half of Origin 2 was much worse than anything in the first episode. Especially the ending itself is just so over-the-top. The brother just walks away instead of talking to his sister like a normal human being.

I... don't think it would be correct to call Casval a "normal human being". After all he's been through, and all the violence he's survived and committed, his actions at the end made perfect sense to me - not that they're healthy, but fitting for his character. He wants to distance himself from his sister because he's committed himself to a cold path of revenge. He can't afford to get tied down with "weak" human emotions. Now the voice acting doesn't help sell his character - I agree with you that getting Ikeda back to voice him here was not the best choice. Way too old.

Jarmel

Banned
I... don't think it would be correct to call Casval a "normal human being". After all he's been through, and all the violence he's survived and committed, his actions at the end made perfect sense to me - not that they're healthy, but fitting for his character. He wants to distance himself from his sister because he's committed himself to a cold path of revenge. He can't afford to get tied down with "weak" human emotions. Now the voice acting doesn't help sell his character - I agree with you that getting Ikeda back to voice him here was not the best choice. Way too old.

I think the problem is that you have the scene before in the bar that establishes the relationship between Casval and Sayla and then the next scene with just the two is the graveyard scene. Not to mention the earlier stuff in the OVA with Casval dutifully watching over his sister. If the episode had depicted Casval as growing further away from Sayla, I might buy that.

duckroll

It seems several people have watched the episode and the proceeded to jizz all over themselves. I watched it and I thought it was just ok. What am I missing?

It's a super poetic episode that showcases Tsuji's ability to write a screenplay that celebrates Go Nagai's legacy, explores the demonic elements if ConRevo's setting, while delivering fantastic dialogue. Just a beautifully crafted episode all round.

pbayne

Say "I Love You

I think 13 feels like an OVA or something in that, as you said, the series had reached a natural end point but they had to fill time with whatever they could get. Great show though. Season 2 when?
Speaking of which there is an OVA http://myanimelist.net/anime/16868/Sukitte_Ii_na_yo__Dareka_ga. Not too much happens in it but it does set-up/tease Kai x Megumi

Defuser

You see all that crowd and all these girls lining up? They lining up for a Yuki Kaji event.
Some people may hate him due to the roles he play sounds whiny but damn he got the girls lining up for him. Seiyuu = serious business

Haters wanna hate, lovers wanna love....

duckroll

Haifuri - Episode 4

I don't believe human beings wrote this episode.
If they did, they must have been controlled by evil space mice.

So...what exactly happens in Haifuri that turning so many people off?
The reason they got attacked in the first place was because the instructor was probably mind controled by a hamster with a violent personality same goes for the German ship who kicked their vice captain off the ship.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom