• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2016 |OT| Get a Season So Complicated

Status
Not open for further replies.
Haifuri 04

You gotta be fucking kidding me. Holy shit that is the dumbest plot reason for this shit to have happened that I can possibly think of.

Danball Senki - 9

ChUJyMBW4AErpzd.jpg:large

AN UNDERGROUND TOURNAMENT FOR TOY ROBOT FIGHTS.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Kiznaiver 4

I think Jarmel was right yesterday when he said the direction was keeping the stupid on a leash.

That is part of it I think, also the mixture of intentional comedy is keeping this from veering into unintentional comedy. I think the premise itself is actually lending itself to the actual quality of the work as it changes the game so thoroughly. Right down to little spins on cliches that actually give them a hint of freshness.

So we all agree that Kiznaiver is good then. This is one of the shows I could see myself enjoying, but not AnimeGAF. I also cannot stress this enough, the OP is amazing. Everything about the show just oozes style.

Wanderer5

Kiznaiver #4

Now this a anime involving Okada that I really enjoying so far heh. After bit of a rocky start, this show been going uphill for now. The interactions between the characters are just so fun to watch. Also it nice that Sonozaki is getting a bit more involved with the group, and that game of Shiritori was lol.

And now to see what the counselor has in planned too.

Exalted

Flying Witch Episode 4

Nice episode, pretty chill with some light comedy. Loved watching Chinatsu responses and faces to different scenes, and that silent smile by the brother after the failed Dogy experiment was great.

pbayne

So we all agree that Kiznaiver is good then. This is one of the shows I could see myself enjoying, but not AnimeGAF. I also cannot stress this enough, the OP is amazing. Everything about the show just oozes style.

I like it but its like a house of cards atm, impressive to look at but you get the feeling it could collapse at any second.

Flying Witch 4

So witchy. Gorgeous episode, them backgrounds.
Probably the funniest episode so far. Kei is secretly the funniest charater, watch his reactions to everything. New girl Ikunai was fun and she bounces off Akane well.
I really wish they had resisted the urge to show her face though.

Just T

Sakamoto: 3

Dropped. Pretty much cool, well more or less, with everything else I'm watching this season but this gotta go. Just not feeling the comedy.

Jarmel

Banned
Kiznaiver 1-4
I haven't really done any sort of post about the show and it has progressed enough where I feel I have a rough idea about how things work and what the character dynamics are. If any other studio or director was working on this, they would have drowned in the writing resulting in a work that was utterly turgid. Almost all the characters here have been done before with various degrees of success. There's nothing really new on the characters' side and the larger narrative itself is virtually non-existent. The show's goal up to this point is, "Let's everybody be friends. Happy Happy Time For All." It's almost slice of life but the larger conspiracy elements prevent me from putting it in that category. Now for a show oriented around the characters, under normal circumstances having characters be almost walking tropes would be show-ending. In fact, that's still my primary gripe about the show is that a number of the characters are both boring and shallow. Katsuhira, Noriko, Honoka, and Yoshiharu are all kinda flat. Katsuhira has about the life energy of a mop. Noriko is a boring version of Senjougahara. Honoka has some bite with her comebacks but she's so utterly unlikable that if she jumped off a roof, I don't think anybody would care. Then there's Yoshiharu who's primary character trait is to be a perpetual monkey in the wrench. That's four out of a primary cast of eight. Chidori is on the borderline as she has potential, as it becomes even more obvious to her that she's going to lose. As mentioned earlier, normally this would be a death knell. However the comedy is serving to undercut a lot of the characters and dramatic moments, thus preventing the work from taking itself too seriously. A perfect example would be in episode 4 with Honoka saying that she and Nico aren't friends.
Most directors would have blown that up and made it more dramatic with either more tears or crying. Instead there's a quick cut and the next scene has Tsuguhito, another character who has an atrocious personality, pointing that out.
The last line with Tsuguhito has impact precisely because of how awful Tsuguhito's personality is too. When someone who is a piece of shit is telling you your personality sucks, well damn. It also works as a comedic way of undercutting the scene between Honoka and Nico by reinforcing that Honoka is just a bitch. Sure it takes the bite out of the drama however considering how stale the drama actually is in Kiznaiver, that's more than fine. That's something both Kiznaiver and Mayoiga are similar in, in that they don't treat the drama seriously. Compare that to Black Rock Shooter where everything was deadly serious while having scenes such as the below:
So far Kiznaiver is keeping an even keel to the dramatic scenes resulting in a work that doesn't have any real emotional highs to it, but it also doesn't have any of the abysmally low lows that other Okada originals have. So what is keeping the show afloat then? The comedy. I don't know how much of this is attributable to the director himself or the studio as a whole but the show has a comedic streak to it that keeps everything going and engaging.
Since the backbone of the show is character interactions, having the majority of them being intentionally comedic in nature gives the audience some meat to bite into. It's not just drama, drama, drama. This in conjunction with the surreal atmosphere gives the show more leeway than it normally would.
It's sorta similar to Kyousougiga in that there's a feeling that anything can happen in this town. Whether that's from people being kidnapped in broad daylight to student counselors using a real gun in an arcade (although this definitely pushed the limit for me), the whole scenario has a tinge of insanity to it. It's not just due to the Maromi-like mascots but background elements like the architecture or setting work. For example in episode 4, there is a curtain inside the bus that visually cuts the characters off from the outside world. Assisting that are things like the delusions/dreams that are marked by the scenes being all in one color. I'm not overly sure what those colors mean though, although I suspect scenes in red mean that they didn't actually happen.
We'll see how the next episode and the conspiracy elements progress, as the next episode looks to take a more serious turn, but so far so good. The direction seems to know what works and isn't lingering on the potentially bad aspects of the writing. Tenga and Nico are putting in a lot of the work right now, which is fine. However both Katsuhira and Noriko need to become more engrossing characters quickly. I'm not sure though what niche Katsuhira can fill up as it seems the other characters have everything covered.

Anoha-- err, Kiznaiver 04
The Boom Boom Satellites OP is honestly giving me Ninja Slayearrt PTSD. Back in black time. It's super trippy though. Probably one of my favorites of recent times.

DON'T YOU DARE MAKE NIKO SAD YOU ***.***keys.co*!!

So far, this ranks above Inou Battle (That show was super lame) but below Kill La Kill (Not quite crazy or fun enough)

The characters here are the strongest they've ever been in a Trigger production, though, so I'll give them that. I'm seeing three divisions in the main cast:

A: Sonozaki, Katsuhira, Chidori, Tenga: Our "leads", Tenga's screen presence will probably grow as I get the feeling they might go the
Toradora route and ship him with Chidori

B: Yuta, Maki: The more introspective duo, they serve the purpose of fleshing out the situation for us, the audience. Also they suck, so the audience listens to their dialogues in hope of some redeeming attributes. None can be seen so far. At least Yuta seems to be beginning to come to terms with his tubby history.

C: Niko, Hisomu: These characters so far have been somewhat diversionary; Niko and Hisomu providing most of the physical reactions of the Kiznaiver curse. Niko especially in this episode, since she seems to be the only one audibly reacting to nearly every one of the pain activations.

Next episode hopefully promises more action in this show! Trigger's greatest strength is their sakuga action sequences, and its been disappointingly lacking so far in these four episodes. Not nearly as bad as Inou Battle though lol what even happened there

I miss WIXOSS.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance

This has just been a very odd season in terms of expectations. I think this is no more evident then the divisive show of the season being My Hero Academia.

Swagmoto 3

Metal Gear Swag was even better animated

Luluco S2 E2

Everyone can awaken judge morphing, this show is complete nonsense I love it

Ace Attorney 5

Man Maya is too adorable fully animated, seeing her and Phoenix interact in a tangible world continues to justify this anime despite the many issues it has.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Another pattern I am detecting in the impressions and reviews of Kiznaiver is that nobody can quite figure out what is at play here or where the series is going. While that is adding to the caution and may be a thing that overall tarnishes the series in the long run, in the here and now I think that is another aspect of compulsion to watch the series.

zulux21

I wouldn't even consider Kiznaiver decent at this point, there isn't a single person in the main cast I actually like, and the entire "You have to do this thing* but I want tell you what." is just super annoying.

I've pretty much dropped it until it gets a dub as it's been super disappointing.

*thing as in do this objective, find this person, tell this secret just I won't tell you what I want you to actually do.

Ascheroth

It's definitely among my favorites this season. The character interactions are so much fun. Especially Tenga and Nico.

Tuck

Kiznavier - 4
Continues to be great. The characters are all really fun. I love the design of those monster things, they're so funny to look at.

The story has been really different than I expected - small scale stuff, mainly centred around relationship building of the main characters. And surprisingly not so much melodrama.

Qurupeke

Kiznaiver 1-4

Ha, I was looking forward to one of your posts about the series. More or less, I agree. I was very skeptical before its premiere, but I can't stress out how relieved I am that this is a pretty calm show with a lot of comedic bits. Yeah, the drama will be there, as Katsuhira's past seems to be a dramatic story, but if the show keep its current vibe, it won't be insufferable.

Another pattern I am detecting in the impressions and reviews of Kiznaiver is that nobody can quite figure out what is at play here or where the series is going. While that is adding to the caution and may be a thing that overall tarnishes the series in the long run, in the here and now I think that is another aspect of compulsion to watch the series.

Yeah, other than building the group's interactions and unraveling the mystery behind Sonozaki-Katsuhira, I have no idea what they want to do.

ive been thinking about concrete revolutio all day

wtf duckroll

I think people are very enthusiastic about the anime and I feel that they overhype it, but because of its nature I don't think it's easy for everyone to get into it at first, so don't worry. Its structure, despite making it more interesting, is kind of problematic. I'd say that you should at least give it a chance until episode 6. Also, don't forget to periodically check the timeline in case you're confused with certain developments. I used to check the episode threads on Reddit because someone had a handy timeline. Also, Narag's posts on the OT are very good, but check them after you've watched the episode.

Just T

Kiznaiver: 4

Nice episode, the character interactions are still pretty good,well for the most part since I'm not fond of Chidori. It's just been fun watching these characters together and the humor isn't intrusive but at the same time still it's not entirely clear what the end goal is, seems like the info is starting to slowly trickle in though but hopefully whatever they have planned has a compelling impact in the long run.

kewlmyc

Ace Attorney 05

For fucks sake, at least try A-1.

Don't do a pan of the crowd which includes the defendant in his chair, then cut to a shot of the defendant being walked into the courthouse to his chair. Is there no communication going on between the animation staff!?

First Shot said:
Second Shot said:

How does a show that gets 5.5% average viewings (better ratings than both Pokemon and Precure) and airs before Conan get the half assed treatment, while LN Battle Harem #268 that has bad ratings and BD sales gets all the budget?

Ace Attorney 05

For fucks sake, at least try A-1.

Don't do a pan of the crowd which includes the defendant in his chair, then cut to a shot of the defendant being walked into the courthouse to his chair. Is there no communication going on between the animation staff!?

How does a show that gets 5.5% average viewings (better ratings than both Pokemon and Precure) and airs before Conan get the half assed treatment, while LN Battle Harem #268 that has bad ratings and BD sales gets all the budget?

Shows in the pre-Conan timeslot - Magic Kaito, Ultimate Otaku Teacher, Kindaichi - all have low production values. For whatever reason YTV doesn't see fit to allot many resources to the shows it funds there, perhaps because they think they'll get viewers anyway just by virtue of the time.

High School Fleet 02-04 - We Are Running Low on Sausages

Boatgirls. Should I watch Girls Und Panzer? I've seen Kantai Collection and Arpeggio of Blue Steel, I'm just wondering if that is required viewing if I liked the other two.

WOW ship specs info dump, thanks blondie. "A Hind D... What's a Russian Helicopter doing here?"

I have to say though, the voice acting is totally on point in this show. Nearly everyone is easily recognizable, and at the very least our main group all has their own speech quirks that makes it easy to follow who's talking.

...Huh. This is actually quite good. Like, I'm used to watching this SoL shows as a guilty pleasure but this isn't too bad.

So apparently this takes place in an alternate reality where Japan was mined for their resources after the Russo-Japanese War and it made everything sink underwater. kk

Remember folks, keep your boats infestation free! No one expects the black plague. Or scurvy.

Cornbread78

Kiznaiver ep.4
Well, that was something. I guess we have the setup for a nice love triangle now. I think we have to know Mori is the girl from all of his flashbacks at this point, but I wonder when we will get the full picture of what happened with feeling pain... Overall, this was a pretty funny episode, but I wonder what the councilor is doing with those boys, lol.

Aki-at

Sakamoto - 3

Second half is scarier than anything Yami Shibai has produced.

So AnimeGAF, since I've been sick the last couple of days I've been playing a good amount of Digimon Cyber Sleuth that I'm interested in checking out Digimon Tri. I was wondering is the future at the end of Digimon Adventures 2 still the canonical future or has it been reset/ignored?

Ushio & Tora 31

Was
Negare's
betrayal handled better in the manga? I never quiet a got a good understanding of why he defected other then he really wanted to fight Tora for some reason.

Narag

It seems several people have watched the episode and the proceeded to jizz all over themselves. I watched it and I thought it was just ok. What am I missing?

I think it gets back to what you were saying about not really having any sort of affinity for the era. Past the most overt example yet of how absurd it is for the government to try and control truly powerfhul superhumans and how in the grand scheme of things humans and superhumans are far, far closer to one another than they are apart, it's just a lovely Go Nagai homage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom